Author Topic: Touhou Mindset  (Read 10580 times)

Re: Touhou Mindset
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
I am admittedly best when I am about to collapse at 3am...
Seriously, I zoned out and didn't even realise I was playing, decided to practice SA Stage 4 Normal for Suikareimu via the score.dat I have.
I get to Satori no deaths, die once on Mt Togakushi because I forgot what it did, and then..,
Mist labyrinth?
I went /flying/ around in circles through all the bullets without even realising what I was doing. The moment I figured out what I was doing again and woke up a bit, about a second of damage left, I died. :x
Seriously, those dodges were unnecessarily fast and ridiculous.
I'll never forget them :V
And then there was the time I tried EoSD Lunatic and got past Cirno~~~~
Hard 1ccs
Completed: IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

Extra 1ccs
Completed: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

strangedudemeh

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
؜
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:49:53 AM by Lunar Chaos »

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 05:48:47 PM »
I am admittedly best when I am about to collapse at 3am...
Did I ever mention that the first time I managed to reach Mokou in IN was when I was totally exhausted at 2 AM? :V

.....And then Mokou said "There's no turning back. It's the one-way battle at 2 A.M.!"....and brix were shat.

But yeah, I seem to have the same condition where I do unusually well when I'm dead tired. :wat:

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 02:31:59 AM »
I find my best mindset to be somewhere after the hundredth death, where I just don't care too much, but still have enough adrenaline to take me through when I actually start winning.

Tends to end badly when I become excited enough to start fearing death again though.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:19 AM »
Overconfidence is my biggest enemy right now.
I know I CAN capture most of Nue's stuff, which is why I keep dying with bombs in stock.
Most recent attempt died to the 3rd nonspell with 1 bomb in stock, Rainbow UFOs with none, survival with 1 right at the start, survival with 2 right at the end, Grudge Bow with none to fail to clear.
The bold ones were especially stupid.

Let this be a lesson: a cocky mindset is a failing mindset, a scared panicky one will succeed as long as it isn't too panicked

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »
Let this be a lesson: a cocky mindset is a failing mindset, a scared panicky one will succeed as long as it isn't too panicked

I hate my mindset. It doesn't allow me to die or bomb in stage 1, die in stage 2, or pull stupid shit on stages 3 and 4. If I suddenly just lose all of my lives to Byakuren, I'm just going to flip out and just run into her as if saying FUCK IT FUCK THIS GAME I HATE YOU I HATE ALL OF YOU

Here's how my mindset works.

Scenario 1: I do good, perfecting all the way to stage 6. I get to the final boss and fuck up on her first card by clipping.

"DAFUQ DID YOU JUST DO? WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST DO MOTHERFUCKER THAT IS NOT HOW I ROLL HOW I ROLL IS I SHOOT AT YOU I DODGE BULLETS AND YOU DIE THAT IS HOW I ROLL MOTHERFUCKER YOU DO NOT KILL ME MOTHERFUCKER"

Scenario 2: I start with full lives in UFO stage 4 and get to Shou with no lives or bombs.

"...FUCK THIS GAME *Alt+F4*"

Scenario 3: I do a perfect run of Stage 5 in Touhou 6. But then The World/Killing Doll decides to kill me with a stray bullet after I capture the card.

"WHAT. WHAT. NO. NO. NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO FUCK NO FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK NO NO I HATE YOU SAKUYA WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME MOTHERFUCKER YOU ARE NOT FUCKING FAIR I HATE YOU I HATE YOU WHY DO YOU DO THIS I HATE YOU I HATE YOU I HATE YOU THIS ISN'T FAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Scenario 4: I get to Kanako without dying and get to Mountain of Faith, <RESPONSE>, I die to the card, <SECOND RESPONSE>

"PFFT. Piece of cake!" *PICHUUN* "WHAT WHAT NO WHAT NO FUCK NO WHAT WHAT NO WHAT NO NO FUCK FUCK NO WHAT NO FUCK FUCK NO"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:30:49 AM by Esupanitix »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Nekomata-chan

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
There are several mindsets for me that have worked so far.

1) "Let's just keep going... so good so far!!"
2) "What the hell is this? Protect the hitbox!!"
3) "Booyah. Damn it. Booyah."

(1) is a mixture of incentive and self-encouragement which I found works better for me earlier on in the day. I tend to change mindsets during the day.
(2) is my form of survival-fail. I just kind of talk to myself, giving myself tactics and scolding myself when I fail. So far, this has worked 1/10 times. This is why I envy good Touhou live-LPers. They can talk whilst they play and not fail. Ugh.
(3) is talking smack to the enemy. Not being cocky, though, just trying somehow to trick myself that I'm scaring my opponent into taking it easy on me. This works equally as well as (1).

In short, don't talk to yourself. Talk to the enemy.

But "Bitch, get out of the way!" is still the best route to take before a fight.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
As weird as it might sound, sometimes adopting the personality of the PC I'm using will help a lot. Like, I try to think "what would Reimu do in this situation?" and it'll actually work. That, and reminding myself that no matter how difficult the pattern, ZUN always creates a path for you in there somewhere; you just have to find it.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
The "don't touch me or go even near me nor talk to me" mind set like Gear 2nd in One Piece, just don't bother talking, you can see all these lights and shit and you insist on talking when you can clearly see this is some mad shit going on right now. The instant bust.

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »
I swear my mindset is all over the place, as is my ability to play.  I've played with a clear head and no external or internal issues interfering, and yet have died horribly to stupid things.  And then there was the time I was bored pulling a Christmas all nighter, and went pretty far on Hard mode in PCB which I had decided to do in a sleep deprived stupor at 5 AM.

Sometimes, I swear my best runs come after me doing stupid things in Stage 1 and restarting the game about five or six times.