Author Topic: [Art] I dig giant robots  (Read 2129 times)

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
[Art] I dig giant robots
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:54:22 AM »
For whatever reason, I decided to draw some Paint.NET scribbles inspired by Touhou Mecha: Hell's Rising, along with some technical data (it's not really meant to fit in with TMHR's story; the terminology is there mainly as a point of reference). I was going to put this in the Post Your Artwork thread, but I've got three of these so far and the text had exploded in length before I knew it, so a thread it is.

First off, Reimu. Any
Spoiler:
Gundam
references are wholly intentional.

CMX-00 "Wuji"

Gensokyo's first known Arcane Machina, constructed by the genius scientist Yukari Yakumo by combining Tengu and Lunarian technology with an unknown power system. Its light armor and large number of vernier thrusters give it exceptional maneuverability. While some aspects of its design are outdated, in the hands of a skilled pilot it is still a force to be reckoned with. Only members of the Hakurei clan are capable of achieving proper synchronisation with the Wuji's MIKO system; in the event of its current pilot's death, the unit is left idle until another can be found.

Equipment: 2x head-mounted light vulcans, 4x wrist-mounted "Persuader" heavy vulcans, barrier generator, 4x fantasy bits, MIKO system, "Youkai Buster" missiles

Barrier Generator: Boasting a protective arc of only 110 degrees, the Wuji's barrier system is inferior to that of modern Arcane Machina. As a weapon of last resort, the generator can be ejected from the Wuji and hurled or kicked at an opponent; this attack is more powerful than the Wuji's fantasy bits, but as an unguided weapon it's only good for one shot (and, obviously, deprives the unit of a barrier afterwards).

Fantasy Bits: A set of blade-type remote weapons normally kept docked to the unit's wrists and feet. Energy from the Wuji's core is transmited to the bits via transmitters in the wings, granting them enhanced cutting power and the ability to penetrate barriers. As controlling the motion of the bits requires immense concentration and interferes with the normal operation of the wings, using them leaves the unit somewhat vulnerable. While docked, the bits provide additional thrusters for maneuverability, and be used as melee weapons at reduced power. *cough* Ascension Kick *cough*

MIKO System: The original form of the Arcane Link System, never successfully replicated by youkai engineers, the MIKO system incorporates a neural interface which renders the Wuji almost an extension of the pilot's body, completely replacing the controls and displays of standard cockpits. Whenever the system detects danger, the data is fed directly into the pilot's nervous system to achieve a reflex response, which is then converted back into motion data; harnessing the pilot's natural reflexes in this manner allows the unit to achieve incredible response time even while the pilot is distracted.

"Youkai Buster" Missiles: An array of missiles mounted on the Wuji's back, specially constructed to absorb the unique energy of the unit's core. On detonation these missiles release this energy in the form of a cloud which disrupts conventional power systems, rendering most military vehicles helpless. When the Wuji was created this was considered a terrifying weapon which made it effectively a one-man army, but the growing use of Arcane Machina threatens to make it obsolete; when such opponents are expected, the Wuji can instead be fitted with conventional missiles.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:35:08 PM by Prime32 »

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
Re: [Art] I dig giant robots
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:08:30 AM »
Oh hey, Touhou Mecha fanart!  I started to think it would be at least another Chapter before I started seeing those.  Thank you!

I dig the 80s kind of look it's got going on, like a cross between Gundam and an 80s super robot.  (God Sigma and Daimos came to mind... man, there's a lot of red ones!)

Reimu and her AM will be making an appearance in Touhou Mecha Chapter 3, so stay tuned! 

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »

SDA-06/SDA-F06 "Gun Tepes"

The Gun Tepes is a combination of two units, the Arcane Machina SDA-06 "Gungnir", and the Support Familiar SDA-F06 "Tepes", constructed for the personal use of ace pilot Remilia Scarlet. Its speed and ferocity on the battlefield have earned her the nickname of "The Scarlet Devil".

The Gungnir's armor is made from [DATA REDACTED], a material which is light and durable, but rarely used in Machina construction due to its low resistance to magical attacks. To compensate for this, the outer surface of the Tepes's wings are constructed from magic-resistant hi'irokane, allowing them to function as a shield in the hands of a sufficiently skilled pilot.
SDA-06 "Gungnir"

At the pilot's request, the Gungnir does not include a barrier, freeing up more power for the weapons and propulsion systems.

Equipment: 2x pistols "Scarlet Shooter", 2x HFP claws, 2x chain crushers

Scarlet Shooters: A pair of high velocity railguns for long-range combat. Their waist holsters double as verniers.

HFP (High Frequency Plasma) Claws: The Gungnir possesses clawed hands which can be charged with an energy field that enables them to cut through barriers. Thrusters built into the arms allow the unit to strike with greater force. Clasping the unit's hands together amplifies the field, but limits their physical damage.

Chain Crushers: The Gungnir's signature weapon. The unit's forearms can be fired on chains, allowing it to attack with its HFP claws from mid-range. The crushers can be maneuvered using the chains, or via their in-built thrusters.

Hell Breaker: A ramming attack usable while in Gun Tepes formation. The Gungnir clasps together its HFP Claws over its head, followed by the Tepes folding its wings over the Gungnir's upper body, causing the unit to resemble a crimson spear. The Tepes's wings channel the energy of the claws, allowing them to extend their cutting field into a wedge shape over the front of the unit.

SDA-F06 "Tepes"

As a Support Familiar, the Tepes is designed with Arcane Machina technology, but relies on a capacitor for power in place of an Arcane Link System; it has a limited continuous operation time, and must dock with an Arcane Machina in order to recharge.

Equipment: 2x grappling hooks, 2x machine gun "Milleaiguilles", Anti-arcane coating, Gravity lift, Slave fang

Anti-Arcane Coating: The backs of the Tepes's wings are coated in an alloy of hi'irokane, allowing them to absorb incoming magical attacks and disperse their energy harmlessly.

Gravity Lift: In addition to standard propulsion systems, the Tepes incorporates a secondary gravity-based system in its wings; while slow, this system allows for the unit to hover at relatively low energy costs, even while carrying extra weight.

Slave Fang: With a suite of lasers, drills, and adjustable connectors, the Tepes is capable of forcibly docking with units other than the Gungnir, tying itself into their power and control systems in order to bring them under the Gungnir's command. Even if the hacking is unsuccessful, it can restrict an enemy's movements while recharging its own power reserves.

A few influences here, but it's mostly a mashup of the Zeong, Shin Mazinger and a Fairlion. The finishing move was originally just going to be Heart Break, but the name didn't feel badass enough for that. :V As for how plasma can be high frequency... *runs*
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:20:20 PM by Prime32 »

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
Oh geez I forgot to post this.

SDA-07 "Laevateinn"

An Arcane Machina that does not officially exist, the Laevateinn is the personal unit of the mysterious masked pilot "Una Owen" and the SDM's trump card. Based on the design of the Gungnir but lacking its defensive features, the Laevateinn is an incredibly fragile unit, but compensates with overwhelming firepower and a set of abilities which spread confusion in the enemy ranks.

Equipment: 2x pistols "Scarlet Shooter", 2x HFP claws, 2x chain crushers, demon cradle, 12x gem strikers, catadioptric cloak, QED system

Scarlet Shooters, HFP Claws, Chain Crushers: Identical to the Gungnir.

Gem Strikers: A set of 12 shooting-type remote weapons, developed as a refinement of the Large Gem Strikers used by the SDA-04 "Maga". Their control software allows for them to be directed in any number of complex formations, allowing the pilot to trap enemies in a cage of beams. Each drone also contains a miniaturised illusion projector, and four working in concert are able to project a false image of the Laevateinn which can fool most sensors.

Demon Cradle: A weapon module which replaces the Gungnir's Tepes; the hardpoints for docking are identical on both units, allowing them to exchange equipment if necessary. The cradle has two modes: Arc Mode which acts as a charging rack for the unit's Gem Strikers, and Breaker Mode which can produce an energy blade of enormous size. Breaker Mode exhausts the module's internal power reserves after approximately 5-6 seconds of continuous use, requiring it to be docked to the Laevateinn's back to recharge.

Starbow Break: A high-penetration energy beam fired from the Laevateinn's crown, which flickers in many colours. The flare of light before firing is inexplicably cross-shaped.

Catadioptric Cloak: An advanced cloaking device consisting of a series of projectors mounted on the Laevateinn's knees and shoulders, its use is limited by enormous power requirements, which even Una is unable to supply for long. The projectors themselves are also fragile, preventing the system's use if the Laevateinn sustains damage to those areas.

QED (Quantum Encephalon Disturber) System: A weapon which forcibly projects the pilot's brainwaves into the minds of those around her, effectively disabling them. Due to their indiscriminate nature and severe side-effects, use of psychic weapons is banned by interdimensional treaty; in order for the SDM to maintain plausible deniability, Una is forbidden from using this weapon except as a last resort. The QED System also has one major weakness: the link created is two-way, allowing a sufficiently strong mind to reverse the effect and attack the Laevateinn's pilot.

No Lambda Driver, sorry. :derp: Instead Hi-Nu Gundam meets Alegrias meets Blue Astray 2nd Revision, plus a little Baldios.

I considered adding a tail that connects to the bottom of the cradle in Arc Mode (making Breaker Mode look more like Flandre's original weapon), but that seemed kind of weird.