Author Topic: Touhou Competitions  (Read 5305 times)

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
Touhou Competitions
« on: December 22, 2009, 02:23:02 AM »
Since we had a fairly good turnout on the test runs for the Touhou tournaments, but problems going any farther than that afterwards, I was wondering if we should really go ahead and organize weekly "challenge" competitions. I'd be willing to maintain everything, but if enough of you guys are for this, I'd need a person or two to help me design the challenges.

Also, the Touhou Challenges topic has fallen off the first page, so I was tossing around the idea of including that in the competitions, in addition to the traditional score-run, score-run on single stage, most cherry, etc. that we've already participated in. Of course, things like "play with your hands reversed" wouldn't be able to be judged - but a discussion topic or something could be used to talk about things like that, rather than a score listing or whatever.

Just want to know what you guys think. It's the holiday season and everything, so a lot of you schoolkids could have a break coming up(or have it currently); hopefully you guys have enough free time.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Re: Touhou Competitions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:33:01 AM »
I'm always up for this sort of thing, so count me in. I quite liked the format of the previous competitions, so something similar would be good, I think... although, I think it'd be useful to have a few of the challenges more 'normal'. Things like no death, or no bomb, or no focus runs, instead of just the more unusual things like 'collect the most graze'. Just my two cents. :V
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
Christmas scorerunning anyone? :V

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:26:19 AM »

Where's Drake with his PCB Christmas hack? It must be implemented immediately.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 07:26:38 AM »

Well, if it's for Christmas, at least one thing has to be EoSD or PCB with MarisaA. Christmas trees~

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:07:02 AM »
I'm always up for contests!

(Cause then i can kick Bananamatic's ass!)

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 01:07:05 PM »
how does that competition work? One week per game (and which games?), with player rankings based on their score placements? Or some weeks and various games for us to try to get the highest scores in?
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the competitions themselves would be weekly... we could have one normal score run and a couple special challenges(stage score run, etc) at a time. And yeah, rankings would be the same - by score, unless otherwise specified, like that lives+bombs run that we had earlier.

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

Drake

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 07:09:29 PM »
Where's Drake with his PCB Christmas hack? It must be implemented immediately.
how did you know i was making a new one

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ebarrett

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:13:09 AM »
one normal score run and a couple special challenges(stage score run, etc)

score run = score run

I don't see how a score run is more "special challenge-ish" than another score run, in fact I will probably go into a SPECIAL X-MAS KITTEH MURDERING RAMPAGE if the "special" challenges again turn out to be "bonus score runs".

just saying.

>:(

Bananamatic

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:25:21 AM »
anyways
stage score runs>game score runs

DarkslimeZ

• COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 03:29:07 AM »
score run = score run

I don't see how a score run is more "special challenge-ish" than another score run, in fact I will probably go into a SPECIAL X-MAS KITTEH MURDERING RAMPAGE if the "special" challenges again turn out to be "bonus score runs".

just saying.

Dude, chill. There's people on both sides. I hated the cherry max point run, but loved the MoF stage 5 score run. I'm not saying we'd do them often, just that it's an idea.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
anyways
stage score runs>game score runs

Its easier to optimize your score that way. A game score run requires that you do things well throughout the entire game where a stage score run only requires good performance on that stage in particular so you can just restart if something doesn't go perfectly.