Author Topic: [ROGUE] Okay let's play some NetHack (and DCSS!) (and Angband!) (and Slash'em!)  (Read 170946 times)

Matsuri

Re: Okay let's play some NetHack
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
I know I've said that one of us should make a quick guide to using NAO. But I also know we're both super-lazy. :V

We can write it together later. I'm bound to forget stuff. :V

Also AAAAAA I DIED RIGHT AFTER I GOT EXCALIBUR ;;

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »

Matsuri

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »
I was desperate and surrounded okay ;;

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2010, 12:36:21 AM »
Excalibur's just a random chance, right?

And the Samurai can dip either starting weapon to get it... ... right? (I'm thinking that both weapons count as Excalibur-able weapons, but no dice and lotsa rust so far. >>; )

Also, damned be dwarves. *shakes fist*

« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
You have to be lawful and at least level 5, and dipping a longsword. Katana is distinct from longsword, and wakizashi is short sword, so neither Samurai starting weapons will work. (But yes, it is a random 1 in 6 chance if the other conditions are met.)

Matsuri

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
 .... How do you even last that long?

I seem to have the best luck as a monk, for some reason. To be fair, though, I haven't tried "tourist" yet.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Matsuri

« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2010, 02:25:26 PM »
Excalibur is a lovely weapon, and Valkyries can definitely take a hit. Unfortunately, unexpected death rays are a bit of a weakness.

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
I do not have words for this. What.

Random deathrays are always great fun :V. That's why you need to have reflection.

Another great surprise are instadeaths from poisoned arrows and such. Fortunately poison resistance is pretty easy to gain by eating things like Killer Bees or some snakes. If the game says "You feel healthy" after eating one you know it worked.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Tengukami

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »

Oh nice, an amulet of strangulation. Just what I always wanted.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »

Oh nice, an amulet of strangulation. Just what I always wanted.

Yeah, the best thing to do is to #dip it into holy water (if you have any) or #pray and hope for the best. If you're near a fountain and don't have any holy water/luck with #pray you can try to desperately #dip it into that and hope the RNG wants to give you a lucky break.

It's pretty much why I always try to identify the blessed/uncursed/cursed status of any amulet I have before wearing it. Dropping them on altars is a pretty easy way to do this.

Tengukami

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »
Another tip to add to the collection, thanks!

Matsuri

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2010, 03:32:28 PM »
Prayer is always a good last-resort move. Worst-case scenario is that your god gets mad and kills you when you were gonna die anyway. :P

Also, we should get Trance, Serp, and bofh in here to leech off of their knowledge for discussion of NetHackish stuff. :3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:34:12 PM by Matsuri Komeiji »

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
Another great surprise are instadeaths from poisoned arrows and such. Fortunately poison resistance is pretty easy to gain by eating things like Killer Bees or some snakes. If the game says "You feel healthy" after eating one you know it worked.
I usually use kobolds for poison resistance, although losing STR as a result sucks. Does this not happen with other types of corpses?

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »
I usually use kobolds for poison resistance, although losing STR as a result sucks. Does this not happen with other types of corpses?

Uh... kobold corpses don't give poison resistance. In fact I think they may be about the only poisonous corpse that doesn't have a chance of granting poison resistance.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:02:32 AM by Arashi Kurobara »

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2010, 07:27:13 PM »
So what the hell are the controls? I tried a game. Couldn't pick anything up, couldn't cast spells. And other stuff.

Tengukami

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »
So what the hell are the controls? I tried a game. Couldn't pick anything up, couldn't cast spells. And other stuff.

Google "Nethack controls". Barring that, there's always the Help button. Depends if you're using a number pad or not.

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »
There's way too many commands.

Matsuri

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »
Once you learn them, you really don't forget them.

Tengukami

Nethack
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
Way too many controls? There's a core vocabulary of like 6 controls. And you can press # to get a list of commands to choose from, and pressing i opens your entire inventory. The commands are the easy part.

Matsuri

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
Seriously. It took me a couple rounds to learn the controls, and even when I switched to vi-keys, I re-learned everything in a matter of five minutes or so. It's not hard at all.

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
Oh joy, I totally didn't expect that:

First good run I managed to get going. I had the Magicbane, decent AC and I had defeated lots of stronger monsters in melee. Since I started fighting the damn thing with full health I did the worst mistake possible and didn't pay attention. If I had noticed my health running low I would have had at least 5 different ways of saving my life.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2010, 02:30:35 PM »
Oh hey Nethack, I wonder if I still have that install of mangband on Triela...

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Matsuri

« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »

« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2010, 04:19:58 AM »
OK writing this was long overdue, especially to have something to drop a link to easily on IRC. (Some of the pics are wider than 640 but short enough that the overall resolution is still fewer pixels than 640x480 plz don't hurt me.)

A Brief Guide to nethack.alt.org (for Windows Users)!
I'd hope Linux users are able to figure out how to telnet on their own, and if you use a Mac then just :dwi:

So, first off, you'll want to get PuTTY. The NAO website does have a Java client and a Flash client, but I can't vouch for either. (In fact, while I haven't tried the Java one, the Flash one won't even connect for me. >=|)

When you open PuTTY, you should have a screen that looks more or less like this:

If it's your first time using PuTTY, you won't have anything other than "Default Settings" under "Saved Sessions". Other than that, fill in this same info up in the "Specify the destination..." box of stuff.

There's also a setting you might want to change under the "Translations" section as seen here:

See that "CP437"? That's the character set you'll be needing to use if you want to play with, or watch someone who's using, the IBMGraphics setting for NetHack (like, um... me.). It's optional otherwise - it won't affect people using the normal ASCII or DECGraphics settings.

Once you've got those options set up, you can save it if you want by entering a title for this setup under "Saved Sessions" back on the Session section, then hitting Save. (In the future you can load it straight back up by selecting whatever you called the setup then hitting Load.) Either way, press the Open button when you're ready to go!

Once you've gotten connected to the server, you should see:

Telnet is entirely text-based - to select any menu option, hit the letter that's in the "a)" before the option you want to pick. As you can see, you can watch games even without being logged into an account. You might want to be logged in anyway - it'll let you send messages to the player that's you're watching, for the most major thing. To register or login, just hit "r" or "l" respectively and just follow the prompts. Once you're logged in, your menu should instead look like:

It's got a few more options, but it works the same way. I personally don't like to edit my settings via telnet, because I haven't got the slightest idea how to use vi; I'll get to the settings later. For the most part you'll probably be selecting to either play or watch from here.

If you hit "w", whether logged in or not, you'll get:

Just like on the main menu, hit the letter next to a player's name to watch their game, e.g. "c" to watch Arturion. Hit ">" (case-sensitive) to go to the next page of games, "<" for the previous. You can also type "/" and then a player's name to jump to their game directly if you know they're playing. (If the numbers under "Size" are red, that means the player has their screen size set larger than yours. You can hit "r" when watching one of these players to resize your client.)

Selecting to play with "p" while logged in will give you this prompt:

I have my own settings set to default me to female. Most players will have "gender" added to the things it asks about here. "y" will let you pick all your details individually (you can choose random for any given option on their own prompts should you wish), n will give you a completely random character, "q" will quit back to the main menu.

The further prompts all look much like:

Once you've got role/race/alignment/gender picked, then you're playing! You may wish to turn to the Guidebook (basically the manual) from here, and I'll drop a few other resource links at the end.

If you want to change your gameplay settings, you can use WebConf, which will display options with radio buttons or other easy GUI options as appropriate, or RCEdit, which will let you edit like a text file. Both require your NAO username/password. (Note that at the time of this writing the non-boolean options do not save properly when using WebConf.) None of these setting affect what you get when watching a game, only when playing for yourself.

A few handy links for spoliers (which in NetHack pretty much only refers to gameplay, since it's not like there's much of a plot!):
- WikiHack
- Yet Another NetHack Site
- Clippy for price identification help
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:03:01 AM by Arashi Kurobara »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »
Oh hey look at that.  Telnet to triela.shrinemaiden.org :3

All of Arashi's instructions apply, just replace nethack.alt.org with triela.shrinemaiden.org for host name.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2010, 08:14:09 AM »
Oh hey look at that.  Telnet to triela.shrinemaiden.org :3

All of Arashi's instructions apply, just replace nethack.alt.org with triela.shrinemaiden.org for host name.

Wanna be a sweetie and upload my config?~ :derp:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
Will do~  I don't have a fancy RC editor interface yet, but for now just give me your username and the RC file and I'll put it in the right place.

I'm compiling a few more games as we speak.  Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is definitely going on there, as well as Angband and possibly Mangband/Multiband (whichever's better now).  If you guys toss me a list of links to *band/hack clones you guys want on the server I'll be more than happy to add them.

Also http://www.shrinemaiden.org/maidenhack/ for dumpfiles/etc

Matsuri

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
TSO: Whenever I try to start a game, it keeps taking me back to the main menu. Not sure what I'm doing wrong ;x

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2010, 07:27:08 PM »
TSO: Whenever I try to start a game, it keeps taking me back to the main menu. Not sure what I'm doing wrong ;x

I'll look into it, I just literally got it setup so it might be really buggy.