Author Topic: THE WHEEL OF JAM IS SLAMMING (Blazblue Topic)  (Read 79794 times)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
Re: THE WHEEL OF JAM IS SLAMMING (Blazblue Topic)
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »
Also. If the TV Tropes character page is to be believed, the other two DLC characters will be
Spoiler:
Valkenhayn and Platinum the Trinity

FUCK YES
Spoiler:
VALKENHAYN
Someone went on and looked into the data on the disk, and found essentially empty files labelled with names that suggest that those two are the remaining DLC characters.  Either way, Do Really Want
Spoiler:
Geoffrey from Disgaea 3 Valkenhyne

I didn't know about the Carl Clover announcer.  Do Want that too.

Also: As far as I've heard, yes there's going to be some sort of rebalancing patch at some point in the future.  Mind you, I remember hearing that promise back in Calamity Trigger too.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »
Also, sucks to be SBO?

Uhh I don't think you understand how important SBO is.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2010, 12:32:42 AM »
Uhh I don't think you understand how important SBO is.
Uhh I think you're overestimating the importance of SBO.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #333 on: July 02, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »
Uhh I think you're overestimating the importance of SBO.

Yeah I totally am overestimating the largest and most prestigious fighting tournament in the world ::)

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #334 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
Yeah I totally am overestimating the largest and most prestigious fighting tournament in the world ::)
Because being represented at SBO is what sells copies of BlazBlue, never mind that anyone who has even heard of SBO would already know about BlazBlue and, in all likelihood, already have a number of opinions about it, including whether or not they'd spend money on it. :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #335 on: July 02, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »
SBO got in a lot of deep shit when they let Arcana Heart FULL in yet let people qualify on the older game since the upgrade was not cheap.  I doubt they'll make the same mistake if Aksys charges for a BBCS repatch for arcades.  And if Aksys doesn't repatch BBCS arcade and only patches console, then there will be a huge disparity between SBO, a strictly arcade version tournament, and EVO, the console only counterpart.

And being at SBO gives legitimacy to your game in the competitive scene.  And it's the competitive scene that makes or breaks a fighting game in Japan.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2010, 10:40:15 PM »
SBO got in a lot of deep shit when they let Arcana Heart FULL in yet let people qualify on the older game since the upgrade was not cheap.  I doubt they'll make the same mistake if Aksys charges for a BBCS repatch for arcades.  And if Aksys doesn't repatch BBCS arcade and only patches console, then there will be a huge disparity between SBO, a strictly arcade version tournament, and EVO, the console only counterpart.
Okay. And why, exactly, should Aksys cater to one specific fighting game tournament, with an established competitor that will most definitely not be using an outdated version of the game? if the SBO organizers decide to use the old version of Continuum Shift, then... oh well? It's their decision, and they're entitled to it, but what benefit does Aksys really get from catering to them, compared to trying to push sales of the console version?

And being at SBO gives legitimacy to your game in the competitive scene.  And it's the competitive scene that makes or breaks a fighting game in Japan.
Fortunately, the money of other nations is just as useful for buying things. And the worldwide gaming market is growing, while the Japanese gaming market is shrinking.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
Okay. And why, exactly, should Aksys cater to one specific fighting game tournament, with an established competitor that will most definitely not be using an outdated version of the game? if the SBO organizers decide to use the old version of Continuum Shift, then... oh well? It's their decision, and they're entitled to it, but what benefit does Aksys really get from catering to them, compared to trying to push sales of the console version?

SBO is Japanese, EVO is US.  If you can't understand this distinction then there's no point discussing any further.

Fortunately, the money of other nations is just as useful for buying things. And the worldwide gaming market is growing, while the Japanese gaming market is shrinking.

Japanese are fiercely nationalistic and xenophobic.  It's only in very recent history that other markets have actually been treated like first-class citizens compared to Japan.  And even then we will get inferior versions compared to Japan.  Look at all the 360 "exclusives" that were all just used to pay for extra development for the PS3/JP only rerelease, like Tales of Vesperia.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
SBO is Japanese, EVO is US.  If you can't understand this distinction then there's no point discussing any further.
I freely admit that I know nothing of the tournament scene. But I do genuinely think the balance patch is going to be free, and I'm willing to bet that Aksys has a reason for the course they've chosen. Really, this argument as a whole has been rather stupid, seeing as we're basing speculation off of an extremely low number of hard facts. If nothing else, the arcade issue will be addressed eventually.

Japanese are fiercely nationalistic and xenophobic.  It's only in very recent history that other markets have actually been treated like first-class citizens compared to Japan.  And even then we will get inferior versions compared to Japan.  Look at all the 360 "exclusives" that were all just used to pay for extra development for the PS3/JP only rerelease, like Tales of Vesperia.
...Okay?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:06 PM »
I freely admit that I know nothing of the tournament scene. But I do genuinely think the balance patch is going to be free, and I'm willing to bet that Aksys has a reason for the course they've chosen. Really, this argument as a whole has been rather stupid, seeing as we're basing speculation off of an extremely low number of hard facts. If nothing else, the arcade issue will be addressed eventually.

I'm going off of past Aksys behavior.  AC+ was both console-only AND cost 30 bucks for EXISTING owners of AC to get.  Type-X has no built-in facilities for updating the game nor do I know if it's even feasible to update without replacing the HD the game is stored on (since it's all signed).  Fighting game rebalancing is rare enough as-is and so far it's been about 50/50 on who charges and who doesn't (Capcom didn't charge, Examu did, SNK just releases a new version every year).

I would be pleased as fuck if BBCS console rebalance patch was free AND arcades got updated for free as well, as it would remove any disparity between EVO and SBO.  But if they choose to only update consoles and/or force arcades to pay for the rebalance patch, then we're going to see a very big schism in the competitive BB scene.  SBO may reject the patch outright and avoid the controversy AH FULL caused, or they may do a repeat and there will be fracturing of the scene between the haves and the have nots.  The whole thing is in Aksys's court right now and they can either be a hero or fuck things up hard.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
I disagree that the whole thing is in Aksys's court, unless SBO has some sort of gypsy voodoo curse on it that will only take effect if they choose to use consoles. But your reasoning is sound.

As a bit of random speculation with little basis in reality, I figure that Aksys might just let the arcade version of CS rot - because of the whole piracy debacle. That was a gigantic mess; I wouldn't be surprised if Aksys wants nothing to do with the Type-X from here on out.

(Alternately, they could just shrug and deem it an acceptable risk. I'm not a business major, and I don't work for Aksys, so anything I say really should be taken with a heavy dose of salt.)

Anyway, back to game discussion. Plot's been spoiled!
Spoiler:
Saya's the Imperator, lol

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »
I disagree that the whole thing is in Aksys's court, unless SBO has some sort of gypsy voodoo curse on it that will only take effect if they choose to use consoles. But your reasoning is sound.

As a bit of random speculation with little basis in reality, I figure that Aksys might just let the arcade version of CS rot - because of the whole piracy debacle. That was a gigantic mess; I wouldn't be surprised if Aksys wants nothing to do with the Type-X from here on out.

There is no other system, Type-X is it.  And yes they are royally pissed over the leak so that's why I fear they'll "punish" by making BBCS+ a pay for upgrade.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »
Hmm.

On the one hand, her clothing can generously be called stripperwear.

On the other hand, did anyone see where my face flew to after it got rocked off?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2010, 03:03:21 PM »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #345 on: July 04, 2010, 09:16:25 PM »
You've got to be shitting me.

« Reply #346 on: July 04, 2010, 09:20:30 PM »
SUDDENLY MORE LOLIS

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #348 on: July 06, 2010, 03:10:34 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlFJu0r1ypA
Platinum's theme.
:V
What the fuck am I listening to. :V  It's like the world's manliest magical girl theme.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #349 on: July 06, 2010, 03:26:58 AM »
Spoiler:
Valkenhayn
confirmed for
Spoiler:
werewolf

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #350 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #351 on: July 07, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »
Woah what
Think about it.
Spoiler:
He's the butler of a vampire, he's got a wolf pictured in his crest, his theme song is called Howling Moon... It makes a fair bit of sense, and may suggest a playstyle that differs from "Slayer clone". Which is good, as Makoto's apparently the Slayer clone.

lumber_of_the_beast

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2010, 03:38:10 AM »
Yeah.
Makoto gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2W08x86nFA&playnext_from=TL&videos=98AUn3tLmbs

And this. xD
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30439

And lastly, Makoto will be playable at SDCC if anyone is going. [I'm jealous]
Okay Makoto fangirl time is done now...

« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2010, 04:11:06 AM »
Yeah.
Makoto gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2W08x86nFA&playnext_from=TL&videos=98AUn3tLmbs

And this. xD
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/30439

And lastly, Makoto will be playable at SDCC if anyone is going. [I'm jealous]
Okay Makoto fangirl time is done now...
Did she just say "W.T.F."?