Author Topic: What do you use to record off Anex86?  (Read 3542 times)

Lunatic_Reimu

• No Bomb Enthusiast
What do you use to record off Anex86?
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »
Hi fellow maidens :)
Im new to Touhou, and I just did my first Touhou HRtP 1cc on hard, and I figured I really want to keep a memory of all my 1cc playthroughs (especially once I do the Lunatic runs :D). Problem is, Ive been searching everywhere for a good software to be able to record my runs, but cant seem to come across a good one. Im playing on Anex86 with Windows XP. Ive tried around 6 programs, but all gave me problems:

1. Either the recorded video just shows up as a blank screen
2. Or it makes the game too laggy
3. Or else the software could only be installed on Windows Vista and above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Re: What do you use to record off Anex86?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
I've found Open Broadcaster Software to be effective for recording Touhou. It's actually a streaming program, but there's an option to record to "File Output Only" that you can use.

Previously I used HyperCam 2, but that requires the computer's sound card to have an input option like "Stereo Mix" to record audio directly (as opposed to via a microphone), which apparently has been removed in more recent computers. I found it decent when it worked for me, though.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »
Some people here on the board (myself and Zil confirmed, maybe other people too) sold our soul to the devil so we could use Fraps to record. That shouldn't work normally, but somehow just does. It's black magic, but maybe it'd work for you as well.

It's not necessarily reliable though. There was a time when one time it'd work, and another time it wouldn't, so if you have good alternatives, you should probably be using those.

Zil

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »
If the game is windowed, then any decent program should have no issue capturing it. OBS works just fine for that.

If you're trying to record full screen though, things can get very weird. It's possible, to a degree, with both Fraps and OBS, but the emulator's settings have a big impact on it. If you post the program you're trying to use, and the settings you use for Anex (the window and video tabs are the important ones) then we may be able to make it work.

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
I'm also intrested how many RAM and wich Grapic Card u use because of the "Video went laggy"-Problem.

For myself: Im using Fraps 3.5.9 to Record and to Any Video Converter 3.5.8 (AVC 5 Makes me bit to much Problems) to Convert the Video.
But there's still the Freeware-Version of Fraps 2.0 on some Places to Download. But Fraps 3.5 has the benefit to disable the "Split the Video on every 4 GB reached" what for me was pretty Useful cause of the awful WMM.

Lunatic_Reimu

• No Bomb Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the posts! I didnt expect so many replies so quickly!

Zil - In Anex 86, my Window settings are:

Window:
Fix Aspect Ratio
Use palette animation
Full colour

All the above unchecked.

Direct X (checked)
Mode:
Fullscreen (checked)
Re-initialize on switch (unchecked)
Use 640x400 (unchecked)
Use 32 bit color (checked)

Draw:
Fullscreen (checked)
Fast (checked)
Windowed (unchecked)

Palette:
Use palette animation (unchecked)

As for the Video tab, I have:

Update stategy:
Async (unchecked)
Sync set at 1 (checked)

misc.:
GDC clock MHz (unchecked)
Real time palette (unchecked)

Display mode (text):
Force text mode (unchecked)

Display mode (graph):
Force graph mode (unchecked)
Disable lo-res (checked)

I got the settings to configure the Anex this way from a topic in these forums. Very helpful and makes the game run perfectly.

Picochilla - 1.92 RAM, Graphic card, just the onboard one the laptop has: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD. Im running service pack 3 XP.

Karisa - I tried OBS but it doesnt work on XP

Thanks for all the help and replies. Really appreciate it :)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
I havent tried it myself but id be surprised if bandicam didnt work. You can set it to record a WYSIWYG "square" of your design on your screen. So i imagine you can just make the swuare over your anex window and presto. I think the free version only adds a watermark but doesnt have a timecap, but i forget.

Edit: one annoying thing though is you need a japanese version if you are running japanese locale. Its like one of two things i know that will NOT run on japanese local (assuming you get the western version)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:18:57 PM by Ghaleon »

Lunatic_Reimu

• No Bomb Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »
Hi Ghaleon,
just tried out Bandicam, very laggy and no sound for some reason :/

Picochilla

• Just a random Chinchilla
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
Picochilla - 1.92 RAM, Graphic card, just the onboard one the laptop has: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD. Im running service pack 3 XP.

There is the Problem! As if i know myself needs Windows XP itself 2GB RAM already. This is the reason for the Lag on Fraps, Hyper Cam etc. because there is not enought Ram to do it properly.

Lunatic_Reimu

• No Bomb Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
Awww shucks. Picochilla, your previous comment when you asked me for how much RAM I have made me wonder if its actually my laptop thats the problem and not the programs Im trying. Guess thats the case then :( Time to invest in that Alienware sooner than I thought lol. . .

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
I haven't yet tried to record PC-98. If I did I would use Blueberry Flashback. It's all I got. .-.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.