Author Topic: Pound on the Gates of Heaven! Akyu Quest Concluded!  (Read 32921 times)

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Re: Pound on the Gates of Heaven! Akyu Quest Concluded!
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2011, 06:49:21 AM »
Hm...Let me know if you think this will work, everybody(Fightest:  Do not parse unless at least one person(preferably more) agrees to the idea first.):

>"I would like to challenge you to a debate, Shrine Maiden of the Hakurei.  I feel it is perhaps the best way to settle this matter peacefully, for while I do not wish to end this through violence, I still think that a contest of strength, as it were, would be a fitting end to this tournament.  To prevent either of us from having an advantage from the beginning, I would make the suggestion that she," gesture to the girl in gold, "be the one to decide our topic, and the one to make a final call whose strength of will was best expressed."
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »
Not really keen on that idea, presented as it is.  Why is it we have to defeat Reimu?  She just seems like an obstacle arbitrarily inserted.

>Get a reading on Reimu.
>Where are our spectators?  What are they doing?  How far away are they?

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2011, 08:06:54 AM »
Sometimes absolute pacifism isn't the way, sometimes one has to fight for what they believe in.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
She just seems like an obstacle arbitrarily inserted.

She is. And, to be fair, the entire scenario was this. The entity speaking through the girl in gold has admitted as much.

>Get a reading on Reimu.
>Where are our spectators?  What are they doing?  How far away are they?

> Reimu is powerful. She is colossally potent in both body and mind, Qi patterns flowing through her like a complex and impeccably-crafted tapestry. And yet you can feel that there are greater reserves that she can still call on.
> The only beings up here are you, the Hakurei shrine maiden, the kimono-clad Lady who brought you here, the woman with the parasol and the girl in gold. The latter three are watching intently with bated breath. The rest of your initial retinue are no doubt still facing off against the Judges.

« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2011, 08:32:18 AM »
Reimu is a combatant, Tenshi has some modified immunity, and what are the statuses of binding for the other two?

>How far away is Reimu?  How far away are the three spectators?

Fightest

« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
>How far away is Reimu?  How far away are the three spectators?

> The other two bear non-participant immunity.
> Reimu is about three metres away. The spectators are off to the side, six or so metres away.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
I think the best course is to refuse. If it's arbitrary, we don't need to do it. In fact, we could use spellcards as the example; it too was arbitrary, but it was adopted because it served a greater purpose.  In short, we don't need to defeat her because we don't need to compete.

If this does not work, we need to do better than destroy her in a debate. We need to win her over. Thankfully, compassion isn't about cold logic and game theory, so we can break out of those things if needs be. I think something we can exploit, though, is her history with other youkai. Any time she's shown mercy, or acted out of anything other than cold disdain that she showed earlier.

« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »
>Is it difficult to think about punching Tenshi in the face?

Fightest

« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2011, 10:22:41 AM »
>Is it difficult to think about punching Tenshi in the face?

> Yes, the very thought seems unspeakable to you.
> However, you are able to maintain it by virtue of your high Martial Arts. You would still need to break the immunity to mount an effective offensive.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #189 on: November 19, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »
>Can we contemplate giving Tenshi a handshake?

Fightest

« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2011, 05:27:08 PM »
>Can we contemplate giving Tenshi a handshake?

> Yes.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Okay, I have the solution. We must arrange for Tenshi x Reimu.

Jq1790

« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »
Okay, I have the solution. We must arrange for Tenshi x Reimu.
Wait, seriously?  We're gonna try playing matchmaker..?

I'm actually rather eager to see where your thoughts are coming from with this.  It sounds like a very interesting solution, indeed.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2011, 04:03:58 AM »
Simple. Given Reimu's attitude in this, the two are made for each other.

>What are our surroundings like, including what we just left behind? And who all is here and there?
>And what do we know about the eldest daughter?

« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2011, 08:33:28 AM »
>Does the idea of tacklin- *cough cough cough* hugging Tenshi cause us no difficulties?

Fightest

« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2011, 10:48:57 AM »
>What are our surroundings like, including what we just left behind? And who all is here and there?
>And what do we know about the eldest daughter?

> Heaven is built up of floating islands, some nothing more than more-solid-than-normal cloud matter, others made of stone and dirt. There is an occasional house and garden on these islands.
> Up here is similar to where you were before the Lady transported you, except that there is nothing more above you. In the middle of this island stands a gazebo with the potion of immortality on a pedestal at its center. At the far end of the island stands a lone gate-like construction that leads to nowhere, merely an empty doorway standing alone.
> Not sure what you mean by here and there, bub.
> You know little else of this eldest daughter beyond what you've been told - she caused an incident some time back and was soundly beaten for it. Accounts on her personality were highly conflicting. She appears to possess a modified immunity that allows her to attack others without breaking it.
> It is not she who is talking at the moment, however. Someone else is using her body to speak - her parent, judging by what they said.

>Does the idea of tacklin- *cough cough cough* hugging Tenshi cause us no difficulties?

> With a bit of mental gymnastics you can easily entertain the thought of close, friendly contact with the girl in gold.

« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »
> It is not she who is talking at the moment, however. Someone else is using her body to speak - her parent, judging by what they said.
If that's the case she likely very ancient, and very sagacious.  I think we have enough information to produce a logical impossibility.

« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2011, 10:21:41 AM »
>"Reimu, I understand that you don't care about the tournament at this point, you would still test me.  For it is in this crucible that I am to be tempered, and you are merely the tool chosen to do this work.  Therefore, I bare you no ill will, even if we have no quarrel.  Come at me Hakurei!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
So, just a straight fight, then?

Sorry, this got lost in the thanksgiving mess and such. =[

Fightest

« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »
>"Reimu, I understand that you don't care about the tournament at this point, you would still test me.  For it is in this crucible that I am to be tempered, and you are merely the tool chosen to do this work.  Therefore, I bare you no ill will, even if we have no quarrel.  Come at me Hakurei!"

> The Shrine Maiden nods and gives you a respectful bow. When she straightens back up, you can see her eyes glowing golden.
> Her stance is simple, one fist before the other, one foot before the other. Yet the magic that flows through it is a perfect weave of offensive and defensive capability, filling the Shrine Maiden with untold potential.

> Encountered stance: Eternal Golden Glory. Complexity: 5. It is not for heroes to stumble and fall. The user of this stance automatically succeeds on their first chosen action of every turn, and on their first reaction on an opponent's turn.
> She waits, no doubt expecting you to take your stance.

Sorry, this got lost in the thanksgiving mess and such. =[

Oh, it's all right, I'm just happy you guys are back.

« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2011, 09:16:01 AM »
So, just a straight fight, then?
What were you planning with Reimu - Tenshi pair-up? And how?
I was planning to get the Golden Girl involved via collateral.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:42 AM »
I was also advocating that we go for debates and such.  As it's way more in character, given we've resisted the whole thing up until this point. But too late for that, I suppose. What do you mean via collateral?

« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »
I want to do the impossible.  I want the tournament immune Tenshi to be properly entered into her own creation, with a punch to the face, courtesy of Reimu.
Would you consider sparring that ends in a draw to be violent?  That's what I'm aiming to do with the Red-White, not knock her teeth in, though I think she'll be giving us plenty of trouble in her own right.

>Assume Golden Eternal Glory, or at least mimic it.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
Interesting, go for it.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:11:51 AM by Robo-Purvis BZT »

Fightest

« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2011, 01:44:17 PM »
>Assume Golden Eternal Glory, or at least mimic it.

> Where the Shrine Maiden's stance is clearly magical, your mastery of your own Qi is superb.
> You focus, focus on your chakras, making minute changes here and their to their output and flow direction, unlocking pathways rarely-used, and certainly never in such a configuration. As you shape the flows and ripples of your body's energy into a pattern indistinguishable to that of the Shrine Maiden's, you feel the changes rushing over you, as if you are no longer tapping into just yourself but into a greater force. Where earlier you may have stumbled and failed, now it is something that feels inconceivable.
> Developed Stance: Hieda's Eternal Triumph. Complexity: 5. Those who strive will succeed. The user of this stance automatically succeeds on their first chosen action of every turn, and on their first reaction on an opponent's turn.
> The Shrine Maiden's serene expression breaks for a moment in wonder at your stance.
> "Glorious. You are truly peerless amongst the mortals in this world."
> She makes a single short step forward and, sinking low, makes a single strike towards you from three metres away. You can tell that the force of the blow will extend far beyond the Shrine Maiden's physical reach - it's an attack from range!

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
I got something that might work.

>Would it be possible to turn the attack back on it's origin?
(IE, sending the attack right back to Reimu to give her a taste of what she's capable of.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Fightest

« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »
>Would it be possible to turn the attack back on it's origin?

> You have no appropriate moves that allow you to do so. You are free to develop them, however.

Jq1790

« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2011, 01:49:54 AM »
Let's see how this goes...
>Gather our Qi around the shockwave of her attack like a net, and bounce it back at the miko.

Of course, if anyone's got better ideas, do feel free to supercede this; it's just an idea.  Maybe we can get what we're after without having to do any/much attacking on our own, merely using Reimu's power against her?  This way, while we're still technically fighting, we're not directly initiating any attacks.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2011, 03:04:36 AM »
That should work I'd say.
And yeah, that was my whole idea. Fight, but in a very judo/jiujitsu manner by using our opponent's power against them.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Fightest

« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
Let's see how this goes...
>Gather our Qi around the shockwave of her attack like a net, and bounce it back at the miko.

> With your degree of control over your Qi, and the ability imparted on you by your extraordinary stance, you effortlessly let the blast of force pass over your body, weave it over your back and release it back where it came with a strike of your own.
> Developed Move: Iron-Stone Collision. Complexity: 4. What force is dealt out is equally received. This move is a counterattack. When the user of this move successfully defends themselves against an attack, they may copy the attack used against them once and immediately use it against their enemy.
> With a flick of a wrist, the Shrine Maiden disperses the wave of force hurtling towards her.
> "Excellent adaptation. Well done." The Shrine Maiden nods approvingly.