Author Topic: UFO save corrupted  (Read 1787 times)

UFO save corrupted
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »
a couple of months ago this happened to my UFO. it happened the first time I opened the game upon starting my computer, for a couple days in a row, it would crash and then be back to normal the next time I would open it. I thought it was a minor problem, till this morning. I got a little bit of the graphical issue and closed to game and reopened it, but when I reopened it I noticed that the extra stage option was dulled and I couldn't toggle to it, then I checked in start game and the "ok" stamp on my shot types were gone. It seems that my score12th.dat file has been corrupted. Is there any way to get it back? I tried windows system restore, but it didn't work (and doesn't usually work on files like that). It may not be related to the graphical issue at all, but I played UFO the night before and it worked fine, so something happened between now and then. Edit, so I figured out that the last time UFO was working I closed it with task manager, could that have done it? I do that with my touhou games all the time and this has never happened before.

My replays were not affected, so I still have those, and I have a back-up scorefile from sometime after clearing the extra, but before any of my Hard 1ccs. I really don't want to re-do the 3 Hard 1ccs I have already done while I still have 3 to go, and I want the "ok" next to my clears, and my ~100 runs worth of spell card history back if I can get them. Any know how to help me/ has this happened to anyone before?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:06:09 PM by zemoo »
my Twitch Stream I play shmups sometimes

Re: UFO save corrupted
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:56 PM »
I tried windows system restore, but it didn't work (and doesn't usually work on files like that).

If you're using Windows Vista/7, there's an option to view file history by right-clicking and going to the previous versions tab. Assuming you haven't defragmented your hard drive recently, the original file should be recoverable.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:25:42 AM »
If you're using Windows Vista/7, there's an option to view file history by right-clicking and going to the previous versions tab. Assuming you haven't defragmented your hard drive recently, the original file should be recoverable.

It worked, thank you. I didn't realize that there was a restore option for individual files.
I'm still not sure what caused the graphical glitch or if it's related to my score file, but my main concern has been ameliorated.
my Twitch Stream I play shmups sometimes

Drake

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:28:29 AM »
back up yo scores again

Anyways, this isn't strictly about file corruption. If for whatever reason the game doesn't read the score file properly, it'll just go "oh I guess you don't have one let me help you out there" and write a blank one, i.e. the same as it does for config files and the replay folder. It just so happens that if you already had a file there it gets overwritten. This isn't something that happens frequently, but it does happen, and even if it's that after years it only happens once and you didn't keep backups, you're still screwed.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:35:10 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -