Author Topic: eosd Extra Marisa B  (Read 8190 times)

meronpan

• だるい
    • WAWAWA忘れ物
eosd Extra Marisa B
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
Hello, first post here and recent touhou fanatic.  A little background if you're interested/want to know where i'm coming from, otherwise skip to paragraph 2 for the question.  Picked up my first touhou games in akiba last month and made it a goal to get to flandre and experience U.N. Owen was her? in game... (got interested in touhou largely due to all the touhou stuff on niconico).  To my dismay I quickly found out that it entailed a 1cc on normal ^^;;  Anyhow I barely managed to do a 1cc with marisa B the other day (had to bump up my starting lives to 5) and finally got access to the extra stage, which leads me to my question:

Will I just be slamming my head into the wall trying to clear extra with marisa B or would it be better to go back and 1cc normal with other characters?  Or even try hard first?  Is marisa B considered good/bad for extra?  I did manage to get to flandre with 0 lives left and 2 bombs but that ended rather abruptly ^^;;;  Her 9 lives seem out of reach for the moment so I'd like to move forward as efficiently as possible.

Drake

Re: eosd Extra Marisa B
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
You can do it with MarisaB. Not as easily as with ReimuB or MarisaA, though. MarisaB's advantage is Master Spark. That's pretty much all she has going. I would suggest trying to 1cc with other characters just to figure which you like the best, but my first completion was with MarisaB. Although, I quickly switched to ReimuB for everything.

Extra requires much more memorization than the main game does, too. Don't expect to get very far very soon.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »
Don't try Hard yet if you don't want to ragequit. The Extra Stage is probably easier, and the stage is about half as long as the full game, so you waste less time on a failed run.

Try to reach Flandre with at least 3 lives to be able to get some practice against her. If you don't want to practice the stage, you can still waste 6 bombs :

- One before Patchouli (there are 2 hard phases at the end, just choose one to dodge. You're right at the start anyway).

- Three bombs against Patchouli. Philosopher's Stone is much harder than the other two spellcards, so you will probably die if you don't have bombs. Silent Selene is not too hard, and Royal Flare is mostly memorization, so you can try to capture one of them.

- Two bombs for the books.

Then figure out Laevatein. It's her easiest spellcard, but can easily kill you if you're too slow.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »
Marisa A is almost definitely the best choice for extra. Marisa B's master spark is a great asset, and indeed was my main for a long time (until I learned the stages to the point where master spark became unnecessary), like all extra bosses save Evil Eye Sigma Flandre is immune to bombs during spell cards. Take away her one selling point and she doesn't have much going for her.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

meronpan

• だるい
    • WAWAWA忘れ物
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:58:56 AM »
thanks all for the feedback!

@drake i was actually using reimu B for my normal 1cc attempts but i've developed some sort of mental block where i keep dying stupidly on meiling or sometimes even on ⑨ orz.  then i'd get frustrated and die some more ^^;;;  hopefully that'll wear off soon and i'll resume playing with her...

@generalguy thanks for the tips!  i'll have to remember not to get too frustrated if i do attempt a bit of hard ^^;  looks like the consensus is to stick with to extra/normal 1cc attempts so i'll probably do that though. 
i already hate philosopher's stone and i've only been through it two or three times.  too many random vectors for my poor brain.

@nintendonut888 i was devastated when i bombed flandre and saw her turn into a bat ^^;  guess it's time to suck it up and develop more skill.  hopefully i can churn out 1cc's for the other characters so i'll have other options...

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 04:04:21 AM »
MarisaA is the best choice for Extra - shotgunning with ReimuB is a bit too tricky in Extra, and MarisaA outdamages her at range.  Of course, for Hard/Lunatic MarisaA is...well, less than ideal.  *INSERT PATCHY RAGEQUIT x14000 HERE*

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Alice Fact

• Kingdom Hearts
  • let's play shintopuncher
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:13:51 PM »
the B types score the best, risk/reward and all that
Regarding score threads: For the time being, I'm not going to be online much; I would suggest that you simply do as you normally do, because I will come back and I will want those threads when I do.

Marukyu_Nineball

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »
My first character I unlocked was on Extra Marisa B, but then I switched to Marisa A. Marisa B's advantage is Master Spark and you can cheese your way through Flan's harder spellcards (like Maze of Love and Starbow Break) I'm still trying to beat Flan now XD

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:39:21 AM »
The stage portion of Extra is going to be more memorization than anything else. Just knowing the right place to be for certain patterns and things is a huge help to surviving.

Flandre herself might be discouraging but my biggest advice is to just keep at it. I 1cced Normal and beat Flandre with ReimuA, so you can totally get through it with MarisaB.

One tip I can give for Flandre is to never, ever, ever die with bombs in stock. Sure, this is pretty much a general rule for all of Touhou play but it becomes crucial when it comes to attempting Extra. Each life and bomb is allowing you a screw up. Don't waste 'em.

Zetzumarshen

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 01:07:10 PM »
the B types score the best, risk/reward and all that

It is actually the least risky character to score at EoSD extra. No need to suicide on silent selene to get some decent score. Just bomb at the books. And her piercing laser is decent against Flandre.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
I say use whoever. I've seen Extra clears using Reimu A, a shot type most here consider a cardinal sin, so if it can be beaten with her it can be beaten with anyone.

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:17:58 PM »
I say use whoever. I've seen Extra clears using Reimu A, a shot type most here consider a cardinal sin, so if it can be beaten with her it can be beaten with anyone.
Especially since her homing shots target Flandre's familiars in cards that use them, (Cranberry Trap, Counter-Clock) taking away her homing and a chunk of her already pathetic damage.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »
Especially since her homing shots target Flandre's familiars in cards that use them, (Cranberry Trap, Counter-Clock) taking away her homing and a chunk of her already pathetic damage.
I said it was possible, I never said it was optimal.

If one wished to use it so that they could focus on dodging rather than staying under her (since Marisa A and Reimu B require being directly under her for best DPS), they're capable of doing so. They have to dodge longer, but since they don't have to worry about staying under her that's one less thing to have to worry about.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:34:37 PM by AlexX »

"What do you mean 'stop repeating everything you say'?"

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:33:05 PM »
Ahh yes, my first 1CC on normal was Marisa B too. Eventually (and I mean before you become a pro, so don' think eventually is too far away), you get to a point where a bomb, no matter how puny it is...Ok, sa doesn't count. Err, no matter how puny it is, pretty much guarantees clearing whatever it is you bombed. At that point MarisaB will seem pretty pointless. You can do extra with MarisaB, and I  honestly don't think it will be THAT much harder (mostly because her shot type isn't at half-power or whatever like ReimuA's or anything), but it is definately harder.

I found I spent more time perfecting the actual stage itself than beating Flandre though, so for awhile, MarisaB might be viable anyway until the stage gets to the point where you can do it without dying once consistently.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:34:24 PM »
EoSD extra is the first one I cleared and it was with MarisaB. I had heard it was easier with either ReimuB or MarisaA but I'm a very stubborn person so I kept going at it with MarisaB over and over for almost a month straight. So I'd say with the shot type you're the most comfortable with and enough practice almost everything is possible
Normal: 2,4-12
Extra: 4-8,10-12
Hard: 4,6-8,10
Lunatic: 8