Author Topic: Touhou Fandom Victims  (Read 50090 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Re: Touhou Fandom Victims
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2011, 07:58:28 AM »
Lol, I'm not a total dumbass, I know Mannosuke's purpose in any story/game isn't to prove men are better... I just don't like seeing it anyway.

I can't explain exactly why I hate it without sounding like a feminist, and I hate feminists... I'll just try to be quick and say Touhou is the only thing I know that really has an excess of strong female figures who aren't strong or "badass" only because "badass women are sexy". I mean the fanart might depict them as sexy or hot or something. But at its core, they are who they are. They weren' t made that way just for male sex appeal. It's nice being able to admire women for a change without having that sex-related alternative as a secondary motive.

God that really sounds stupid no doubt. I'm really terrible at conveying my deeper feelings for things I'm sorry. Point is Mannosuke, regardless of his purpose being a joke or not, it just sullies something I think is very important to Touhou in general. I don't mind Rinnosuke as a man, I just don't like the whole "men are stronger and better" thing MANossuke has, even if it's just a joke. To me it's like joking about dead babies to a woman giving birth, it's just not the right place.

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
With the Flandre discussion, I think she's insane because of a- She was based on an insane character (U.N.Owen). b- as Amaterasu said, her theme gives the impression that she's crazy. c- I'm sorry, I just can't believe that someone can spend 500 years locked in a basement and stay normal. At first, it was her sister's will the one that made her stay there, but then she remained there by herself; that's true. But rich people in old times only locked members of their family when they had some sort of mental sickness. She may have accepted it, and that's probably why she stays there.

Now, you've mentioned EX-keine crazy cow fandom personality... I hate that. My main reason for hating is because of things like this. They completely ruin keine's personality.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »
Now, you've mentioned EX-keine crazy cow fandom personality... I hate that.

For one, she's not even anything LIKE a cow. That's what you'd call a stupid fanbase,

DURRR...she has horns so she must be a cow! DURRR!

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »
It's mostly the western fanbase I would guess, since you can't expect alot of them to know what a Hakutaku is.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2011, 12:28:10 AM »
I don't know if this counts, as I've yet to play LLS or PoFV, but is Yuka really as crazy about her flowers as some people have made it seem? Even though she's a flower youkai, I don't think her personality is like that. It just seems too extreme for any character.

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2011, 12:32:17 AM »
I've played both of them, and she just seemed a lil' crazy. But I have not heard her talking about her flowers...

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »
I don't know if this counts, as I've yet to play LLS or PoFV, but is Yuka really as crazy about her flowers as some people have made it seem? Even though she's a flower youkai, I don't think her personality is like that. It just seems too extreme for any character.
Nope.  Yuuka isn't that insane.  She doesn't freak out over any of her PoFV battles (despite the fact that some colateral damage had to have occured), and she visits a florest in the village.  In fact Yuuka's pretty much been calm every time she's appeared.  Even when Reimu and Marisa broke into her house and shot the place up while she was sleeping.

Her PMiSS entry say's she'll be upset if you set her flower field on fire, but that's kinda extreme in and of itself.

« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2011, 01:06:11 AM »
Nope.  Yuuka isn't that insane.  She doesn't freak out over any of her PoFV battles (despite the fact that some colateral damage had to have occured), and she visits a florest in the village.  In fact Yuuka's pretty much been calm every time she's appeared.  Even when Reimu and Marisa broke into her house and shot the place up while she was sleeping.

Her PMiSS entry say's she'll be upset if you set her flower field on fire, but that's kinda extreme in and of itself.

Well yeah, just like how if in real life somebody set your anything on fire you'd get pissed off.  What I usually do with fan interpretations is take the character's personality, and tone it down about a million times and that's usually how I see the characters.  Not to say I see all characters as mellow "don't really care" types either, but definitely not crazy genocidal insane like most people see them.

Drake

« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2011, 01:22:22 AM »
Personally I think the spell card rules have already been implemented by MS (ignoring timeline inconsistencies with the Vampire Incident and such) and Yuuka is just running around because she's bored. They talk about killing multiple times and yet no-one dies. She says "Genocide is just another game", yet I think she's talking about how murder HAS been turned into a game. It doesn't matter whether it's humans or Makai residents, it's all the same game.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2011, 01:42:25 AM »
Actually, fans don't usually portray Yuuka as insane either unless there's a particularly tough opponent around. I see more Yuuka stuff where the other touhou characters thinks she's insane when she's actually very nice and wants to be friends, then I do of Yuuka actually being insane. Fanon's pretty close to canon in this reguard, since she's pretty calm most the time in both, with calm friendly Yuuka more common than scary Yuuka. I think fanon is even right about how other people treat Yuuka, since in both canon and fanon, the characters find her terrifying although she never freaks out on any of them.

Drake

« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2011, 01:48:47 AM »
Insane? Never said that. How about violent? Sadistic?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2011, 01:59:48 AM »
Insane? Never said that. How about violent? Sadistic?

It's all semantics to me, but my point is that that's how the OTHER characters view Yuuka in fanon, NOT how Yuuka acts in fanon. It is far more common for other characters to think Yuuka is violent and sadistic when she's actually very nice than for Yuuka to actually do anything violent or sadistic.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2011, 03:03:07 AM »
Actually, fans don't usually portray Yuuka as insane either unless there's a particularly tough opponent around. I see more Yuuka stuff where the other touhou characters thinks she's insane when she's actually very nice and wants to be friends, then I do of Yuuka actually being insane.

That 'people think she's crazy but she actually wants friends ;-;' or 'is actually very nice' is pretty off for her character, don't you think? PMiSS says she enjoys rubbing people the wrong way and her dialogue sounds that way, trolling the random people she runs into for the lulz before obliterating them because that's what strong youkai do. Calm and polite shouldn't be mistaken for nice.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »
It's mostly the western fanbase I would guess, since you can't expect alot of them to know what a Hakutaku is.

Ever seen a cow with a big fluffy tail? (And no, the eastern fanbase has applied the "Keine is a cow" BS too)

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 03:13:38 AM »
Ever seen a cow with a big fluffy tail? (And no, the eastern fanbase has applied the "Keine is a cow" BS too)
No, but western fans are stupid enough to over look that.

The elevans should know better.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2011, 03:37:30 AM »
That 'people think she's crazy but she actually wants friends ;-;' or 'is actually very nice' is pretty off for her character, don't you think? PMiSS says she enjoys rubbing people the wrong way and her dialogue sounds that way, trolling the random people she runs into for the lulz before obliterating them because that's what strong youkai do. Calm and polite shouldn't be mistaken for nice.

I'm not saying her character wasn't ruined, I'm just pointing out that she wasn't made into a violent sadist by fans.

She may actually be the nicest character in fandom, which is kinda missing the point of her character.

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
I'm probably as much an offender as anyone else as to how I see Flandre, considering the main premise for which I judge her character is some manga a friend showed me in which Marisa encountered Flandre who taught the witch about powers, roles, heroes and demons, particularly how she as a demon has more power and yet is trapped in terms of her fate. Throughout the dialogue she punctuates her points with bouts of insanity and abstract imagery. It was very well done, in general some of the most compelling characters to be depicted with insanity also have a very heightened understanding of certain things. Since I know that this is clearly an exaggeration of things which may be open to interpretation in game, its a matter of preference, and I prefer it because the depiction was so well done.

So to me she's that... and the dog that killed Screwy Squirrel.

Bloom Nobly~

« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:34 PM »
About the Flan stuff - This is about all I know to say about it:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Article_and_Interview:_Flandre
"She usually can't leave the house because of her emotional instability."

Should be pretty self-explanatory? She can't control her power (which, she's ridiculously powerful even by Touhou standards), and she's emotionally unstable. You wouldn't let someone like like that go around doing whatever they want either.

At the very least, I think this should properly prove that she does in fact have some sort of a mental disorder. No, that is not the same thing as saying someone is retarded. Flan is not retarded. Well, technically vampires never grow up, but that's beside the point.

I can't explain exactly why I hate it without sounding like a feminist, and I hate feminists... I'll just try to be quick and say Touhou is the only thing I know that really has an excess of strong female figures who aren't strong or "badass" only because "badass women are sexy". I mean the fanart might depict them as sexy or hot or something. But at its core, they are who they are. They weren' t made that way just for male sex appeal. It's nice being able to admire women for a change without having that sex-related alternative as a secondary motive.

I completely agree with you.

Well, I don't have a problem with mannousuke though, besides that people are raping a decent character when they do it, and that it is rather ridiculous.

Yuka is canonically a person who plays with people for fun. No, more than that. Everything is a game to her. She said that to Eiki's face in PoFV. And her actions back it up. She tore up Makai as a game. She learned the ultimate magic as a game. The Yama told her she's lived a bit too long, and she enjoys playing with people too much, but the ensuing battle was only treated as game by Yuka.

The theme that plays when you wake her up in LLS is not called "Sleeping Terror" without reason. She may be lazy, but those who wander into her flower field or her mansion and poke around a bit too much will end up dead.

In Perfect Memento, her Threat Level is "Very High" and her Human Friendship Level is "Very Poor." Regardless of how polite she may act around others, this should give you some idea that something is wrong here. Not to mention, the same article says that she "seems peaceful at first glance but is merciless towards other creatures."

Yeah, I do believe she's sadistic. Is she really the ultimate sadistic creature? No. But she is extremely dangerous and her morals are very lacking. If you piss her off, she will rip you to pieces. And even if you don't, if you're in her way she'll still intentionally rub you the wrong way (read: troll you) and then beat you up.

The only reasons she doesn't "play" with everyone are:
1. She's lazy and likes to sleep a lot, tending to stay in her flower fields or in her mansion for long periods of time.
2. She's not interested in boring battles. If you're weak, she won't bother with you unless you piss her off.

[EDIT: Ah right, there was one last thing I wanted to say. I actually did come to like EX-Keine a bit because of this:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/pool/show/1074
And other comics made by Pageratta. He is hilarious.]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:04:47 PM by Silverkun »