Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)  (Read 47627 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 9)
« Reply #660 on: July 01, 2012, 10:22:12 PM »
>Check cloth for drips or leaking.

>You move over and examine the cloth. It is cold, certainly, but doesn't appear to be especially damp. You think it must be well-wrapped or waterproof or something.
>Natsumi stirs a little.

« Reply #661 on: July 01, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »
>Back away, slowly and quietly. We don't want to disturb her.

« Reply #662 on: July 01, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
>Back away, slowly and quietly. We don't want to disturb her.

>You back away quietly. Natsumi shifts a bit in the bed, but doesn't appear to wake.

« Reply #663 on: July 01, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »
>Rest easy, sailor. If fortune favors you, when you awake, this unpleasant affair will be a memory, and open skies will be waiting for you.
>Stick our head in the doorway of our room, just to see how badly it's been ransacked, then go find that linen closet from earlier, so we can clean ourselves up a bit.

« Reply #664 on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »
>Rest easy, sailor. If fortune favors you, when you awake, this unpleasant affair will be a memory, and open skies will be waiting for you.
>Stick our head in the doorway of our room, just to see how badly it's been ransacked, then go find that linen closet from earlier, so we can clean ourselves up a bit.

>You wish Natsumi well, then exit and pop back into your own room once again. It doesn't really look too disturbed, though frankly there isn't much here to disturb. It's obvious someone's rooted through your spare outfits, though, but a few wrinkles are the least of your concerns at this point. You exit and head past the galley to where they keep the linens.

>Things here still look as neat and tidy as you'd expect them to be after the ship taking a series of nose-dives. It doesn't look like anyone's made an effort to clear things out or scrutinize the insides of all the cupboards yet, at least.

« Reply #665 on: July 01, 2012, 11:06:11 PM »
>Hmmmm.
>Glance to our left and right. Are there any pirates in clear evidence?

« Reply #666 on: July 01, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
>Hmmmm.
>Glance to our left and right. Are there any pirates in clear evidence?

>You glance around, but you're fairly certain there's none in this area of the ship at the moment. You can still faintly hear the one in the pantry and further back in the hall, as well as quite a bit more movement and conversation from below you.

« Reply #667 on: July 01, 2012, 11:11:55 PM »
>Enter the room and pull the door to, but leave it ajar, so we can hear things coming.
>Grab a towel or something to wipe off and wrap around the wound on our leg.
>Our treasure sense still isn't detecting anything out of the ordinary, is it?

« Reply #668 on: July 02, 2012, 02:09:34 AM »
>Enter the room and pull the door to, but leave it ajar, so we can hear things coming.
>Grab a towel or something to wipe off and wrap around the wound on our leg.
>Our treasure sense still isn't detecting anything out of the ordinary, is it?

>You step inside and close the door a little behind you.
>Then you fetch a towel from one of the cupboards and try to wipe away some of the blood from around the wound on your leg. You hiss and tense up the moment the fabric rubs across the injury. Dammit, the weave is too coarse to be doing this! You steel yourself and try dabbing it instead. This is somewhat better, but every contact the material makes with your wound still draws a suffuced rush of pain from it, like a smoldering burn, and the towel is quickly stained red. Your leg wobbles and threatens to buckle as you work on it, so you brace yourself up against a cabinet with your free arm. Still, once most of blood covering the injury is blotted up, it doesn't appear to be bleeding much anymore. A little, perhaps, but nothing terrible. You're not sure this is the best thing to construct a makeshift bandage out of, though. It's really too large to properly wrap around the injury without cutting it down to size and you're not sure you should be taking a knife to their towels.
>Nothing new or notable has brushed across your senses since you've been down here, at least, but you haven't really stopped for a detailed examination either.

« Reply #669 on: July 02, 2012, 02:28:36 AM »
>Well, we seem to have a chance now.
>Turn our senses outwards. Try to find any metal...
>Actually, we'll need our dousing rods for this, won't we.
>Produce them, and scan the area for any metallic object or substance that seems out of place aboard a ship like this. And keep our ears open for the sound of movement outside the door, of any kind.

« Reply #670 on: July 02, 2012, 02:58:40 AM »
>Well, we seem to have a chance now.
>Turn our senses outwards. Try to find any metal...
>Actually, we'll need our dousing rods for this, won't we.
>Produce them, and scan the area for any metallic object or substance that seems out of place aboard a ship like this. And keep our ears open for the sound of movement outside the door, of any kind.

>You decide to take this moment of privacy to have another scan of the ship, so you pull your dowsing rods out and start to look for any metallic objects that seem out of place. Metal, of course, can be found in abundance on the ship; there's nails and hinges, light fixtures and door knobs, rotors and scaffolding, and several rarer metals in the engine block itself. And, of course, weapons. Several spots of moving metal around the ship are undoubtedly these, sheathed at the side of pirates as they go about the business. They're a little hard to differentiate with precision, but nothing about them strikes you as odd. Narrowing your focus a bit, you can also detect smaller quantities of precious metals, mostly stationary. Some it's probably coinage, and others jewelry. There's no way to tell if any of it would have historical significance, of course - an inert gold ring is an inert gold ring, whether it belonged to the first emperor of Rhashaval or the florist down the row. If the relic is only important in this sense, there's no chance of you finding by this method; it could be lost among a bunch of similar items and you'd have no way to know. You let out a grumble. It would really help if you knew what you were looking for!
>Even without focusing on it, you can pick up a faint numb hum from above that you suspect may be Karu's bounding field. You can't sense spiritual power directly, but you guess that whatever she's doing has affected the space itself enough to differentiate it from the surrounding area. That or it's drawing on magic of some sort directly - onmyoudo isn't your specialty, to say the least. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be a distraction, but you find your focus difficult to muster at the moment. You may be good, but it takes a lot of effort to zero in on minute details, and you're pretty much all out of effort to spend. A broad picture is easy to get, but without a guide or something leaping out at you, you'll need to scrutinize every minor detail in methodical fashion. It's going to be a tall order.

>You hear footsteps approaching.

« Reply #671 on: July 02, 2012, 03:09:24 AM »
>Was worth a shot.
>Stash tools of scanning, and pick our towel back up.
>As the footsteps approach, towel off the remaining wet blood on our body. Make an attempt to look at least less-bloodstained.

« Reply #672 on: July 02, 2012, 03:17:28 AM »
>Was worth a shot.
>Stash tools of scanning, and pick our towel back up.
>As the footsteps approach, towel off the remaining wet blood on our body. Make an attempt to look at least less-bloodstained.

>You decide to pack up, rather than explain yourself to whoever is approaching, and quickly stash your dowsing rods once more.
>Then you resume your cleanup efforts, wiping off the various other cuts and gouges you've sustained. Most of these hurt much less to clean than your leg did, though saying that you ache all over would be something of an understatement at the moment. The one by your hip is particularly nasty-looking, though your outfit has already done much to sop up the blood from it, for better or worse. You really need a bath and a change of clothes, frankly. That bath would probably sting like hell, though...

>The footsteps stop before actually reaching the room you're in, and appear to step into another nearby.

« Reply #673 on: July 02, 2012, 03:23:03 AM »
>Still, better not take the chance of being caught with our rods in our hands.
>We were told that the majority of the crew was being held in the hold, so, head in that direction.
>But first, if there is a hamper or something here where we can deposit our bloodstained towel without mutzing up any others around, do so.

« Reply #674 on: July 02, 2012, 04:33:40 AM »
>Still, better not take the chance of being caught with our rods in our hands.
>We were told that the majority of the crew was being held in the hold, so, head in that direction.
>But first, if there is a hamper or something here where we can deposit our bloodstained towel without mutzing up any others around, do so.

>The only hamper you can see has a moderate quantity of linens already in it, so you find the freest space on the counter you can, and leave the bloodstained towel there. You think you probably look a little better for your efforts, though you know it's only a superficial improvement; there's only so much a little toweling can do to erase this kind of battle damage.
>Then you exit the laundry and head back down the hall, towards the stairs leading to the hold.

>It is almost immediately apparent that there are more pirates down here. For one thing, the open layout of the place lets you take in more of it at a glance, and also because they're talking among themselves. Some of it is idle banter, while other bits seem to concern the contents of the Maiden's cargo, its value, and what has and hasn't been investigated yet. You believe you can hear Ren's voice somewhere in the distance; she seems to be giving orders. A pair of tengu are readily visible from the stairs, grappling with a large shipping container, while another swoops above the far side of the hold before diving down and disappearing among the stacks of cargo. You suspect there are more of them hidden among it. To your right, you see a fourth tengu idly snatch a pear from one of the shipping containers and take a bite.

« Reply #675 on: July 02, 2012, 04:37:14 AM »
>Suck in a breath, and let it out, slowly. They won't be here forever, Nazrin, just endure a while longer...
>Are there any signs of the good guys present?

« Reply #676 on: July 02, 2012, 04:39:35 AM »
>Suck in a breath, and let it out, slowly. They won't be here forever, Nazrin, just endure a while longer...
>Are there any signs of the good guys present?

>You take a slow breath and keep your irritation in check.
>You do not see any of the Maiden crew from here.

« Reply #677 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »
>Well, they've gotta be somewhere. And that tengu we passed was telling the truth about Chisato, Miyuki and Natsumi. Matter of fact, dollars to donuts, they've got em put in one of those side rooms.
>But since we won't know for sure from here....
>Suck another breath, then descend the stairs.

« Reply #678 on: July 02, 2012, 05:32:07 AM »
>Well, they've gotta be somewhere. And that tengu we passed was telling the truth about Chisato, Miyuki and Natsumi. Matter of fact, dollars to donuts, they've got em put in one of those side rooms.
>But since we won't know for sure from here....
>Suck another breath, then descend the stairs.

>After a moment's hesitation, you steel yourself for unpleasantness and descend the stairs.

>Unpleasantness is not long arriving.
>"Hey!" one of the tengu by the large shipping container cries as your movement catches her eye. She draws her weapon. "What're you doing?"
>"I thought the ship was secured?" her partner ask curiously, though she does not seem to share the other tengu's aggression.
>The third casts an idle look in your direction as she takes another bite of pear.

« Reply #679 on: July 02, 2012, 05:41:19 AM »
>Arms out to the side. We're not looking for trouble.
>Gesture towards the weapon of the angry one. "No need for that, I'm not here for trouble. My captain wanted to make sure her crew was all right, and your captain let me come down here and check for her. That's all."

« Reply #680 on: July 02, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »
>Arms out to the side. We're not looking for trouble.
>Gesture towards the weapon of the angry one. "No need for that, I'm not here for trouble. My captain wanted to make sure her crew was all right, and your captain let me come down here and check for her. That's all."

>You spread your arms and state your intentions.
>The first tengu looks at you through narrowed eyes. "Then why are you still armed?"
>"Oh, were you the one who was supposed to go all plagued on us if we took that sword away from you?" the third tengu interjects. This draws a pair of dubious and quizical looks from the other two tengu. She shrugs and takes another bite. "I heard it from Narae."

« Reply #681 on: July 02, 2012, 06:54:44 AM »
>"That's me. In the flesh."

« Reply #682 on: July 02, 2012, 07:01:42 AM »
>"That's me. In the flesh."

>The first tengu stares at you as though she isn't certain whether this makes you less of a threat or more of one. Her partner seems slightly confused, and the third appears more concerned with her snack than anything involving you.
>"Go ask Ren," she eventually says to her neighbour. She gives you another uncertain look, then takes to the air and wings quickly towards the rear of the hold.

>The third tengu holds up her half-eaten pear and wiggles it by the stem. "These are pretty good. Want one?"

« Reply #683 on: July 02, 2012, 07:07:14 AM »
>Aren't we generous with someone else's stuff. Why don't you shove that up your ass.
>Sound more diplomatic than that when we say, "Thanks. Not really hungry."

« Reply #684 on: July 02, 2012, 07:40:02 AM »
>Aren't we generous with someone else's stuff. Why don't you shove that up your ass.
>Sound more diplomatic than that when we say, "Thanks. Not really hungry."

>You refrain from giving the tengu a piece of your mind and offer her a polite refusal instead. She makes a non-committal noise and takes another bite; it doesn't look like she's going to lose much sleep over this. The other tengu continues to stare you down, her weapon at the ready. If only she knew just how little fight there's left in you right now....

>After a short time, you see a familiar form approaching from between the stacks of cargo, the messenger sent to fetch her following behind. Ren looks a little better than when you last saw her and certainly much better than you feel. She is wearing that same serious expression on her face; you're beginning to wonder if she even has another. Your 'guard' spares a glance back towards her as she nears.
>"Stand down," Ren says simply. The tengu's stance immediately relaxes and she lowers her weapon. Ren continues on towards you without pause. "I hear you've come to make sure we're not mistreating the rest of the crew?"

« Reply #685 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »
>Nice to see you again, too.
>"Not exactly the way I put it. I knew Murasa would want to know how many injures there were among her crew, if any she didn't know about already, and that they were being looked after."
>"More to the point, if I may, I knew she'd want to hear it from someone on her side. And Aya let me come down here."

« Reply #686 on: July 02, 2012, 08:19:08 AM »
>Nice to see you again, too.
>"Not exactly the way I put it. I knew Murasa would want to know how many injures there were among her crew, if any she didn't know about already, and that they were being looked after."
>"More to the point, if I may, I knew she'd want to hear it from someone on her side. And Aya let me come down here."

>"Of course," Ren says with a polite nod. "Injuries among the rest of your crew were mostly light, though one did sustain a broken arm. It has been set. Otherwise there are some minor cuts and bruising. Most did not require any medical attention." She gestures graciously to the rear of the hold. "I can take you to them if you wish."

« Reply #687 on: July 02, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
>"I'd appreciate that."
>Maybe while we're here, we can see if she still has that kunai in her back...

« Reply #688 on: July 02, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
>"I'd appreciate that."
>Maybe while we're here, we can see if she still has that kunai in her back...

>She nods again. "Very well. This way."
>Perhaps once she turns around....

« Reply #689 on: July 02, 2012, 10:52:36 PM »
>She nods again. "Very well. This way."
>Perhaps once she turns around....

>Follow the pirate.
>Or take the lead, if she indicates. We're easy either way.