Author Topic: Best Touhou fanfic you have ever read?  (Read 10135 times)

Best Touhou fanfic you have ever read?
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »
Hello guys!  :D When fans wanted to write a fanfic, some canon story and characters were somewhat questionable leading to fans had to make their own idea and theory for the story. What's the best and favourite 2hu fanfic you have ever read? Mine was Touhou Chronicles and Diamond in the Rough.

Re: Best Touhou fanfic you have ever read?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
I haven't read many fanfics, but my favorites would have to be Retelling of Oriental Stories by usually dead, and Dolphin Rider Koishi by Rou.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 03:01:33 PM »
hmm I don't really have one that particularly stands out from the rest.

Morino Hon's Omoito Series is pretty good though.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:39:52 PM »
"Chirei de" by Karaage Tarou is definitely one that comes to my mind.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:57:28 PM »
The Chords of Paradise is a great slice-of-life.

I typically avoid battle/grimdark fanfics :3

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:58 AM »
My favorite fanfics:

1. Omoito series by Morino Hon. But mostly because Shanghai and Hourai were my favorite characters...
2. Imperfect Metamorphosis by Takerfoxx. Many-a-things have surprised me at first, especially
Spoiler:
the reveal in the newest chapter where Flandre Scarlet turned out to be a human mother who de-aged into a loli upon becoming a vampire. Oh, and the same reveal showed that she's actually Flandre Grey.
3. The Oncoming Storm by The Dratini Farmer. NATO versus Magical Girls and Youkai! Plus US Government Conspiracies!
4. Naraku No Hana by Hieda No Akyuu. Outside World tech is causing the Hakurei Barrier to decay, and Yukari takes several girls to investigate alongside the Ghostly Sealing Club and... SEAL Team Ten?
5. Touhou Diary by Sora No Amagumo. Silent Reimu is adorable. Also, it had hit me for a while that Sora was the same person who drew the graphics for Shang's chapter in Touhou-A-Live.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »
My favourite never got finished because the guy got banned from the website he was posting it on. I found the guy again but he said he couldn't go back to writing. Other than that, no fanfics I've read have ever been completed.

If we're including general doujins then it would be Passion for your sake bu jiroo-biyori. Best insight to a suicidal mind that I've ever read. Post-read arguments were glorious and brilliantly entertaining. I may have failed to hammer in the fact that what happened to Marisa wasn't a good thing but damn, we all made good points. Whether or not the ending was bittersweet or just plain sad doesn't matter much - this is my favourite doujin. Very engaging on the morals and a very gripping story. I didn't like Marisa very much at the time so a story that makes me feel really sorry for her and much more sorry for her than people who actually like her has got to be good.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
I wanna know if anyone got some Hifuu writings they could recommend.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:46:25 PM »
My favorites fanworks would be :
-Soga no Tojiko will not talk
-Omoito
-At Chirei
-Night sparrow in love (I usually avoid romance with extreme prejudice but this one is great)
-Though the wind cries
-The prismrivers
-All of Zounose's stuff
-All of Gensoukoumuten's stuff
-Some of Yohane's stuff
-All of Pageratta's Touhou stuff
-Moar

I don't know a lot of western fanfiction, but my pick would be "Diamond in the rough"

I wanna know if anyone got some Hifuu writings they could recommend.
I'd suggest "Dream and reality"/"Yume to utsutsu". You should definitely try this one. It's a light novel by the way so it might be a long read.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »
We do have a fanfiction board here.[/url]  It even has a list of completed works, though I suggest hunting through for the shorts threads as well.  Roukanken has skill, and Tengukami's a solid writer.

Outside those authors I can suggest The Girl in the Cave is another good one.  For those who appreciate the absurd Mystia vs the Hunger is good.

Off site UnmovingGreatLibrary is making a name for herself.  Dollmaker's Daughter is in my opinion her best work, but she's generally good.

Oh, also everything written by me.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:39:55 PM by Iced Fairy »

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
*hopes enthusiastically that one of my FF.net stories get mentioned by someone*

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 09:22:32 AM »
The best English fanfic I've read would probably be Iced Fairy's A New World series.  It was good enough that I put it into an e-book format just so I could read it on a kindle.

Badass bookworms

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »
I have roamed fanfiction.net for 4 months. During my time, I found many good and bad fanfiction. Here are the list of obscure fanfic that made me spent a whole night reading them.

Undying Gensokyo by WillieG.R.
A gory action adventure horror story featuring Aya and Satori as they battled many monstrous version of Gensokyo resident.

A Satori's Tale by Antimatter.
On the behalf of the Enma, Satori venture to the surface to solve the current incident. It wasn't an easy task for the satori simply because:
1. Nearly half of the people on the surface hates her.
2. Reimu was trapped in the Netherworld.
3. She had to deal with upcoming demon invasion.
4. There's a poisonous doll looking for revenge.

*hopes enthusiastically that one of my FF.net stories get mentioned by someone*
Here's something extra for ya.

Deep Dark Dangers by game2002
Eleven girls from Gensokyo are taken to a mysterious jungle infested with terrifying dangers, the likes of which they have never experienced before. Can they survive the dangers of this jungle and find their way back home?
Oh, and it also featured an overpowered manly Tyrannosaurus-Rex.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Deep Dark Dangers by game2002
Eleven girls from Gensokyo are taken to a mysterious jungle infested with terrifying dangers, the likes of which they have never experienced before. Can they survive the dangers of this jungle and find their way back home?
Oh, and it also featured an overpowered manly Tyrannosaurus-Rex.
Good to know that you enjoyed that one!

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
Rise of the Evening Star by TwilightsCall is really, really long (approximately 192,000 words!), but really good. It's one of the few Touhou fanfics I've read, and I remember that I stayed up late reading it on my phone, and I kept checking the thread to see if a new chapter had been uploaded yet, because this fic was a real page-turner (figuratively, of course, since it's online). It's kinda dark, the Big Bad doesn't follow the spell card rules, but it luckily doesn't fall into the trap of "Look how grimdark and edgy this fic is" (at least not in my opinion).

Over an Open Fire by TakerFoxx on FanFiction.net is pretty good too. The FFnet blurb, which summarizes it better than I could, says:
"Nearly sixty years before the events of Imperishable Night, Kaguya Houraisan discovered a new holiday called Christmas, and immediately decided to have the biggest Christmas party ever! And then Mokou found out. Hilarity ensued."

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 12:54:34 AM »
The ones that immediately come to mind for me are Yume Utsutsu and Touhou Tonari...  be warned, they full of feels...