Author Topic: So I made a Touhou album...  (Read 1848 times)

So I made a Touhou album...
« on: August 10, 2012, 05:51:20 AM »
I released a Touhou album recently and not very many people know about it. Actually, probably like, one person so far.
Anyways, although my music sucks (especially compared to any other circle, plus considering its my first album ever) and hopefully this doesn't count as advertising, here is a link to it on bandcamp on sale for 5$ (although you can find it on youtube and download it with a youtube converter, I'm not even going to try to prevent that :T)

http://e9p3.bandcamp.com/album/stupidlol
Album Name- StupidLOL
Touhou Tracks Rearranged-
A Soul Red As Ground Cherry [Night Bird]
Green Eyed Jealousy [Large Box And Small Box]
Broken Moon [Little Pandemonium]
Beloved Tomboyish Girl [StupidLOL]
The others are originals.

Shmarah

• s͡hə-mār-uh, shuhm-AYR-ah, SHMAYR-ah
    • Ask Amelia Bedelia a question!
Re: So I made a Touhou album...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:54:58 AM »
I actually like this a lot better than the hackneyed-sounding crazy dubstep-jammed Touhou songs that I get from some Japanese circles. I mean, sue me if you like that kind of stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of hearing an electronic voice repeating the same Engrish jibber-jabber to the rhythm of my beloved Touhou songs.
In fact, I'm listening to it as I type, and the Green Eyed Jealousy arrange is giving me chills! I love the sounds that sound kind of 8-bit reminiscent.
Also, 9 tracks. I see what you did there.
I need to stop combining adjectives with "sauce" and "pants" and thinking this makes a unique word.
It makes me look stupidsauce.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:30:23 AM »
I actually like this a lot better than the hackneyed-sounding crazy dubstep-jammed Touhou songs that I get from some Japanese circles. I mean, sue me if you like that kind of stuff, but I'm not a huge fan of hearing an electronic voice repeating the same Engrish jibber-jabber to the rhythm of my beloved Touhou songs.
In fact, I'm listening to it as I type, and the Green Eyed Jealousy arrange is giving me chills! I love the sounds that sound kind of 8-bit reminiscent.
Also, 9 tracks. I see what you did there.
I'm not a fan of [most] dubstep actually, although two of my songs could likely go under that category (StupidLOL was originally going to be dubstep, but then I realized how boring it was to make it like that so it turned into... whatever made up genre it is I make with the intro sounding sarcastic practically), my music is mainly inspired by dnb, eurobeat and ska. With that said, IZMIZM/Izna makes great dubstep and is one of my main inspirations, I'd highly recommend looking it up if you haven't herd of it yet.

OverCoat

• Don't think. Feel, and you'll be tanasinn.
    • OverCoat Music
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
This music needs a lot of work... However, I am not good at critiquing this style of music so bear with me if I make some incorrect statements. I heard the first 5 seconds of the first track and it was quite loud so I had to stop it and turn my volume down. Throughout the entire album you use a lot of abrasive, distorted or loud sounds. This is okay sometimes, I've done that myself. However, combined with the randomness of the arrangements as well as using very simple sounds, it does not create an enjoyable listening experience. I am definitely not a fan of the wobblebass you have used throughout the album, I don't think it sounds that good for a wobble plus it clashes poorly with the other synths you used, both rhythmically and sonically. The songs are very taxing and I have to really try to listen to one all the way through. The album sounds very dry as well, as if you did not use any DSP - filters, EQ, that sort of thing, only using delay or filter sweeps as if it were part of the synth's preset [correct me if i am wrong].

I think to improve your music for your future songs, you should experiment with effects more to make your music sound less dry. Also, I think your songwriting should improve as well, try to have more stuff happen in your next songs, more than layering/delayering tracks, just experiment more and you will find interesting things, your music will improve.

Also, as far as Bandcamp goes, I actually make *more money* setting my albums to free with the "pay what you want" option. It makes sense though, more people are willing to shell out a couple bucks for an album than one guy buying the album for full price, let's say $1 per track.

I hope I was able to help! There are not many music composers on MotK and I think we should help cultivate everyone's talents.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
it must be a hard work ! GOOD JOD !

Shmarah

• s͡hə-mār-uh, shuhm-AYR-ah, SHMAYR-ah
    • Ask Amelia Bedelia a question!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
Yeah, I will have to agree the more abrasive noises rubbed me the wrong way.
*badum chk* 
But those synth-like sounds, like those used to softly play the melody most of the time, were really pretty.
I don't hate all dubstep; I actually love it when it actually sounds musical, like this IOSYS dubstep remix of Danzai Yamaxanadu.
However, when it sounds like they've taken a really beloved song of mine, drowned it in wubwubwub, and then wrung and twisted it out to dry... Not a big fan of that.   :derp:
I need to stop combining adjectives with "sauce" and "pants" and thinking this makes a unique word.
It makes me look stupidsauce.