Author Topic: Cthulhu R'lyeh lets'play fhtagn! - Let's Play Cthulhu Saves The World  (Read 39637 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
So I even after I finished with Paradise Blue, I've still got the Let's Play bug. Rather than wring the last ounce of life from it, though, I've decided to use it as an excuse to play a game I've really been meaning to try for ages. That game is none other than-

Better known to most people as just Cthulhu Saves The World.

CSTW is the second comedy RPG by Zeboyd Games. The first, Breath of Death VII, was a play on the traditional JRPG in a world entirely made up of the undead. (Might LP that somewhere down the line if I'm in the mood.)

This is...well, the title sort of gives it all away, I suppose. We start with a tense opening sequence:

"It is said to have come to this Earth from beyond the Heavens..."

"While the legends are silent as to the fall of R'lyeh, they all foretell the same prophecy-
Cthulhu will rise again."

Mind warping? Who needs that when you have a goddamn sword?

Let's get right into the game, shall we?

Legendary proportions? And I only paid ?1.99 for it?! Sweet!

Unusually for an RPG, CStW has a variety of difficulty levels. Easy makes monsters easier and increases MP recovery; Hard does the opposite. I don't know what Insane does, because it only says 'You would have to be insane to try this difficulty'. For now, I'll stick with Normal.

And there's commentary options too? Wow. We'll leave them off, for now - might be more fitting in a second playthrough.

I spent a summer in R'lyeh once. Not enough dolphins for my liking. Would not recommend it to a friend. Also, eldritch abominations.

"Cthulhu sleeps while the world moves above him, unaware of his presence.
Until tonight."

Five more minutes, mom...

The world looks set to cower under Cthulhu's might, until-

fux

THE DARK SORCEROR LOVECRAFT?!

Dammit, Jesus. Why you gotta spoil my fun? :<

All I wanted to do was destroy all civilisation. ;_;

A long and arduous quest of heroism?

Eat just one Tootsie Pop?

And then I can HEROICALLY destroy the world! :D

Well, good thing Cthulhu doesn't know this, or we'd all be fucked.

OH FUCK

"If I were a lawyer, I'm pretty sure I'd find some way for that to be defined as heroic."

Rule 1: NO EATING INNOCENT HUMANS. I understand some of you may need to be reminded of this.

First thing it tells you is that you can dash by holding Shift. Like Touhou, in reverse. (X also works.)

I think not. DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION, BITCH.

It also carries across the Combo system from BoD7, which I'll explain when we enter battle.

Interesting little ability. I'm hoping I won't need it, though.

Here's the opening stattage of everyone's favourite monstrosity. Where'd he find the sword and tunic? No idea.

Walking down the beach, we quickly find the first thing every hero needs - a damsel in distress!

well this is going to be a short game

DAMMIT NARRATOR

Anyway, time to get into our first fight.

As a side note, holy shit this battle theme is fucking awesome.

The Zeboyd RPGs don't approve of you sitting around. Every turn, your enemies get stronger, with a 10% rise per round. So fight fast.

Cthulhu is basically a fighter. A rundown of the possible battle options:

Fight - A basic physical attack.
Tech - Special character-specific moves. Consume MP. Cthulhu has two - Insane Strike which adds the Insanity stat, and Deathblow which is a Combo Ender (more on that later.)
Magic - Spells. Consume MP. Cthulhu has no spells at this point. :<
Potion - There's one mainstay healing item in this game, and that's the Potion. Heals all ailments and restores HP to the max, but they're rare.
Unite - Besides solo attacks, there are also team combos you can perform with other party members.  Since Cthulhu's all on his own, he doesn't have any of these.
Protect - Raises defense temporarily, and also draws enemy aggro for a turn.

Well, it's about to get a little more endangered.

An exhange of blows later, and round 2 begins.

See how we're at a x1 combo now? Keep that in mind. Cthulhu finishes off the first enemy with another basic attack.

After that round, we take a look at Cthulhu's Tech window. Deathblow normally does 30 damage, but with the combo at 2 it does an extra 12. This is enough to drop the second Gooez in one shot.
Using a Combo Ender, unsurprisingly, resets your combo to 0.

HP recovers automatically after battle, but you only get a small amount of MP back. It's best to play conservative here, because moves like Deathblow cost a ton of MP.

For a game as supposedly simplistic as this, there's a nice bit of character customisation available. Every time you level up there'll be two options for the level up bonus. In this case, the options are Insane Strength and Insane Magic, which boost the relevant stat for Cthulhu by 10% for every Insane enemy on the field. Since he's looking pretty Tanky, I'll opt for Insane Strength.

Why do I feel like Questing with Dragons so much right now?

So, let's see our fair damsel and win her hand.

That was much easier than expected.

Oh god, I've fallen into Saya no Uta.

Thanks for the warning, game. Wouldn't have known otherwise.

Well, a free party member is a free party member. What can you do?

Explains why you were so useless on shore, I guess.

THAT'S MORE LIKE IT.

oh lord cthulhu has already penetrated my mind

One nice thing the Zeboyd games do is that there's always a chat for your party to have based on the latest thing to happen in the story. Like the rest of the writing, it's pretty damn funny.

An interesting anti-frustration option the games offer is a limit on the number of random battles you face, but with an option for grinding afterwards if you so desire. More games should do this, honestly.

Umi seems like much more of an all-rounder than Cthulhu.

So let's see what today's chat is.

Umi: "Yes! Her name is Penta. Isn't she cute?"

"I mean all I do is induce incurable madness in everyone who observes me. At least I have some goddamn fashion sense."

Let's take Umi into battle and see what she's capable of.

Her first technique is Siren's Call, which has a 100% chance of inflicting Insanity and Stun on an enemy, but only works once per battle. Her spells are Heal (basic HP recovery) and Flood (party-wide Water damage).

But now we have two party members, we can perform our first Unity attack. And when Cthulhu and Umi work together, they can summon a mighty creature of the abyss-

The Kraken! It hits for constant damage every round, and hits hard enough to drop everything here in 3 rounds at most. The MP cost is rough, though, and both characters taking part in the Unity attack have to pay it.

Umi levels up quickly, and has her own set of abilities to choose from. They're Hide (less likely to be attacked) and Insane Agi (10% speed bonus per Insane enemy on the field). Insane Agi is probably better in the long run, because Insanity is a key theme.

On that note, I should really try that out.

The gull on the left is insane, and the one on the right isn't. So now there's 2 insane enemies, giving out 20% bonuses. An interesting system I'll have to play with a little.

Cthulhu levels up again, and this is the other sort of Level Up Bonus you're likely to get. The options here are bonus strength+vitality, and bonus MP+Intelligence. I'm gonna build Chtulhu up as a fighter and Umi as a mage, so it's Strength for him.

"I forget. Is eating babies heroic?"
"No."
"Dammit."

These pillars of light will restore your MP, so they make great grinding spots.

Some level up choices are much more particular than others. In this case Umi has to choose between an attack that does good damage and causes Blind, or an attack with the same odds of blind against the entire enemy party that does no damage. I opt for the latter, eventually.

Noooooo gaaaaaaaaaame why would you make me do thiiiiiiiis ;_;

I'm pretty sure dictionaries would disagree with that definiohgodwhyareyoustabbingme

Yes, every enemy has a little description like this. It's those little attentions to detail I like the most.

The Mawfish hits damn hard, but Siren's Call leaves it stunned and Insane. Insane enemies, among other things, take more damage from attacks, so it goes down faster. However, it also increase the enemy's attack, so if you give it time to recover you will get demolished. Insanity's something of a double-edged sword in that regard.

Besides combo enders like Deathblow, a variety of other skills benefit from the combo counter. For example, Umi's Blind spell will now have a better hit chance with a higher combo.

Also, rather than Protect, Umi has Hide - which is the same except that it draws aggro AWAY from her. Given that she's not much of a fighter, this is fair.

Even at this early level the fights aren't exactly a pushover. Neither of your characters have much in the way of defense. You're expected to spend a good bit of MP to stay alive.

25MP for a 100% escape chance, or 10MP for a 60% escape chance. Hard choice, but I eventually cheap out. 60% is good enough.

After training the pair of them to level 8, we move on into the caves. By this point I've exhausted all the random battles, but I'm still not strong enough to say confidently that I can survive without my MP supply. This game is hard like that sometimes, but when you get more party members it tends to get easier.

"I've always wondered how it would feel to wear a sheep."

Wearing a fleece fills Cthulhu with conviction! For some reason.

We emerge out onto the cliffs, where we find-

Aw, shit.

So, in the name of the earth, you will punish me?

Switchblade is the least heroic name that comes to mind right now.

Dash the Daring: Will Die Slowly And Painfully As A Result Of That Claim.

Not just Justice, but GOODLY Justice. This could be tough.

Oh god, it's like she's one of those Harry Potter fangirls who ships DracoXEveryone.

Surely acting in good taste qualifies as heroic?

"Fhtagn."

The first boss fight approaches, and this is perhaps where the first brilliancy strikes me. In order to win this fight, I play it like an annoying RPG boss and start by driving the Cleric insane so she can't cast. She starts using a terrible physical attack and goes down quickly. Likewise with the thief, and on his own the Dash the Daring can't hold a candle to Cthulhu's might.

Score one for tentacled abominations everywhere!

Sadly, they're probably not dead. Cthulhu notes that since they're adventurers, they've probably respawned at the nearest church. As you've probably noticed, the game pays a lot of homage to Dragon Quest in particular.

"Vastly superior to my Sword of Non-Specific Material."

At last we reach the peak of the cliffs, and begin our journey eastward.

"Look at the ocean!"

what

Cthulhu. Abomination. Enemy of all that lives. Space tourist.

This fight's tough. You have a lot of HP to burn through, and remember that every round makes your enemies stronger. Time to use some of the skills I picked up.

Flame Strike does really nice damage (I picked it over Fireball, which was the same except a magic attack). Umi manages to hit her Blind spell on the first try, and-

Oh.

On one hand, this means he won't stay blind. On the other hand, this means he can be locked down with repeated casts of Blind. A one-off hit of Siren's Call also works, as he spends time curing himself of Insanity. That gives Cthulhu plenty of time to beat the thing to a pulp.

"Yay, I'm not useless! ...Hey, wait a second!"

You didn't seem to care about all the creatures we beat up on the way here. WHAT ABOUT THE DOLPHINS? DO YOU FEEL BAD FOR THEM?! ;_;

We finally emerge onto the World Map, with Miskatonia just to the east. What sort of heroism can we accomplish? What evil fiends will we defeat, what innocents will we save?

"OK, so what if it's a baby that nobody loves? Am I allowed to eat that?"
NO.
"Fhtagn."

NEXT TIME: CREATURES OF UNSPEAKABLE HORROR ARE PEOPLE TOO

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: Cthulhu R'lyeh lets'play fhtagn! - Let's Play Cthulhu Saves The World
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
Hell freakin' yes.

All the other LPs I've seen of this never got finished, which is sad.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 04:40:29 PM »
The first boss fight approaches, and this is perhaps where the first brilliancy strikes me. In order to win this fight, I play it like an annoying RPG boss and start by driving the Cleric insane so she can't cast.

...oh my god

brilliant

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 05:02:36 PM »
Oh God halfway through this first post and I already wanted to play it. You are very good at presenting a game, Rou

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
Nice LP so far; this is making me want this game more and more despite a distaste to JRPGs.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Molten

• Just a lil' goblin
  • A sweet potato.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:27:51 PM »
Nice LP and i agree, the battle theme is freaking awesome.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »
Man, I still need to finish Breath of Death VII

But I was a fool and set that to Hard, and it really starts ramping up like crazy later in the game WHY CAN THIS BOSS ONE-SHOT MY PARTY MEMBERS AUGHGHGHGH but when even the enemy encounters can kill me if I'm not careful it's a lot of fun!

And then I can play this.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 08:23:19 AM »
Oh damn, now I need to hurry up and finish this game. >__<  Its so good, and reading through it with Rou commentary will be guaranteed good times.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
LAST TIME ON CTHULHU SAVES THE WORLD:

Our hero protagonist, Cthulhu, was robbed of his power on the brink of destroying civilisation, washing up on shore defeated. To regain his powers, he must become a true hero. Thus, along with his new raving fangirl Umi, Cthulhu heads to the nearby town of Miskatonia...

-----

Miskatonia is a play on one of the Cthulhu Mythos's best-known locations, the Miskatonic University. (Google teaches me such interesting things sometimes.)

Doesn't seem to mind the whole 'destroyer of minds' thing. People are so accepting nowadays. <3
Though there is also the curse that makes Cthulhu so non-threatening that a bunch of washed up wannabes can take him on. </3

"Quiet, you! I'll have you know I have a tragic skin condition!"

"You think about taking the time to count each word to see if the title is accurate, but decide against it."

Hear that? That's the sound of HEROISM! We'll get to that when we're done here.

Well, at least he's not letting his prejudice get in the way of business.

I purchase as much equipment as my measly amount of gold can afford. This is another way of saying 'all weapons and no armour'.

Yeah, no.

Let's try the tavern for more rumoury goodness.

Yeah, that sounded appealing up until you said 'may'. I don't like that word.

From the way this game's going, I half expect this crazy old guy to be our next party member.

"DON'T SAY IT! Skin condition. Sensitive. ;_;"

One time they managed to open a bottle an old lady was having trouble with!

Let's head out again.

Well, this is promising.

Does this count as a quest? I'm counting it as a quest.

The bookshelves are full of little book jokes.

I once had this jacket that was the most amazing shade of orxnge.

Everyone here just gives battle tips. The only non-obvious tip is that faster wins let you recover more MP. Interesting.

You're lucky they haven't invented copyright infringement yet, puppy. >=(

Finally, there's the town Inn.

OH NOES, IT'S EVERY JRPG PROTAGONIST EVER

"I always knew my looks would get me somewhere in life."

OK, first point of business: Shane the dog. To the northwest!

It takes a long trek through a forest to reach the cave. This dog SERIOUSLY wanted to get lost.

Some interesting choices of enemies around here. I'd get through this much faster if I didn't have to stop and rawk ouuuuuuut every time I got into a fight.

Where am I, anyway?

...Well, shit.

Some spells, while not benefitting from a combo, reset it as a payoff. This is an example, but I'll take it because these enemies still hit really hard.

The side-caverns are usually short, but lead to some nice goodies. We quickly find the dog we were sent to find.

Please don't be possessed by the undead spirit of a ninja.

"Halt!"

Well, that's just about as bad.

Stealth? We can't have that. INSANE STRIKE.

While insane, the spirit has absolutely horrendous defense, and goes down in 3 Flame Strikes from Cthulhu.

Another difficult call - party-wide insanity, or a single-hit Insanity attack that also drops resistance. To benefit the most from those Insanity boosts, though, I'll go for Nightfall.

The dog runs off - presumably to its master - so we head back to Miskatonia.

A handy little feature the game gives you is the power to quick-travel to any town you've already visited. This even works in dungeons, if you're running low on MP and need to recover. That stops me getting invaluable grinding, though, so for menial trips I'll avoid it.

"And just for the inconvenience, I'm killing you first when I get my powers back."

Trance why are you a weapon o.o

The sword buffs Cthulhu's magic considerably, but at the cost of Strength. Doesn't really suit the build I'm going for right now, so I'll keep it in the inventory.

Next: The Shrine of Heroes to the east. With a name like that, there's no way it CAN'T be important.

The bridge to the south is out, stopping us from sequence breaking. Dammit, Zeboyd, why must you ruin my fun!? D:

Seconded.

"Pyro BurnFire, Stabby McStabstab..."

It's...not a very welcoming building.

The game wastes no time throwing challenging mobs at me. Four guards that hit damn hard? While this would be easy with free use of Flame Strike, this game makes you think hard about MP conservation with no recovery items and very little post-battle recovery. Being good at this game is less about winning and more about winning efficiently. Mobs are usually too strong for you to beat by mashing attack, so it's never braindead.

The first floor is a twisting labyrinth of bridges and underpasses that takes a while to traverse. Since I can't grind out the random battles next to a savepoint this time around, I have to play it fairly. Thankfully the game switches up with easier mobs now and then to let you recover a little MP.

This is one of the harder mobs. Wizards apparently have some control over themselves and can still cast while insane, and Orcs have plenty of health to work through unless you drop them with Flame Strike. Both of them at once is just harsh.

Siren's Call comes in handy once or twice, serving to stun the enemy and give Cthulhu a free hit. Handy to save MP at the last round or two of combat.

On to the second floor.

"How can you see through walls?"
"That's a long, fourth-wall-shattering story that I'll leave for another time."

New objective: Find Da Switch.

Damn. Cthulhu is so famous that even the architecture wants a piece of him.
(This fight actually got me killed because I was too stubborn to heal ;_;)

The options are 3 hits on random enemies, or 1 hit on an entire group. As a mean bastard, I decide to go for the former because then it'll be insanely good against a single enemy. :3

AWESOME

An underpassage leads me up to the next floor in search of Da Switch.

Oh, restore-point. I can almost taste you from here, and it breaks my heart. D:

OH GOD

THE LEGEND WAS TRUE

OH FUCKTARTS

Siren's Call plus Tentacles keeps him distracted long enough to die, thankfully. But not before casting another Pose. My eyes will never recover.

Da Switch - Successfully Found. Time to backtrack.

These little things are annoying as hell. They'll usually sit around healing everyone, undoing all the work you've done, but if you focus on them first the stronger enemies will do dangerous amounts of damage. Zeboyd doesn't refrain from giving you mobs that have useful synergy.

By this point I've run through the enforced number of random battles for the area, so I can explore as I please.

Boosts to stats and bonuses to Water/Ice damage? Yes please.

oh that feels so good

Umi needs to have some sort of damage output, so I opt for this attack at her next level up.

Right. Given there's an MP point right here, I''m going to figure that this is the top floor. TIME TO BECOME AN HERO.

Yup, this looks pretty top-floory.

ARFUR PENDRAGEN WOZ HERE

Cthulhu has been educated in the Cloud Strife art of heroism.

He reaches out, but before he can touch it-

i totally wasn't gonna steal you.

i was uh

gonna polish you?

yeah

Well if you're gonna be that blunt about it, we'd better get right to the point.

Wait, my third party member is going to be an actual sword?

That is so damn awesome.

Sharpe is honestly not much of a threat. His attacks just can't do enough damage to be any sort of challenge to Cthulhu, so he just gets wailed on every round.

feels so good

"Uh, yes. Let's run with that."

That was...remarkably simple.

So damn awesome.

"Ain't no rule that says you can't serve a sword. Don't care if I don't have any hands, this is a matter of principle."

Sharpe's only equipment is, uh, himself. Which begs the question - if I were to equip a different Blade, would he still be the same Sharpe? What if I equipped a different Hilt as well?

...I think I just blew my own mind.

Sharpe's addition to the party adds a variety of new options. His techs are Multi-Strike (3 hits on one enemy) and Deathblow (same as Cthulhu). His only spell is Tempest (party-hitting wind attack). But now we have 3 party members we also have a new series of Unites to choose from:

Fearless Charge: Cthulhu/Sharpe. Hits one enemy for massive damage, gains from combo-meter, but leaves Cthulhu and Sharpe on 1HP after use.
Noble Defense: Umi/Sharpe. Sharpe draws aggro for the team - and since he's built to be the tank by default, this is damn good.

Sharpe levels up immediately, and I have two versions of Brave Wind to choose from. One grants him an extra attack, and the other targets everyone but is just an Agility bonus. I opt for the latter because as he is Cthulhu is slow as molasses and about as attractive.

Cthulhu levels up again on the way out. Not the best spell, but it was this or a lightning spell that was basically an inferior version of Tentacles.

To Miskatonia!

Goddammit, they have a law against EVERYTHING nowadays.

The worst case scenario has officially been realised. Please, something, ANYthing, get me out of this...

"I'd have had a beer, but the censors made me swear off of it."

THE MANLIEST BARKEEP IN RECORDED HISTORY.

Only if I get to go out for a burger with the President when I'm done.

"I fixed it on my way here."

CONVENIENT.

"Consider your city saved, your women thankful and your babies ea-I mean protected."

Sharpe's waiting for us outside. Thankfully no-one tried to pick him up while we were busy.

"Oh, I don't actually walk on my blade. It just looks like I do. I actually use magic to hover slightly above the ground."
"I wish I could use magic to hover. My feet are tired from all the walking we do."
"Y'know, it's pretty tiring to hover. It's not like a free ride or something."
"Oh? Then I guess it's walking for me, then!"

Cthulhu clearly knows his tricks of the protagonist trade and offers no comment.

Anyway, our next goal is to head south and save the city of Dunwitch. Will Cthulhu ever become a hero? Will Umi ever leave him alone? Will Sharpe find a sheath that fits him? Find out the answers to some of these questions in the next installment of Let's Play Cthulhu Saves the World!

NEXT TIME: THOSE DUNWITCH WITCHES ARE DUN FOR

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »
You have Exor in your party? Fuck yeah.

I have to say I'm impressed at quite a few of the game mechanics here. The random battle limit, the combo meter, the delightfully uncomplicated levelup system, all good stuff. When I talked to Trance earlier and I was considering buying it off Steam though, apparently the game's main weakness is poor level design.

I also doubt I'd enjoy the humor much if you weren't narrating it (Beltman is pretty good though) :V

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »

Having climbed the Shrine of Heroes, Cthulhu's attempts at becoming a true hero once again fell foul to bad luck. Fortunately he got a talking magical sword for a companion, so everything worked out.
Now our trio of man(?), woman, and swordsman(??) head to Dunwitch, seeking heroism by saving the innocents of the town from whatever evil has befallen them...

-----

Thanks to The Best Damn Bridge-Builder In The World, the path to Dunwitch is open. Onward, to glory, and a continent of slightly stronger monsters!

One of Umi's recent level ups added a massive 40 MP to her pool. She's got enough MP now that I'm willing to throw out a quick Flood to drop a mob.

In return, you get the rat's rabies. :<

Dunwitch is massive compared to Miskatonia. Probably full to the brim with cheerful townsfolk and wealthy weapon merchants.

Well, that's distinctly less good.

Umi and Sharpe want to beat things up, but Cthulhu disagrees.

"Most of which involve brains and the devouring thereof, true, but that's not the point."

Cthulhu forces the party to swear that they'll kill as few zombies as possible. So, uh...heroism...?

The zombie strikes broke out rapidly when employers went back on their promises for daily cranium rations.

Gimme an E! Gimme an A-oh that's not what you meant.

The Deathleaders like this move. A lot. And when they're in a group of 4, expect some hefty resistance. Thankfully Sharpe does a good job of soaking up the damage.

The Monster Mash took Dunwitch by storm.

"Conveniently at the furthest point away from you, yes."

"The creature that started this mess. Did you get a good look at it?"

"Nyarlathotep, my old nemesis! This will be a fun fight!"

So the villain of the hour is Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos. Known for being the only of the Outer Gods to walk the earth in human form, he also has a variety of other forms which are enough to drive any foe insane.

Yup, sounds like my sort of guy.

*Fun Fact: Believe it or not, I actually played as Nyarlathotep in a mafia game once over at RPGDL. We lost, but I used my cover story as a journalist as an excuse to post articles at the night phase full of semi-blatant clues as to my identity (for those who don't see it,
Spoiler:
first letter of every sentence
), which eventually led to a dramatic finale where as the last scum alive I asked Town to tell me who I was. They figured it out, but it was a fun way to end the game.

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC.

This claim frightens me.

BOOMER

Instead of attracting the horde, though, these guys just have poisonous puke that takes off a steady 25HP/turn. And they've got a LOT of HP.

Agreed. Nowadays it's all zombies and vampires and werewolves. Why does no-one appreciate a good fishman anymore?

Amusingly you can have fights inside this poor man's house and he doesn't seem to mind.

Not as damaging as the Slow Strike, but the status effect is a nice touch for boss fights.

Sharpe has to choose between Flame Strike and Ice Strike. Cthulhu's already got the former, so Sharpe takes the latter.

I agree! Seiga is so much more attractive than this...thing.

why does this exist

FUCK THE POLICE

Seriously, this move hits really hard, enough to drop just about anyone to half life. Fortunately it's relatively rare.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

(Seriously though Flood/Tempest abuse wasted these guys)

Darkness is its own element, and now Cthulhu can wield it! (The other option did less damage and had no stat effect but was a Combo Finisher.)

Plenty of bad meals, though. Like Burger King and what he finds in the garbage behind his local Sub-Way.

One more level from Sharpe before we continue on, and I choose Sharpen over Stalwart Heart (Heal/Defend).

Anyway, now we've cleared that out, we're free to take a look around the city.

"And it's a designer brand, too! Today's my lucky day! ^w^"

"...Actually, you know what? I'm fine."

I'm not sure if this qualifies as heroic or just plain suicidal.

All these zombies are too busy dancing to fight you, but they're more than happy to block your path. Getting through Dunwitch involves long, convoluted paths through houses, out back doors, and sometimes through smashed-in walls.

"Uh...how do I say this?"
"Well...that is, so to say..."
"Your brother has a terminal case of Deathitis. On the bright side, he's never been a better dancer in his life."

Sharpe is now Sharpe-r.

I approve of your marketing strategy, good sir.

I have to lose Umi's Spell Bonus for this, but the poison effect makes it worth it.

Moving further to the east...

Eh, she'll be fine. She's got a whip. That means she's a Belmont, right?

See? She can handle herself.

Huh, didn't expect to fill out the party this fast. Still, if the option's there...

Man, good thing everyone I meet is already insane.

"Dark lord?"

"She wears purple, which is the colour of my text, so..."

October is a necromancer who was looking to take some of these zombies for herself, but couldn't control them. But...I am skeptical about trusting her. Having been Nyarathotep in a past life, this meeting comes across to me as a little too...convenient.

October is the hardcore mage of the party. While Umi focuses more on status effects and flash floods, October prefers raw damage and burning things.

Her physical attack is garbage, but she has three very good spells to start with:

Fireball - hits one group for fire damage.
Dark Blast - hits one enemy for heavy Dark element damage, adds Insanity.
Quake - hits all enemies, and is a Combo Finisher holy crap

Also, we have three new Unites to use with her!

Dark Spiral: Cthulhu/October. Hits all enemies for Dark damage and adds Insanity.
Girl Power: Umi/October. Both girls get a 35% stat increase.
Whip Blade: Sharpe/October. Party-wide physical attack with a surprisingly reasonable MP cost.

It also hits pretty damn hard.

"How useless!"
"Maybe not. What if a cat joins our group?"
"Hahaha! How ridiculous would that be!"

Yeah, October confirmed for Fake Fourth Party Member. Which is a shame because she looks so gooooooood. :<

Meanwhile, in chat...

"October, how'd you get to be a necromancer?"
"It sort of ran in the family. Plus, with a name like October, I felt like I sorta had to get involved in the occult."

I'm gonna have to call you out on that, Umi. As a hopeless weeaboo I'm aware that Umi is the Japanese word for ocean, so you know EXACTLY what it's like. [/nolife]

Zombies invading? In THIS economy?

This is where I'll go into the game's biggest fault - the dungeon design. Put simply, the dungeons are either uninteresting or frustrating. You'll have noticed I ran through the battles before moving on just to avoid that source of annoyance.

Apocalyptic opportunity!

We finally make it into the east district, where we - yes, you guessed it - walk through more houses to get around zombie hordes. Dammit, Cthulhu, why'd you have to go all pacifist on me now?

"You mean all those TV shows I watched about Earth lied to me? Fhtagn!"

"That's incredibly convenient and probably only relevant for this dungeon. I'll take it!"

50 points to anyone who knew what a badelynge was without having to use Google. (I have no points. :<)
Spoiler:
For added minscrew, it's pronounced 'bad-ling'.

We find an MP point, which means we're probably close to a boss. Better give October some grinding so she isn't left behind.

I'm going to assume Seal is this game's version of Silence. Definitely seems worth taking.

Nice to cover all bases with the elements. The alternative is a group-wide attack, but having a finisher is always good.

Anyway, that's probably enough training for now. Let's go give Nyarlathotep a nice big hello.

That's not very maddening. In fact, it's kind of silly.

Not shown: Cthulhu looking away to his autocue with every other word.

I tried. I failed.

If you manage to kill the zombies, Nyarlathotep just brings them back. You could try locking him into a loop of constant revival, but it would take so long that if you messed up once you'd be facing a 300% strength boss. I have a cunning plan, though.

Amazingly, Nyarlathotep is vulnerable to poison. One good shot from Umi leaves him on the back foot, even when he isn't busy reviving his zombies.

This continues for maybe 8 turns, with the same order.

Cthulhu - Tentacles
Umi - Sting Strike on a zombie
Sharpe - Multi-Strike on Nyarlathotep
October - Dark Blast on the other zombie

This usually leads to 2 dead zombies and leaves Nyarl busy recovering. But what's the plan?

Notice that Cthulhu and Sharpe are both abusing multi-hit attacks. What does this do to the combo counter?

That's what. Also, thanks to a lucky round earlier October has managed to drive Nyarl insane, so this damage is going to be beyond overkill.

SO WORTH IT

"I thought we dropped that rule after I defeated the God of Antidisestablishmentarianism."
Anyway, given that Nyarlathotep has vanished and October is still here, does this make her permanent? I...guess?

Of course, they're still zombies, but that's not exactly my problem.

"How does a sword pose, exactly...?"

10 points?! I save the whole damn city and it gets me 10 points?! THIS IS A RIPOFF, I AM THE 99%

Beer does horrible damage to a zombie's insides, you see.

Dammit, game, you stole my Dramatic Ending Sequence. :<

NEXT TIME: STILL WAITING FOR OCTOBER TO BETRAY ME ANY MINUTE NOW

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »
TVTropes, I bet my Bizon and all the magazines in my weapons stockpile that she'll betray you, especially mid-game where the plot is thick.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »
NEXT TIME: STILL WAITING FOR OCTOBER TO BETRAY ME ANY MINUTE NOW
Spoiler:
Actually, I don't think she does - unlike Breath of Death VII, you actually have a variable party past a certain point that you can swap members in and out of.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »

We saved the town of Dunwitch from its zombie infestation, but more importantly we saved the zombies from the control of the elder god Nyarlathotep. Now it's onward to the Ghost Forest in search of more herodom!

-----

Once again, mob difficulty takes a massive leap to make up for the fact there are now four party members. October and Umi have enough MP that they can be a little looser with combat, though.

This is a reference to Breath of Death, whose protagonist is a skeleton knight by the name of Dem. (I will probably get around to his story at a later date.)

I...don't even understand this reference. Whatever it is, it dies when I hit it hard enough.

Although I'm meant to go through the Ghost Forest right now, there's a side cavern I can go through. Zeboyd used these a lot in BoD, and they usually had some sort of shiny new equipment at the end. Worth the detour, I think.

What a happy place!

"Like, dude, that is so radical. You know what else is radical? MY SWORD EMBEDDED IN YOUR SKULL."

This attack is not a very nice thing. This gets doubly felt when the next time I fight this mob, the werewolves gang up on Umi and knock her out on the first turn. :[

The maze is the same as every dungeon - an annoying mess of dead ends and paths that loop back on themselves. This does, admittedly, start to grate a little. :<

Eventually we get to the end and find our prize.

A brand spanking new book for October! That's aweso-

wait what

what is this

No fair, I'm the only one allowed to have party-wide magic! >:<

Umi seals it the next turn, though, and it just has to settle for a mediocre physical attack. In fact, it seems amazingly vulnerable to status ailments, because throughout the course of the battle Umi proceeds to seal it, poison it and blind it, while October drives it insane. From that point it's not even a fight anymore.

This is my new favourite move, if you haven't noticed.

Oh god yes that number is delicious you are getting that move.

So anyway, that new book.

Given that I throw about fireballs like they're going out of style, this is a nice buff to have.

Anyway, with that detour out of the way, let's get back on track.

I'm still hearing every word out of her mouth like it's spoken as an obvious traitor. I don't know why she puts me so ill at ease, she just...does. The way she was introduced frustrates me...

Ghost Forest, or Silent Hill? You be the judge.

"A cult worship site. We should be on our guard."
"But they worship Cthulhu, right? So we should be safe."

"Why do I only ever attract the brain-dead cultists with no survival instincts?"

This dungeon setup look familiar? If it reminds you of the Shrine of Heroes, it's for a damn good reason.

They called me mad when I said the squirrels would destroy us. Who's laughing now?

Hey, where'd the 700 go?!
(It turns out they probably calculated that number based on the stats of the Insane Fire Whale - i.e. assuming a miserable defense. So :<)

And then the three dark lords shall descend upon the land, and their names shall be Alvin, Simon and Theodore.

Sometimes the level design is just mean. The amount of shuffling about I needed to get to this chest is horrible. ;_; (It has a new whip for October, which doesn't mean much because if October's using physical attacks something is very wrong.)

Stun Strike + Ailment Combo Bonus = potentially endless stun-lock! =D

The aforemented Cultists who, sure enough, want to kill me. A shame they didn't think ahead far enough to come in separate groups that weren't so vulnerable to October's Fireballs. =(

That's better. Now I can only mash out the considerably less useful Quake spell. Good work.

One thing that's really biting me in the ass - everything in this area seems to have more Agility than me, so I have to take a full round of attacks before I can do anything. Frustrating. Thankfully the game gives XP to anyone who's unconscious at the end of the fight or I'd be throwing myself out the window in frustration.

Astral Designs: When You Wanna Feel Like A Star.

Sometimes levelups serve as upgrades to a previous skill. Here we choose between a damage bonus or having it hit all enemies. NOW COMING IN SEPARATE GROUPS WON'T HELP THE CULTISTS >=3

Soon afterwards, Umi gets a powerup for her Flood spell. Doubles the MP cost, but she's got enough MP to handle that now.

At this point I FINALLY run through the random battles, so I can spend as long as I need walking in circles to get those damn chests. >:<

I have no idea how this works. All I know is that it gives Sharpe two attacks. Frankly, that's all I need to know.
(He quickly gains a level which gives him this skill again, so now his basic physical attack hits 3 times. That's scary.)

"Aww, they even got the tentacles right! ^w^"

Cthulhu don't give a shit 'bout yo armour, homie. (It was that or a poison spell that October already has.)

Anyway, we're at the end of the forest. Time for the inevitable boss to pop up, correct?

I don't like this. Can we go home?

From where I'm standing it looks like some sort of obscure African clown.

So my princess was in another forest after all? Dammit, I knew those overgrown mushrooms were lying to me.

"Speaking from experience, Cthulhu?"
"Ugh."

Alright, ape princess. Let's do this, one-on-one, man-to-man-

Uh-oh.

She pulls out this on her first turn, which means every other enemy can wail on you without fear of death. Given the Mist Wolves hit for 40-60HP a shot, before the 10% powerup every turn, this is terrifying.

My first attempt at this fight does not go well. Neither does my second. This is going to take some hard work.

The protection, as it turns out, does not stop all damage, it just means the wolves take much less damage than usual. This is a good thing, actually - it means they CAN be taken down, it just takes a lot more effort than usual.

Also, remember who doesn't give a shit 'bout yo armour?

"Defense? What defense?"

This makes the fight easier, but not basic. The Ape Princess still hits hard, especially since it takes several turns to work through her massive HP count. I win, but only barely.

First time I've actually used Deathblow properly, and that's only because Sharpe is dead. :V

"Girlfriend? No! We just had dinner once or twice. It was nothing!"
"Watch out! Umi is seriously angry!"

I'm certain nothing bad will come from Umi learning that Cthulhu would rather go out with an ape-woman than her. Nothing bad at all...

Thankfully the next town is nearby. Maybe a frothy mug of...milk will defuse the situation.

A reference to Lovecraft's birthplace in Providence, Rhode Island that's so blunt it's pretty much beating you across the face.

Side-quest dungeon, or bottomless pit? I'll have Umi try it out later.

Umi suggests we take this seriously and try to help. Frankly, in any other game I'd dismiss this as a joke, but...

Ohhhhhh boy.

"GODDAMN RACISM"

"Crystals are overrated. Pass."

Anyway, after a quick restock on weapons and armour, we visit the ranch on the other side of the lake.

"Good thing there ain't no clause against alien abduction in my insurance policy."

As the source of the world's favourite beverage...milk, these cows are an invaluable resource. Let's check them out.

The moment we look at one of the cows-

It's like the damn aliens are showing off!

Wait, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

DAMMIT SHARPE, BE A MAN
OR SWORD
WHATEVER

Is this a bad time to say I have allergies?

what is this i don't even

"Paws! Long time no see! How's life on your home planet of Ulthar?"
"Violent as ever."

"long, we'll have enough firepower to take this entire planet with ease."

Uh, Paws? Kinda using this planet right now. Sorry, I need to save it so I can destroy it later. It's complicated.

please tell me it's not super happy probe time
i don't like that time of the day.

Now THIS is a cause I can get behind.

So...we have 5 party members now? Maybe this means October isn't a traitor after all! =D

And that's how I found myself chasing an alien cat through a spaceship to stop an army of mutant cows taking over the world.

...A little part of my brain just died typing that sentence.

Well, that's...fairly reasonable.

Zeboyd I love you.

Anyway, I need to stop playing. I need to spend a little while on some anti-psychotics just to make sure all of this is actually part of the game and I'm not going insane.

NEXT TIME: OKAY OCTOBER I PROMISE I WILL STOP GLARING AT YOU NOW

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
Isn't that chest in the corner such a teaser? :V

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
A cat is fine too.

There goes my precious silenced SMG.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 12:13:19 AM »
Someone gifted me this very game about two hours after I first read this topic. It's awesomeness cannot be contained once it has been unleashed.

Paws is the best party member by sole virtue of being a kitty.

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 12:38:45 AM »
Time for that Umi girl to take a backseat, where she and her starfish may lust after Cthulhu in a metal cage.

Don't lynch me.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
LAST TIME ON CTHLHU SAVES THE WORLD:

After making it to the village of Providence, the party hears about a local farmer complaining about aliens stealing his cows. The claim turns out to be very real, however, and after reuniting with one of Cthulhu's old school buddies we're on the job to save mankind from alien-cow-invasion.

...Yeah, the psychotics didn't help. This is actually happening. Holy crap.

Much to my surprise, you're not actually trapped in the UFO. You can leave and return any time you like. The Ultharians don't seem to mind you coming in and out while you destroy their work.

Being an alien, Paws has access to technology that us mere humans can only dream of. The Gunclaw gives him an extra hit, and the Force Field is a straight 50% defense boost. I'll swap him in for Sharpe for now, because I still like the Umi/October synergy too much to drop them.

Thankfully Paws knows his way around these demonic monsters known as 'computers'. I can't say I'm looking forward to the sight of a switch dungeon built by Zeboyd, given their previous track record. :x

His Techniques are Meow (all enemies go insane if they're sane, and vice versa) and Quick Draw (single strike, guaranteed to hit first). Magically he's the Ice caster, but also has a heal spell for good measure. And, of course, a new party member means a new set of Unites:

Tentacles!: Cthulhu/Paws. Cthulhu gains an extra hit.
Glow Girl: Umi/Paws. Umi's attack is doubled, but her defense is halved.
Witch's Familiar: October/Paws. Paws' Magic is doubled.
Mirage Attack: Sharpe/Paws. Hits 3 random enemies, benefits from the combo counter, but does not reset the combo. This one in particular has the potential to be very dangerous given the right setup...

This is not a joke. The other invaders gain Agility every time one is killed. The answer, of course, is a solid Fireball to the face.

Paws chooses between Heal All and Regen All for his first level up. Given this will probably only see use in boss fights, the latter seems like the best option.

Sure enough, you have to fight other Ultharians on the ship. And sure enough...

...they can drive YOU insane as well. Same rules - boosted attack, horrendous defense, and lowered magic. The last point in particular is a heartbreaker if it hits October. =<

Yes. They just went there. I have nothing clever to say in response to this.

"That's easy to explain. The ship has a cloaking device that's only disabled when we activate the tractor beam."
"Cloaking device? Tractor beam? Wha...?"
"Never mind."

Clearly, the characters are as confused by this sudden genre change as I am. x_x

Wonder how much Tim Schafer must have paid them for that reference.

oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
(October had the chance to take this earlier, but I just went for a magic boost because I figured that she already had enough MP as it was)

why does every corridor look the same
Paws you should shoot your interior decorator when you get back to Ulthar

"Duly noted."

Bonus attack, bonus magic, and 80 points of agility oh god what

"Though sometimes it flickers out of existence for a moment. Is that meant to happen?"
"It's not a bug. It's a feature. At least, that's what the guys down in tech say about it."

Well this concerns me greatly.

Luckily turn order happens to put October last, so she just fries the invaders after Cthulhu and Paws take the shielders down.

This would be less annoying if there was a way to resist poison. There isn't.

We go upstairs, deactivate another laser, and-

The word 'backtrack' in an RPG makes my skin crawl. :[

It's like Sharpe is reading my goddamn mind.

Anyway, back downstairs, up the OTHER set of stairs on the other side of the floor, and onwards.

"Oh, you poor tentacle-y thing. I used to get laughed at on the playground too. Kids would laugh at my skin condition, and call me slimy..."
"Then you devoured them, as well as the planet the school was on."
"Yeah, that was awesome."

This weapon is as good as it sounds. Cthulhu loses his Magic/Vitality bonuses, but now all of his attacks ignore defense.

It's like a slightly-toned-down version of Fireball with a better MP cost. Why not?

CHINA'S WORKING WITH THE ALIENS
MY CONSPIRACY THEORIES WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG

"Extra tentacle!"

(Cthulhu is not the sort to benefit from bonus MP gain.)

Better stats, but loses the fire bonus. Guess I'm switching up to Tempest.

The other payoff is that now her Lightning spell does awesome damage on single enemies. :3

"What's that thing over there?"
"I think the humans call it a 'couch'. Or at least, they will when they invent it in 300 years."
"Huh?"
"Nothing."

I won't go into detail on the dungeon layout. Just imagine this - y'know how it takes ages to find a chest? Well this time round you have to find the chest, then find the switch that opens the laser gate that's guarding the chest, then find your way back to the chest. Yeah.

"Just like my mother used to knit me. ^w^"

This could have its uses. (The alternative as a boost to Water/Ice damage, but I don't really see Paws as much of a mage.)

With that, we're all levelled up, all out of random encounters, and most importantly we've made it to the bridge.

"This will get me a bajillion hero points."
"Bajillion isn't a real number."
"Only if you're using puny earth numerals."

A z in his name? That's pretty xtreem, d00d.

My Two Pawz: a touching sitcom, coming to a galaxy near you.

"I thought you knew better than to stoop as low as working with hu-oh hi Cthulhu. Long time no see."
"Hey."

Things like warm saucers of milk, and balls of yarn!

This is where we're supposed to leave him to fight his brother alone, because that's what a man's supposed to do.

But Cthulhu's not a man, he's an eldritch abonimation. So SCREW THOSE RULES.

Amazingly, Pawz has LESS health than the Ape Princess.

This is not a good thing to see. Bonus buffs on top of the 10% increase make Pawz really dangerous really quickly. Especially since he's got a party-wide Snowstorm attack.

Another close boss fight, though Paws and his Regen All made surviving it a lot easier. Unless your name is October. =[

"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE."

Someone is about to push a button they shouldn't, aren't they? Personally, my money's on Umi.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup.

Well, Umi, you've sent us all spiraling into a cataclysmic crash on re-entry. I hope you're proud of yourself.

"B-But I wanted Cthulhu to say I was cool..."

"I told Pawz setting the self-destruct system to one big red button was a bad idea, but nooooooo..."

Well, this is going to lead to some very interesting anachronisms.

"A bajillion hero points, any second now..."

"FHTAGN"

"But I saved the world!"

"Curse you, Narrator Of Impossibly High Standards!"

Whatever helps you sleep at night, Umi.

Anyway, two new areas to look through. One's a whole new segment, and the other's a small detour leading to a bonus dungeon. As a raving completionist I'm starting with the latter.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The Graveyard of Memories: Where Dreams Go To Die (TM).

A little running tradition from BoD7 - there were graves all over the place in that game, and all of them had little quips like this. Some are better than others.

This is probably one of the better ones.

Or abuse his girlfriend in the name of love. BA-ZING!

wait what

"Hey, you're not dead!"
"It's a necromancer tradition. Having your own tombstone is meant to bring good luck."

I...don't get it, but okay.

brb, preordering my copy

Some of the graves just have famous quotes like this one. Catchy.

Oh god I was kidding about that ;_;

"Sup man."
"Nothin' much. You?"
"Eh, same old."

Finally, something worth spending MP on in a boss fight.

Now that the cheerleaders show up along with enemies that have decent attack, they're pretty damn scary.

Well, that's touching.

We'd Really, Really Like To Know Her Secret.

At least it wasn't Dysentery. :<

No comment. >_>

Too good for this sinful earth. ;~;

OH NO

I SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING WHEN THE GAME DIDN'T ASK ME FOR MY NAME

Anyway there are multiple chests lying around here. Let's raid them all! =D

Eh. May as well. 2-hits is okay?

Bonus defense for Sharpe.

"Can I be in the party again?"
No.
"But but but :sword:!"

And the final chest, hidden in the deepest part of the graveyard...

"I have no idea what highly advanced alien technology is doing here, but whatever."

Personally, I blame Yukari.

What does that even mean?

This fight plays out pretty similarly to the Nyarlathotep boss fight - take down the minions, the boss wastes their turn reviving them, repeat until victorious.

"Not bad."

With that side quest done, we're ready to get back to ADVENTURE. On to the next town!

But we find this weird temple place on the way. Maybe I should check it ou-

well if you insist

Let's just go to Kingsport, then. That sounds like a good place to be.

A town without some sort of natural disaster befalling it? Because that would be the most shocking thing that could happen right now.

Good thing player characters are conveniently immune to all menial illness.

Sounds like time for more day-saving, methinks.

And so our party begins its search to save Kingsport from whatever everyone is dying from.

"Well, as long as no-one opened the tank of incurable death spores back on the ship, this shouldn't be a problem."
"Uh..."

NEXT TIME: PLAYGUUUUUU

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
Hilarious developments.

...and is it me or is this game giving vibes and allusions to Phantasy Star IV? Having thoroughly enjoyed that game...hm.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:24:54 PM by 大諏訪子 Gang Empire »
Bad command or file name

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
Hilarious developments.

...and is it me or is this game giving vibes and allusions to Phantasy Star IV? Having thoroughly enjoyed that game...hm.

Yeah, cause the cutscenes are done in a similar style (PSIV did it first, however)
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »
Of course, the cutscene presentations are the easiest example.

I was thinking along other lines as well, though, including the insertion of the sci-fi element and towns facing major illness/pandemic issues.

NEXT TIME: PLAYGUUUUUU
Hahahaha, MBC Starcraft broadcasts at their best!
Bad command or file name

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
This face will forever haunt me.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 06:03:59 AM »
This face will forever haunt me.
Glad to know I'm not the only one moderately disturbed by it.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 07:57:38 PM »

We saved the world! But it didn't count. Now we're saving Kingsport from the Black Death.

-----

For some reason the theme for Kingsport is a snazzy jazz number.

"Now please leave. There's a horrible disease going around the city and I'd hate for more people to catch it."

Step aside, sir. I have the Protagonist Vaccine!

:objection:

Hair has no nerve endings, so it can't project pain! The witness is lying and should go to goddamn gym class.

And this is the true tragedy of the affair. What has the world come to when a man can't enjoy a frothy glass of...milk?

You mean that shrine my party refused to let me enter? SEE GUYS I TOLD YOU

"Lucky guess."

Rabies, ma'am.

Yeah most of the townsfolk tell us what we already knew.

"And that is why crystals suck."

The more I think about this, the more my head hurts.

So as you may have guessed, NOW we're meant to go to the water shrine. Let's do it and try not to boast about it as much as possible.

...fucking told you paws

This is Dacre, the old man from the town. He's...

Yeah. Also, he appears to be wielding a giant wooden spoon.

Umi, you are a neverending supply of QUALITY facial expressions.

You're kidding me. We're not actually adding this guy as a party member, are we? He's off his rocker! Insane! Delusional!

Yup, he'll fit right in.

As it turns out, Dacre is actually fucking amazing. He's actually a higher level than anyone else in the party, with more HP and MP than October, and almost as good a magic stat.

His position is very firmly that of party healer, with no offensive magic whatsoever. Unless, of course, you look at the five new Unites that he makes available:

Yin and Yang: Cthulhu/Dacre. Holy and Dark damage increased by 50%.
Mystic Rain: Umi/Dacre. All party members recover 5MP/turn. THIS IS AMAZING.
Banish Evil: October/Dacre. Huge damage to the enemy party, and DOUBLE damage to undead.
Honor: Sharpe/Dacre. Sharpe's Vitality and Will increase by 50%.
Vaccination: Paws/Dacre. All party members are cured of ailments, and are immune to further ailments for the remainder of the battle.

Swapping out Paws for Dacre because a) I need a proper healer and b) Banish Evil is strong enough to kill off entire mobs here in one turn.

Water Temple is Zeboyd's way of saying 'we're gonna basically use water for the walls'. Because presumably none of our characters can swim. Even the one who's been asleep in an underwater city for millenia.

"Hey, it's different! This is HOLY water!"

OK, I couldn't resist.

KRAKEN CHORTLES AT YOUR PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A PICKUP LINE

Unlike my example, where every kill is exactly the same - Banish Dead + Cthulhu and Umi picking off the survivors.

SO GOOD

Elijah Wood is a goddamn liar.

There's a stairway leading down into the water, but you still can't enter. I'm guessing we mess with the water level further in.

Brought into this world only to be destroyed. How tragic.

But fortunate!

Next room literally contains nothing but this switch. So it's time to BACKTRACK

Oh Rainbow Eyes, how I love to see
Your metric fuckton of HP.

It's around here I start to realise the obvious setback of my current setup. 1 Tank + 3 Squishy Wizards is not a good combination, and the AI seems to be aware of this. It likes to target October, taking out my big Unite attack before it has time to start. Quickly, though, I find a workaround.

"Huzzah! Useful at last!"

In fact, Sharpe is so useful that this is the exact spot where the game crashed on me.

Seriously. A fight started and the music began, but the game didn't draw anything and froze up completely. I basically stopped playing in a huff for a day before coming back to it, because the combination of technical errors + really hard dungeon did not make me very happy. :[

Regardless, we're back, and we're taking another shot at this.

ALWAYS I WANNA BE WITH Y(ry

Turns out Cthulhu's pretty handy, too. I just remembered that Protect also distracts the enemy from hitting the mages, so in the end he's more useful as a meatshield than as a fighter.

"D:"

A switch further in has us raise the water level again to continue. Does this look like a fun gimmick to you? Because it really isn't.

Drops his attack considerably but ups his magic stat and causes his attacks to do holy damage.

NOPE

Slight attack drop, but all other stats raised AND Cthulhu regenerates MP after battle.

YUP

As if aware of Cthulhu's newfound purpose in life, his next level up offers him this.

"DD:"

Umi forgets she's the water elemental of the party and starts learning lightning attacks.

Dacre gets the usual conundrum of Cast On One Guy or Cast On Everyone For Less Effectiveness. I opt for the latter because we need all the protection we can get.

you gave me one of these five hours ago game what are you doing

Too soggy to read :<

(Lose the lightning bonus, but better magic stats means a better Banish Evil!)

Time to finish off the random battles, get to the end of the dungeon, and pull up our sleeves for the inevitable boss fight.

Not approved by the FDA.

Rare footage of Umi doing something ri-

Never mind.

Possibly the most spontaneously heroic thing Cthulhu's done all game.

"NO-ONE lays a finger on my groupie!"

...Or not.

Compared to the dungeon I had to get through to fight it, the Shuggoth is almost hilariously easy. Bosses let me go all-out on MP, and in Sharpe's case that's massive - he has a new move called Sword Dance which hits 5 random enemies for great damage at a hefty cost of 20MP. This equates to 5 free hits on the boss for about 1500 damage/round, which is nuts.

The Shuggoth's main attack is to poison me, but Dacre's regen actually recovers more health than the poison takes away. It tries a shot at stunning the party but misses horribly, and Dacre's  healing means his damage just can't keep up.

Where they make a killing by selling it as the latest trendy soft drink.

"Excellent! Time to get the hero points I've been due for ages."

Yes, you get twice as many hero points for saving one city that you do for saving the entire world from alien invasion. I don't get it either.

Umi takes a moment to thank Cthulhu for saving her from the Shuggoth.

Like that time she nearly got you all killed on Paws's ship? Yeah, that was a classic.

NOOOOOOOO MY CTHULHUXOCTOBER FANFICTIONS ARE RUINED

Dacre decides to come along for the ride. With healing as good as his I had no intention of ever letting him leave. >=3

Onward to the port, where there are hundreds of barrels and exactly one ship.

Captain Nameless generously takes us onward to the next plot point.

Uneventful?! No sharks, or mermaids, or even pirates?!
THIS VOYAGE SUCKS I WANT MY MONEY BACK

The chat afterwards reveals an interesting fact.

"So...very...sick..."
"How does a sword get seasick, exactly?"
"I don't...know...hurggh!"
"And yet you don't get motion-sickness in battle. Weird."
"A true warrior never loses his lunch in ba-BLARRGH"

With that, we're onward to the next town of Alhazred and whatever calamity we have to save THEM from.
Spoiler:
Though given that the chapter title is 'Volcano!' I think we can make a fairly safe guess.

NEXT TIME: ALHAZRED A LOT OF BOOKS IN HIS SPARE TIME

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 12:39:28 AM »
So, would the Shoggoth be epically disabled had you brought in Paws and used the Vaccination unison?
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
Why are you surprised Dacre is awesome? You should already know that a loss of sanity is correlated with a rise in power. Heck, it's even in the game-system :V

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »
Why are you surprised Dacre is awesome? You should already know that a loss of sanity is correlated with a rise in power. Heck, it's even in the game-system :V
This... is distressingly true.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »

We saved Kingsport from a plague, earning ourselves a trip to the northern continent. Our next stop is the village of Alhazred, in the search of more adventure and possibly more puns on that name.

-----

Alhazred is a short journey north after we arrive.

Haz Al red the Necronomicon? If so, I think we need to be very worried.

This place doesn't look so bad, honestly. Nothing seems to be very wrong around here.

Of course, that never lasts.

Image 404: Heroism Not Found. To be fair, it makes sense - a band of misfit heroes can't really do much against the forces of nature.

Dragons, on the other hand, are totally our niche.

A is for Asteroid, B is for Bubonic Plague...

Step 1: Don't Build Your Town Next To A Volcano, You Goddamn Moron.

"Do I count as a god? Cause, y'know, I'm gonna go save you. True hero. Yeah. Worship me and stuff."

???

Anyway, after the typical refill of awesome new weapons, we're set to slay some dragons. You can't call yourself a true adventure before you slay your first dragon, after all!

But first, there's a bonus dungeon sneakily hidden at the distant corner. No way I'm letting that go unexplored.

This has so much potential it's ridiculous. Never mind Fearless Charge, there's the Paws/Sharpe Unite that's powered up by the counter but doesn't wear it down...

So where are we headed for the Secret Dungeon?

If this thing has goddamn ice physics I'm going to kill something.

Fortunately it doesn't. It just has harder enemies, of course.

BRUTE HAVE DEEP BACKSTORY AND INTERESTING DESIGN! BRUTE DESERVE BE NEXT PROTAGONIST!

I...don't get it.

The usual strategy of BANISHING EVIL holds true.

The XP rate of the Gold Wisps is goddamn ludicrous. I LOVE IT.

October levels up instantly, and gets a full-party Dark attack for when Dacre's not around.

And thus my dreams of stun-locking bosses are once again renewed.

Seriously, Gold Wisps are easy to kill and drop tons of gold/XP. It's like a Metal Slime, except a pushover.

Not as bad defense-wise as you would expect.

This pun actually caused me physical pain.

"If one sword has a power of 100, using two would make it a power of 200, right?" - Lloyd Irving

Cthulhu levels up again and picks up another Boss-Killer.

Which makes the Dress I just bought Umi completely redundant. :[

oh fuck

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

October levels up again and upgrades her Boss-Killer.

Excellent attack boost, but enemies are always insane. I'll hold onto this for now. Might come in handy later.

We run out of random battles just in time for the dungeon to turn into a maze. Whoo.

I get to the end, finding the prize of the dungeon - a new Whip for October. Also-

How did it fit in the chest? We will never know.

Rare footage of John Milton in an RPG.

Fallen Angel heals itself every other round. The healing value starts at 4400, and increases by 800 every 2 rounds. This is a fight of outright damage output, but we're pretty good at that.

Sadly, Combo Master doesn't stack. But it DOES raise the combo counter to ludicrous levels, so...

"Hell yes."

It's almost like physical attacks with October are a good idea now.

Of course, they never are.

I hang around for a while, because those Gold Wisps are too good not to take advantage of.

Umi's Flood is quickly starting to rival the Banish Evil setup. And if she equips the Aqua Trident, she gets a 50% boost at the cost of Attack.

Tempting.

A strange move for Paws to pick up, but we'll take it. (The alternative was Magic at the cost of Vitality.)

For once I pick the single-character buff, because buffing Sharpe and Cthulhu for great Attack bonuses is better than giving them weak bonuses along with the mages.

Rather than upgrading Fireball, October opts for a little extra DPS.

While I'm in the middle of grinding out some easy levels, something comes to me. I start grinding not just experience, but gold as well. All will become clear when I hit the magic number.

Meanwhile, Umi gets the best healing spell in the game, and October gets bonus MP recovery.

Again, only October/Umi would really benefit from these boosts, so single-character buff gets picked.

It's so beautiful.

My life is now complete.

The entire party levels up AGAIN. We've gained about 5 levels since we came in here, which is ridiculous. Also:

Look at that money. Now, remember that store back in Miskatonia?

We can afford it now.

"Wow! So, does this mean I'm the heroine?"
Uh. I guess.
"And the hero and the heroine always get together, right?"
Well-
"This is the best thing ever! <3"

I bring Umi into the party, dropping out Sharpe and giving her the Aqua Trident so we can test this setup. And-

Yeah, Flood + Banish Evil will curb-stomp pretty much everything right now.

After I'm finally content with my bank balance and my party, we step out of the Ice Cave and back into the actual plot.

His suspicions are probably aided by the fact EVERYONE IN ALHAZRED SAID THERE WAS A DRAGON IN HERE.

Sadly, he's no match for October and Dacre with their Evil-Sealing Circle.

Everything else, less so.

And third-degree burns.

Blah blah blah same dungeon layout as every other dungeon. You get the picture.

"All I know how to do is blow up ;_;"

These guys have a hard-hitting full-party spell and can survive a turn of Banish/Flood, so they're not fun.

A-Rex, though? He was a wuss.

Also, why are there dinosaurs inside a volcano, exactly...?

Odds are we've got some more Elder Gods to beat down, so this seems wise.

On principle, I run through the random encounters before continuing past the MP recovery point towards what's almost definitely a boss.

Nope. Just more dungeon.

*sigh*

Rings of power, inside a volcano...oh god are we gonna get possessed by Sauron D:

OK, this way leads outside. That's got to be good.

If Paradise Blue has taught me anything, that's actually chocolate instead of lava.

Well, nothing here. Better just turn around and-

Aaaaand there we go.

A very important clarification to make.

Frankly, my team's a little ill-balanced for a boss fight. Sharpe would probably do better in Umi's place, but we'll see how things go.

October gets to try out Rain of Fire, and it's pretty damn awesome. Thanks to the Volcanic Tome she picked up earlier and I was too lazy to capture, she gets a boost to fire damage, so this is generally pretty sweet.

I summon a Kraken and poison it for good measure, so it's taking about 1300 points of damage per turn before I land any hits. :3

It hits hard enough to drop October in one hit, but Umi's new Keep Fighting ability brings her back up. Then she dies again. =[

Either way, we make it through the fight without much trouble. Thanks, Gold Wisps! =D

Meanwhile, Dacre finally gets his own attack spell!

The dragon begs for its life while we tally up our hero points.

Still not enough, unsurprisingly.

But I'm reeeeeeeeeeally close now!

Oh man, are we-

FUCK YES

He's a party member and an airship rolled into one!

So, it seems like we're coming up to the last segment of the game. Will Cthulhu become a true hero? Will Umi find love? And where the hell did the Warriors of Goodly Justice go?

We'll find out when I'm done flying around the world on my personal dragon. So awesome~

NEXT TIME: HOLY SHIT I AM NEVER GETTING BACK TO THE MAIN PLOT EVER

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
I...don't get it.
When Harry Met ______ ? Possibly.

This LP is fabulous and you should feel fabulous.