Author Topic: Shrine Festival Gathering  (Read 6123 times)

Vael

• Weaver of Illusions, Shaman of Dreams
Shrine Festival Gathering
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »
Thought the name was appropriate.  :D

Now, as we've seen from the frankly, amazing Abilities thread, there are some really creative dudes lurking around here, and well in an effort to bring them out, this thread was born.

The name of the game to create your own custom character, and that's it. What you do with this character is up to you, whether it is writing a story or finding inspirations for a roleplaying session, go wild. Though if you want to use someone else's character, please ask 'em first (preferably through PM so as not to get the thread cluttered), 'kay?

Here's the code for template (pretty much stolen from the Touhou Wiki), I'll post up mine as an example a little later on, still figuring a few things out:
Code: [Select]
[u][b]Name (Replace this with your character's)[/b][/u]
(Picture here, not strictly necessary, but if you want to, go ahead)

[b]Species:[/b]
[b]Abilities:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Location:[/b]

[u]Description:[/u]
(Description goes here, this includes their personality)

[u]Background:[/u]
(Background goes here, the more well written, the more you could probably get away with in the next category)

[u]Relationships:[/u]
(Relationships go here and please, explain them clearly, and if you wish for your character to have a relationship with another character in this thread, then please ask first)

[u]Titles:[/u]
(For extra fun, you can only come up with one title, commenters can suggest one title each as well, but ultimately, it is all up to you to choose which ones apply)

[u]Danmaku: Spell Cards[/u]
[b]Spell Card Name:[/b] Description
(Use the above as the template for your character's Spellcards, and let's say make five of them)

[u]Random Trivia:[/u]
(Trivia goes here, go nuts)

Well here it is, my sub-par example:
Wakayama no Dansei

(Model: Nura Rikuo from Nura: Rise of the Youkai Clan)

Species: Nurarihyon
Abilities: Able to enter homes without knowledge of its owner, and can command Yokai during the Summer
Location: Any home he wants, enjoys spending time in Hakugyokurou and Mayohiga

Description:
A youkai who looks like a pale handsome young man with long silver and black hair, and has golden-hazel eyes, he is surprisingly short, a little shorter than Yuyuko, but the form helps him to stay unnoticed for a good while in whichever household he had chosen to enter. He is capable of remaining small and unassuming for as long as he wishes, but he is equally capable of instantly turning around and unleashing his noble bearing as the Leader of Youkai.

As the Leader of the Hyakki Yakou, he is pretty serious about his duties, making sure that the Yokai do follow the rules of Gensokyo, and punishing those who don?t rather severely, all for the sake of the paradise his big-sister figure created. Behind the seriousness and the noble airs, there is a quiet young man who enjoys the simpler, quieter things and moments in life, from a simple solitary meal by candle light, to a quiet night with friends and sake.

Background:
The son of the Nurarihyon that helped his one-time ally, Yukari, and the Hakurei Miko with the taming of the wild Youkai in the first violent years of the formation of Gensokyo, Dansei continued to assist Yukari and later (unknowing) generations of Hakurei Miko in curbing the worst of Youkai behaviors and even set up the agreement that would see the Ancient City being populated by the more powerful Youkai and Oni. It was during this time he earned the playful affections of Yukari, something that he had at times regretted, especially when she felt playful and grabby. Yukari also introduced him to his second big-sister figure, Yuyuko, as he accompanied her in one of her jaunts.

This visit coincided with a decade of insane amounts of activity from the restless Youkai, which he quelled on his own, but consumed a lot of his energy in doing so. So much so, he immediately passed out and went into a deep healing trance, Yukari managed to get him to Mayohiga, in one of the houses there, so that he could sleep peacefully for as long as he needed to.

A few hundred years later sees Dansei waking up from his rest thanks to the mass of divine spirits around him, and immediately he figures that the Youkai might have gotten rowdy since he was last awake, and decides that he might as well handle things so that he could nap in peace again.

Relationships:
Konpaku Youki ? An Acquaintance
Saigyouji Yuyuko ? Second aloof big sister figure.
Yakumo Yukari ? First big sister figure.
Saeko Yamada - A surprisingly skilled blacksmith, helped to repair his family blade.

Titles:
Head of the Hyakki Yakou
The Spectre Who Leaves Unnoticed (iK)

Danmaku: Spell Cards
Parade Sign ? One Hundred Floats and Their Attendants: Creates a wide stream of orb danmaku to the target with huge bullets amongst them, all are shaped differently from squares to flying humans.
Festival Sign ? Release One Hundred Floating Lanterns: Like the one above, this spellcard releases a wide stream of orb danmaku, except these ones drift about as if they were on a river and far more numerous.
Gathering Sign ? One Hundred Cups Full of Sake: Launches big orbs all over that when they explode, release a storm of smaller danmaku.
Preparation Sign ? My One Hundred Attendants: The danmaku this time streams from everywhere around the fight, swirls around him, then explodes outwards.
Procession Sign ? Night Parade of One Hundred Demons: Releases one hundred bullets,  each bullet is shaped like a youkai and releases 20 of their own bullets.

Random Trivia:
Carries a shinobue with him and is pretty good at playing it, it was a gift from his father.
He also carries a katana with him, the sword is marked with his family's crest and is his badge of office.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:34:09 PM by Vael »

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
Re: Shrine Festival Gathering
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 03:51:14 AM »
Hmmm, I do believe that the roleplay subforum is at the bottom (if this is one), this may get moved soon.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 04:01:58 AM »
Hmmm, I do believe that the roleplay subforum is at the bottom (if this is one), this may get moved soon.
Nah, this is just a create-your-own character thread. This pops up every other month or so, no big deal. Actual roleplay would indeed go in RPG, but just creating characters is fine here.

(Also, if something is ever posted in TARC when it belongs in another subforum (or if you're confused as to whether or not it goes here), just to make sure I see it, you can always hit 'report to moderator' on a post to make it pop up so that I see it and move it accordingly. I do not manage to catch everything on my own so the help is always appreciated~)

Vael

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »

Nah, this is just a create-your-own character thread. This pops up every other month or so, no big deal. Actual roleplay would indeed go in RPG, but just creating characters is fine here.

(Also, if something is ever posted in TARC when it belongs in another subforum (or if you're confused as to whether or not it goes here), just to make sure I see it, you can always hit 'report to moderator' on a post to make it pop up so that I see it and move it accordingly. I do not manage to catch everything on my own so the help is always appreciated~)

I made doubly sure to ask as well before I posted this here...still, should have known this had a habit of popping up every so often. *sighs*

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 07:11:28 AM »
Normally this sort of thing tires me, because most of the characters are either poorly thought out, a mary sue, or both; making the character the leader of Gensokyo, or the direst villain or somesuch.
I actually didn't mind yours, though; he's not a super-important character, has a nice backstory, and the spellcards follow a theme related to the species. Only thing I'm a bit iffy on is the "command youkai during summer" business- does that apply to any youkai, or just weaker ones? Is it a compulsion, or more like a hypnotic suggestion (where they wouldn't do things against their natures)?

Anyways, I'll give one a try:
Saeko Yamada

Species : Ippon-datara
Abilities : To replicate mythical weapons

Description:
Saeko is a flighty blacksmith who is easily distracted by the idea of a good fight, and values action over words. She prides herself on never using the same weapon twice, and makes dozens every day. She appears to be in her early twenties, and is perpetually cheerful.

Background:
Saeko is a respected weaponsmith among the Youkai of the mountain that use such instruments. Her commission for these is simply an enjoyable duel, which most Tengu are able to provide easily. However, this battle-hungry sentiment and lack of belonging to a group tends to remind certain Tengu of the Oni, and as such she is often avoided when possible. Initially uninterested in the prospect of dueling humans, she has been taking a growing notice of them since the defeat of the wind god atop the mountain, and has decided to look for signs of any incident occuring near her home that would allow her a chance to test her mettle against them.

Relationships:
Aya Shameimaru – A reccurring annoyance
Momiji Inubashiri – Favoured customer
Nitori Kawashiro – Eccentric customer (requently requisitions small oddly-shaped bits of metal)

Titles:
Carefree and Energetic Blacksmith

Forging arts: Deadly Youkai Smithery: a timeout card in which Saeko forges the weapons she will use for the rest of the spellcards. Metal orb danmaku fly in from outside the screen towards Saeko. A large bellow puffs out streams of wind danmaku diamonds while Saeko forges a weapon, releasing spiraling waves of fire. After several seconds, Saeko drops to the bottom of the screen and plunges the weapon into water, sending steam danmaku rising upwards. She then rises back to her original position, and sends a rapid, random barrage of leftover scrap in the player's general direction. This process repeats once for each spell card.
Hammer sign: Compliant rod of the Monkey King: Saeko spins a staff the size of her sprite rapidly, releasing danmaku in a quick, random barrage. The spinning slows down over a few seconds. Shortly after it stops, the staff extends in a burst in the direction it is facing to smash the border of the screen, releasing danmaku from the point of impact. The player must be able to check where the staff is pointing while dodging the shots to evade it before it expands.
Mountain-breaking blade of the Mountain smith: Caladbolg: Saeko follows the player, swinging the sword and releasing arcs of lasers. After each arc, boulders fall from the top of the screen.
Two of a kind: ExCaliburn: Two swords are released in an arc in opposite directions, meeting each other where the player was at the time of release. The trail of each sword leaves danmaku strips that unfurl outwards after several seconds, and the impact of the swords clashing causes a large burst of light that blinds the player for a couple of seconds.
Liar's bane: Fragarach: surrounds the player with a swarm of danmaku, which then begin to pass through the eye, limiting dodging space and time to think. (Marisa only)

Random Trivia:
Like many stage 4 bosses, the fight differs depending on which character you pick- for example, the fifth spellcard is replaced with Caduceus if playing as Sanae.
"Two of a kind: ExCaliburn" is a play on words referring to the name "Excalibur" being a corruption of "Caliburn" (which itself is a corruption of the original name) and yet being treated as two different swords. The blinding light refers to how the weapon would release a similar light when drawn.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:07:43 AM by haoreos2 »

Vael

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »
Normally this sort of thing tires me, because most of the characters are either poorly thought out, a mary sue, or both; making the character the leader of Gensokyo, or the direst villain or somesuch.
I actually didn't mind yours, though; he's not a super-important character, has a nice backstory, and the spellcards follow a theme related to the species. Only thing I'm a bit iffy on is the "command youkai during summer" business- does that apply to any youkai, or just weaker ones? Is it a compulsion, or more like a hypnotic suggestion (where they wouldn't do things against their natures)?
Thanks for the comments, lemme see if I can explain this to your satisfaction.

The 'Commands Youkai in Summer' ability is an aura that is active only during summer. The power has two levels to it, at its most basic, when he speaks, all Youkai listen to his words, but they can still make up their own minds about what he said. He can strengthen this aura with his energy, making his commands extremely persuasive compulsions...nudges, so to speak. These 'nudges' cannot run counter to a Youkai's nature, however a Youkai with reasoning can actually break the compulsion, he can however truly command weak feral youkai (eg. he can command feral one-tail kitsune, but not Rumia).

The extremely long rest he had has weakened him incredibly, at his power's height, he could literally command all feral Youkai regardless of strength and his compulsions could affect all Youkai with reasoning.

Hopefully that explained things.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 11:47:13 PM »

Quote from: The Five Magic Stones
> If you are joined with these scary sparkleless Mary-Sues?
QUALIFYING AS A MARY SUE IN GENSOKYO, A PLACE FULL OF COLORFUL YOUNG GIRLS WITH OVERCOMPLICATED OUTFITS AND VAGUELY DEFINED POWERS, WOULD BE AN IMPRESSIVE FEAT.

Coming soon: An edit to make this an actual relevant post to this thread. She's a wind reader, so look forward to it.

Said Edit:

Brise Yamabushi

Species:  Human? (Long lived and living as a hermit)
Abilities: Ability to read and interpret the wind. Ability to predict weather patterns. Slow age.
Age:  82 as of 2011, became a hermit at age 16, at the beginning of the second 60 year cycle.

Description:
Brise has shoulder length, orange-brown hair, and wears a dark mahogany hat topped with a gold ball and tied with a red ribbon. She has a dark pink shirt with gold borders and wears black shorts. She also wears dark red geta and loose bobby socks. She carries a staff topped with a gold ball and tied with a very long ribbon that she uses to read the wind's movements.

She is confident in her ability to read the winds and predict the weather, but Gensokyo being the way it is makes these predictions less accurate due to the great number of supernatural elements that can effect the weather. Under natural circumstances, however, her predictions are spot-on.

Background:
During the outside world's year 1945, the Hakurei Border was weakening and a great many disturbances ran through Gensokyo. At this time, Brise's duty, along with other wind readers' was to help Gensokyo's residents prepare for any inclement weather by interpreting the wind patterns. However, due to the  rapid and unpredictable nature of Gensokyo at this time, the weather was also unpredictable and wind readers were seen as useless and grew loathed for their unreliable predictions. Under this pressure, Brise ran from the human village and settled as a hermit in the Youkai Mountain.  She gained the admiration of the mountain Youkai with her relatively great weather prediction which they used to find out the best times for hunting. Her current residence is unknown but she is often seen with mountain Youkai such as Tengu and Kappa.

Relationships:
None known, has been seen with Kappa and other Mountain Youkai and doesn't seem to be targeted by Youkai.

Titles:
Forgotten and Hated Weathergirl
Procession Adviser (Vael)

(Brise appears as a stage 3 boss directing the heroines toward the more important figures of the game after she is defeated)
Prediction "Heavy Downpour": Small, closely packed  rain bullets  gather and then fall, all in the same direction. The pattern is unaimed and dense, but the predictable path of the rain makes it easy to dodge.
Prediction "Easterly Wind": Winds from the east blow bullets in from the right side of the screen. The wind also pushes the enemy to the left slowly, and at least one group of bullets actively follows the enemy in its spawn position, forcing them to keep moving.
Prediction "Dense Fog": Thick patches of fog move in to cover the top half of the screen, giving the bullets coming out less time to avoid. The bullets themselves are a mix of slow unaimed shots and fast aimed shots.
Hermit Sign "Forgotten Weather": Swirling wind carries snow bullets in a spiral pattern while flashes of booming thunder and lightning cause the screen to shake. The bullets are slow, but gather in clumps at the bottom of the screen and the flashes can be distracting
Prediction "Flash Flood": Water crawls up from the bottom of the screen until it takes up the bottom fourth of the screen. The edges of this water are actually bullets and after the water fills up, it starts to churn as waves crash into the sides of the screen. The water becomes more unsettled throughout the spell, and Brise avoids the crashing water as well. Even though Brise predicted the weather, she can't control it, so the spell is very double-edged.

Random Trivia:
Most of her spell cards refer to weather patterns which are naturally hard to predict, such has specific strong wind directions and flash floods.
She dodges her own attack when using Prediction "Flash Flood," possibly showing that she doesn't have much experience in controlling her attacks.
Her given name, Brise, is French for "breeze," referring to her ability to read the winds. It is unknown if this is her actual name or one she took up as a hermit. Her "family" name, Yamabushi literally means "mountain hermit" .
The colours of her outfit, red and gold,  suggest a degree of wealth to her, but this contrasts with her being a hermit.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:54:09 AM by iK »
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:21:39 AM »
@iK: It depends on what you consider a Mary Sue, really; if you consider other kinds, it would be very easy to make one for this setting.
You could have the purity sue- the character can do no wrong, everyone realises she is right after arguing with her, anyone who acts against her is excommunicated, and so on.
There's also the black hole sue- everything revolves around her, whenever two characters interact when she isn't there, the subject will invariably be about her.
Then there's the mary tzu: the gambit abilties of batman mixed with Yukari and Light Yagami. No matter what the situation, it was all to forward her own plans and you walked right into her trap, muahhaha.
You could have a character that's obviously just taking one character and removing her faults, or beefing up her powers- "My character is a half-vampire half-oni with none of the weaknesses, who can control borders better than Yukari".
A Power sue wouldn't be too hard either, just give them the ability to steal or override other's powers, or the ability to control them unconditionally.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:34:24 AM by haoreos2 »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 04:33:35 AM »
The Watatsuki Sisters are Touhou's Mary Sues.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 06:07:20 AM »
The Watatsuki Sisters are Touhou's Mary Sues.

This, so hard. They are the only characters in the series I actively dislike.
I prefer to imagine that whole story was a bad fanfic whenever possible.

iK

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »
Drawing in ZUN style is hard. It requires a specific lack of grace while retaining relative stylistic appeal.

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 12:45:36 AM »
This'll be fun. I might be able to get around to actually designing some characters I've had floating around for some time now.

Rena Shirai
I may post a picture soon.
Species: Tennin
Abilities: Can enter dreams
Occupation: None (well, probably something but I can't think of anything right now)

Description:
She wears a purple, white and blue top with small short sleeves and a white cardigan over the top. She has a blue skirt with white patches that look like clouds and wears black socks that come to just above the knee. She wears white strappy sandals and her hair is light brown with a side ponytail, kept up by a red band with two red feathers. She also carries a glass staff which looks like the bud of a lotus flower at the end, and has small, white, feathered wings. Her height isn't very noticable as she isn't too short or tall.
She gets rather over-excited and is rather over-emotional in general, one of those people who cries at films and the like. She's also rather spacey and annoying at times, not stopping pestering someone until she knows everything. For that reason people who know who she is often keep away from her, but she usually doesn't notice because she never really stays in one place and therefore doesn't meet the same people again. Sometimes if her mind is strong enough she can perform stronger magic with her staff, but the reason her mind is strong is often because her emotions are. If her emotions are strong she could be lost in her thoughts, meaning she could control her staff and harm passing people without realising. This is another reason why she is avoided. She likes being alone, however, and is often seen hanging around lakes or large bodies of water because she says that she likes how water looks and feels. However, she can't swim. Some people have said they've seen her around the Sanzu River but she tends to stay away from the dead and spirits.

Background:
People sometimes wonder why she isn't in heaven like most Tennin, and this is because she was exiled. She used to be very powerful with the ability to create and control dreams as well as enter them but was taken over one day by an evil spirit which tried to make her control the others in Heaven and become the ruler. (Her wings grew and turned black during this time but the reason for this is unknown.) The spirit was eventually banished from her body and sealed away, however her soul was corrupted and she was still bloodthirsty and bitter. Little had changed from before; she was still trying to take power. Other strong Tennin thought it was best to capture her to cleanse her soul and they managed to do this, but to do it they also had to downgrade her power and status, also exiling her from Heaven not just for their sake, but for hers as they didn't want to make it easy for the spirit to find her if the seal somehow broke.
They had to partially wipe her mind from the incident so she has little memory of it but still remembers a couple of things. However, she doesn't know where these memories come from and prefers not to try to remember as this confuses and frightens her.
There's a rumour that if she feels an emotion strong enough and concentrates her mind she can transform into her "other form", the form she had while possessed. This means that she will still have most of her usual personality but be more sophisticated and possibly a bit evil at times. As stated before her wings will be larger and black. The bud on her staff "blossoms" into a lotus flower and appears to glow. Her hair seems to get slightly longer as well.
(In Heaven she wore a kimono like most Tennin, I just don't know what it looks like yet.)

Relationships:
Some people wonder if she knew Tenshi while in Heaven but she hasn't confirmed this.

Titles:
The Wandering Exile

(I originally intended her to be a stage 1 boss with an ex midboss status, but I don't think it really works anymore, so let's just say she's stage 2/3 or something.)
Dream "Dungeon School"
Lasers spawn at the bottom, sides and top of the screen and stay there throughout the card, making it so the player has to stay in the relative center and dodge clusters of bullets which she conjures every 4 seconds or so. She aims them at you so you have to misdirect them, but they space out and get faster the longer they have to travel so you could run into a stray bullet if you're not careful.
Dream "Late at Dawn"
A grey mist appears at the top of the screen and a line of about six bullets form inside it. They then explode into more bullets each and fall down towards the player. Rena stands in the middle and shoots circles of lasers which are randomly orientated.
Vivid Dream "Chased by Fate"
A magic circle locks on you and a charge-up sound is heard. The circle then explodes into a large cluster of bullets which fall to the bottom of the screen and spread out, staying there for the rest of the card. This happens every 5 seconds or so and you can't go to the bottom of the screen because the bullets are in the way. She shoots distorted circles of random knives which get denser the higher the difficulty.
Random Trivia:
If she was an EX midboss, her cards would be named Nightmare "XXX" or something along those lines. Also I'm not sure if the above cards are more stage 2 Normal worthy or stage 3 Normal worthy. Probably stage 2 because the 2nd card sounds kinda easy to me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:12:11 PM by Glimmer »

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
[attach=1]

I hope her name and base concept won't bother any of you :ohdear: I mean, since she's an OC stand in for me and all orz

Name: Satsuki Rin

Species: Dragon God
Abilities: Manipulation of flows and direction
Occupation: The King of Hell's servant beast and ex-god of the Yellow River

Description:
A fairly tall young woman with ankle-length brown hair, golden yellow slit-pupiled eyes and large fangs. She wears a simple white gi with shortened sleeves and a shortened bottom with a monk's cloth over it. She also wears a red scarf with gold linings over her neck. Her lace trimmed socks reach all the way up to her thighs and she is constantly seen carrying around an erhu.

She appears to have a rather cheerful and happy-go-lucky personality and her temper is noted to be unusually mild for a dragon god. She is well liked by the village children and youkai children alike as they see her as a playmate and an easy prey for free treats. However when one challenges her patience and crosses a boundary, she will not hesitate to lash out. Like everyone in Gensokyo, she can also be highly combative.

Background:
Rin was originally the god of the Yellow River in China. She was an immensely powerful figure in the Taoist pantheon at that time and was dubbed "the cradle of Chinese civilization" by many. It is said that the creator god, Nuwa scooped handfuls of mud from the Yellow River in order to shape humans.

Her humble job of regulating the flow of the river on a daily basis quickly morphed into a more powerful ability of controlling flows and directions when humans started worshipping her. Despite her noble rank as an established god, she was also a very gentle and loving god who would stop at nothing to assist humans in their daily needs. Soon, as the civilization grew humans also became more and more wicked. They are willing to turn against each other for personal gain, murder out of jealousy and hatred and drown their own flesh and blood in the river. Such vile actions angered the god who in turn, decided to teach humans a lesson by overflowing the river and drowning them instead. When the matter was addressed to the Taoist pantheon, they didn't bother with punishing the dragon god for they too, thought that her actions were justified. But over time, when the floods began to get more and more severe, the gods finally took action and suspended her of her duty as well as her title as the god of the Yellow River. Annexed out of her home and too ashamed to seek refuge from the Taoist heaven and other gods, she traveled all the way to the east of China, to a country called Japan.

She happened to come across a massive but seemingly dead river without an owner or a local dragon guardian protecting it. Without a second thought, she decided to take over the river, also known as the Sanzu no Kawa and use it to continue her rebellion against humans. However, before she could proceed, the jizou of Higan named Eiki Shiki showed up in time to stop her.

Both of them reasoned but no compromise was reached, prompting a fierce and massive row between the dragon god and the jizou. The fight was intense and lasted for a few nights, which ended with the jizou's victory after she nearly beheaded the dragon god.

Awed and inspired by the jizou's power and ability, she decided to become the jizou's underling and serve under her. As proof of her service to her master, she was given the name "Satsuki", meaning 'fifth month'. "Rin" was a name she gave herself but it is written in Chinese to remind herself of her heritage.

The Taoist pantheon was pleasantly amazed by her sudden change and allowed her to come back as the god of the Yellow River again. However, she gently refused and vowed to stay by her master's side. Nevertheless, the Taoist heaven still obligates everyone else to address Rin as the god of the Yellow River as they find it fitting to restore her title as a gesture of respect to a once revered god.

Her power involves the manipulation of flows that make up many things and are vital in many naturally occuring phenomenas. It allows her to control things such as wind, pressure, thunder, temperature and such. A more abstract usage of her powers would be manipulating the flow of cosmic energy and chi. Her other power, the manipulation of directions, allows her to reverse and change the path of the flows. At full power in her dragon form she can even control the movement of planets, create, control and destroy orbits.

Relationships:
Shikieiki Yamaxanadu - Satsuki has served the Jizou of Higan faithfully and loyally for a very long time, even before she became the Yamaxanadu. Their relationship was initially a very formal master/servant one. But with time, they soon developed an extremely strong bond. Their mutual understanding of each other runs very deep, and most of the time, it seems to others that they're almost inseparable. Over the years however, their formal bond mellowed and wore off. Now Satsuki treats her master as though she's a younger sister, and her master in turn, allows her servant to fuss over her as she desires. Satsuki has pledged undying loyalty towards her master and is willing to go all out to protect and serve her master for as long as she lives.

Onozuka Komachi - Komachi is the subordinate of Shikieiki and the ferrywoman of the Sanzu river. It seems that she is always getting into trouble with her superior because of her lazy and lackadiscal attitude. Sometimes, Satsuki tries to get the shinigami to work by encouraging her. Although she is not as harsh as her master, Satsuki also nags at Komachi once in a while to get her job done so it won't trouble her master. Despite this, both of them maintain a friendly relationship with each other and the shinigami is always welcome to stay at her temple at Muenzuka.

Yakumo Yukari - Satsuki knows Yukari as an extremely powerful and elderly youkai and she respects her for it. She also knows her as a good friend and drinking buddy but doesn't get why the gap youkai treats her servant beast so harshly. Although she feels a bit sorry for Ran, she doesn't outright show it because she is fully aware that Yukari can thrash her within seconds should any misunderstanding result in a fight. Yukari's powers over boundaries are highly effective against her manipulation of flows and directions.

Spellcards:
(All of her spellcards reference Taoist gods and Myths)

Jewel Sign - Pearl of the Dragon
Bullets will be fired at two waves. In the first wave, Satsuki will fire orbs and small round bullets that will multiply rapidly for three times. The second wave will show a similar pattern but it won't multiply. Instead, the bullets will enlarge from fire orbs to bubble bullets and small round bullets to large orbs. A dragon's pearl is said to be able to multiply and increase the things which it comes into contact with.

Annual Duty - The Kitchen God's Report
Red bubble bullets, small round bullets and lasers shoot from below the screen at a crawling pace. It will eventually speed up when it gets closer to the top of the screen. This spellcard references the Taoist tradition of burning the kitchen god's plaque by Chinese households at the end of every year. It is said that the god will then go up to heaven and make his report to the High God on how the family had been behaving all year round.

Qizi Festival - The Night of Sevens
Satsuki will summon two rows of bullets at the side the player to form a very narrow space which represents the bridge of magpies on the night of sevens. Droplet bullets will fill almost the entire screen and fall rapidly, leaving very little space for the player to dodge.

Title:
King Yama's Beast (orz couldn't think of a better title)

Random Trivia:
-She enjoys smoking on inscense during her free time
-Unlike Miko and her allys, Satsuki is more on religious Taoism rather than the philosophical type. And she likes Buddhism.
-She stashes various things under her clothes, such as a string of 108 prayer beads, a feng shui compass, a wooden Taoist exorcism sword and incense.
-Her erhu is a gift from her master, used to summon danmaku after the Spellcard rules have been established and her non-spell danmaku bullets are shaped like prayer beads.
-She wears a scarf around her neck at all times to conceal the scar given to her by her master who nearly beheaded her.
-She is extremely talented in geomancy, pressure points, mathematics, and housekeeping. Especially housekeeping.
-She can usually be found at her Taoist temple in Muenzuka when she is not with her master in Higan.
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
Name: Violet Yakumo

Species: Youkai
Abilities: Limited Boundary Manipulation, Getting Drunk without Alcohol

Description & Background:
Yukari's older sister. Her abilities are far weaker than those of her younger sister, because she has focused more on increasing her physical strength. Unfortunately, since physical strength is effectively useless in Gensokyo thanks to the spellcard rules, she barely qualifies as a stage 3 boss. Newly arrived in Gensokyo, she refuses to explain what she had been doing beforehand, which has led everyone to assume that it's something illegal. She at first appears to posses a calm, polite demanour, but she has mood swings which give her a firey personality and gets her into fights.

Relationships:
Yukari Yakumo: She sees Yukari as her cute little sister and calls her Yu-chan. Yukari is not quite as fond of her in retun though.
Reimu Hakurei: For some reason, her temper never flares up around Reimu. Reimu gets annoyed by her constant hanging around, but quite likes her otherwise. Whether she would like her if she lost her temper is unknown as of yet.
Marisa Kirisame: They are currently feuding. No-one quite knows why
She seeks out physical fighters such as Meiling, Youmu, Meira and the Oni and challenges them to fights.

Titles:

Whirling Blades: In what is totally not a ripoff of Elly, she throws three large double bladed spears like boomerangs towards the player with a light smattering of bullets in between.

Needle Strike: Several short, thin, fast lazers fly randomly around the screen. They are actually her swords.

A Cold Shower: She opens a gap below the oceans surface and dumps water on top of the players head. There may be fish.

Holy whirlwind: By spinning quickly, she causes a whirlwind in her vicinity. She fires bullets that are too heavy to be influenced by the wind as the player is trapped in the vortex around her.

Creators Paradise: In a fit of uninspiration, she starts simply throwing all of her weapons at the player. The name of the spellcard is completely unrelated to its contents.

Random Trivia:
Like all older sisters, her favourite hobby is embarrasing her younger sister.
Her primary proficiency is exotic weapons.
Quite possibly the only person in Gensokyo that doesn't drink. However, she has the ability to become drunk without drinking, so she isn't left out at parties.
Either her parents are extremely unimaginitive, or she and her sister think along the same lines when creating pseudonyms. Although she claims that she was named after the Violet flower, not the colour.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:05:01 PM by Desu_Cake »

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 12:20:34 AM »
I hope her name and base concept won't bother any of you :ohdear:
Read the signature.  To uphold my position, I must now eat your heart.

...Kidding, of course.  She's... Different from what I would've seen her as, but I suppose a character with her, um, existential difficulties is a little hard to pin down anyways, ahah.  She's not bad, I guess.  Not what I would go with (no matter what, I'm sticking with the theory that she was supposed to be a kirin), but, uh, yeah.

Um, hmmm, always like taking part in these threads... Might try and make something up later, but for now I guess I'll just repost one I did a while back that got some good feedback.

(The picture's not my work, obviously.  Ryuu's... Sister, I think?  I think, might be remember wrong... Anyways, she drew that.)
Name: Sadako Kakashi
Title: The Little Lost Scarecrow (to herself), The Walking Nightmare (to everyone else)
Species: Tsukumogami scarecrow
Ability: Anyone who gazes upon her sees her as their worst fear.  Fittingly for her original purpose, this seems to affect bird-like youkai far more intensely than anyone else.
Occupation: Hobo. >.>  Well, kind of.  She continually wanders around Gensokyo, looking for a friend.

Description: Shoulder length, messy hair with the colour and general appearance of straw underneath a burlap cap.  Her skin is very pale, which added to her sunken cheeks and the dark rings around her eyes give her face an almost skull-like appearance.  Her eyes are orange and faintly glow in low light conditions.  She wears a tattered, ragged black and red striped sweater (the once bright colours now faded to dullness), a grubby pair of baggy grey trousers and a pair of green wellington boots caked with mud.  Anyone who hears her before setting an eye on her will notice that her voice is soft and sounds rather unsure of itself, and if they somehow smell her before seeing her, they will notice that she smells oddly like pumpkins.

At least, that's what she sees when she looks at her reflection.  Anyone else looking at her will see, not a grungy but oddly cute little girl, but an embodiment of their own worst fear.  The sole exception to this are the various bird youkai (and by extension, tengu), who instead see her as a nightmarishly demonic scarecrow monster whose very appearance they find so horrifying that they become a quivering wreck for several days.

Contrary to her nightmare invoking and inducing powers, all she really wants is a friend.  She's been tied to a pole in the middle of a field for as long as she can remember, and always longed to spend time with the children that she saw playing in the neighbouring farmlands.  As the years went by, the thought of going out there and finding someone who'd be her friend was the only thing that really kept her sane whilst bound and unable to move even an inch from her field.  Unfortunately, ever since being freed from her post, all attempts to befriend others have led to them running away screaming or curling up into a foetal ball anf gibbering inanely, much to her chagrin.  Still, she continues to wander around Gensokyo, ever hopeful that one day, she'll meet someone who won't be terrified of her.  One day, she'll no longer be alone.

...One day.  Sigh.

Relationships:
All birdlike youkai (object of terror, something of a bogeyman that mothers tell their children about to get them to behave)
Kogasa (object of fascination, were she not so terrified of Sadoko they would make pretty good friends)
Nue (as above)

...Huh, thought I got around to writing up spellcards for her at some point.  Oh well, might do those later, I guess.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

iK

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
Since a part of this thread is helping make more titles for people's characters, I'll do my best, so please wait warmly as I ponder.

Wakayama no Dansei- The Spectre Who Leaves Unnoticed

Saeko Yamada-  Smithy of Legendary Relics
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:51:11 AM by iK »

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 06:05:12 PM »
Now, as we've seen from the frankly, amazing Abilities thread,

Oh why ty sir.

[Image]

Looks like Reimu

Since a part of this thread is helping make more titles for people's characters,

Oh I'll reque- oh wait, that part is done already.

Though this idea fits in the Danmakufu board, I think it'd be neat if some characters were scripted up a card or as a playable or something. It'd be neat.

Vael

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 07:49:43 PM »
Ah finally. some time to post these up.

========

Saeko Yamada:
Looks fun, kinda like an oni, but not quite...I could see Dansei reluctantly visiting her every so often to ask for repairs to his Family Blade...with lots of sake so he could try to avoid her fight requests. You don't mind if I note her down as one of his contacts?

Got a title for her as well, "The Unlimited Smith"

========

Brise Yamabushi:
This one would definitely be a Fourth Stage Boss T-T

Gotta admit to something though, if she had a home, then Dansei would be regular mooch-err...visitor especially during the Summer when he plans Youkai-only festivals and the such.

Can I suggest, "Procession Advisor" as a title?

========

Rena Shirai:
Flat out, this one would interest Dansei to the nth degree. An exiled and sealed Tennin would have him question why would she have been sealed in the first place, as he had helped in sealing the more troublesome Youkai in the past, he would certainly be professionally curious. I see him spending time around a lake at random when he feels a need for quiet company outside his regular crowd, and offering her some random snacks and/or drinks to share in quiet or soft conversation.

A title.....how does "Silent Sinner" sound? Yeah, I know it's lifted from one of the fanworks, but it seems fitting for some reason.

========

Satsuki Rin:
Hmmm...

I really don't know how to feel for her, like pretty much everyone else, I've subscribed to the "Rin = Kirin" theory and thn there's also another overpowered member of Team Muenzuka...this is not bad mind you, just a little ironic that a god once associated with life would serve the judge of the dead. I still can't help but to feel that somehow, she doesn't quite belong, maybe it's her species or backstory as such a powerful and revered chinese dragon diety...but your character, your call.

As for interactions with Dansei, I don't see all that many, non-Youkai don't really interest him, at the same time...flows. He might ask about such things, in order to help him regain his former power and assist in helping to control feral Youkai.

How's this title? "The Undertow of Muenzuka"

========

Violet Yakumo:
I'm really conflicted over this one I'm afraid, but maybe it's because the ideas here run completely counter to everything I've learned about Youkai and Gensokyo. Could you please explain why and how Violet survived outside of Gensokyo, how she managed to escape notice from Yukari, how she came back and got Reimu to like her, what led to the feud with Marisa?

What are her likes, dislikes, guilty pleasures, regrets? Please tell me more.

Are you sure it's such a good idea to have her be Yukari's Older Sister? That's a lot of history to go through and you can't just skip over all of it, especially when she developed in such a different way from her younger sister.

I don't know much about her to come up with a Title for her...sorry.

========

Sadako Kakashi:
You made a scarecrow-tsukumogami moe! That deserves a medal on its own.

As it stands, this one would quite the challenge to face on a day to day basis...Dansei's not interested in facing his latest fear.

How about this for another Title, "Existing Nightmare".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:49:38 AM by Vael »

iK

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 02:46:46 AM »
I wanted to avoid saying she's a stage 4 boss because I couldn't think of character specific spell cards, but thank you for the compliment ^^;

I just realized like half of our characters have "Yama" in their name. WTG original creations.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:58:38 AM by iK »

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 04:11:42 AM »
I just realized like half of our characters have "Yama" in their name. WTG original creations.

Eh, I just picked a name at random (Jiro Yamada) from my manga plot notes, which was originally thrown in because it is apparently the japanese equivalent of John Smith in blandness, and switched the first name to a female one I hear a fair bit.
Admittedly names are the one thing I have real trouble with when it comes to originality, especially since my only knowledge of them comes from anime, manga, or the discussion thereof.

Saeko Yamada:
Looks fun, kinda like an oni, but not quite...I could see Dansei reluctantly visiting her every so often to ask for repairs to his Family Blade...with lots of sake so he could try to avoid her fight requests. You don't mind if I note her down as one of his contacts?
Got a title for her as well, "The Unlimited Smith"

Feel free. I tend to find character interactions flesh out characters more than abilities or spellcards, and just as much as background or biographies anyway.

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
A title.....how does "Silent Sinner in blue" sound? Yeah, I know it's lifted from one of the fanworks, but it seems fitting for some reason.
Fix'd for the fun of it.

Uh les see. Titles titles...
I only have a few for my ocs i've made.
People can try to guess about the characters through their titles though. Since they link to the ability

Eternal and Undying Flame
Youkai of Black Rain
Darkness Lurking in Everyone's Soul
The Fastest Living Being
The Soul's Sweet Lullaby

Oh and my totally not unique characters who actually have names. Nashira, Chitra, Kaya. And that's all that actually have names.

ALSO WHY IS THIS ONE CHARACTER TAKING ME FOREVER TO DESIGN. ARGH

iK

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 12:32:42 AM »
I'll give this thread a second breath of life since I feel like a lot of these characters are really nice and stuff.

Uh les see. Titles titles...
I only have a few for my ocs i've made.
People can try to guess about the characters through their titles though. Since they link to the ability

Eternal and Undying Flame- I can only personally think of a phoenix, but that would be Mokou...
Youkai of Black Rain- A Bai Ze. Keine gets a friend c:
Darkness Lurking in Everyone's Soul- Something that can manipulate fears/evil thoughts?
The Fastest Living Being- SANIC THA HADGEHAG.
The Soul's Sweet Lullaby- Able to calm others/induce sleep?