Author Topic: [Music] Metal in Touhou Discussion Thread  (Read 5850 times)

DMJ654

• Radio Personality at Gensokyo Radio and their Resident Touhou Music Reviewer
  • Music and Games keep me alive.
    • Gensokyo Radio
[Music] Metal in Touhou Discussion Thread
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
Every day I wake up and start my day with listening to music, sometimes it is for reviews, other times it is just to jam too. When it comes to Touhou music, I listen to it all, Jazz, J-Pop, Dubstep, but my personal favorite is Metal. Now, before Touhou, I spent most of my time reviewing Metal music as a hobby. I listened to bands like Cattle Decapitation, Dimmu  Borgir, Gojira, Pantera, Exodus, and loads of others. So when I found groups like Undead Corp, Mods Crisis, As Killing your Breakdown, I fell in love with the music. What I mostly look for in the bands are the vocalists. More growling and screaming they could do the better. I also look for Guitar work, bands like Kissing the Mirror have great guitar work. So, what I want this thread to be about you thoughts, comments, and suggestions about the Touhou Metal universe.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:00:26 AM by DMJ654 »

Re: [Music] Metal in Touhou Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »
Top three for Touhou Metal in my opinion:
BLANKFIELD
Kurogane Lab
Hellnear

Even better? They all work together to do their own wicked original work too! http://thecountlessnotes.bandcamp.com/
BLANKFIELD and Kurogane Lab do pure instrumentals while Hellnear does vocals alongside his works in terms of Touhou. My absolute favorite is BLANKFIELD for how heavy some arranges become like this: Raise the White Flag

DMJ654

• Gensokyo Radio
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 06:07:22 AM »

Top three for Touhou Metal in my opinion:
BLANKFIELD
Kurogane Lab
Hellnear

Even better? They all work together to do their own wicked original work too! http://thecountlessnotes.bandcamp.com/
BLANKFIELD and Kurogane Lab do pure instrumentals while Hellnear does vocals alongside his works in terms of Touhou. My absolute favorite is BLANKFIELD for how heavy some arranges become like this: Raise the White Flag

I heard of BLANKFIELD and really dug their instrumentals. I really have not heard of the others though, might look into them more. As for me two songs really caught my attention as of late, one is "Give me Scream F***in' Guy" by Mods Crisis ∞ and "Anthem for Those Who Defeat Despair" by Kissing the Mirror . Both songs are super heavy and in my opinion, the vocals are just amazing on both. 

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 06:19:56 AM »
You might like  VAGUEDGE DIES FOR DIES IRAE then!
Dancer In Haunted Dark Alley
DEATHMARCH OF JIANGSHI'S PARADISE

I haven't heard of Mods Crisis ∞  before so I'll take a look into that now, pretty nice. Everyone should know of Crow's Claw and Demetori right? Demetori is still awesome but I've stopped listening to Crow's Claw after Brutal Games For Reminding Of Death.

DMJ654

• Gensokyo Radio
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 08:44:32 AM »
You might like  VAGUEDGE DIES FOR DIES IRAE then!
Dancer In Haunted Dark Alley
DEATHMARCH OF JIANGSHI'S PARADISE

I haven't heard of Mods Crisis ∞  before so I'll take a look into that now, pretty nice. Everyone should know of Crow's Claw and Demetori right? Demetori is still awesome but I've stopped listening to Crow's Claw after Brutal Games For Reminding Of Death.

Funny thing is I have heard both songs and love them. They are very high up on my Touhou metal list. I also think Forground Eclipse was very good. I still love them. Sadly they are over and done with and I will miss them

redlakitu

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »
I enjoy instrumental Touhou metal more than any other kind of music and while my tastes differ from yours, I'm going to give all the artists mentioned so far a try. Meanwhile, here's some of my favourites:

dBu music
Aquaelie
Clear Quartz (hardly my favourite by this circle, but I couldn't find anything better available on Youtube)
Crazy Voltage
Hachimitsu-Kumasan (not everything they do, and it's not always metal, but most stuff arranged by Hierograph and Nyo is really good, especially the Touhou Soccer OST)
Xi-on

All of the above is instrumental, mostly focused on fast paced melodies. I dislike songs with vocal, but if I were to pick one nonetheless, then this arrange of Necrofantasia rules.

Those are just the artists that I think are somewhat less known, and thus worth linking to. Other than that, I enjoy some usual suspects like Iron Attack, Crow'sClaw, Demetori and UI-70. I'm also aware of Sonic Highspeed Omega, Magnum Opus, South of Heaven and Dark Phoenix, but don't like them all that much. By the way, I don't really know what's considered mainstream in the Touhou metal community, so it's likely that some of the circles I just listed are actually less known than the ones I linked to.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 02:54:43 PM »
I hadn't heard of most of these. Well, I guess I know what I'm doing after word tonight.

The only one that hasn't already been mentioned that I feel like I could recommend is Unlucky Morpheus, but they're definitely squarely power metal, and there's little/no growling and screaming to be found. They're hit and miss for me, but the hits are nice.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

DMJ654

• Gensokyo Radio
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
By the way, I don't really know what's considered mainstream in the Touhou metal community, so it's likely that some of the circles I just listed are actually less known than the ones I linked to.

What is funny is I have never heard of any of the linked circles where I have heard of almost all of them below that.

I hadn't heard of most of these. Well, I guess I know what I'm doing after word tonight.

The only one that hasn't already been mentioned that I feel like I could recommend is Unlucky Morpheus, but they're definitely squarely power metal, and there's little/no growling and screaming to be found. They're hit and miss for me, but the hits are nice.

Unlucky Morpheus is very good when they hit. I kinda compare them to pre "Holy Diver" Dio. I dont care for them most of the time, but once they release something that grabs my attention, it tends to be very good.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:54:34 PM »
I'm just listing whatever names I haven't seen yet:
Aether
Saitama Saisyu Heiki (these two work together)
Minami(iosys) (everyone should know Minami right?)
Kokuyasou/Setsuna

I mention Minami regardless because this arrange was the entire reason I began to really get interested in Touhou music at all. I had no idea what Touhou was or that it was even a game at the time I heard this song. On a side note, does anyone know of circles that have made metalstep like this? Jerico's Law(my favorite) is an electronic circle but I haven't found metal and electronic mix together elsewhere.

DMJ654

• Gensokyo Radio
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 04:28:21 AM »
Ok side note, if you have note seen the Touhou 14.3 Impossible Spell Card Trailer watch it right now, and tell me how that song is heavy as hell and you can't wait to hear the mixes.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 05:30:31 AM »
How come nobody's mentioned Demetori (my favorite circle) or Foreground Eclipse yet? I know the latter disbanded (so sad ;_;), but still. Demetori only does instrumentals and almost all of FG's songs contain screamo, but it's still worth a listen.
IRON ATTACK! and CROW'SCLAW (again, mostly instrumentals) are pretty good too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:33:44 AM by LadyScarlet »
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

DMJ654

• Gensokyo Radio
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »
How come nobody's mentioned Demetori (my favorite circle) or Foreground Eclipse yet? I know the latter disbanded (so sad ;_;), but still. Demetori only does instrumentals and almost all of FG's songs contain screamo, but it's still worth a listen.
IRON ATTACK! and CROW'SCLAW (again, mostly instrumentals) are pretty good too.

I friggen loved FG's vocalist, It is sad to see them go. I loved their work. Seated with Liquor album was like my dream album. Two of my favorite metal groups, FG and Draw the Emotional, going hard on an album together. That is my all time favorite record. What is funny is I have yet to give this album a review, even though I own the album. Notice that I said Favorite Metal groups, Draw the Emotional and Foreground Eclipse are at the top of all time metal band in my list. Their work has gotten me to groove more then my other top three, being Dethklok, Steel Panther, and Amon Amarth. These guys know their metal and do it very well. If there ever was a Touhou Music Hall of Fame, Those two would be inducted under the metal category. 

Zil

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 07:29:32 AM »
Ok side note, if you have note seen the Touhou 14.3 Impossible Spell Card Trailer watch it right now, and tell me how that song is heavy as hell and you can't wait to hear the mixes.
That song is from Touhou 14, and so it's been out for around 8 months by now. Youtube yields something by Aether https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waLH1EShLwE

Anyway, I'm not much a fan of Touhou cover bands, but I tend to like Magnum Opus and mocchie. They have some trance-ish elements to their music, which I think allows them to get away with going instrumental much more effectively than some others who are more strictly metal. My issue with the groups who have vocalists is that they tend to give all of the melody to the vocalists and the instruments are uninteresting. Maybe the more death metal types are better with avoiding that but idk.

DMJ654

• Gensokyo Radio
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:23 AM »
That song is from Touhou 14, and so it's been out for around 8 months by now. Youtube yields something by Aether https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waLH1EShLwE

Anyway, I'm not much a fan of Touhou cover bands, but I tend to like Magnum Opus and mocchie. They have some trance-ish elements to their music, which I think allows them to get away with going instrumental much more effectively than some others who are more strictly metal. My issue with the groups who have vocalists is that they tend to give all of the melody to the vocalists and the instruments are uninteresting. Maybe the more death metal types are better with avoiding that but idk.

Well since we are on the topic of Vocalists, here is one band I discovered. They are named AGENT 0 and I have fallen in love with the brutality of the music. The Guitar is AMAZING, shreds, solos, the works when it comes to brutal death metal, then you have the vocalists CRUSHING growls that make me have goosebumps! I mean listen to that!!