Author Topic: Touhou Diablo Treasure Hunter G  (Read 37214 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou Diablo Treasure Hunter G
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
If by "strongest" you mean "highest damage output", then here's what I've found about modifier distributions.

Generally speaking, the lesser the equipment type for a particular area/boss (i.e. Diamond being lesser than Blood Red), and the later in the game said area/boss is, the better the modifiers you'll find. Only one modifier of a specific type will appear at any given time, so the most a stat can be increased by is x10 (a x2.5 plus a x4). However, I've yet to see any equipment of a higher grade than Mithril have such a combination, instead only reaching x8 at most (either for one stat or split across two, such as a Sharp Martial Orichalcum Ring giving x4 to Attack and x2 to Life). I'm also under the impression that modifiers for Orichalcum equipment tend to favor raising Life over Attack, though don't quote me on that just yet.

You can use the above logic to calculate what the "strongest" weapons of each type would be, but of course there are other factors at play that would make a weapon "better" than one with a higher damage output. All of the unique weapons have a x4 to Life modifier built in, for instance. Because
Spoiler:
the Mini-Hakkero
has four strikes instead of three, the worst it can possibly do in overall damage output is tie with, say, a
Spoiler:
Divine Agressive Orichalcum Hakkero
. Some variations of Twin Swords have a stronger secondary attack for currently unknown reasons, but Twin Swords in general suffer from a lack of range that makes them relatively nonviable against enemies with "shield" attacks, which you will see a lot of in the second half of the game.
Spoiler:
Youmu's swords
don't have that range problem, and its "finisher" provides safe, reliable healing to boot.
Spoiler:
Shanghai
is also the best doll, at least for the player, because its shot is much narrower and its secondary attack automatically locks on to any onscreen enemies. I say "for the player" here since the AI partner doesn't seem to have a problem aiming the secondary attack for normal versions. :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
Divine Fierce Orichalcum Ring +
Spoiler:
Mini Hakkero
gives 19440 attack. The best part about the
Spoiler:
Mini Hakkero
is that you can turn while
Spoiler:
using Masterspark
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
You found an Orichalcum Ring with those modifiers? On what floor?

And that's another interesting find about the
Spoiler:
Mini-Hakkero
. I usually give it to the AI partner though, who never uses it, but at least it sounds like an advantage on par with how
Spoiler:
Shanghai
makes hitting targets easier.

EDIT: I do stand corrected on the "only one specific kind of modifier per item" thing. I saw both the Blessed and Heavenly modifiers on a Diamond Twin Sword for a total bonus of x16 to Life. I still doubt that such combinations exist for the highest grades, but I suppose if you're good enough to not get hit all that often you can afford to equip a lesser Ring with x10 or more to Attack to give yourself much more strength.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:33:24 PM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 12:29:06 AM »
You found an Orichalcum Ring with those modifiers? On what floor?

Must have been somewhere in the mid-late levels on a new game+ Don't remember exactly. Having a lower level ring with massive damage bonus sounds like a good idea, I used to sell obviously lower grade unidentified items before, but I'll see if i can find one of those now.

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 03:50:31 AM »
Hmm, is it just impossible to melee anything on the later floors, or am I just bad at this?

Specifically,
Spoiler:
fairies with drills
.  I've tried using pretty much every weapon type, and the
Spoiler:
hakkero
+ geometry abuse seems to be the only way to not die horribly.  I'm used to these touhou related games being hard, but making all but one type of weapon more or less obsolete is pretty crazy.  My gear should be up to date for those floors, since I'm constantly getting treasure chests containing unidentified weapons and rings constantly.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 04:28:13 AM »
From what I've seen all the NG+ does is make enemies everywhere comparable to late-game enemies in the original run-through, including the items they drop. I'm still searching to see if I can't find that Orichalcum Ring of yours, but no such luck yet. Anyone else find something like that?

I also have a math problem I'm trying to solve, but my mind isn't cooperating right now so a little help would be appreciated. :V You know how having lots and lots of Super Potions can make you effectively invincible when your HP is high enough? I'm trying to figure out the minimum HP you'd need to pull that off given enemy attacks maxing out at around 4147 damage. Knowing this number would be useful for trying to equip those high-damage Diamond/Mithril Rings we've been talking about, seeing as different weapons give different natural handicaps to your Life.

Hmm, is it just impossible to melee anything on the later floors, or am I just bad at this?

Specifically,
Spoiler:
fairies with drills
.  I've tried using pretty much every weapon type, and the
Spoiler:
hakkero
+ geometry abuse seems to be the only way to not die horribly.  I'm used to these touhou related games being hard, but making all but one type of weapon more or less obsolete is pretty crazy.  My gear should be up to date for those floors, since I'm constantly getting treasure chests containing unidentified weapons and rings constantly.
Attack their sides/backs. The drills only cover the front of their bodies, and they're not as inclined to be continuously facing you as fire fairies are, so you can get them to walk in a direction and then attack them anywhere other than the front. You can also try using dolls, but keep in mind that those weapons have a big safespot right in your face, a la Icicle Fall -Easy-, and the fairies happen to like getting in your face before taking the drills out. I actually recommend giving your AI partner any good doll weapons you find - she's remarkably good at using their secondary attack, which is otherwise tricky to aim properly. But yeah, enemies having that kind of protection certainly makes ranged weapons the more viable options in later floors. Don't worry, you'll get
Spoiler:
Youmu's swords
soon enough. :V

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012, 04:43:04 AM »
Attack their sides/backs. The drills only cover the front of their bodies, and they're not as inclined to be continuously facing you as fire fairies are, so you can get them to walk in a direction and then attack them anywhere other than the front. You can also try using dolls, but keep in mind that those weapons have a big safespot right in your face, a la Icicle Fall -Easy-, and the fairies happen to like getting in your face before taking the drills out. I actually recommend giving your AI partner any good doll weapons you find - she's remarkably good at using their secondary attack, which is otherwise tricky to aim properly. But yeah, enemies having that kind of protection certainly makes ranged weapons the more viable options in later floors. Don't worry, you'll get
Spoiler:
Youmu's swords
soon enough. :V

You mean the AI partner actually uses the secondary attack?  They've never used it on any weapon I've had them use so far.  Though I haven't tried giving them dolls yet.

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
Oh, I noticed it said that deadly does nothing. I believe it triples the damage of the secondary attack.

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012, 12:46:37 PM »
From what I've seen all the NG+ does is make enemies everywhere comparable to late-game enemies in the original run-through, including the items they drop. I'm still searching to see if I can't find that Orichalcum Ring of yours, but no such luck yet. Anyone else find something like that?

Is it this?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:00:15 PM by Hinacle »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
Yep, that's it. I'm either looking in the wrong places or have just been unlucky, so I haven't been able to try out one of those Rings for myself yet.

Oh, I noticed it said that deadly does nothing. I believe it triples the damage of the secondary attack.
I had suspected that Deadly might do something along those lines, but so far I'm not seeing a correlation between the two. I've seen multiple Deadly weapons that don't improve the secondary attack's strength, while some of us here have also seen the reverse, weapons without the Deadly modifier that still have the stronger secondary attack.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 12:15:04 AM »
So, have you guys compiled the bonuses from every prefix per item?

Also, someone mentioned that enemy damage caps at 4000+, so does that mean that repeating the NG+ will still have that effect & instead HP will increase?

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:26 AM »
Yep, that's it. I'm either looking in the wrong places or have just been unlucky, so I haven't been able to try out one of those Rings for myself yet.
I had suspected that Deadly might do something along those lines, but so far I'm not seeing a correlation between the two. I've seen multiple Deadly weapons that don't improve the secondary attack's strength, while some of us here have also seen the reverse, weapons without the Deadly modifier that still have the stronger secondary attack.

I think there is. Here is what I observe, but am not sure if it is true. Deadly on either the ring or Weapon will triple the damage of the secondary weapon. However, as far as I can tell, this is not true for all weapons.
On Dolls, it triples the primary weapon damage, not the secondary. It also seems to only sometimes triple knives' secondary weapon, but I don't know how to get the triple damage. I normally just see normal damage for knives.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
So, have you guys compiled the bonuses from every prefix per item?

Also, someone mentioned that enemy damage caps at 4000+, so does that mean that repeating the NG+ will still have that effect & instead HP will increase?
As in all the modifier combinations you'll actually find in the field? I haven't yet, since I feel it'll take way too long to check every enemy type on every floor for every combination. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a specific type of weapon by a certain floor, just look for the items that cost the most to repair and use those.

As far as I know the NG+ sign only upgrades the enemies once. They have health, damage output, and item drops comparable to late-game enemies from the first run-through, which is essentially the cap to how strong they'll get. I'll add that the last point about items can be troublesome. Without any proper Diamond weapons on Floor 7, farming for yen becomes much more difficult since Unidentified items don't sell well at all. In addition, the Unidentified items are fully upgraded to match the stuff you'll find against the final bosses - problem is, those bosses never give up Mithril weapons, so if you want a high-damage Mithril Ring to maximize Attack while keeping Life somewhat balanced, you're out of luck. That sign isn't kidding when it says to make sure you have all the items you need before setting up the NG+. :V

I think there is. Here is what I observe, but am not sure if it is true. Deadly on either the ring or Weapon will triple the damage of the secondary weapon. However, as far as I can tell, this is not true for all weapons.
On Dolls, it triples the primary weapon damage, not the secondary. It also seems to only sometimes triple knives' secondary weapon, but I don't know how to get the triple damage. I normally just see normal damage for knives.
Why didn't I think of trying that before? Though I'll add that it only seems to buff the fully charged primary attack for dolls, not the regular shot. These damage increases may well be what the Deadly modifier is supposed to do, but even if it is, it certainly wasn't implemented very well.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »
Ok, thanks for the tips.

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
I tried one life clearing the dungeon with the added challenge of not being allowed to go back up a staircase, but enemies only dropping unidentified items in the lava place and onward made it really tricky. What is the earliest level in which unique items drop? I guess grinding a unique item before continuing would make it much easier.

Immortal Momiji!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
I believe unique weapons start dropping at either Floor 13 or 14 - either way, it's well past when the game really jumps up in difficulty. Are you also playing under the condition that you're not repairing any weapons even if you're forced back out and have to start over?

I've sorted out all the things I wanted to sort out regarding my notes for this game, and my post with the attachment has been updated. At this point it'll just be corrections that go into it.

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
I believe unique weapons start dropping at either Floor 13 or 14 - either way, it's well past when the game really jumps up in difficulty. Are you also playing under the condition that you're not repairing any weapons even if you're forced back out and have to start over?

I've sorted out all the things I wanted to sort out regarding my notes for this game, and my post with the attachment has been updated. At this point it'll just be corrections that go into it.

Cool, thanks. It will be a grind killing mobs on floor 13 with a diamond weapon  :ohdear: One life clear/no stairs climbing means I'll restart with a new game (no items kept) if I die, but I don't care about my helper since it's inevitable that she gets killed by the time you reach those fire fairies.

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2012, 07:44:22 PM »
Some cool things I notice about unique items. So far I have tried Youmu's swords, Shanghai, Inu Sakuya, Hisou Sword, and Mini Hakkero.
My comments are that they are all better than the normal non-unique items you can get. Their usability makes them better, even if their stats aren't as impressive. The Hisou Sword is kind of hard to use, so I am still getting used to it. On note, I don't have a deadly modifier anymore, so I cannot see how it modifies these weapons.

Youmu's sword - As already mentioned, full invincibility and life steal on ultimate makes this weapon great. AI does not use this weapon that effectively, so it is better if you use it and have the AI use a high damage range weapon, like the Mini Hakkero.

Shanghai - Auto aim as secondary makes targetting very easy. The damage is lower than Inu Sakuya and regular dolls, but it is worth the damage nerf for the targetting.

Inu Sakuya - Better range, better primary, makes this weapon a bit better than dolls. However, dolls are still better in some stages, because knives do not go through walls, unlike lasers.

Hisou Sword - This one, I still don't get how it works. It seems like you auto parry during your second and third attack patterns or maybe pattern 2 to 4, I am unsure. You always seem to do 1 damage on the second and third attack. The first attack has random damage, but it may not be random... The secondary ability for this weapon can be huge damage. It seems like damage is related to distance. At 2500ish attack power, the distance tested was in the main map, on the south side to the north side and I ran to follow the keystone. With that much distance covered, it does a really high amount, about 90,000 damage.

Mini-Hakkero - Improved primary and movable Master Spark makes this weapon much better than the Hakkeros.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:08 PM »
Yeah, I already covered some of these weapons. I do have a correction for the Sword of Hisou, and the attachment has been updated again.

I have another question for Catfish. For this no-death challenge, are you also requiring that you kill all the bosses (save for Mystia and Nitori)? I went and tried that particular condition out, and honestly I don't know how anyone can put up with the RNG frequently giving you shitty and/or no weapons whatsoever.

I'd also like to ask if anyone could provide a translation of the three cutscenes, just for reference. I kinda want to see what are the similarities and differences between the endings of this game and Diablo 1.

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2012, 11:54:21 PM »

Hisou Sword - This one, I still don't get how it works. It seems like you auto parry during your second and third attack patterns or maybe pattern 2 to 4, I am unsure. You always seem to do 1 damage on the second and third attack. The first attack has random damage, but it may not be random... The secondary ability for this weapon can be huge damage. It seems like damage is related to distance. At 2500ish attack power, the distance tested was in the main map, on the south side to the north side and I ran to follow the keystone. With that much distance covered, it does a really high amount, about 90,000 damage.

The 2nd-3rd attacks actually depend on how long you "pause" between them.  If you just rapidfire click then yes, it'll seem like it does random-1-1, but if you Click, pause, click, pause, click it'll do maximum damage for what your stats currently are.

Which then gets doubled or so if your second/third attack end up parrying an attack.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:56:09 PM by Eliirae »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2012, 12:13:28 AM »
Another good find. Notes updated again.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 11:18:44 PM »
Sorry for the thread necro, but I figured it'd be best to post this here instead of starting a new thread.

I started playing this a few days ago and got fed up with the lack of minimap while hunting down bosses. So, I wrote a map-viewer.

Here it is.

It's very rudimentary but I figured it could be of use to someone. Enjoy!

Edit: Oops. Made a small mistake changing some paths in the viewer. Fixed.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:31:48 PM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest