Author Topic: Shadows Over Fuyuki - Fate/Zero season 2!  (Read 20939 times)

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Shadows Over Fuyuki - Fate/Zero season 2!
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »
...It was either that or "The Call of Casterthulu", and I wasn't sure if that was snappy enough. >.>

So!  Back to the Grail War, then!  Anyone else looking forward to the concluding half of this?

---------------------

[purvis]Let's make this a better OP.[/purvis]

The episodes are made publicly available here.

Also, remember that if you're going to mention anything that hasn't happened yet but is in the graphic novel, put it in spoiler tags and specifically mark it as novel spoilers. Not all of us can read it, and not all of us are interested in skipping ahead. Failure to do this shall result in Feem.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:11:13 PM by Funkapurvis »
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
Re: Shadows Over Fuyuki - Fate/Zero season 2!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
wait it's on already

YES

someone told me it'd be the 20th or something aaa ;w;

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »
...Wait really? I didn't expect it to already be back. Welp, not going to see me complaining. :V
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Moerin

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »
Yes, it is back and it is still as awesome as ever.

Spoiler:
VIMANA VS F-15 DOGFIGHT HELLS TO THE FUCK YES.

This is truly the greatest COOL.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Chaore

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:15:40 PM »
Spoiler:
oh hello tokiomi, thank you for further proving mages are eternal dicks and yes, my initial assessment of you is correct.

kirigitsu thank you for doing the smart thing

gilgamesh

we don't talk about gilgamesh anymore

we don't talk about this

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:01:05 PM »
I believe in Cthulhu and I am watching this.

it is an awesome start to a fantastic show.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
lolololol Kariya is such a kid

Greyn

• Microwaving, please wait.
  • Berninghousn
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Saw eps 14 and 15 on Saturday, aww yeah.  :smug:

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 04:14:17 PM »
Gilgamesh remains objectively the best. And has a
Spoiler:
has a magic jet for no reason.

Also, I am fully happy with what happened to Ryunnosuke; I smiled a true smile.

Rider, you're being as useless as original Rider. I expected better of you, man.

Chaore

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
well come on, he has an, ahem, 'SECRET IMMEASURABLE WEAPON' that basically amounts to a buffet for this guy

and can't work on water

totally comparable to gate of babylon. totally.

but yeah he's basically just kind of neutered as all fuck here. meanwhile saber gives no fuck about water.

that and i think he's just kind of not capable of doing much with his chariot that isn't running fools over and ramming so like

he has no use here by design. at all. not entirely his fault.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
For a normal character, I would agree with you. But Rider is hardly normal. Hell, he's just a trip to Shizouka from being a hot-blooded mecha pilot. If anyone could overcome being useless in this kind of situation, it'd be him.

Palewolf

• バカ狼ですよ
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »
Woho! Been waiting for this.

Spoiler:
I wonder how the guy in the jet is looking with all the g-forces those turns must have.
:V

I really like the new ED, especially after listening/reading the first season drama CD.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:26 PM »
I like how Gilgamesh only feels a
Spoiler:
light breeze while sitting on his PIMPjet
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 05:16:09 AM »
Spoiler:
I wonder how the guy in the jet is looking with all the g-forces those turns must have.

Spoiler:
He turns to mush
:D

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 03:42:14 PM »
My alternate title for this episode was "A Bunch of Jerks Have a Point". Is it sad that
Spoiler:
even Ryuunosuke was starting to make sense to me?  :o I mean, like, obviously horrible serial killer sense, but at least his reasoning was sort of sound in its own way.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
It's interesting, as I've said before, because Ryuunosuke and Caster really do have the best relationship of any Master/Servant combo in Zero or Stay/Night. Like, better than Sabre and Emiya, really. Caster respected Ryuunosuke enough to let himself be swayed by Ryuunosuke's philosophy on life, enough to really toss the whole Grail War aside, while Ryuunosuke honestly looked up to Caster and never really used him as a tool at all. Neither tried to manipulate each other or explicitly use each other as the stepping stone toward some goal. They're honest with each other in a way that no one else ever was; not even Emiya and Sabre can claim that.

Chaore

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
Oh I agree. It's probably because Ryuunosuke is probably the only TRUE example of a master who used himself to summon his servant.

Seriously, He had no special artifact and the dead bodies and stuff probably were simply fuel for the summoning spell. What attracted Caster was probably Ryuunosuke and his ideals, if you ask me. It's not surprise that they're the best servant/master pair. Though hey maybe I missed something.

Really though, the fun thing about master/servant pairs is figuring out how alike servants and masters are. It really is kind of a universal constant, even when the servants are specifically picked. It's also why Ryuunosuke and Caster are seriously best pair forever.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
I think of their relationship as Michio Kaku summoning Hawkins as a servant.
and I am not quite all that joking either.

Indeed, Caster and Ryuunosuke is both akin to a same book but on different sides of the covers, they are complimenting, as it is both at once beautiful a relationship as it is mutually damaging, in a sense if either of them (if possible) ever decide to change their ways they probably murder each other or become something involuntary. Not sure if there is a master/servant pair already at odds with each other like Lancer is with the new one. You can tell he doesn't trust her, and he certainly had no reason to like the former.

KFCbbQ

• Taking over the world.
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 04:55:28 PM »
Episode 15 is out gaiz  :flowerpower:

Moerin

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 08:45:32 PM »
...Not much to add on the Caster/Ryuunosuke discussion, as I pretty much agree completely.  After all, that's what made them such compelling characters, as well as compelling villains. 
Spoiler:
Kind of a shame we won't be seeing any more of them from this point on, really.

Also,
Spoiler:
EXCALIBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR!  The usage of the Sword of Promised Victory is never not awesome, ahah~  I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end as soon as that theme began to play.

Oh, and I suppose this means that
Spoiler:
at least the character designs from Apocrypha are canon, if nothing else.  Probably a good thing, as I always liked Jeanne's design.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Chaore

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 12:15:15 AM »
Spoiler:
oh god this episode was so carthartic

tokiomi just going fuck you and then beserker goes 'excuse me gilgamesh, fuck off' and BOOM

eeeeeeeeee

and then EXCALIBUR

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 10:03:38 AM »
wait
Spoiler:
Apocrypha is canon now?

This episode is all kinds of awesome.
Gotta love it when knightly values triumphs over all other complications.
Spoiler:

I really like how Tokiomi is like 'lol fuck this imma just gonna stand here with my pimp stick and watch you scrub your way through with your horribugs' and to think Kirei would be the one to save Berserker's master... I was really thinking him of actually taking Berserker away from him because Assassin is owned hard... I mean, Kirei at least knew how to magic, unlike a certain buglord
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:08:14 AM by ♛ 少女の醜態るるる~~夢~天国 »

Chaore

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 06:16:09 PM »
wait
Spoiler:
Apocrypha is canon now?

This episode is all kinds of awesome.
Gotta love it when knightly values triumphs over all other complications.
Spoiler:

I really like how Tokiomi is like 'lol fuck this imma just gonna stand here with my pimp stick and watch you scrub your way through with your horribugs' and to think Kirei would be the one to save Berserker's master... I was really thinking him of actually taking Berserker away from him because Assassin is owned hard... I mean, Kirei at least knew how to magic, unlike a certain buglord

Spoiler:
The thing about Beserker is that... you don't really want beserker. Really, Zouken is a complete asshole and really means for Matou to lose this round. Beserker is NOT easy to control, we're not seeing it here but essentially trying to control Beserker takes a LARGE amount of power and if you fail, HE KILLS YOU DEAD. Beserker trades a stable servant for MORE POWER. And most importantly Beserker almost always tends to die early because of this.

It's usually used to buff up weaker servants to make them capable of fighting in the war.

Look at Beserker and tell me he's a weaker servant. This also means it's harder to keep him in control, and kind of why I hate Beserker's Master because no random jackass with a year of training should be capable of doing this. It's dumb and stupid and bends rules again.

Kirei knows damn well eventually Beserker will break free, and he doesn't want to be in the way when it does. But he wants to see how things go with this.

Moerin

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 07:33:01 PM »
...I'm going to admit that this was the one scene from the novel I did not want to spoil, because in my opinion it is not only one of the best scenes, but also one of the single most important in terms of theme and foreshadowing.  Anyone who knows how Fate/Stay Night went will probably instantly realise the significance of this one scene.  So... I'm not really sure what to say about it, other than it is one of the best constructed and best written scenes from the novel, and I am more than happy that the anime did it justice.  Forget all the big fights, all the flashy powers and borderline ridiculous stunts pulled off before and even after this point; this is what Fate/Zero is all about.  This is probably one of the biggest reasons I think it's better than Fate/Stay Night, because
Spoiler:
you finally get to see what a bitter, twisted individual Kiritsugu has become, and what lengths he will stoop to in order to ensure victory.  When it really comes down to it, Kiritsugu is just a far more interesting character than his adopted son.  As much as I usually sneer at people who think darker and edgier automatically equal better, I have to say that this is one of the times where the dark, edgey, tragic anti-hero works so well; one of the best of those times, even.

So, um... Yeah.  Wondering what everyone else thinks about it, ahah.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 12:55:56 AM »
I thought he was already that way and it doesn't take much to cross the line anywhere in the sand.
Hell he already took out a motherfucking building for one guy, what is so hard to do what he did in this. But in that, he has evacuated everyone, so you can see he weighs heavily on innocent lives, as when those who are not in the battlefield do not deserve to die, and if they do, they do so at their own peril (such as watching Caster-Cthulhu in action and getting involved in it like those pilots.)

His is a sense of justice quite like poetry, it does not convey any sense of balance, but rather... a steep edge slope into an abyss of emotionless calculative perfection. If there was a God in my moral and theological belief, that God's personality would be very much like him. He does not force his ideals, there is no honor, as much as there are any chilvary... it is just child's play and Kiritsugu has progressed way beyond that stage... he is in what I call 'enlighten' to see the world as it is, a dark hellhole, he wants his piece of the pie and he has no reason not to commit his evils, and yet his reason is surely itself just.

He is in a sense... beautiful.
in a Hannibal Lecterish kinda way, but even that would be an insult, he is... probably way scarier, while people ponder on scarce and petty issues like knights honor and trying to win the fight, he wants to win the fucking war, capture every POW, torture them, set fire to them, make their country sign a tribute delivery every 3 months, and ensure his own citizens get PR whenever they migrate and have human rights at the same time... he will trample your shit, and all for the common good of everyone except himself and those he view to be his stepping stone to his ultimate goal.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:47:15 AM by ♛ 少女の醜態るるる~~夢~天国 »

Chaore

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
I liked this episode.

I liked this episode a lot.

Edit: Except that silly foreshadowing bit. That was hammy and needless.

Edit"
Spoiler:
Okay Minds recovered. I liked this. Mostly because god damn Kirigitsu pulls shit off with class. Unfortunately.... not without flaws. Diarmund in particular just hammed up hard and uggghhh you were doing so well. Archibel I can somewhat forgive for being an idiot because he's clearly insane at this point. Sola got what she deserved.

I think this was an excellent scene though. We took way too long to get here though, frankly.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:19:52 AM by Chaore »

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
Excellent last couple episodes. 
Spoiler:
As for this week's, Lancer's breakdown was hammy, but his eyes were freaking me the hell out at the end there.

I was happy that Saber finally got to be on the giving, rather than receiving end of a "your values are totally messed and unrealistic up what is wrong with you" speech. Not that I disagree with anything Rider said last season, he was absolutely right, but she I was glad she'd at least get her own chance to call someone out.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »
Wow, Kiritsugu's
Spoiler:
past is really fucked up, his father is... though not fucked up reflected all his learned values and how he applies them as the Mage Killer he is now...

Sality

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
Wow, Kiritsugu's
Spoiler:
past is really fucked up, his father is... though not fucked up reflected all his learned values and how he applies them as the Mage Killer he is now...
and the scarier thing is,
Spoiler:
he didn't even hesitate. That's just sick.

It's stated that Shirley eventually died after her transformation into a vampire, but is it really not shown (her death-scene) or maybe I missed it ?

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 05:49:12 AM »
It's stated that Shirley eventually died after her transformation into a vampire, but is it really not shown (her death-scene) or maybe I missed it ? [/spoiler]
It's not explicitly stated (or shown), and the anime adaptation changed some things.

Spoiler:
In the anime, Kiritsugu stabbed his father before shooting him.  The dagger was a gift from Shirley, so it's possible that after Shirley pled for for him to kill her he did as she asked.  If he was the one that killed her, that might help explain why he didn't hesitate to kill his father.  In the novel he shot his father in the back while the latter was trying to escape.  Maybe the change in the anime was filling in details, maybe not.

If Kiritsugu didn't kill her, the Church's Executors and the Mage's Association's Enforcers did.  Kiritsugu was the only survivor from the purge.

Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?