Author Topic: Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou - Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni  (Read 2493 times)

Oh

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou - Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni
« on: July 15, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »
What does MotK think of this? I think it's entertaining to follow through 12 episodes, but nothing too special.
Spoiler:
what happened to my cute girls doing cute things with tarot cards?

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Re: Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou - Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
What does MotK think of this? I think it's entertaining to follow through 12 episodes, but nothing too special.
Spoiler:
what happened to my cute girls doing cute things with tarot cards?
Yea I did a sorta review from the impressions thread. http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15113.60.html

I got to say, I'm pretty interested about it. The opening was saying "The next
Spoiler:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
".
I'll stop there. Don't want to spoil too much.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:16:06 PM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Oh

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
Yea I did a sorta review from the impressions thread. http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15113.60.html

I got to say, I'm pretty interested about it. The opening was saying "The next
Spoiler:
".
I'll stop there. Don't want to spoil too much.
Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou is nowhere near the level of
Spoiler:
It just makes quite a few references to it.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »
Thread up because goddamn.
I really get the feeling this series is trying to ride the waves that Madoka Magica spawned. And it's not subtle about it, at all.
But I cannot stop watching OH MY GOD THAT'S NO
Spoiler:
BRUSH

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:43:51 AM »
because I haven't watched
Spoiler:
Madoka
I can't give an opinion on that aspect.

but holy frig, this anime's the first to actually get me excited about a magical girl series.
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:28:57 AM »
I don't know how to feel about this one so far. On one hand, sigh, looks pretty derivative of Madoka, which I don't care for half as much as most people do.

On the other hand, it's like Higurashi meets magical girls. I'm intrigued by that much.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:44:10 AM »
While the comparison is obvious I don't think it's really all that similar to Madoka in terms of the challenges laid out for the protagonists. They subvert the magical girl genre in different ways.

Madoka's concept was "hey you know how being a magical girl is really cool? what if it fucking sucked"
Daybreak's concept is "hey you know how villains make monsters from people and magical girls save them with healing spells? what if they got fucking slaughtered instead"

While Madoka's protagonists were in a hopeless situation where any result would lead to their deaths, the Daybreak protagonists don't have that problem, in fact they basically get to act with total impunity. Daybreak, at least at the moment, is about how the characters cope with the guilt (if at all).

That said, Daybreak does have a lot of contrived writing so how well it executes those concepts is another matter. I think it's a pretty average show, overall.