Author Topic: EVERYONE REPORT FOR DUTY! IT?S TIME TO ROCK!  (Read 43246 times)

EVERYONE REPORT FOR DUTY! IT?S TIME TO ROCK!
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:33:28 AM »

Welcome all artists and non-artists alike to the grand opening of the Maidens of the Kaleidoscope Visual Novel Project!

What is this project? Basically a chance for the community of MotK to work together and create Visual Novels over the course of the summer! (From now until the end of August)

Originally I made this thread just to see if I could recruit a few artists to help me draw, but the amount of interest far exceeded my expectations. So for the past few weeks I?ve been thinking about how I was going to coordinate so many people for a small project like this. Of course there?s the chance that only a few of the people who offered their help would actually end up helping, but still I didn?t want to leave anyone out.

So here?s the deal: Anyone is allowed to help out, regardless of your skill level or artistic medium. How will this work out? Instead of striving simply striving for the goal, I want to focus just as much on the process of getting there. I want this to be a chance for anyone who is willing to put in the effort not only to be a part of the project, but to also improve on their own skills at the same time.
But how the hell is this going to be done? Everyone knows that the life and work of an artist is anything but easy. Creating art takes both time and motivation. If it weren?t for these obstacles then we?d all be happily chasing our dreams of being great artists. But reality hits us with many complications that take up our time, and when there?s finally nothing in our way, our greatest enemy becomes our own lack of motivation.

That?s where this project comes in. For the issue of time: I?ll be handling all time management and coordination of the project itself. You tell me your available work times and together we work out reasonable deadlines. Make sure you can meet each deadline though. While there won?t be any penalties or anything like that, simply ignoring deadlines defeats their purpose. However it is understandable that real life gets in the way of deadlines. What I will ask for however, is that if anything pops up you inform me as soon as you can. Communication is key.
For the issue of motivation: many of you already have great artistic potential, but lack the reason, confidence, or simply direction to bring out that potential. For this project I?ll be giving out small tasks on a consistent basis for each of you to work on, so you'll always have something to work on and that thing will be in the Visual Novel. However it won?t be as simple as ?okay work on this until it?s done and that?s it.? There will be a reasonable level of quality that is required for something to be included in the final product of a game, so expect to do many revisions and refinements of your work. Remember, we?re not just trying to get this done; we?re trying to get better as well.

The number one thing that we all need to focus on in order to be successful as a group is communication. The biggest reason a group project falls apart is lack of proper communication. As such, I?m going to try to maintain a high level of communication at all times over the course of this project. However, communication is a two way street as they say, so you'll have responsibility of being easily available for contact.

Now I?m not going to make any promises of instant success here. You'll need to work hard and I'm going to work you hard. I'll do my best to help keep you motivated and organized, so I'm going to expect that you work hard from your side as well. And even then with all things said and done there are still many ways things can end in failure. Still if nothing else, hopefully we?ll still have fun, improve our skills, and tighten the bonds of our community. /extremecheeseending BV

Now all that is out of the way, here?s what you have to do if you want to sign up! Just post the following information.

Nickname: The one that you want to go by for this project and for me to address you as

Abilities: The kind of art you can do including but not limited to: drawing portraits (complete or just line art), drawing backgrounds, photography (for backgrounds and stuff), digital coloring, digital manipulation (Photoshop skills), GUI art (buttons, windows, stuff like that), composing music, recording sound effects (need these too!), and voice acting (lower priority but still a possibility!).

Contact info: Very important if we want to have proper communication! MSN, Skype, facebook, e-mail, whatever! As long as it?s something that you use/check frequently so that we can always have a good way of staying connected.

Alright let's all do this! 8)

Edit: A few of you were wondering what stories we were planning to work on, so here's the list of what I have planned so far:
A remake of Down on the Corner: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,5728.0.html
Douchebag in Gensokyo: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,3357.0.html
Touhou Love Stories - The Bad Ends: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Fiction_found_on_imageboards
Hourai?s noose - 200 words
Remilia - 350 words
Rumia - 500 words
Suika - 600 words
Ran - 800 words
Marisa - 1000 words
Nameless Fairy - 1100 words
Alice - 1300 words
Cirno - 1400 words
Mystia - 1400 words
Youmu - 1400 words
And this one just because - 1000 words
touhou super sonic love adventure: by popular demand :V

Yeah they're all perverted comic stories :V I picked them because they're most likely to have a stronger impact on the touhou community/internet population.

Edit 2: As for my own contact info, you can contact me on this site, on Skype (I'm also Suikama there), or through email/msn/wlm (aaronmaphone at hotmail.com)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:48:45 PM by Suikama Dash »

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Re: EVERYONE REPORT FOR DUTY! IT?S TIME TO ROCK!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
Depending on what is needed, I could help with photography for backgrounds. I have quick access to scenery reaching from the old baroque buildings in my city to nice riverside views to woods to mountain-like surroundings. I have a rather good camera ready as well.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:37:13 AM »
Uh, I have a *tiny bit* of Flash, Photoshop and Fireworks skillz, and you know my art but you also know how much I take to get something digital done.
My tablet is also kinda fucked up, I've been drawing stuff just on paper recently. It's much more fun too.
Problem with that is my mother took the scanner away, so I can really scan anything, and do any kind of digital work on it so :fail:

I dunno how I can help.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
has there already been decided what the story of the vn willl be?
because I've got a pretty original storyline right here, about which you probably already know, Suikama.

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:26 AM »
Hmm, whilst I can't do anything for the art side of things, I did note the mention of composing music.

For that part, I'd have to know what sort of story I'd be working with so I can work from that. I also noted voice acting (which it is, as you said, a lower priority) which I wouldn't mind putting myself up for... I say that now. XD

Either way, I'm quite interested. ^^

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
I can do SFX [depending on what kind of SFX you want, I may or may not be able to deliver], photography (depending on what kind of photos you want), POSSIBLY drawing backgrounds (depending on what kind of backgrounds you want) though that will mostly be limited to concept art - I'm horrible with digital colouring and rendering - and that'll probably be the extent of it.

Feel free to contact me via Skype and you can filch my other details (Such as FB, email, etc.) through there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:52:00 PM by Miyuka »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »
Quite interested in this.

I have experience in many graphics programs (Photoshop, Pixelmator, Paint.NET, GIMP, Flash), primarily with manipulation and pixel art.
I also draw on paper, but even though I have a tablet I tend to not draw directly into a program. Doesn't feel the same.

However, my interest lies more in the composing bit. I use Logic (general), Sonar (MIDI), and tend to write the main stuff in OpenMPT (tracker) or with a MIDI controller keyboard. I'd also like to know what will be in store so that I can get a good idea of what is expected here.

As for other things such as VA work, it seems interesting but I'll pass.

Feel free to e-mail me.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
Depending on what is needed, I could help with photography for backgrounds. I have quick access to scenery reaching from the old baroque buildings in my city to nice riverside views to woods to mountain-like surroundings. I have a rather good camera ready as well.
Sweet, although you didn't mention what's your prefered method of communication so I'm assuming it's PM. :V

Uh, I have a *tiny bit* of Flash, Photoshop and Fireworks skillz, and you know my art but you also know how much I take to get something digital done.
My tablet is also kinda fucked up, I've been drawing stuff just on paper recently. It's much more fun too.
Problem with that is my mother took the scanner away, so I can really scan anything, and do any kind of digital work on it so :fail:

I dunno how I can help.
You can be the mascot :smug: Well it's up to you if you want to help out. You can try drawing if you really want, or you can help with other stuff that might pop up later.

has there already been decided what the story of the vn willl be?
because I've got a pretty original storyline right here, about which you probably already know, Suikama.
You mean Duality right? How far is the script on that? Right now I'm using sutff that's already written so that I can just focus on art and programming, but if you guys finish the script then I could help out.

Hmm, whilst I can't do anything for the art side of things, I did note the mention of composing music.

For that part, I'd have to know what sort of story I'd be working with so I can work from that. I also noted voice acting (which it is, as you said, a lower priority) which I wouldn't mind putting myself up for... I say that now. XD

Either way, I'm quite interested. ^^
The kinds of stories we'll be doing are mostly going to be Touhou fanfiction that's already written by members on this board or other boards. We'll discuss more about the kinds of music needed specifically once I have storyboards worked out. But an example one of the things we'll be working on is a remake of this: (mildly NSFW btw) I'll update the OP with more on what we'll be doing in a bit.
Also it would be helpful if you gave your prefered method of communication. :V

I can do SFX [depending on what kind of SFX you want, I may or may not be able to deliver], photography (depending on what kind of photos you want), POSSIBLY drawing backgrounds (depending on what kind of backgrounds you want) though that will mostly be limited to concept art - I'm horrible with digital colouring and rendering - and that'll probably be the extent of it.

Feel free to contact me via Skype and you can filch my other details (Such as FB, email, etc.) through there.
Alright what's your Skype name? TranceHime?

Quite interested in this.

I have experience in many graphics programs (Photoshop, Pixelmator, Paint.NET, GIMP, Flash), primarily with manipulation and pixel art.
I also draw on paper, but even though I have a tablet I tend to not draw directly into a program. Doesn't feel the same.

However, my interest lies more in the composing bit. I use Logic (general), Sonar (MIDI), and tend to write the main stuff in OpenMPT (tracker) or with a MIDI controller keyboard. I'd also like to know what will be in store so that I can get a good idea of what is expected here.

As for other things such as VA work, it seems interesting but I'll pass.

Feel free to e-mail me.
As I said before to Tamashii, we'll be doing mostly Touhou fanfiction stories. I'll add more info on that to the OP.

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »
Sweet, although you didn't mention what's your prefered method of communication so I'm assuming it's PM. :V
I wanted to make sure that what I can do is useful first.

So now for the other info:

Nickname: Gonna stick with "Sakana" here :V

Abilities: Background Photography

Contact info: PM on the forum, moemoesakana on Skype (not using that often, but probably gonna be on regularly), and I'm always around on PPIRC in the PSL-chan.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
Hey hey, I'm interested about joining up here.

Nickname: Aoshi would be just fine.

Abilities: I do all of my work on Photoshop, including line art and coloring; but my work mainly focuses on people/portraits.

Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

wooterz

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
IS THIS MY BIG CHANCE TO BECOME A VOICE ACTOR? probably not

I'm kind of interested, but I don't know about it...

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
I wanted to make sure that what I can do is useful first.

So now for the other info:

Nickname: Gonna stick with "Sakana" here :V

Abilities: Background Photography

Contact info: PM on the forum, moemoesakana on Skype (not using that often, but probably gonna be on regularly), and I'm always around on PPIRC in the PSL-chan.
Photographers will be helpful, but aren't in as much demand as artists or musicans so I probably won't need your help until later. Do keep a lookout for potentially good photoop scenery though

Hey hey, I'm interested about joining up here.

Nickname: Aoshi would be just fine.

Abilities: I do all of my work on Photoshop, including line art and coloring; but my work mainly focuses on people/portraits.

Hooray, our first digital aritst! :V I'll contact you more info once I get things set up.

IS THIS MY BIG CHANCE TO BECOME A VOICE ACTOR? probably not

I'm kind of interested, but I don't know about it...
Hell yeah your voice is awesome BV But yeah you can take your time thinking about it since I'm focusing on artists/musicians first

Also to everyone else, I'm trying to come up with a team name, so if you have any suggestions you can dish em out here: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,9185.0.html

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
You can be the mascot :smug:
Let's do this :smug:

Well it's up to you if you want to help out.
No, shit :derp:

Oh, and you totally need dusty as VA. Seriously.
                                                                                   .

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
Photographers will be helpful, but aren't in as much demand as artists or musicans so I probably won't need your help until later. Do keep a lookout for potentially good photoop scenery though
Yeah, that is a valid point. I will just collect shots and put them in an online-album, and you can see if there will be something useful in there when the time comes.  :3

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »
Oh, and you totally need dusty as VA. Seriously.
Too bad Touhou is almost all females. :derp:

Yeah, that is a valid point. I will just collect shots and put them in an online-album, and you can see if there will be something useful in there when the time comes.  :3
Oh that's an excellent idea! :D

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: EVERYONE REPORT FOR DUTY! IT’S TIME TO ROCK!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 09:13:12 PM »
we'll be doing mostly Touhou fanfiction stories. I'll add more info on that to the OP.
Sounds cool then. Gives me a try at narrative composition.

Nickname: The_EP. We don't need that exclamation point.
Abilities: Music composition with Logic, Sonar, OpenMPT. Also a bit of pen-and-paper illustration and Pixelmator/Gimp/Paint.NET graphics manipulation. Still practising with drawing Touhou characters, so....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:52:46 PM by Okuu's ~ wait, WHAT Photo Lab? »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »
Paint.NET graphics manipulation.
Oh yeah, I guess I can do that as well. See Roukan's Ask a Staffer for samples. Those Sangos are my creation, made from a scanned pencil-sketch by poringleaf. Also, my tuna avatars :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »
So
                                                                                   .

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 11:16:56 PM »
Roger! I already joined in that old thread, but I guess I'll have to introduce myself here too!
I go by the nickname of cYsmix, I'm an experienced arranger and have been making touhou remixes for about 4 years now. I'll be making music for this project I guess, but I'm kinda into drawing as well. I don't know if this VN will have original BGM or just touhou arranges, but I'm up for both. I've composed original songs before.
I'm a jack of all trades when it comes to music, I've made music in so many different genres that I can't really make up my mind of which genre I should stick to, most of my music is electro/trance music, but I've heard that fit well in VNs if I do it the right way!
That's it, I guess!

EDIT: You can find my music on my youtube channel if you wanna hear some of my works!

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »
most of my music is electro/trance music, but I've heard that fit well in VNs if I do it the right way!
Umineko is a great example of this

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 12:53:40 AM »
sup Suikama, let me write up my stuff formally:

Nickname: TranceHime

Abilities: SFX creation, background photography, voice acting

Contact Info:
SKYPE - inagaki-trance (VERY active)
MSN - loveshotdx@hotmail.com (not active)
YIM - efx.filena@yahoo.com (sort of active)
FB - contact me for further info
e-mail - contact me for further info

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

wooterz

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »
Hell yeah your voice is awesome BV But yeah you can take your time thinking about it since I'm focusing on artists/musicians first

well I need words to read if I'm ever going to do a voice so yeah :V

But what about Rinnosuke!? Or Marisa

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 04:33:25 AM »
Hmm, think you could do the main character in Douchebag in Gensokyo?

wooterz

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »
Hmm, think you could do the main character in Douchebag in Gensokyo?
I uh, don't think I can do a Brucie-like voice :<

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 05:40:05 AM »
I uh, don't think I can do a Brucie-like voice :<
Alright well I'll keep on the lookout for something that fits your voice

Ihavenoidea

• Gensokyo's Navigator
  • I find dodging danmaku very entertaining
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
I'm kinda interested to join :3  this is my first time here in this forum xD

though mind you I tend to get lazy

Nickname:Idea s'okay I guess xD

Abilities: mostly drawings,paints etc, I can do SAI, PS and corel, vector to. xD but I'm not that good at drawing poses
annndddd I still have to practice correct anatomy ASKLAJSKAHLDJasd

Contact info: either PM or email is good.

:derp:

Contract?

- kyuubey

ruikomatsu

• Let's fire it up.
  • Would you like some tea?
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
Sorry for the late rep.

Anyway, I'm game. Taku might not be here but she told me she's also willing to help.
The DotS thread is deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaad ; w ;

Pixiv     |     My Other Deviantart     |     Tumblr     |    MyAnimeList

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »
If I'm just allowed to draw on paper then I'm in.
If not then I might do it.
I just dont have much skills with drawing digitally.
And I can't draw hands and feet.
If so:
Nickname:omnomnomnomnom or nom is fine.
Abilities: explained already.
Contact: I am on the forums everyday. I also have msn but I'm not always on that. and e-mil is fine too.

wooterz

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »
Alright well I'll keep on the lookout for something that fits your voice

touhou super sonic love adventure

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »
touhou super sonic love adventure
I could totally make that soundtrack happen.