Author Topic: The Cell Evolution Forum Competition: Evolve your way to victory!  (Read 33176 times)

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: The Cell Evolution Forum Competition: Evolve your way to victory!
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 02:06:22 AM »
In what cases can we use Vertical reproductions?  In lieu of an evolution roll? An additional roll for an existing trait?
Do I need to develop Glycolysis? Enzymes? Ways to manufacture proteins? Am I obsessing too much about mechanism and should just go for results?

This applies to everyone. You can do the sex options once you go multicellular, you just have to evolve the mechanisms for it. *coughcoughgendercoughcough*

At the current time, PX is the closest to getting to multicellular, but he seems to have no way of making energy efficiently.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 05:34:56 AM »
>equipevolve flagellum to wiggle closer to the surface
>+2 to Nazgul
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Talking to yourself isn't a sign of madness. Expecting a reply is.
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 12:43:46 PM »
Round 2

The planet, named Jensok, has finally stabilized into a relatively warm Earth-like planet with many volcanoes, uninhabited plains, and hydrothermal vents. It has a thick atmosphere filled with nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen, and small amounts of free hydrogen, helium, and other trace gases. Life is currently thriving in the ocean, except for you guys apparently.

Event: N/A.

Miniking
Roll: 6 +2 = 8 --> SOOPAH EEVOLUUUSION

Using its cilia to move around, the P. parvusrex has evolved a way to filter oxygen from the water while it moves. With the new addition of free oxygen in the cell, the P. parvusrex has developed a more efficient way of making energy from glucose, similar to a mitochondria. But you aren't a mitochondria, and you should get one ASAP.

Traits: Cilia, mitochondria-like glucose processing, oxygen filter
Appearance: P. thrivum with cilia
Environment: Deep ocean
Conservation Status: VU

Mr_Bob
Roll: 6 -1 = 5 --> As expected

The P. bobus attempts to evolve its primitive cilia to hopefully use them as a filter for glucose. It works fine.

Traits: Cilia, glucose filter
Appearance: Same as P. Parvusrex
Conservation Status: EN

Sirvup
Roll: 5 +2 +2 = 9 --> SUPAH EVOLOOSHUN

The P. purvis has realized that P. kasums are great sources of food, but instead of killing them all, they have started to merge with the P. kasums, leading to a Kasum purvis cross-hybrid, with both the speed of glucose digestion and glucose chain-forming, but also absorb P. purvis' malicious relationship buddies, who turn out to be very efficient (roughly 15x) at processing glucose into energy. Both you and Kasu have mitochondria.

Traits: Malicious relationship, mitochondria, fast glucose digestion, glycogen/starch forming
Appearance: same as ancestors
Conservation Status: NT (both species has merged)

Ps
Roll: 2 = 2 --> Very bad effect

In an attempt to release the poisonous byproducts in its cells, the P. pes has developed its membranes to release this byproduct. Unfortunately, the membrane has stiffened, causing the poison to stay inside, further damaging itself.

Traits: More efficient glucose digestion, stiff membrane
Conservation Status: CR

Raitaki
Roll: 5 +2 = 7 --> Better than expected

After their failed attempts at a water propulsion system, the P. tonitus had evolved pseudopods to engulf water into vacuoles, then expel them at high velocities using many transfer proteins within the cell to a single water "bubble". Your species can move around better, but there's no way to make energy yet. All of those transfer proteins are very power hungry.

Traits: Energy-inefficient water propulsion, propulsion using water bubbles and transfer proteins
Environment: deep ocean

Kasu
Roll: 3 +2 +2 +2 +2 = 11 --> SUPER EVOLUTION!!!1111!111one

As the P. kasum species fills up with starch and glycogen, several individuals spontaneously evolved the ability to conjoin and rejoin glucose into chains at will. As a weird side effect, the the glucose can also be used twice as fast to produce more energy over a period of time. Essentially, your species just became more efficient with its glucose, but I would recommend evolving mitochondria eventually.

Traits: Convert glucose to glycogen/starch quickly, efficient glucose -> energy conversion, mitochondria
Conservation Status: NT (both of your species have merged)

PX
Roll: 3 = 3 --> no effect

The P. peksum are now able to engulf other cells. At this point, many species are smaller than your relatively large colonies.

Traits: Increased division, engulfing other cells
Appearance: Colonies look like blobs ~1 um.
Conservation Status: VU (high number of individuals)

LaserTurtle
Roll: 6 = 6 --> better than expected

The P. tuturus realizes that it needs to move higher up in the ocean to receive more sunlight, so it develops a good flagellum to get up there. But with no way of detecting where is "up," nor a good energy source, the P. turturus needs to evolve more in to reach the surface. The cell might burst if you get too close to the surface.

Traits: Photosynthesis
Appearance: Green blob

DNAbc
Roll: 1 = 1 --> Opposite effect

In an attempt to become a parasite of the newly-formed Kasus purvis (K. purvis), the P. danabacus ended up becoming the hosts of the K. purvis. Somehow. But at least you have mitochondria now.

Traits: mitochondria

Garatina93
Roll: Cilia: 1 +2 = 3 --> no effect
Mitochondria: 3 --> no effect

A newcomer to Jensok, the P. garatinus has cilia to move around and mitochondria to fuel them.

Traits: Cilia, mitochondria
Appearance: P. thrivum w/ cilia

Evil_Nazgul0616
Roll: Flagellum: 6 +2  = 8 --> SUPAH EVOLUTION
Cell wall 3 = 3 --> no effect

Another newcomer, the P. nazgus has a very strong flagellum to propel itself. It is currently the fastest creature in the ocean with that flagellum, and it's able to sustain itself even when moving. It's speed allows it to evade predators and allow for more of them to survive. A better energy source is recommended, though.

Traits: flagellum
Appearance: same as ancestors with flagellum

BT
Roll: Stretchy: 2 = 2 --> very bad effect
Poisons: 6 = 6 --> better than expected

Another newcomer to the deep oceans of Jensok, the P. betes initially evolves a very stretchy membrane, along with the ability to generate and release poisons. The stretchy membranes unfortunately lets cytoplasmic fluid out since the membrane molecules are too far apart to prevent that. this also means that the cell is very vulnerable while stretching.

The poison the P. betes makes is simply a byproduct of making glucose, and it releases it out into the water outside. As an added bonus, it has an immunity to its own poison, fixing the "stretchy membrane lets everything in" problem.

Traits: stretchy membrane, poison generation, poison immunity
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
I am still confused how apparently this fictional species is apparently complex enough to develop a complex organelle that is the nucleus...yet still lack a flagellum for locomotion of all thIngs.

Do appreciate mod actually knowing his biology and that the mitochondria is an possibly an integration of organisms! Approval rating+1

>develop endoplasmic reticulum, commence protein synthesis

People we go cell differentiation and multicellular nao

>+2 to my host k.purvis
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »
I am still confused how apparently this fictional species is apparently complex enough to develop a complex organelle that is the nucleus...yet still lack a flagellum for locomotion of all thIngs.
I'm actually pretty sure McFailFace didn't specify whether we had a nucleus or not. I just assumed we all had the single prokaryote chromosome and maybe a few plasmids...

Anyway:
>Evolve mitochondria.

EDIT: So I'm guessing that's a yes to my post below?
>+2 to Miniking
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:00:24 PM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2015, 03:47:37 PM »
So I can move around now, and can breath easier. That's just what I needed. Now, to enjoy some actual food before something happens.

>Pilus that would allow for me to leech off the life force or blood or whatever from other cells

+2 to Miniking.
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 04:03:37 PM »
ayyyyyyy

also the livestock is getting ahead what kind of monster have I just created

>Develop enzymes to break down smaller, unsuspecting bacteria and such to mug their leftover ATP! I should know how to spit out the rest of their lifeless carcass afterwards using my vacuoles, right o vo

>Help DNA unsuckify his rolls :V  <-- assuming is +2 to DNAbc
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:12:48 PM by Failure McFailFace »
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2015, 04:49:26 PM »
Let's try to pick up a kind of amorphous style of locomotion, like the noble amoeba, so I can give P. kasum a rudimentary high five.

Also -1 to Raitaki, because just unsporting.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
I'm actually pretty sure McFailFace didn't specify whether we had a nucleus or not. I just assumed we all had the single prokaryote chromosome and maybe a few plasmids...
See 1st post:
Protobactum Thrivum is a simple Eukaryotic bacteria cell
It has a nucleus, but nothing else, sorry for the confusion

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
But there's no such thing as a eukaryotic bacteria! All bacteria are prokaryotes! You know what. There's no point in arguing. This game is supposed to be fun, right?

Anyway, am I still allowed to do the +2 or -1 to somebody at this point, or do I need to wait until the next round?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:00:06 PM by Evil_Nazgul0616 »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
> Develop mitochondria with a focus on energy efficiency if possible (gotta become MOST EFFICIENT).
> +2 to Purvis.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 06:17:34 PM »
>Develop a damn cell wall

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »
>don't know which way's up? Just head towards where there's less pressure!
>oh, and uh make some semipermeable cell membranes so the depressurization doesn't explode you.  <-- can only do one trait unless has genders + sex organs to do gene transfer or is new player
>+2 to PX, the guy needs it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:47:20 PM by Failure McFailFace »
Off The Rails [complete!] 1  2 - Sharks jumped: Somewhere between one and all of them
Stare too long into the abyss and the abyss stares back, and then it gets awkward until one of you breaks eye contact.

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »
>Develop a tube to expel Hydrogen Peroxide through
>-1 to Raitaki in hopes that (s)he won't be able to eat me

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »
>Develop Glycolysis
>+2 to P. Pas

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »
>+2 Bonusu to LaserTurtle because if a plan like that goes the opposite way, they risk going instinct.
>Develop Mitochondria  ASAP.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2015, 09:10:40 PM »
OH NO! The poison's leaking!

:flowerpower:

How's our travels going? Are we going with the flow along with all the other yummy earthly compounds?
>Speed up our metabolism. Make it include most of the junk (and water) we let in through the membrane so that it gets filtered out quickly. Maybe it'll increase cell growth / cytoplasma% too.
>+2 to that Pokemon Giratina.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2015, 09:30:38 PM »
Eh; little late; but let's join in.

If I'm correct being Round 3 I get [Using  X traits (X = round # + 1)] 4 traits to try and develop. If I'm misunderstanding, priority is top to bottom.

> Develop Flagellum
> Develop chloroplasts
> Develop Cell Wall
> Develop Vacuole

+2 to BT because why not.

And this world needs plants. Food chain people.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 09:58:43 PM »
Anyway, am I still allowed to do the +2 or -1 to somebody at this point, or do I need to wait until the next round?
it would be easier for me to put that in your post

And this world needs plants. Food chain people.
plants are already here

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
plants are already here

That doesn't stop me being a plant. There's no rule about needing to be animals; after all.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2015, 10:12:06 PM »
Round 3

Jensok's oceans are now filled to the brim with life. As a result, food is quickly being depleted by everyone. The Jensokians have to evolve to eat other species or risk extinction by starvation.

Event: 3. No event next turn

I HAVE A QUEST
One of a line of quests that are basically achievements for reaching certain stages. The next one is once you can sense 3 different things (light, chemicals, touch)

Become the first species to become multicellular, and you can win one of these 3 great prizes!

• Free super evolution on your next trait
  • 3 extra mutations (can be spread out over 3 turns or used all at once) (no modifiers)
  • Change any player's roll to any number (1-8)

Good luck!

Miniking
Species Name: P. parvusrex
Roll: 4 +2 +2 = 8 --> SUPER EVOLUTION

The P. parvusrex has reached its goal since it first evolved: mitochondria. It can now process glucose at a more efficient rate, and it can move around for long periods of time thanks to its oxygen filter and cilia. It no longer needs its cytoplasm glucose processing.

Traits: Cilia, mitochondria-like glucose processing, oxygen filter, mitochondria.
Appearance: P. thrivum with cilia

Mr_Bob
Species Name: P. bobus
Roll: 6 = Better than expected

The P. bobus is now processing its glucose into pyruvates, gaining some energy in return.

Traits: Cilia, glucose filter, glycolysis
Appearance: Same as P. Parvusrex

Sirvup
Species Name: P. kasum
Roll: 2 +2 = 4 --> Not expected effect

The P. kasum can now move using pseudopods.

Traits: Malicious relationship, mitochondria, fast glucose digestion, glycogen/starch forming, pseudopods
Conservation Status: NT (both species has merged)

Ps
Species Name: P. pes
Roll: 1 +2 = 3 --> no effect

The P. pes continue to be tormented by the products of its glucose digestion.

Traits: More efficient glucose digestion, stiff membrane

Raitaki
Species Name: P. tonitus
Roll: 4 -1 -1 = 2 --> Very bad effect

In Soviet Russia, you don't digest others, you digest you!
Due to an inability to be immune or remove its own digestive enzymes, the P. tonitus starts digesting itself from the inside, leading to a major decrease in population.

Traits: Energy-inefficient water propulsion, propulsion using water bubbles and transfer proteins, digestive enzymes (from the inside)

Kasu
Species Name: K. purvis
Roll: 1 +2 = 3 --> no effect

The K. purvis is the same as its ancestors.

Traits: Convert glucose to glycogen/starch quickly, efficient glucose -> energy conversion, mitochondria
Conservation Status: NT (both of your species have merged)

PX
Species Name: P. peksum
Roll: 4 +2 = 6 --> Better than expected

The P. peksum evolves a cell wall as defense against the many other species in the ocean. The material for these walls is a strong protein in long, thin layers, with many layers to a wall. As a result, the colones now look polygonal in appearance.

Traits: Increased division, engulfing other cells, cell wall
Appearance: Colonies look like polygons ~1 um.
Conservation Status: VU (high number of individuals)

LaserTurtle
Species Name: P. turturus

The P. turturus, in its quest for more efficient photosynthesis, develops pressure sensors on its cell membrane to know where it is in relation to the surface. The species still lyses and pops open at the surface, however. It can't move, either.

Traits: Photosynthesis, pressure sensor
Appearance: Green blob

DNAbc
Species Name: P. danacabus

As its surroundings become more and more evolved and complicated, the P. danabacus evolves an ER. It'll need a way to collect enough resources to make anything, though.

Traits: mitochondria, ER

Garatina93
Species Name: P. garatinus
Roll: 4 +2 = 6 --> Better than expected

In response to the crowded environment, the P. garatinus evolves a pilus to remove nutrients from other cells. It works, but it can't sense if it has touched a cell or some other thing, like a rock or the sea bed.

Traits: Cilia, mitochondria, pilus
Appearance: P. thrivum w/ cilia

Evil_Nazgul0616
Species Name: P. nazgus
Roll: 2 = 2 --> Very bad effect

When trying to invoke a symbiotic relationship with some energy-producing bacteria floating around, the P. nazgus accidentally absorbs a REALLY costly bacterium instead. All it does is be a parasite on its host cell, eating all of its resources and giving nothing in return. You need to expel (or break it down, hint hint) in order to survive.

Traits: flagellum, anti-mitochondria
Appearance: same as ancestors with flagellum

BT
Species Name: P. betes
Roll: 3 +2 = 5 --> As expected

The P. betes evolves a better metabolism. As a result, it can filter through its food from other things more quickly.

Traits: stretchy membrane, poison generation, poison immunity, better metabolism

Raikaria
Species Name: P. raikus
Roll: Flagellum: 5 = 5 --> As expected
Chloroplasts: 5 = 5 --> As expected
Cell wall: 6 = 6 --> Better than expected
Vacuole: 1 = 1 --> Inverted

The P. raikus has evolved a flagellum, chloroplasts, a cell wall, and a vacuole, all in one go! Except for the latter, which is a large transfer protein that expels waste from the cell. It's cell wall is thicker than the P. peksum's,  meaning that it has a higher defense against attackers.

Traits: Flagellum, chloroplasts, thick cell wall, waste transfer
Appearance: Green blob with flagellum

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2015, 10:23:39 PM »
Not sure if waste removal is good or bad at this point. But seeing some of the issues others are having I guess it's a net positive. I'd rather a big energy storage but still.

> Attempt to obtain mitochondria

+2 to Raitaki because it's too soon to go extinct. And I'm the least tasty treat.

Also I don't even know what's needed to break into the multicellurlar level, so don't expect me to shoot for that yet. So don't worry bout me nabbing that prize unless I do it by accident. I'll just get my tanky cell stable.

Also what do you mean 'have' to adapt to eat other species? I'm perfectly happy photosynthesizing here. [Two guesses what my next move is after mitochondria]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:36:35 PM by Raikaria »

LaserTurtle

• Master of the lurk
  • *sips tea*
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2015, 10:38:46 PM »
>hey, I got a flagellum day 2! Movement's totally in the cards!
>Ok, now I can develop some means of pressure equalization. And nothing spell equalization like forcibly ejecting extra fluid! Get some vacuoles up on duty for that.

EDIT: Oh, and +2 to whoever posts after me. +2 to DNAbc
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:07:30 PM by Failure McFailFace »

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2015, 11:02:55 PM »
>+2 to raitaki! Karma FTW

>develop better food filtrating mechanism, ability to form pseudopodia maybe to cannabalize other microorganisms?

doing food filtration, only one vote per post please
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:38:25 PM by Failure McFailFace »
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2015, 11:04:08 PM »
>Gain ability to transfer materials and stuff between cells
+2 Purvis

Wait a minute, aren't I already multicellular? :V
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:30:55 PM by PX »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2015, 11:25:41 PM »
It is time.

> Utilize the symbiotic relationship between my cell and Purvis's to divvy up the resources and functions needed for life.
> +2 to Purvis.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Raitaki

• 雷滝
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »
Yikes. That hurts. At least now I kind of count as a glass cannon, right? o vo;;;

>Let's try turning this around! Develop a new cell membrane with unorthodox chemical composition to make myself more resistant to both my own and potential predator's attempts at digestion!

>+2 for Raikaria :3 Let's form the Rai Armyyyyyy
[08:23 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki on a scale of 1 to 10 your current mafia game play is annoying as fuck
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- Raitaki, if both of us ended up as mafia
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- I would be so angry
[08:25 pm]  Aristocrat -- that I will snap and give into my rage

Neovereign

• Greatest Fairy
  • Everything will be daijoubu... hopefully
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2015, 11:48:46 PM »
Jensokian...Jensokian...Jensokyo   :o
>Do do do dodo do dodo do, Do do do dodo do dodo do
Spoiler:
(possible forshadowing...?)
>Develop faithful relationships to other cells as if they were knights to a king. Hopefully I can succeed where others have failed...
>Edit: Oops forgot to decide my +2... umm, Px

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2015, 12:53:42 AM »
>Develop lysosomes to break down these parasites into something I can use. (As well as destroy any unwanted cell invaders in the future.)
> +2 to Miniking.

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2015, 01:35:15 AM »
So, I need a way to sense if what my cell is touching is another cell, or just a wall... Or a way to really know where it is going...

>Cell wall and Capsule time for some added defense. If I can't do both, then just the cell wall for now

>-1 to Raitaki
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 06:08:45 PM by Failure McFailFace »
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?