Author Topic: STG Thread #13  (Read 4355 times)

STG Thread #13
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
Well, the last thread (here) has been dormant for long enough that a new thread is warranted.

To start off with, allow me to show you a rather unusual shmup, from WELL back to about 1987 or 1988: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0XrdZgtp7c

Makyou Senshi in Japan, Gondomania here (with a remixed main theme and re-ordered bosses, at that). It may not be obvious from the above playthrough at first (mostly because the player is very sparing in using any weapons she has that aren't the daggers), but you had two weapons at your disposal. Your airbike guns (unlimited forward range, but always a fixed amount of shots), and your throwing weapons (the daggers are an infinite supply, but have lousy range; everything else is a fixed amount). As to how you get around the fixed amounts...each enemy destroyed drops a coin of varying amounts; I think it's anywhere from 5 to 20, depending on the enemy in question. Meanwhile, new airbikes, throwing weapons, and other power-ups (weapon recharge, speed boosters, armor, 1-ups, invincibility) are laying around on the ground, but must be purchased with the coins you picked up beforehand. It's also a rotary stick game--turn the knob on the joystick to aim your throwing weapons. The throwing weapons, by the way, range from effectively daggers upgraded in range and/or speed (swords, axes, double-bladed axes) to triple shuriken, grenades, firebombs, and shrapnel generators.

Now, if we could just figure out a way to make a Touhou game with this kind of weapon conceit. Well, without the airbikes (I doubt Touhou players would be happy with losing out on forward shots until they can buy a new supply), but still with the limited rotatable weapons...

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: STG Thread #13
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »
I'll allow this, but FYI bumping isn't really frowned upon anymore unless it's like years old and your reply isn't remotely on topic. The main historical reason we had a 30 day no bump policy was due to limitations with the forum software and server hardware we used to have but nowadays it doesn't matter.

Sorry for the offtopic banter please continue!

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 06:46:53 AM »
Hmm, maybe it's time for a change of pace, especially with Touhou 15's announcement. Does anyone have suggestions for accessible yet satisfying shmups I can play to give myself a break from stuff like Hyrule Warriors?

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »
Well it really depends on what you like. Do you like danmaku or more old-school manic shooters? Do you mind paying for it or would you prefer free? How difficult do you like the game to be? What is "satisfying" in your opinion?

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »
I was hoping that my next post in this thread would be of an achievement. I've been playing Mushihimesama Futari Black Label Original; I should have this 1cc by now, but I can't not make a dumb mistake. :(

Tonight I had 2 great runs into the stage 4. One went to shit immediately into the stage. The other entered the boss 2/1 due to having to bomb out of stupid mistakes, but still that was still ok because I had the 20mil extend and the secret extend still. I 1 bomb the 1st phase and die on the 2nd phase; nothing out of the ordinary.

I then die on his easy-as-hell final attack.

With 0 rank.

With 3 bombs.

I wanted to :persona: so badly at that moment.

After that I couldn't get a run out of stage 2 without dieing. I don't know if it's because of the time (currently 1:30am) or if my confidence was just shot but either way I've now decided to just call it a night. It sucks because I'm confident I had the 1cc and I blew it by being cocky. Now this game is going to haunt me for at least 24 more hours. :fail:

EDIT:

There we go. :D

Mushihimesama Futari Black Label, Original Mode, 1cc, Reco.

I probably could've done this months ago when I first got the game, but I kept putting it off for one reason or another. A fun note is that not only is this my 2nd ever arcade 1cc, it is my first 1cc of a shmup ever using a stick (DFK was with a default 360 pad). Honestly I had so much fun with it that I hope to one day save up enough for a universal one so I can also play on PC and PS3 (Ketsui).

The run itself was pretty much as good as I could hope. I no-deathed the first 3 stages, died a stupid death early in stage 4 (right after one of the major bullet clears one apparently managed to sneak into all of the gems without me noticing and sniped me), and proceeded to 3-bomb the forth boss without incident this time. Final stage went nearly flawlessly; nearly ND1B the stage portion until I screwed up a U-stream and rammed a bullet right before Larsa. Still entered her fight 3/3 and knew I had enough bombs to spam her without worry; ended up finishing 1/0.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:20:41 AM by Mimeslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:23:24 AM »
Been playing a lot of Raiden IV lately. I've reached up to 2-2 on the Arcade mode so far on 1 credit. Both times I entered the loop with no spare lives due to screw ups(first was a game over to 2-1 boss). Both were on PS3's World Ranking, so it was default difficulty.

I've also been messing around with Overkill and Additional/360 Modes. Haven't messed with Overkill much because the mission stages are currently killing me, and I don't feel like learning them yet, plus certain destroyed enemies blocking your shots due to the overkill mode stuff where you overkill stuff for medals.

I never took the game very seriously on the 360, so I'm surprised I got the 1-All on Arcade with a few days of serious play. My best for the 360 mode so far is Stage 1-4 up to the part where you can get the hidden 1-up, and this is on Ultimate(hardest difficulty setting) with terrible deaths on stage 3 that should not have happened. I think I should be able to get to 1-5 on both Normal and Ultimate because I haven't practiced much on the 360 mode stages(stage 5 and 6 with Arcade's stage 5 becoming stage 7 and the new stages are difficult) or Overkill's Mission stages(because you can't choose to start at them and have to play the previous stage unless they're available via Score Attack which I didn't check). Not that it's guaranteed anyway because even on Normal, it is so easy to make dumb mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:27:12 AM by Chaotic Phoenixma »

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »
I had no idea Cave released a new SHMUP. Has anyone seen this yet?
I think it translates to 'Gothic is Magical Maiden~Just Make a Contract Already'
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:07:25 PM by Mea »
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »
Wait, CAVE is still aliv-

"For iOS/Android"

Nevermind, I'll be in the corner.

I think I saw the news a while ago, but lost interest when seeing it was for mobiles.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 11:06:44 PM »
If it does well, it could inspire a resurrection. And they seem aware that DDP's 20th anniversary is coming up soon

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 01:37:40 AM »
Didn't a lot of CAVE's arcade developers leave the company already? While I'd love for a resurrection of the company I personally am not betting any money on it.

1CC List (all shmups)

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:47:51 AM »
As long as Ikeda (aka IKD) stays, the soul of Cave would still be there. All the troll logic, nonsense, unpredictability, etc.
He's bit of a meme in the Japanese fan base, and Cave knows this. Hence the random picture of him with wings on that site.

GuardianTempest

• Adorably Awkward Android
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »
Hey guys, what're your thoughts on Change Air Blade? Would it even count as It seems very unique and so far there's virtually nothing like it. And it would make a kick-ass concept for a Touhou fangame, imagine being able to switch between player and stage boss.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »
I tried Truxton II at our local arcade... I wanna die now. I couldn't get past Stage 1 and it gets harder every time you die, what a nightmare. :c

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 02:01:34 AM »
So after all this time, I finally purchased Ikaruga. I knew that the polarity mechanic would take some getting used to, but playing with it myself is really sinking that in at this point. Even Stage 1 on Easy took me a handful of tries to no-miss, and it was far from a good scoring run. Improving at this game is gonna be an experience, that's for sure.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Mеа

• catnapping
STG Weekly
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 07:51:35 AM »
Decided to resurrect this thread and also pick a STG to post some weekly updates on.

Game: Ketsui
Goal: My ultimate goal is 2-all ura loop.

Week 01
[attach=1]

This week's goal: Get to stage 2 boss

Dying at the beginning of stage 2 because I'm being way to aggressive complemented with not being familiar with the game and its waves yet.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 03:10:13 AM »
 :toot: :toot: :toot:  IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!  :toot: :toot: :toot:

Mushihimesama is officially on Steam. For the first week the game and the rare Matsuri (1.5) DLC is 25% off, and you get the Soundtrack for free for buying the game.

That said early reports indicate a lot of bugs, including frame-rate issues (stuck at 55fps) so be warned. I cannot confirm or deny because my laptop is very cheap and seems to randomly choose what games it can run ok and what games crawl to unplayable levels. I'm confident whatever problems there are will be hashed out soon though.

1CC List (all shmups)

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2015, 04:00:01 AM »
:toot: :toot: :toot:  IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!  :toot: :toot: :toot:

Mushihimesama is officially on Steam. For the first week the game and the rare Matsuri (1.5) DLC is 25% off, and you get the Soundtrack for free for buying the game.

That said early reports indicate a lot of bugs, including frame-rate issues (stuck at 55fps) so be warned. I cannot confirm or deny because my laptop is very cheap and seems to randomly choose what games it can run ok and what games crawl to unplayable levels. I'm confident whatever problems there are will be hashed out soon though.

Yeaaa!! Finally, like the one CAVE shmup I can't acquire or play on a NA 360. I bought this on the app store for the iPad, but it just isn't the same. What's the difference in the Matsuri ver?

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
I've been recently getting into eXceed 1 and 2 again. Are there any tips on how not too massively kill a eX2 Exceed Mode run? because as far as I can tell, I feel very set back even in the mode where dying doesn't lower the rank.

What's the difference in the Matsuri ver?

Essentially, the game becomes Futari (pointblank for amber gems to increase base gem value), and you gain 3 new (actually the same as the original ones) shottypes for said mode which give you max power/options, one bomb at the start, and forced autobombing.
Spoiler:
I would (also) be interested in an MMP Matsuri Ver.-style mode, though  :derp:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:25:58 PM by Soichiro W. »
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░