Author Topic: Your top 10 Touhou themes  (Read 21489 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
Your top 10 Touhou themes
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:02:02 PM »
Just what it says. No categories, no gimmicks, ZUN-made themes only. It might be hard to pick just 10, but after all, this year is Touhou's anniversary, and it's a good reason to look back at all the music and choose your favourites from all that time.

I'll start myself, of course. I find many themes to be very good, but select few are always above all others for me. I like them not because they play at a certain point in a game, but as standalone pieces. That's what unites all my top 10 themes.

10. Demystify Feast

This one always surprised even myself. It's a theme that's not connected to a character or a stage, yet I took note of it ever since I heard it. I guess it has just the right mix of power and playfulness. Also, a fun fact. At first I couldn't remember its name for some reason, and used a nickname for it. You ready to hear it?
Spoiler:
Hopeless Masquerade. Yep. TH13.5 wasn't even in development yet.

9. Scarlet Symphony ~ Scarlet Phoneme

I'm not a fan of PC-98 instruments, but this theme manages to use them in a way I really like. The melody itself may seem repetitive, but the theme changes constantly. I can't catch the loop point for it, and that makes it sound like it's endless. Very good move.

8. The Mystery in Your Town

Soft and pleasant, it also has a lot of energy hidden underneath its peacefulness. It's relaxing and inspiring at the same time. Also, it heavily uses one of my most favourite instruments - that sort-of cracking percussion.

7. Romantic Escape Flight

The theme sounds like it has several leading instruments that each play their own, independent thing. And yet together they make a beautiful song as a result. This always gives me an image of a few proud and independent youkai that gathered together and are having fun in the moonlight. Each is doing their own thing, but the result is beautiful as a whole.

6. UFO Romance in the Night Sky

This theme is all about playfulness. That giggle near the start is especially cute. The usage of voice-like instruments is also great. Suffice to say that this theme alone gave me a soft spot for Nue, even though I don't really like tricksters.

5. Desire Drive

This theme sounds very nostalgic. It's famous for how easy it translates to 8-bit sound chips. And 8-bit is my childhood. Don't laugh, but it sounds like something from Battletoads. Being both relaxing and driving also helps.

4. Fall of Fall ~ Autumnal Waterfall

I know MoF stage 3 is usually considered the most beautiful one, but for me it's stage 4. That goes for music themes as well. It's this theme that represents the beauty of autumn for me. It also goes well with images of running water. Not only the obvious waterfalls, but also mountain rivers and even rains. For me, this theme is the music that always plays during autumn rains.

3. The Fantastic Tales from Tono

This theme must be a magic spell. It always cheers me up, no matter what. So much that I can even cry. That's all.

2. Spring Lane ~ Colorful Path

"Live to the full, hold nothing back." This is what this theme means for me. It calm and soft, but also strong and invigorating. Also, PoFV soundtrack is heavy on percussion, and it sounds too strong for some themes. Not this one. Here, it actually sounds like it belongs, giving it the driving force it needs. So that it can use all the power it can to show how beautiful life is.

1. Gensokyo Millennium ~ History of the Moon

If I had to pick a theme that shows all that Touhou is about, it's this one. It has everything - the six-note main theme loop, driving percussions, blaring ZUNpets, even piano improv section. It has parts for everything a Touhou final boss theme can be - high and epic, calm and peaceful, heavy and rocking. There's even a complicated intro. And since it's so complex, I can listen to it endlessly without tiring. Truly, this is the final theme among final themes. Both like and unlike it's name, it's the history of Gensokyo in one song.

Re: Your top 10 Touhou themes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:31:53 PM »
Nice timing for this topic. I've just been compiling a playlist of my favourite Touhou music. It has 40 tracks (though seven are from RSS), but I'll do my best to pick a "top 10" for this topic.

10. Voyage 1969

This is hauntingly beautiful and nostalgic -- particularly the way it has that really beautiful "hook" on the eighth repetition, and when you hear the song again, you are always kept waiting for that moment, and the song keeps teasing that it's going to appear and making you wait for the moment when it actually does. This gives the song a feeling of longing that's very appropriate for the IN characters....

9. The Doll Maker of Bucuresti

This is so creepy! A fantastic change in mood that's really fitting for Alice (and so is her boss theme, but I prefer this of the two).

8. Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room

Another very effective creepy theme.

7. The Fantastic Legend of Touno

Cheery and uplifting -- rather atypical for a Touhou song, but still delightful :)

6. Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World

A lyrical and mournful song that's very fitting for a protector of history -- filled with the sadness of forgetting and loss.

5. Ultimate Truth

When I watched Touhou playthroughs on YouTube, before ever playing the games, this is one theme that stuck in my head and was still there long after I'd forgotten where in the games it plays  :)  It was a wonderful feeling when I discovered it again.

4. The Gensokyo the Buddhas Loved

An awesome and serene theme -- as others have said, fitting to be the main theme of Gensokyo itself. MoF's Stage 2 is rather claustrophobic, and this is the moment where we break through the dark forest and the air is filled with light.

3. Fall of Fall ~ Autumnal Waterfall

This is wonderful: as clear and expansive as water, soothing and refreshing. If the Stage 3 theme represents getting out of the woods into the open air, then this represents the moment when we reach a ridge on the mountain and can look down on the glorious landscape below us.

2. The capital city of flowers in the sky

What is it about Stage 4 themes? :) At the same time as the game gives us insane difficulty, the music gives us a beautiful, calming lyrical feel that carries us along, so that we drift through the gaps in the bullets on a spring breeze....

1. Faith is for the Transient People

Power. Dignity. And a touch of sadness. For me, this is the strongest and most beautiful theme in all of Touhou.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:10:20 PM by Mikuru »

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:43:54 PM »
Ok, this is going to be hard...

10. Faith is for Transient People
I can't tell why, but I enjoy every moment of this song. I didn't liked it at first, but it grew up on me. This is probably Touhoumon - Another World's fault, but whatever. I really,  really like it.

9. Native Faith
Despite being low here, it's probably my favourite ExBoss theme. It's playful, but powerful. Aaaand I like piano in general.

8. The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field
Nope, this list is not going to be MoF only... Anyway, my second favourite Last Boss theme. So powerful! So awesome! I have nothing more to say.

7. Sailor of Time
This song is pretty sad. I don't feel it fits Chiyuri, but it's still a very great song. Ah, describing why I like them is so hard!

6. Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess
It's epic and powerful. It just speaks for itself.

5. Onigashima in the Fairyland ~ Missing Power
At first I was like "why do people like this theme so much?". Then I listened to it. And I fell in love. So epic, yet has some happiness to it. It sure fits Suika well.

4. The Lost Emotion
So dramatic! I loved it immediately when I heared it for first time. Probably the main reason why I love HM so much.

3. Strawberry Crisis!!
My favourite PC-98 song for sure. Very dramatic, very epic. I love it.

2. Mary, the Magician
Whoa, it's pretty weird to hear such sad and creepy song from ZUN, isn't it? I love it though! I love more melancholic songs in general. And that's just best of the bests. My favourite Music CD track.

1. The Shining Needle Castle Sinking in the Air
Ok this song. This song. Best ZUN's theme, hands down. It's sad, melancholic, epic... Listening to this is so extremely cathartic! I just wish this stage could last longer... Ah, it's very painful to hear Reverse Ideology. Just because it stops this song. Ah, I love it so much!

Honorable Mentions

Diao Ye Zong - as opposite to my list choose here we have something happy. It never fails to cheer me up.
X, the Floating Object in the Sky - it's... too... EPIC!
Eternal Night Vignette ~ Imperishable Night - best main menu theme.
Necrofantasia - Yukari-sama~ So much memories of my Touhou beginning.
Tabula Rasa ~ The Empty Girl - Another great PC-98 theme. Fact that all PC-98 themes on my list are from PoDD is purely coincidental...

Here's my list. I wrote it for an hour.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:30:27 PM by LunaWillow »
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28:10 PM »
Mm, I think I did something like this before (maybe a couple times). But it'll be fun to see how tastes have changed.

10) Magical Shop of Raspberry It's an awesome theme and it's too bad that ZUN had to scrap it. I don't think it would have worked well as LLS's extra, but it could have been used instead of Alice Maestra or Alice in Wonderland (but I guess we wouldn't have those songs, then =P).

9) Centennial Festival for Magical Girls Even though I hate the stage, this theme is really excellent. It might have been higher on the list if I didn't assosciate it with Royal Flare.

8 ) Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind Very emotional but kind of overly dramatic. It feels kind of self-righteous, but kind of in a good way. I don't know.

7) Enigmatic Doll ~ God Knows Like Muse, it takes the best parts of several themes and mashes them together (or rather, they take this apart). I feel like most of EoSD was just trying to live up to this theme.

6) Last Remote I don't know what to say about this song. It's melancholy but with a sense of purpose.

5) Strange, Strange Instruments Mystical Purification Rod is the only title theme that I really like, and this takes it and makes it even better. One of the few ending/credit themes that I won't skip over.

4) Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossom of Sumizome ~ Border of Life It's just plain pretty. But at the same time, it's still intense enough to be a final boss theme.

3) Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess Honestly, this and Yuyuko's theme are both too similar and both too epic for me to decide between them. I put this one at 3 only because it goes so well with it's stage and ending themes.

2) Sleeping Terror My biggest problem with this theme is that none of it's remasterings/remixes have been as good as the original. I absolutely love this theme but I wish I could hear it with modern instruments.

1) Lost Emotion Like most of TD's soundtrack, the more I listened to this the better it sounded. Unlike most of TD's soundtrack, I've loved this song since the first time I heard it. Easily my favorite theme.

Honorable mention goes to Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream because, while the original version and unused versions were okay, it almost always sounds better when they are combined (like in Jynx's remix).

So I like final boss and extra stage themes.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Koog

• I live to protect those dear to me,
  • as a good friend would.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 04:08:11 AM »
God! How many of these threads are there??
Anyways, I'll begin!

10. Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble
This song grew a lot when I beat PoFV with Lyrica. I love how every single instrument touched. However, that is not enough to reach a higher position in my top. Anyways, both PCB and PoFV versions are equally good.

9. Satori Maiden ~ 3rd eye
Oh. This b****. XD I love this theme by how it makes you feel, you're fighting a strange opponent. I love the final part of this song, it puts too much tension on the final part of the fight (I always lose on Deep Fog Labyrinth...)

8. Locked Girl ~ Girl's Secret Room
''Let's see how to kill the black and white thing in front of you...'' Her no-spells feel impossible, no matter how much I try. However, I feel good that she actually has more spells and those killer non-spells...

7. Heian Alien
My second waifu is too low on positions right? This theme makes you feel you're fighting the unknown, I love it!! I still haven't reached Shou, but this theme feels so good even without playing the Extra.

6. Illusionary Joururi
This theme is awesome!! I love how it begins. Makes the curvy lasers hurt! I still hate Benben's patterns and spells...

5. Green-Eyed Jealousy
This theme is so sad. So freaking sad!! That I even lose against Parsee because of this theme. I really feel bad for Parsee. I don't know else to say other than it's sad.

4. Beware the Umbrella Left Forever
Surprise!! Kogasa (my main waifu) isn't in first place unfortunately... Kogasa it's too cute to scare someone... This theme is sad and cheerful at the same time... ;_; :D

3. The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Saw
Wow. This song grew on me a lot after practising this stage only to try to capture Sanae 1st and 3rd spell. It's so great! I loved it even more everytime I heard it.

2. Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess
My first final boss beaten. With possibly, the most epic song of all Touhou, but not the one I like the most. Fufufufufu. So much power and... so princess-like...

1. Doll Judgment ~ The Girl who Played with People's Shapes
Who doesn't love Alice? She's one of the best characters of Touhou. This theme is pure tension. I love this theme, and all remakes/remixes I've heard so far. This song became my favorite song after I tried PCB. And god, It's a hell of a Touhou song. Well done ZUN, you created a great song for a great character like Alice.

Honorable Mentions!
Bhava-Agra as Seen Through a Child's Mind
This theme never ceases to amaze me. It's an incredible awesome final spell theme! It's not my favorite of these 3 Honorable Mentions.
A Maiden's Illusionary Funeral ~ Necro-Fantasy
So much epicness in this song. Ran is one my favorite characters. And this song is so fast!
Septette for the Dead Princess
I swear to god. That this theme would have made it to the top 10 only if it wasn't for Ghostly Band. One of the best theme's in the game if it wasn't for Patchy's theme. I never liked this theme until I played the game... And then, loved it when I finally reached her. I'm terribly sorry Remi. But, you couldn't make it this time.
Mwahahahahha!

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
Normally I'd prefer music based on what context it's used in, but considering that I've not heard at least four of these in-game (yet), that's a moot point here. Also I'm probably not that good at writing descriptions.

10. Magus Night
Probably the second most 'threatening' sounding song in my opinion. Or maybe it's because of the fight matchup. Nevertheless, I like the background sound thing. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it fits the song.

9. Cemetery of Onbashira ~ Grave of Being
Easily the best Stage 6 theme. Not sure what else to say, just that it's good, and works.

8. Heian Alien
When I said Magus Night was the second most threatening, that was because this is the most threatening sounding. But despite that, it still sounds great, so, yeah.

7. Bloom Nobly, Ink-black Cherry Blossom ~ Border of Life
I would call this really climatic sounding, but I won't. The reason for that, is below. In any case though, it fits Yuyuko well, and I like it so.

6. Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
It sounds awesome. ...Thats pretty much it.

5. Border of Life
So when I said there was a reason I wasn't calling Bloom Nobly climatic, it was this. Attribute it to PCB being my first normal 1cc if you want, but even the songs below this don't match up to BoL in sheer climatic-ness.

4. Necrofantasia
As the only Phantasm Boss theme, Necrofantasia is awesome. Pure awesome sounding. The only thing which compares in the "oh crap I'm fighting Yukari" factor would be below. Yeah it's not Yukari below but you get the point.

3. Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream
The only PC-98 song on my list and the best one. Grimoire of Alice, Complete Darkness, Infinite Being, etc, they're all good but this is great. Very fitting for Yuuka too in my opinion, I think this is better than Sleeping Terror. And like I said above, this has the "oh crap I'm fighting Yuuka" factor.

2. Native Faith
I think this is the most listened to song on my iTunes, if you're multiplying length times number of times played. It's so fast and upbeat I can't help but love it. It's also a real good fit for Suwako. Of course, it's not my favorite song, because that's...

1. Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke
Choosing between this and Native Faith was tricky. but it's fairly obvious which one I decided on. This song both sounds good, fits the character well, etc. Okay so I'm not that good at writing description, but you get the point. I think.

Honorable Mentions:

Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial
Deaf to all but the Song
X, the Floating Object in the Sky

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
Only ten ? awwwI like all of them but the ones I enjoy listening the most are the calm tracks :

10. The bridge people no longer cross

I like the lonesome sounding tracks, I find these refreshing. There are others but this one is my favorite in that category

9. Legend of Aokigahara

Chilling and relaxing.  went to the forest a few times, and once, I got caught by surprise by the rain : running and slipping on the mud was not cool, but it felt pretty adventurious and savage, this song remind me of that a bit, I like it

8. Fall of fall ~ autumnal waterfall

Clear and relaxing song, that waterfall in the background and these falling maple leaves in the game were pretty cool too! ... I'd put this higher in this list, if it wasn't that... speedy? Migh't've been interesting to see hear how this would sound like if it was slower. Really, it's piano and jazz arranges are gorgeous... I wonder if there are accoustic, folk, or bossa nova arranges of this out there?

7. Retrospective Kyoto

Ohhh, this is calm and yet it somehow has that catchy, dynamic vibe in it. It fits these Tengu folks really well, I like it. I'm a bit neutral about the way it starts, though

6 Phantom ensemble

There's a lot of video game soundtracks out there, most of which either have a "beautiful" song with exaggerated, artsy violins ; chorus in final boss fights ; or only "epic" music; but phantom ensemble got a serene feel that is unusual most of the others just don't have (In my opinion). I like also how the instruments, err, "go wild" in a certain part of this

5. Japanese saga

Why nobody talk about this one ? Anyway, this is pretty cool for a FM synthesis track... actually, this might ve been interesting if it was done like the, well, songs that were not done like that ? I don't dislike the FM synthesis ones, I'm more used to the... screw the rant. This should be Akyuu's theme. There's not a lot o arrange for this, but I think TUMENECO's genmu is one of the best, if not THE best, vocal arranges of this theme, especially... enough rant.

4. Gathering the mysterious from all around Japan

I can sleep with this one. It have that sort of dreamy feel to it. It's nrither too calm nor artsy, it's just about right. Also, ZUN shold use these wind instruments (well, synthesis ones but...) more often

3. The fantastic tales from Tono

Allright. This is the lovechild between calm and cheery. Unexpectedly cheerful. I like this way better than Chen's theme actually. It's piano arranges are prett cool too

2. Reach for the moon

An amazing EX boss theme. It's intense and graceul! It's like you're under a sakura tree watching a volcano erupt I ve never been in those situations though, and that chime(?) was pretty cool too. Unfortunatel, there are not too much arrange that I like as much as the original for this one. My personnal favorite, I guess ?

1. Gensokyo millenium ~ History o the moon

This is impressive, the song change parts (dunno how you call these) as the fight against Eirin goes on, the background changes as much as the song, and the song is long enough... it even goes well with the danmaku, especially these, err, symbol-like ones that appears occasionally around you. Majestic~ wait, that doesn't quite fit it... I never get why Eirin boss fight is so underrated. Maybe it's less memorable as ar as spellcard goes... but otherwise, pretty cool song

Honorable mentions

Septette for the dead princess

Around the time I thought doujin = hentai, when I heard this, I thought it would be a waste to make such a song for some hentai game so I searched a bit, so yeah... I discovered Touhou songs thanks to Mooned insect (wriggle's theme) but this one stirred my interest

Solar sect of mystic wisdom ~ nuclear fusion

How drunk do you have to be to come up with a title like that... anyway, this is a very final-boss-like final boss battle music that is both catchy and intense! It almost seems unfair towards the other subterranean animism tracks. Also, it somehow sound a bit familiar, dunno why...

Eastern judgment in the sixtieth year ~ fate of sixty years

What an unSuwakoly long song title. How in the blazes am I supposed to remember that? I ran into this and Shiki Eiki accidentaly way before actually discovering touhou but I forgot the names... anyway, it have quite a strong sense of finality. Dunno how to call it but that's it. I like it.

"Top [number] themes" for touhou are not unusual (this is my first, weee), maybe a top themes for touhou fangames next would be cool too~  :derp:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 01:26:04 PM by Suspicious person »

FLASH

• Still looking for the Hakurei shrine...
  • So close
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
@ Cyber Angel  if you like Millenium Gensokyo so much, did you knew ZUN totally stole got inspired for the main trumpet line by the Wild Arms opening theme (the intro theme of a Playstation RPG from 1996 set in the Wild West) ?
the Wild Arms one is also pretty dang epic, it's one of my favourite intro movie to any video game, in fact, so have a listen to it if you liked the Touhou version!  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOFibwVMw0

@ TresserT if you want an arrange of Sleeping Terror that stay more faithful to the original but just update the old MIDI sound, have you tried this fan-made one? i like it a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5mYOlXqYc

well, as for my top 10, it changes all the time, really. only the TOP 5 remain pretty stable or so... anyway, right now i guess i'd be something like:

10. Night Fall~Evening Star (Touhou 7.5 ONLY, NOT THE BLASTED ACCORDION VERSION!!  :( )
It sounds very mysterious and devious, and even potentially a little Menacing, but also charming, elegant and playful in a way (That Piano!). It's a very fitting theme to Yukari's personnality: neither friend nor foe; just following her own mysterious agenda, out of comprehension of any one else. Necrofantasia, on the other hand, is a Fitting theme for her Power. i absolutely love them both!
HOWEVER, I HATE SO MUCH that blasted, trollish, stupid accordion version that was in 7.5 as a bonus track, and that they used as Yukari's Theme in 10.5!! why, oh why whould you turn this awesome theme into a complete joke like this, it's horrible... :p

9. Broken Moon (Touhou 7.5 and 10.5)
Sounds very Asian (maybe in a cliche way the composer comment said in the game, i don't really mind tough  :derp: ), it sounds Cute and Powerful at the same time too, Fitting for Suika. i might be the only one in this case, but the part with the Trumpets also alwas evocate to me the feeling of Drunkeness (they just sound kinda clumsy, like someone drunk trying to walk: stumbling left and right while laughing stupidly  :3 ). Overall, i think this one captures the Essence of Touhou in just 1 song pretty well.

8. Love Colored Master Spark (Touhou 8 )
Perfect to get your blood Pumping! It sounds Badass, Confident, Boastful and Hyperactive, a perfect theme for Marisa; fighting her to this music is the HYPEST SH*T !!  :D

7. The Gensokyo the Buddhas Loved (Touhou 10)
Again, a classic amongst touhou Fans for a good reason; it sounds Powerful, Exiting but also Soothing and Delicate, Clear and Very Wide. It sounds just like what you'd hear if you accidentally stumbled into Gensokyo during a hike in the mountains; suddenly, glorious legendary creatures flying everywhere, and myth and legends have become real!  Overall it's one of the Themes that captures the Best the Essence of Gensokyo and Touhou in a single song i think...

6. Scarlet Weather Rhapsody main theme ( Title and Credits)
I put those 2 together, because they are essentially just 2 versions of the same melody and are from the same game. It just sounds so Awesome, Grand and Epic and i love every bit of it, not much more to say :p

5. Walking the Streets of a Former Hell (Touhou 11)
A Seriously Underrated one, to me it's easily one of the best in all Touhou. A Wonderful and magical melody, a very strong Asiatic feeling, a touch of Mystery... it sounds Joyful but at the same time Kinda Melancholic... this is also one of those that capture well the essence of Touhou in 1 song i think.

4. Bloom Nobly, ink-black Cherry Blossoms (Touhou 7)
One of the great classics of touhou music for a good reason. it sounds incredibly Vibrant, Clear, Powerful and Emotionnal, but also delicate in a way. almost like someone crying... fitting for a Ghost who sacrificed herself so that others may live out of her sorrow to see everyone around her die...

3. Lullaby of a Deserted Hell (Touhou 11)
Now this one is so hard to explain for me, i just love it but can't really tell why; listening to it makes me feel a big ball in my stomach... it sounds so Lonely, Sad, and Hopeless, and a bit Opressing, but also recomforting at the same time almost in a maternal way, i guess that's why he named it a Lullaby, now i kinda get why...

2. Because Princess Inada is scolding me (Touhou 10)
Probably the most Underrated Touhou theme in my opinion, it just sounds so Emotionnal and Vibrant, a bit like Yuyuko's Theme; but more wide , i love it so much! it makes me think of a wide landscape of rice fields in the mountains in a late summer day, with tall grass dancing in the wind... Heh, such a shame it's so short because it's only a Stage 1 Boss theme...

1. Necrofantasia (both original and Magical Astronomy remix)
just because it's so unique. even for ZUN music that is. Even in other Touhou music i've not found anything that evocates feeling quite like this... i wanna know what the hell was going on in his head when he came up with something like this! it's so overwhelming.  it starts pretty intense and then keeps raising more and more, without any slowdown or pause; leaving you completely astonished and helpless like a little child. i think it is the perfect theme for Yukari: you are never sure if it's charming or menacing, playful or agressive, pretty or ominous.

Honorable Mentions:
Almost too many to list D: but particularily:
-Hellfire Mantle
-Nuclear Fusion (Utsuho Theme)
-Last Remote
-Colorful Path
-Phantom ensemble
-Wonderful Legend of Tono
-Little Princess (Sukuna theme)
-Illusionnary Joururi
-Shanghai Alice in Meiji 17
-Luna Dial
-True Administrator
-Venerable Battlefield (Kanako Theme)
-Native Faith
-Millenium Gensokyo
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:40:55 PM by FLASH »

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
"Top [number] themes" for touhou are not unusual (this is my first, weee), maybe a top themes for touhou fangames next would be cool too~  :derp:

I made one back in December but only 2 people responded. Lately I've been getting the impression that not as many people are into fan-games like that.

@ TresserT if you want an arrange of Sleeping Terror that stay more faithful to the original but just update the old MIDI sound, have you tried this fan-made one? i like it a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5mYOlXqYc
It's not so much that I can't find themes that are faithful to the original, it's more that none of them sound as good as the original. Though admittedly, that's probably the best one I've heard so far.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 03:36:46 PM »
9. Broken Moon (Touhou 7.5 and 10.5)

6. Scarlet Weather Rhapsody main theme ( Title and Credits)

Neither of these are by ZUN.

FLASH

• So close
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 05:25:53 PM »
Neither of these are by ZUN.
i know, but they're still part of official Touhou games, aren't they?
the thread didn't said anywhere "ZUN" or "DANMAKU GAME" Music only   :3

I made one back in December but only 2 people responded. Lately I've been getting the impression that not as many people are into fan-games like that.
Actually, i've just had an idea for a fun and original music thread: spot which Touhou song totally sounds like other songs from anywhere else! i might do it in a week or so (to avoid flooding the forums with new music threads  :derp: )
I mean, just like the WILD ARMS similarity with Eirin's Theme i quoted before, i can think of plenty others...
And there ARE cases where the level of similarity is pretty shocking if you ask me...
want a short preview?

*Cough* Lullaby of Deserted Hell... *Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7bUhJlAek

*Cough* Reisen Theme from IN... *Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOpQoAqTTpc

*Cough* Himorogi, Burn in Violet (Touhou 4 Stage 4 Theme)... *Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMd6V1IOJ5k
(tough admittedly that one may have been an intentionnal Hommage)

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »

It says so in the OP.

Actually, i've just had an idea for a fun and original music thread: spot which Touhou song totally sounds like other songs from anywhere else! i might do it in a week or so (to avoid flooding the forums with new music threads  :derp: )

That has been done many times in the past and it's always the same thing, people nitpicking on the same few songs and *cough*ing violently at ZUN using common riffs and note progressions as if no other modern musician did the same thing. Boring.

FLASH

• So close
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 10:21:02 PM »
It says so in the OP.
huh, true, i'm actually stupid  ::) Well, replace Broken Moon and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody Theme by any of the Themes i gave in Special mentions i guess, in any order.  :V

That has been done many times in the past and it's always the same thing, people nitpicking on the same few songs and *cough*ing violently at ZUN using common riffs and note progressions as if no other modern musician did the same thing. Boring.
awww, you're just mean, now  :( . I completely agree that 99% of all these are coincidence, and even if they weren't i don't care, inspiration always come frome somewhere... i wasn't trying to cryticize ZUN in any way or insinuate anything...

ZUN did said himself that he played lots of games when he was young (pretty obvious) and that his first aspiration (before he became a gave Dev at university with Amusement Makers) was to be a Game Music Composer... (forgot which interview sorry)
And he also said at AWA 2013 that video game music was amongst his first inspirations for composing his music.

it's just that because i love Music it's always fun to me to try and find similarities, see what song could have inspired him or have been inspired by him... in pretty much all the cases it's just typically a 5-10 second fragment of the song that sound similar to the other song anyway...
but heh, whatever i guess if it's already been done :p

with that said tough, i still think the Final Fantasy 6 one was an intentionnal Hommage, and that the "O Son do ar" song is the actual inspiration for Deserted Hell lullaby; these 2 are just too similar to be coincidence.
(plus in the Swedish Magazine interview, ZUN  said Jazz and "Musics of the World" are the 2 kinds of music he listens the most. given that it's traditionnal Celtic music, it definitely falls in the later Category, and was relased in 1988, Way before touhou 11).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:24:56 PM by FLASH »

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 04:19:59 PM »
I mean, just like the WILD ARMS similarity with Eirin's Theme i quoted before, i can think of plenty others...
And there ARE cases where the level of similarity is pretty shocking if you ask me...
want a short preview?

*Cough* Lullaby of Deserted Hell... *Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7bUhJlAek

*Cough* Reisen Theme from IN... *Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOpQoAqTTpc

*Cough* Himorogi, Burn in Violet (Touhou 4 Stage 4 Theme)... *Cough* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMd6V1IOJ5k
(tough admittedly that one may have been an intentionnal Hommage)

Pretty please do it if you have the time, sound like an AWESOME idea for a thread!

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 04:20:53 PM »
10. Tengu is Watching ~ Black Eyes (Touhou 9.5)
What better way to start the list than with an underrated song? I'd say this is my favorite theme linked to Aya in general, the chorus got easily stuck in my head the first time I heard it and I had no complains listening to it whilst dying over and over again in StB.

9. Heartfelt Fancy (Touhou 11)
One of the few stage themes I prefer over their respective boss theme, I think this song suited Satori more than 3rd eye did. It has a brilliantly calm yet somber and lonely feeling to it, maintaining those emotion all throughout the track without dipping into sounding like a sad song either.

8. Onigashima in Fairyland ~ Missing Power (Touhou 7.5)
At first I really didn't like this one as much as ZUN's other boss themes, but the more I listened to it the more it grew on me and now it's one of my favorites. The build up of the song is what makes it sound so good, and it feels almost chilling when it hits the chorus, one of the best possible arranges for a fighting game I've heard.

7. Romantic Children (Touhou 5)
If there's one word I had to use to describe this song, I'd use 'Magical'. It really feels like you're flying through a storybook fantasy world, it's calming, upbeat and uplifting. All in all my favorite stage 3 theme as well.

6. End of Daylight (Touhou 2)
Probably the most underrated song on my list, but I think it deserves MUCH more love. If I had to make a comparison, I'd say this song is the Gensokyo the Gods Loved of the PC-98 era. It sounds so beautiful and ambient, as if you're going for a flight through the world of Gensokyo at night, it's not upbeat or tense but completely melodic.

5. Kobito of the Shining Needle (Touhou 14)
The moment this song plays, you know you're up for a battle of a life time. I always found it funny that a song with such a booming, grand and powerful presence belongs to the smallest stage 6 boss in the series, but even so it's still godly. The keyboard melody and even the ZUNpets do a fantastic job at making the song sound godly, but most of all climatic.
I'd have to say out of all the songs I've heard from him this one sounds like the most climatic boss fight song he's made!

4. Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple (Touhou 7)
Favorite stage theme. Hands. Down. I honestly don't know exactly why I love this song so much but god, it sounds amazing. There's a very large majestic feeling in it, as well as it being calming yet upbeat. The chorus sounds beautiful but fitting for a battle as well, and the usage of instruments gives it a very nice eastern feel that not many over Touhou songs accomplish in the way Ancient Temple does.

3. Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream (Unused Version, Touhou 4)
My absolute favorite PC-98 theme, I however favored the unused version over the original because of the new chorus. The song is just so brilliantly composed, it starts off foreboding, setting the stage for the battle to come, building up on and on until it hits the chorus. The chorus. From then onwards the fight takes on a completely new feeling, the theme alone sounds absurdly powerful yet completely epic, something I honestly never thought I'd hear in a PC-98 track. In short, Inanimate Dream's the Necrofantasia of the PC-98 era in my view.

2. Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial (Touhou 6)
Now this, one of the best songs ZUN's ever composed in my opinion. There's no other song in the series I'd say that fits the constantly fast-paced badass vibe that Luna Dial has as a boss theme, it's honestly one of the first songs that made me want to beat a Touhou game completely just so I could her how amazing it would sound in it's actual respective boss battle. Needless to say it didn't disappoint, having a completely unique sound to it in the whole of EoSD's soundtrack as well as the best, most catchiest chorus I've heard in any Touhou song.

1. Necrofantasia (Touhou 7)
ZUN's magnum opus, there's honestly no other Touhou song that's come close to the level of how grand Necrofantasia's composition was. Whilst I love pretty much all of ZUN's works, this song is my absolute favorite. It's hard to find arranges of it as well that I enjoy more than the original, it just gives a superbly executed fantasy feeling for one of the most enigmatic characters in the series. The variety in the usage of instruments and pace make the song go from a 'boss theme' into one of the defining themes of the world ZUN created. All in all my favorite Touhou theme in general~
(whatcanIsayIliketalkingaboutmusic)

Marron

• Ordinary crow
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »
10 Border of Life

Really hesitated with Now Until the Moment you Die. But Border of Life stays unbeatable in my heart. It's really beautiful, theatrical in the stage itself. You can't describe it with words. Intense.

9 Tomboyish girl in LoveA God that loves people ~ Romantic Fall

This theme is just so beautiful, I think I should have placed it 8 or 7. It's really touching and strong at the same time. Also Shizuha Aki is really pretty, I must say. I like touhou theme that have a glimpse of light/joyfull thing in it.

8 Magic shop of raspberry

I never understood why it's been unused. It have a kind of "explorer" thing in it, and is also fast and forward. It's a strong theme actually.

7 Bad Apple

Best stage 3 athmosphere IMO, it have this serious thing and the stage itself is kind of dark. You enter a dry zone and then it's like the universe, there is nothing but black background with some kind of stars and tiles.

6 The Bridge that People no Longer Cross

I often listened to this theme when I didn't felt so good. This have a negative athmosphere, you feel it the first seconds of the song. It is lonely, full of regret and have an angry part. But the end make you feel a glimpse of hope.

5 Dreamy Pilot

I like this one because it's fast and emotional at the same time. It feels like I'm exploring some amazing place, I don't really know. Also, because it's kind of Rin Satsuki's theme(video of JynX), for me it have kind of a sad feeling since Rin Satsuki is a "bin" character".

4 Cute Devil ~ Innocence

This theme. The intro is just the most "okay, here's the catastrophe" of all touhou. The song stays quite like that.

3 Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient temple

I think it have a melancholic athmosphere. The athmosphere is just great for a stage full of past memories, ghosts and all you know...

2 Poison Body ~ Forsaken Doll

It really have this poisonous thing in it, and the song is mysterious and have this "dangerous" feel.

1 Vanishing dream ~ Lost Dream

It's the most heartbreaking and strong theme I have heard. Zun's masterpiece IMO.

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 12:59:14 AM »
10. Plastic Mind
Kind of feels like a fusion between Faint Dream and Doll Judgment. A theme which really makes you wonder who Alice really is, atleast if the theme is meant to represent Alice personality in some way.

9. Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea
Somehow, this theme became one of my favorite stage themes and one of the most memorable themes overall to me. It feels strangely Gensokyo-ish and nostalgic, more so to me than the gensokyo the gods loved.
Zun's later remake in changeability of strange dream certainly did well too in that area.

8. Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye
Among all the themes from SA, the only ones I can never truly seem to forget are the haunting melodies of the Koishi sisters. Personally, Satori's theme wins because of its weirdly charming melody and intensity. In contrast to Hartmann's Youkai Girl, it definitely has more feelings to it, and the timing of its melody changes are perfect.

7. Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain
A pretty charming, nostalgic (heh) and at the same time, intense theme.

6. Lovely Mound of Cherry Blossoms ~ Flower of Japan
A really beautiful theme, which sadly hasn't appeared in any touhou game. Also, Yuuka's only calm theme.

5. Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator
Slightly remniscent of strawberry crisis in how the melody goes, but definitely original. A beautiful and catchy theme nonetheless.

4. Septette for the Dead Princess
Still one of my top 5 themes, ever since I first heard it. It's a really great melody which never gets annoying and works with all types of instruments. Fits both for Remilia herself and the intimidating battle.

3. Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
One of the most emotional and beautiful touhou themes, in my opinion. Very unique compared to the other final boss themes in the series, but at the same time, amazing to listen to.

2. Necrofantasia (MA)
I'd point solely to the Magical Astronomy version of Necrofantasia here since I always thought it was superior to the original. It's like a remake of the original, but with softer tunes and a touch of Evening Star, which makes it just perfect. To top it all off, the new intro and the added piano part. This is to me, the most Yukari-ish theme there is.

1. Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly (DiPP)
Maybe a strange pick since it barely appears in the touhou series, but it's still one of my favorite themes that zun has ever composed.

I kind of dislike the version from Hisoutensoku for its strange pacing, but even then I love it since it retains the lovely melody of the original in a touhou game. I still feel that the original from Seihou and the remake in DiPP are better though. It really feels like that's how it's supposed to be.

Kind of hard for me to describe why I love this particular theme so much. It certainly has a mix of elegance and power, fitting to the Reimu I know and love. Maybe I'm biased in some way.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 01:35:37 PM by Darkness1 »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 09:09:17 PM »
This is hard.

And yes I don't rate Necrofantasia. Bite me. I prefer Necro-Fantasy to Necrofantasia. And even that doesn't even make my Honorable Mentions. I personally think Necrofantasia is the most over-rated track in Touhou. It's not a bad track but it's nowhere near as good as a lot of people claim it to be. It's moderately above average IMO. Just felt like getting that off my chest.

10: Plastic Mind [Mystic Square Stage 3 Boss]

I consider this Alice's greatest theme of her collection. Plastic Mind is her first and best in my opinion. It had sections which covey an almost regal feeling, fitting Alice's general demeanor. However, it also feels sinister [Considering what Alice is... and some of her clear complexes]. I can imagine Alice using her dolls to attack to this theme a lot more than I can imagine her using them to others. I dunno, it resonates with my headcanon Alice. Everyone's headcanon Alice is different. Also I in general like the fast-pace of this theme.

9: The Tiger Patterned Vaisravana  [Stage 5 Boss - UFO]

You might notice something with a lot of the themes I like. They are frantic; but also have a regal quality to them. These two combine really, really well in TTPV; and it's about the only thing that makes the Shou fight tolerable. You're facing a divine avatar of a war god with a sacred treasure which can bend light into curvy lasers of doom.

8: Mary, the Magician [Ghostly Field Club]

The unofficial theme of one of the more enigmatic members of the Touhou cast... who hasn't even been in a game. But it's a ZUN-composed theme so it fits onto the list. Mary the Magician is completely unlike any other theme in the series. It almost seems otherworldly compared to the other themes. Considering Mary is from the outside world... this fits.

7: Old Yuanxian [Stage 4 Boss - Ten Desires]

Frantic Elegance. This is the pinnacle of it. The fact that it fits really well with the chaotic nature of this unique fight helps too.

6: Hellfire Mantle [SA Stage 6]

I think this is the best track in SA, Not Last Remote. Not Nuclear Fusion. Hellfire Mantle is the best theme in SA.

It's climatic. It's dramatic. It completely fits the setting that you are more or less in hell; about to face what is basically a nuclear god. It's probobly one of the most serious themes in all of Touhou; and it shows. Especially when you bear in mind how nuts with her newfound power Okku is at this point. The stakes are high.

5: Reverse Ideology [DDC Stage 5 Boss]

This theme is pretty simple; yet catchy. I don't even understand why but I love it.

4: Staking Your Life on a Prank  [Great Fairy Wars Stage 1/2 Boss]

I like this theme because it really fits the scenario. It's a battle between fairies; which fir the playful mood. However, things are pretty darn serious between them, and the fights, because it's GFW; are intense. The music strikes a chord between the two; it feels both intense yet childish at the same time.

3: Magical Storm [Double Dealing Character Stage 4]

My god this theme. The Tsukumo sisters themselves may be forgettable knock-offs of the Primsrivers, but their stage theme is not. Honestly; this is the most fitting 'storm' theme I've heard in any media, and it's what comes to mind as the wind and rain lash at my windows. As they often on in Britland.

Also another completely relevant thing is how PERFECTLY everything in this stage synchs with the music. I consider DDC Stage 4 as the single best stage in Touhou. And how often do people love a Stage 4?

2: Strawberry Crisis [Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream - Final]

Do I even need to explain Strawberry Crisis? It is simply the pinnacle of PC-98 tracks.

1: Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke [IN Extra Boss]

The sole representative of games in the Early Windows Era on my list is number 1. I... don't know what to say about how good this is. How it fits Mokou to a T. How it fits the fight. How it just sounds wonderful. How the intensity of the song ramps up as the fight goes on. The intro.

But there is an even more important reason why Reach of the Moon has always been, and will probobly always be my #1.

It's how I discovered Touhou. I loved this song even before I knew what Touhou was.

And that will always make it hold a special place for me.

===

Honorable Mentions [I could have added a lot more because frankly almost every track deserves to be here. But I limited myself.]
Youkai Back Shrine Road  [Ten Desires: Extra]
Sleeping Terror
Reverse Ideology
Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat
Spirit Battle - Perdition Crisis
Faith is for the Transient People
Dark Side of Fate
Hiroari Shoots a Strange Bird ~ Till When?
Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room
AN ORDEAL FROM GOD [Yes; it's allcaps. And yes; this is a Touhou Doujin game [Magus in Mystic Geometries], but ZUN himself made this track. So it counts.]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:21:43 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »
I consider DDC Stage 4 as the single best stage in Touhou. And how often do people love a Stage 4?
MoF Stage 4 is my favourite Touhou stage  :D

Marron

• Ordinary crow
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »
LLS stage 4 is probably my favorite when playing the Dreamy Pilot track, I think. I don't really know, Stage 4 of MS is pretty good too....and have really one of the best athmosphere for a stage 4. It's full of reference, angered Louise, Yuki and Mai themselves... and of course, the theme that play while exploring this area !

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
LLS stage 4 is probably my favorite when playing the Dreamy Pilot track, I think. I don't really know, Stage 4 of MS is pretty good too....and have really one of the best athmosphere for a stage 4. It's full of reference, angered Louise, Yuki and Mai themselves... and of course, the theme that play while exploring this area !

Alice Maestra was brilliant in LLS, Maple Wise goes as an honorable mention for me because it's such a badass stage 4 theme.

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 11:26:37 PM »
It's probably implied, but I'm gonna impose a hard 'one per game' rule upon myself. If I didn't, nine entries on this list would be from MoF.  :D

10: The Capital City of Flowers in the Sky
I honestly find this song a nice relaxing piece, and would place it higher if not for the length of it's stage.

9: Magus Night
insert obligatory nineball joke here

Think on this for a bit - you're seeing things from the point of view of an ineffectual braggart. That just so happens to be facing one of the main people responsible for resolving nearly every incident in the series. Granted, Marisa's holding back, and Cirno manages to scrape out a win, but it still took the intrepid ice fairy everything she had to earn that victory. I would not want to be in Cirno's position.

Also, it incorporates an electric guitar into the melody, so that's awesome.

8: Strawberry Crisis!!!
This song never fails to get me pumped. You've won the tournament, beaten Chiyuri (possibly with her own folding chair,) and you're up against the mastermind. There's no way you can lose!

And then you get wrecked by the enemy's AI. :derp:

7: Wonderful Heaven
I may not be entirely fond of Tenshi, but her theme is amazing. The bells make you feel like you're in heaven, while the rest of the instrumentation tells you that there's trouble in paradise. I feel that it's a great contrast.

6: Old Yuanxian
Another fast paced and chaotic theme for the list. It's really fun to listen to, and a great companion piece for the actual fight with SEGA - I mean, Seiga.

5: Rural City Makai Esoteria
This theme is my second favorite stage 5 theme in the series. The melody feels like something that would go along with the hustle and bustle of a city of demons. A slower paced theme, but no less chaotic.

4: Gensokyo Millennium ~ History of the Moon
This theme has had a lot of representation on this list, and for good reason. It's an overall commanding theme, and a good fit for the Brain of the Moon.

Second favorite final boss theme.

3: Lullaby of a Deserted Hell
It's a somber theme, one you'd expect to play in a deserted location. It's also a beautiful song, as befitting a lullaby - so much so, that I'd hum this song to put a young child to sleep.

Favorite Stage 5 theme.

2: Native Faith
I said above that if I didn't impose a hard rule on myself, this list would be composed mostly of tracks from MoF. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that a song from that particular game would get this high on the list.

Honestly, I like the cheerful exuberance this song imparts. The chaotic melody just helps to lift your spirits up, whether they need it or not. This one's a shoe-in for favorite extra boss theme.

1: The Lost Emotion
This is an emotional theme. I don't even know where to go from there - It's a song that defies description. And that's why I love it.

EDIT: Fixed my list! Had Two MoF themes on it, even with the one per game rule.

...And only the mods will notice this edit when I make it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:48:35 AM by ZephyrValgale »

Ri-ze

• Lunatic Rabbit
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »
It took a while, but I managed to narrow it down to ten!

10. Humans and Youkai Traversing the Canal (DDC)
This song has the feeling of moving forward without a destination in mind to me.  Sure, it's a little dramatic, but that touch of tragedy in the song really gets the feeling of failing after trying so hard at something and feeling dejected afterwards. Poor Sekibanki...

9. A Flower-Studded Sake Dish on Mt. Ooe (SA)
 I remember the first time playing SA and thinking that the stage 3 theme would be one of the best songs... until I heard this one. It's loud and boisterous, like an oni, and the blaring trumpets really emphasize this. The trumpets in this song are the best part!

8. Power of Darkness (SoEW)
A really cool song for a really cool character. This song may be very short, but I really like it. It's kind of difficult to explain why...

7. Visionary Game ~ Dream War (PoDD)

The longest song in the entire series, and also one of the best. Gets really catchy as it builds up to the chorus.

6. The Maid and the Pocket Watch of Blood (EoSD)
A mysterious song that almost feels like someone's playing with time... The chorus is the best part, it's like climbing up an endless staircase.

5. Desire Drive (TD)
A very pleasant theme that was a very nice change of pace after the more slower and somber pieces before. Captures the feeling of zooming forward quite well.

4. Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon (PoFV)
A serious and complicated theme that's epic. I can't really tell too much of a difference between the IN and PoFV versions, but the PoFV one sounds a bit more upbeat , so I like it a little better.

3. Oriental Dark Flight (PoFV)
One of the most underrated songs in Touhou and Marisa's best theme IMO. The piano used in this song sounds great, and the theme brings the feeling of warm nostalgia. This song definitely illustrates her witch motif, and makes me imagine her running a magic-shop. If I had to use one word to describe it, it'd be antique.

2. Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble (PoFV)
I absolutely love this song. The PoFV one sounds much better than the PCB version, which makes this piece really shine. Everything just blends together so nicely and I love the part where the instruments suddenly become really energetic.

1. Alice Maestra (LLS)
My absolute favorite song of all time. It feels western, mysterious, elegant all at the same time. It's just a wonderful piece. The PC-98 games seemed to have a bit more western elements to them, and Alice Maestra was the culmination of them. Since it was one of ZUN's favorites, I really do hope to see this song appear again in a future game...

Honorable Mentions

Deaf to all but the Song ~ Flower Mix
Mermaid from the Uncharted Land
Reincarnation
Witching Dream
Welcome to Youkai Temple

Reisen: Right, after I win I take your info.

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 01:49:22 AM »
Sorry if the 14 days thing counts as a bump but given it's in the first page still I doubt it counts :V

Options, options...

10) A Flower Studded Sake Dish on Mount Ooe
Such a joyous and energetic theme.

9) True Administrator:
Confidence incarnate. I can't explain why I like this theme so much, I just do.

8 ) Forbidden Magic
Yuki and Mai, my favorite PC-98 characters. I just really like the beat in this song and it's unique.

7) Sailor of Time (Chiyuri's theme)
Such a sad song. Indeed it doesn't really fit Chiyuri but it's great nonetheless.

6) Strawberry Crisis!!!
It's just a badass song. Do I need any more reason?

5) The Shining Needle Castle Sinking in the air
What a stage theme, indeed. Fits the stage perfectly, incredibly calm yet energetic at the same time. A masterpiece.

4) Swordsman of a Distant Star
A strange theme but nonetheless powerful, yet radiates it's own sort of maturity.

3) Bloom Nobly, Ink-black Cherry Blossom ~ Border of Life
How graceful! yet at the same time, intense.

2) Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
I remember the first time I fought Byakuren. I lost at her last spell, but this song stuck with me.

1) Septette for the Dead Princess
And so we get here. Remilia's theme, ZUN's true masterpiece. Everything in this song is just perfect, in and outside of actually fighting Remilia.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »
Choosing my top 10 themes wasn't easy at all, but here they are:

10. Illusionary Night ~ Ghostly Eyes
Even though it's only IN's Stage 1 preboss theme, it always gives me chills and really creates a cold night atmosphere.
9. Beloved Tomboyish Daughter
Maybe I did put this theme at this position intentionally. But while it's musically quite simple, it's very nostalgic to me. Why? It's the first Touhou song I knew about, all because of that Kasane Territory (i was about nine or ten when I became familiar with the character of Cirno). So, even if it is overrated, it has a special place in my heart.
8. U.N. Owen Was Her
I admit, Flan's theme is, like Cirno's, overrated, but it had to be on my list.  I just love how chaotic and daunting it sounds. Parts of it remind me of the band Madness for some reason, but I can't explain why.
7. Septette for the Dead Princess
Everything about this piece just screams 'Remilia': calm and collected, elegant, noble, and proud to be powerful. I like to think that the title was made up by Remilia herself on the spot, in an attempt to sound all frightening and aristocratic, even though it's not a septette, nobody's dead (unless Gensokyo's vampires are undead), and nobody's a princess.
6. Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played with People's Shapes
I really like the melody of this one. I don't know why, but I think this theme is creepy but pretty.
5. Native Faith
Cheerful and chirpy, but also pretty hectic. Perfect for an extra boss.
4. Candid Friend
I love how this theme is so catchy and has elements of a folk song, but at the same time, it's a little bit...lonely.
3. Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial
I prefer this theme to Flowering Night, and I think this suits Sakuya's character better. While the structure and melody is rock-influenced, the instrumentation of it reminds me of an 80s~90s new wave song, and these elements go together well.
2. Border of Life
I love that main hook, and to me it sums up Yuyuko when she was a human. It also has a very epic, 'final boss' sound to it, much stronger to me than all the other final boss themes.
1. Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke
This is my number one. It really wraps up IN beautifully. I love everything about it, from the melancholic recurring piano hook to the frantic spurts of musical energy in between. It suits Mokou's bitter backstory, and the way she constantly keeps on fighting, really, really well.

Honourable Mentions:
  • Strawberry Crisis!!
  • Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room
  • Shanghai Alice of Meiji 17
  • Futatsuiwa from Sado
  • Necrofantasia
  • Green-Eyed Jealousy
  • Sleeping Terror
  • Greenwich in the Sky
  • Tabula Rasa ~ The Empty Girl
  • Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess
  • Strange Oriental Discourse