Author Topic: Origins of Touhou Music  (Read 11546 times)

KomeijiKoishi

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:18:47 PM by KomeijiKoishi »

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
Re: Origins of Touhou Music
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »
Very inspirational, good find there!  :P

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »
... oh, come on, the first Underwater City/History of the Moon and the Lunatic Princess ones are really reaching. :P

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:04:23 PM »
Oh yeah, hood ol' Cryptomnesia never lets you down.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 10:46:29 PM »
Ah, that's what the term for that is! I was trying to remember it a couple weeks ago ...

See also: this, about 17 seconds in. Sound familiar (1:07)?

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 11:30:22 PM »
I outright disagree with some of these comparisons... some of them are, at best, a single bar that might be considered similar.
A few are stronger though. Metal man - Rumia's theme for example.
Advocate of Transhumanism

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
Yeah, a lot of these are either just similar harmonic progressions that have been used by many people over the years, or little snippets of melodies that are probably just coincidence.  Though I knew about that Septette/Pathetique similarity before watching this vid, and I always thought it sounded pretty fishy.

Quintafeira12

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
Signature

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
The only two in that video I really felt had a connection was Casket of Star and Fall of Fall. The rest are vague enough to be coincidences.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 11:04:45 PM »
An in-Touhou music influence thing.

I was listening to Legend of Hourai from Dolls in Psuedo Paradise, and couldn't help but feel that there were some parts that sounded a bit like parts of Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke -- for example, the bit starting at 0:55 on the linked video (you can't miss it).

I know that they're both by ZUN, but it's still uncannily similar. Thoughts on this?
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Drake

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »
An in-Touhou music influence thing.

I was listening to Legend of Hourai from Dolls in Psuedo Paradise, and couldn't help but feel that there were some parts that sounded a bit like parts of Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke -- for example, the bit starting at 0:55 on the linked video (you can't miss it).

I know that they're both by ZUN, but it's still uncannily similar. Thoughts on this?
But they're obviously connected so

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -