Author Topic: [Contest] Design Challenge - Maidens of the Marianas Trench  (Read 12153 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya

Hi, I'm Troy McClure Roukanken. Some of you probably know me from my writing over at PSL. You may also know that I'm the guy who's been hoping for an underwater Touhou with every release since MoF. I'm still waiting, but I've decided to take matters into my own hands this time around.

Artists of the Atelier! To celebrate both summer and the upcoming demo of Touhou 14, I'm running a contest of my own. I'm looking for art based on one simple subject:
If the next Touhou game took place underwater, how would characters dress to prepare for it?
There's no restriction regarding what character you draw, or what method they use. Maybe Reimu learns a transformation spell from Yukari, or Marisa gets some handy diving tech from her kappa contacts. The focus is on creativity - cool, interesting outfits are what I'm looking for (although technical skill is always a plus).

Of course, there are prizes to be won! When the contest ends, I'll judge the entries and select the three that I think are the best designed and executed. These three winners will all receive a copy of Resonance on Steam, and for the winner I'll also throw in two of my favourite indie RPGs - Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves The World.

Some ground rules:
- Any art style goes. Digital, pencil, pixel art - whatever your specialty is! Priority will go to inventive design over technical prowess. (If you aren't artistically inclined, you can go for a short story instead!)
- During submission you can also supply descriptions of some of the accessories/gadgets your outfit contains. These will be considered in the judging process.
- Deadline will be in two weeks time, at midnight GMT on the 20th of May. (If in that time we find out that Touhou 14 IS taking place underwater, I'll extend my prizegiving from the top 3 entries to top 5.)
- Obviously you'll need Steam if you want to collect these games. If you don't have it you can download it for free here. If you're one of the winners, I'll PM you to get your name so I can pass along your prize.

If there are any other questions, just ask and I'll answer as best I can.

Good luck, and good drawing! o/

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: [Contest] Design Challenge - Maidens of the Marianas Trench
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »
in.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Formless God

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »
Spoiler:
Are the prices negotiable?

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 07:29:57 PM »
I've been looking for a good excuse to draw sukumizu anyway. Hehe. :3
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »
I'm all in for this one.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
For some reason, I feel like equipping touhous with hi-tech Atlantis-built stuff (thank Yukari) will do. :/

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »
Spoiler:
Are the prices negotiable?
If you mean prizes, not particularly. I've already bought the copies of the game so they're sitting in my Steam giftbox. I can probably buy you something cheap on Steam if you already have Resonance - by cheap, I'm talking $10 max. Otherwise it's that or nothing :V

Spoiler:
If you mean prices and are offering commissions PM me and we can work something out

Formless God

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »
aaaaaaaaa why did I even make that typo

by cheap, I'm talking $10 max. Otherwise it's that or nothing :V
It's $10 on Steam :V

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:08:45 AM »
It's $10 on Steam :V
That's the point. I'm offering an alternative of equal or lesser value. :V

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 04:55:41 AM »

pew pew pew!

Trying to create a background about "what to draw" I created a little story about some underwater game:

Touhou Aquatic Warmth - 東方闇淵城(とうほうあんえんじょう)

Synopsis:

A strong smell of dead fishes start to impregnate some riverbanks from Gensoukyou. While researching about its cause Nitori discovers that the Oxygen quantity in the water is very low, its temperature is getting higher and there are a lot of mermaid-fairies carrying bubbles of Oxygen to a specific underwater cave. In another place the eternal Shrine Maiden notices that her tea doesn't taste like it was before because of the water, then she goes out to the river's source to take a look and find Nitori there. After some talk they decide to form an alliance to solve this problem.

Nitori creates a plastic suit to let her "fly" better underwater and since our heroine isn't able to breath underwater she creates a mask able to colect the oxygen dropped by the mermaids when you beat them. Also she creates a propulsion system to let her move faster ( an aquatic propeller that uses Reimu's Ying-yang balls to spin ).

Aquatic Reimu outfit with propeller pen drawing
Aquatic Reimu outfit with propeller pen drawing (better scan)
Aquatic Reimu outfit with propeller pen drawing (Colorful path edition)

The mermaids are carrying the oxygen to a selfish Suijin-deity who is interested in feeding a sacred torch that is able to end with the cold and the darkness of her abyssal palace...etc

PS: I need to buy a scanner =(
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:48:09 PM by Kaze_Senshi »
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 11:48:30 PM »
Might try, dunno what the fuuuuck I'mma draw but, I can give it a shot.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Formless God

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 03:53:31 AM »
MID OR FEED

- +20 Limited Refined Exquisite Vintage Ultimate Veiltail P2W Robe for maximum comfy. Armpits guaranteed.
- philFish mask to prevent choking
- eye contacts to dodg bulatt
- Option protector
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:12:13 AM by Formless Void »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »

Formless God

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »
I like giving my files nonsensical names :V

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 10:08:57 AM »
Just a doubt, does any kind of outfit work, or should we try to stick to something that could possibly be in an official Touhou?

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »
Just a doubt, does any kind of outfit work, or should we try to stick to something that could possibly be in an official Touhou?
Whatever you'll have the most fun drawing! :3

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
Well, have some rough lineart then, as proof of concept! 

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »
I updated my entry with a better digitalized version, if I got sometime I'll try to color it. BTW I guessed right the last kanji from the new Touhou's Japanese name  8)

MID OR FEED

- +20 Limited Refined Exquisite Vintage Ultimate Veiltail P2W Robe for maximum comfy. Armpits guaranteed.
- philFish mask to prevent choking
- eye contacts to dodg bulatt
- Option protector
Playable Koishi yay It looks sweet, only the lack of ribbons is strong in this one :)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
Spoiler:
W-Where's the Metapod suit?

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 07:10:18 AM »
1230915019285 hours in MS Paint

because we ain't got time to waste for silly magic diving apparati, do it like every other human.
comes with colorful potions for PURPOSES.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
meta like a pod
As long as Touhou exists in the heart of ZUN, my desire for diverTouhous will never be truly defeated.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 01:35:09 AM »
I didn't even click on the thread or notice it much but I knew this thread was so yours.
Roukan.
I am in, I think, if I can make it.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Playing in full digital let's go - ah crap this pic sucks, I think a do-over is in order V:

Stopped mostly due to ridiculous errors in the body outline, and uploaded this anyway to show a proof-of-concept.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
I shouldn't be allowed to draw goggles, right
I tried to go for a shark motif because :reasons: also, potions of water breathing are a thing, I guess!

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
LE DEADLINE!

Thanks to everyone who took part. I noticed a few people who'd said they would draw something that haven't posted, so if you want to post your pics in this thread after that's cool.

Now, onto the results:

3rd: Kaze-Senshi! A nice little costume design, and the story that went along with it really gave it a bit more character.
2nd: Bound! When I saw your lineart I was thinking that there wasn't enough character to it, but now I've seen the coloured version I take it all back. I'd missed little features like the shark hat. And Mimi as a torpedo is just brilliant.
1st: Kilgamayan Who else could it be but Formless God? Man, you knocked this one right out of the park. That Reimu design is nothing short of beautiful.

Congrats to the three of you. PM me your steam IDs and I'll get around to sending you your prizes.

We now return to your scheduled Guilty Alice programming. :3

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »
well, this sucks, I thought I live in the future
here we go: Mask/Goggles/Diving headgear by Nitori Tech

Stuff:
Since I didn't get any time to clean it whatsoever or edit it...

General gameplay system:
1. Air System, much like MOF, air represents how much air is left for the player, any player with no air left automatically dies, when respawn she gains an additional bomb, and loses 1 power (4.00 -> 3.00) and have a green air meter indicating she has full air , this air meter will gradually decrease until red, and then when empty, player dies.

2. Air Bubble System - enemies generate friction through firing danmaku, friction creates magical air bubbles which the player must capture in order to extend their air meter.

3. Playable Characters: Marisa, Reimu, Iku Nagae, and Suwako. (Suwako and Iku Nagae do not get affected by the Air System as bad as Marisa and Reimu, but are slower, and their powers more towards shotgun and close distance)
 - Reimu - uses orbs that ram the enemies, massive orb as bomb. standard talisman bullets, slower bullets but smallest hitbox.
 - Marisa - Starlight Reverie, standard laser from surfboard, may switch to focused laser in pinpoint form. (1 thick stream)
 - Iku Nagae - a close distance bomb with her drill, spread type electric 'eels' projectile, semi-tracing projectiles.
 - Suwako - shotgun type, non spread, weak when distanced, slow but small hitbox, has the biggest air meter and can literally ignore air bubbles system if played well. Massive frog bomb.

Nitori x Marisa again - the team of friendship never fails, while lacking the hakkero's granted Master Spark, Marisa can summon her Starlight Reverie to her aid, and with her broom gone, it is up to the Kappa to come up with an ingenious way to waft through water... so how about a surfboard? BUT SURFBOARDS WORK ON WATER NOT IN IT, well, not this one. Utilizing its streamline shape, Marisa retains most of her speed but especially forward, less sideways which makes her movements a bit limited. Utilizing the same system from her SA bomb, the shield that neutralizes enemy projectiles, Nitori is able to make the suit, which resembles the shield but is used to repel water instead of bullets. This means Marisa when moving is actually floating in an air bubble like protection, surfing through it while shooting at the enemy with her lazors.

Marisa's fins improves her movements when she loses the surfboard (which is changeable once she runs out of air (when the air meter goes to red)
Only Marisa has a diving mask of sorts that gives her one last dose of oxygen until she dies of suffocation, which is GLUGG BLOBBBB EGGHHGGGRHHIAMDROWNING. She switches to her fins for maximum maneuvering power, allowing her to use her abnormal speed much like Trance mode. This however, means she will go down really fast unless she finds some air, some enemies deliberately don't give air until they die, making it all the more difficult.

During Desperation Mode (red meter) other players have other types of moves, but Marisa is about heightened speed and maneuverability. They all last approximately 10 seconds.
Reimu gains a temporary Yukari barrier which gives her some extra projectiles, heightened power that last 6 seconds out of 10 seconds of remaining air.
Iku Nagae gains Tenshi's rocks, more attack power, but slows down even more. not ideal, but at close range can be deadly.
Suwako gains Sanae's faith, changing her bullet type to spread carpet bombing instead, ideal for killing enemies that just entered the screen and grabbing some oxygen.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:16:53 PM by ♛ 食蜂操祈 »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?