Author Topic: To all artists: How do you get yourself known enough to get commissions?  (Read 2309 times)

Hiirana-chan

• Hurp Derpington.
  • Myonmyonmyon~
I mean..I wanna give it a go. I won't charge much, but LuluSeason on dA charges like..$50 is for her work (which is amazing).
I'm thinking of just starting small, like keychains or something of the sort.
Any advice for a freelance artist?
I'd like to think of myself as an artist.
www.hiirana-chan.deviantart.com

:U

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
Well first off, You have to make good art. If some artist likes your work, or even posts a comment on it, and they're well known, You're bound to get at least one more person viewing you, maybe 20, maybe 100. Who knows? You really just need to make good art, or in this case, crafts.

Another thing is a sense of how much what piece should be. Depending on how good pictures/crafts you make, How big or small they are, What materials you use, etc etc, You should price it accordingly. I'd suggest asking up any person you know thats commissions things for a good price range.

Hiirana-chan

• Hurp Derpington.
  • Myonmyonmyon~
Ohh, okay! ^^ Thanks!
That helped a lot.
 :V I know I have a lot of work to do with my art, lol.
And my bad habit of ragequitting for a month doesn't help at all XD

Drake

Honestly most artist communities are at the point where commissions are self-propelled. If you're good enough at your work and people recognize it, somebody might be willing to pay you to make stuff. The only real necessities are that 1, you're good at your work; and 2, people know who you are. On the flip side, you can go out and fulfill requests. Even unpaid, it's one of the best ways to get your name out, which is fundamental to people thinking you're good enough to pay to do a request.

And no offense, but whenever artists ask how to get commissions as you are, it reeks of "I want money for this plzzplzplz". Artists see other really good artists that get commissions, and they go "why haven't I gotten commissions" and then they go comparing themselves to others of similar talent and go "wtf I should be paid for this". At that point it devolves into a desire and you go around asking "how i get comishun" because you deserve it or something. But it doesn't work that way. If your name is put out there (mostly by other people!), you're talented, active and your work is unique enough, it might happen eventually.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Hiirana-chan

• Hurp Derpington.
  • Myonmyonmyon~
 :ohdear:  Oops...I didn't intend to come off as a commission whore or anything..I just wanted to see if I could get some money to save up for senior prom and whatnot. XD I in no way whatsoever think I'm anywhere near worthy of getting paid more than $10..""OTL
><" sorry if I seemed obnoxious or something.
Thank you for the input, though. ^^ it helped!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
You mentioned LuluSeason.
I just wanted to point out she works like shit, outputting art like every other day, livestreaming all the time, as I'm sure you know.
I guess it takes a lot of dedication. Like E-Mouse said, she tries her best to make herself known, first and foremost.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .