Author Topic: Replacing in-game portraits  (Read 2084 times)

Replacing in-game portraits
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:47:46 AM »
Hi, guys! I was wondering - is there any way to replace in-game portraits with portraits of your own? In particular, I want to replace the (awful) Embodiment of Scarlet Devil portraits with IaMP/SWR style portraits. With the re-texture pack making everything so crisp and clean, ZUN's portraits just feel out of place to me. Thanks in advance.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
Re: Replacing in-game portraits
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:54:13 AM »
I seriously don't see what's wrong with any of ZUN's drawings. I am not a fanboy, just saying. I can tell the difference between decent art, good art, and bad art. This is decent. How are ZUN's portraits BAD, necessarily? I actually think some of them are good.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:45:02 AM »
I've never used them, but I'm fairly certain checking out Drake's Project Thread would yield some potential tools for image editing in the games~
Hard 1ccs
Completed: IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

Extra 1ccs
Completed: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
I seriously don't see what's wrong with any of ZUN's drawings. I am not a fanboy, just saying. I can tell the difference between decent art, good art, and bad art. This is decent. How are ZUN's portraits BAD, necessarily? I actually think some of them are good.

It's just my opinion. ZUN's drawings get better in the later games, anyways - UFO's are really good IMO. It's just that some of the EoSD ones really bother me, like the Meiling drawing and her creepy stare. Plus, I LOVE the drawings in the fighting games.

I've never used them, but I'm fairly certain checking out Drake's Project Thread would yield some potential tools for image editing in the games~

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
I'm sorry, it's just that I never really understood why everyone hates on ZUN's drawings.

Enjoy.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:38:20 PM »
I'm sorry, it's just that I never really understood why everyone hates on ZUN's drawings.

They look bad in comparison to most of the other animu-styled art we see nowadays. I don't think they mean to demean his efforts or anything; but no matter how you look at it, his art is incredibly flawed in the older games.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:16:39 AM »
I am just unable to hate art. I do not know WHY, I just can't hate something along the lines of art unless it's so bad a stick drawing would be better.

Enjoy.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:52:28 AM »
Then why defend ZUN's drawings if you know you are personally unable to judge art?