Author Topic: [Music] The Roland TTS-1 Remake Project  (Read 47389 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Because Win7 computer fails miserably, I've opted to continue with History of the Moon (Eirin theme) via Logic, and put Necrofantasia and the rest on the side until the system is fixed.

Initial impression - damnit, Logic does not come with ANY solo brass or string instruments, just sections >:( . Time to bring on the Soundfonts (THFont likely). Plus the 12 used MIDI tracks are sometimes too much for my 2009 13" MacBook Pro's measly CPU to handle without chokes (time to get a new 17" with its quad core CPU).
Also, the TTS-1 is leagues easier to play with than the EXS24 sampler in Logic, which a ton of the preset patches use.

On the bright side, I get to learn this DAW very well, which will secure me to use this program more often in the future. As for Sonar, well, I consider it a step-up measure for MIDI-based work before actual hardware is involved.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Spaztique

• Writer, Animator, Easy Mode Advocate
Re: [Music] The Roland TTS-1 Remake Project *Updated Tuesdays*
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
It's Tuesday, and that means uploading time! This week, I have what I consider my best remake yet: "Scarlet Beyond A Crimson Dream".
Making Touhou music and actually-pretty-decent Walfas animations since 2011!

Spaztique

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 05:49:06 AM »
Bad News: I absolutely cannot find or extract the midi for "Gensokyo Past and Present", which sucks because I really wanted to do a remake of that song.
Good News: I'll save that as my tenth remake, which I will do completely from scratch.
Also Good News: I got a jump-start on "Retribution For Eternal Night ~ Imperishable Night", and it will be out on time.

Drake

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 06:57:13 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately ZUN stopped including MIDI options after the PoFV demo, so Yuuka's theme can't be ripped out (it isn't even included).

By the way, I've been a fan since you started, and really you've done an excellent job so far. Does your end product come out simply as a MIDI file using TTS-1 as a canvas, or do you do pitch editing and such outside the MIDI data? I have an SD-20, so it'd be neat to see how a proper MIDI sounds on it.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 07:11:16 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately ZUN stopped including MIDI options after the PoFV demo, so Yuuka's theme can't be ripped out (it isn't even included).

By the way, I've been a fan since you started, and really you've done an excellent job so far. Does your end product come out simply as a MIDI file using TTS-1 as a canvas, or do you do pitch editing and such outside the MIDI data? I have an SD-20, so it'd be neat to see how a proper MIDI sounds on it.
I've experimented with other songs, and it seems like this is all done with MIDI parameters. If it was edited outside then it wouldn't be quite as accurate....
The end result, while mostly MIDI data, can be processed on the TTS-1 (along with other synths and patterns if placed) and bounced as audio.

Haven't gotten around to more of this due to RL stuff and VSTi conflicts.

As for playing MIDIs on the SD-20, IIRC it should be connected to the system and then using a MIDI device selector program (needed for Vista and 7 users) to select the SD-20. From there the MIDI can be played back on the synth module. Of course, if you have DAW software then importing the MIDI and setting the output synth for every track to the SD-20 works too.
Bad command or file name

Drake

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
er i know how to play midis off my own machine
I was just asking if it would be possible to get the same volume/etc clarity just by plugging in the midi Spaz recreates.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Spaztique

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 07:51:28 AM »

First, thanks for listening so far. Second, not a single sound was edited outside the midi data except for the mastering, which simply tightens everything up and boosts the signal. If I have to correct the pitch of an instrument or the track, I just change it on the TTS-1 itself. If I have to transpose something, I'll just edit the midi data. None of the songs were edited after the final mastering. (Perhaps for my next remake, I'll record some of the sound design.)

With the right tweaking, you'll get the same results I've been getting. After all, that is the point of all this.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
I was just asking if it would be possible to get the same volume/etc clarity just by plugging in the midi Spaz recreates.
Ah.

Assuming Spaztique's MIDIs were created after resetting the values (to keep the ZUN defaults from constantly overwriting custom TTS-1 settings), we'd have to set new default patches and parameters again in Sonar before exporting to MIDI or we'll get 16 Piano 1 tracks :o.

First, thanks for listening so far. Second, not a single sound was edited outside the midi data except for the mastering, which simply tightens everything up and boosts the signal. If I have to correct the pitch of an instrument or the track, I just change it on the TTS-1 itself. If I have to transpose something, I'll just edit the midi data. None of the songs were edited after the final mastering. (Perhaps for my next remake, I'll record some of the sound design.)

With the right tweaking, you'll get the same results I've been getting. After all, that is the point of all this.
I know a few record their DAWs processing the music as the video, so that can be an option.

It'd also be nice to have Sonar projects (Cakewalk users) and MIDIs (everyone else) bundled as well for the sake of other experimenters.
Bad command or file name

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »

If he makes GM2 MIDIs available, then you could just playback the files and they would sound almost exactly like in the videos. There would be some differences here and there though, because the SD-20 has shitty hardware and a 64 voice polyphony limit.

If you know how to use SysEx, you can also make the MIDIs yourself by using the SD-20 Editor and a sequencer. You could actually make them sound far more accurate since you have access to the Solo preset set.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:29:40 PM by The only Master Bigode in the world »

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
naha
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:21:08 PM by Not Bigode »

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »
Just get the real synth.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:21:42 PM by Not Bigode »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »
NIce drumset! Catch is that although it is a VSTi/DXi, it is apparently hardcoded so that it only works with Cubase, leaving both me and Spaztique (Sonar users) out in the dark.

On the other hand, given how similar the drums sound to the Logic defaults...I guess I could use those instead. As for Spaz, well....
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:22:52 AM by Miniscule Meiling's Picture Session »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23:56 AM »
NIce drumset! Catch is that although it is a VSTi/DXi, it is apparently hardcoded so that it only works with Cubase, leaving both me and Spaztique (Sonar users) out in the dark.

Now that you mention it... yeah, it doesn't seem to work on anything but Cubase. :V
Well, that sucks.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:19 AM »
Now that you mention it... yeah, it doesn't seem to work on anything but Cubase. :V
Well, that sucks.
Indeed...but we are a bit closer at finding ZUN's PCB drumkits! Plus since he's a Cubase user, the LM7 is plausible.
Bad command or file name

Spaztique

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 07:03:56 AM »
Amazing remake, Bigode. Though, since that song is next on my queue, I guess I have no choice but to try and top that; with or without the amazing drums.

On the other hand, given how similar the drums sound to the Logic defaults...I guess I could use those instead. As for Spaz, well....

I could use another drum set/sampler if I were going for more than one VST, but I've been challenging myself to using only the TTS-1.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:23:48 AM by Spaztique »

Spaztique

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 05:32:53 AM »
Flying through a bamboo forest? Bad idea.
Flying through a bamboo forest at night? Really bad idea.
Flying through a bamboo forest at night while fighting off scores of fairies? Really really bad idea.
Flying through a bamboo forest at night while fighting off scores of fairies while pumping "Retribution for Eternal Night ~ Imperishable Night"? Let's rock!

The new remake is up, and with new production tactics! Read the annotations to find out what I did. Let me know what you think of them.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:11 AM »
Flying through a bamboo forest? Bad idea.
Flying through a bamboo forest at night? Really bad idea.
Flying through a bamboo forest at night while fighting off scores of fairies? Really really bad idea.
Flying through a bamboo forest at night while fighting off scores of fairies while pumping "Retribution for Eternal Night ~ Imperishable Night"? Let's rock!

The new remake is up, and with new production tactics! Read the annotations to find out what I did. Let me know what you think of them.
Crazy accurate piano~!

Might give that recommended read a try.

EDIT: Plus annotations don't work if using the HTML5 viewer on Opera. Just saying...since I prefer hard-coded comments over annotations....
Bad command or file name

Spaztique

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »
I added an annotation transcript to the video for those unable to read the annotations. If anyone wants a transcript on the other videos, let me know here or post a comment on the video saying you want transcripts.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 07:06:11 AM »
Thanks for that.

Interesting take on compression from that book, I must say. I know many of my own works had this conflicting problem, even with audio volume tweaking...this might be it!

As for the "find out what ZUN uses" part, I think we should soon migrate to Cubase as well since he uses that DAW. The TTS-1 (maybe, and if not there's still the Hyper Canvas) can be used there as well....
But in my case I think I'll stay with Sonar and Logic now that I have a DAW that will play with Windows MIDI softsynths (one thing Logic does not do, obviously).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:08:40 AM by Miniscule Meiling's Picture Session »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 06:43:48 PM »
Considering how expensive Cubase is, you're probably better off saving for a real SD-90 instead. (^^;;

About the Mariachi Tp, assuming the patch in the Roland Fantom is the same as the one in the SR-JV80-18 expansion board...
It's not newer or older than the Romantic Tp, they are actually both available in the SR-JV80-18 (as well as in the SD-90, which was released a year later). I think they even use the same waveforms (Tp RomanticA/B/C), so you could probably make a Romantic Tp patch for the Fantom. edit: The Fantom waveform is different.

As for the opening synth in Retribution for the Eternal Night, someone on a japanese board suggested that it might be a custom Synth1 pad.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:25:56 PM by Not Bigode »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »
Considering how expensive Cubase is, you're probably better off saving for a real SD-90 instead. (^^;;

About the Mariachi Tp, assuming the patch in the Roland Fantom is the same as the one in the SR-JV80-18 expansion board...
It's not newer or older than the Romantic Tp, they are actually both available in the SR-JV80-18 (as well as in the SD-90, which was released a year later). I think they even use the same waveforms (Tp RomanticA/B/C), so you could probably make a Romantic Tp patch for the Fantom.

As for the opening synth in Retribution for the Eternal Night, someone on a japanese board suggested that it might be a custom Synth1 pad.
Definitely the SD-90 over Cubase in my case ^^'. It'll get part of my MIDI work over to Logic as I intend to do.

Synth1? Not surprised if that was used. As for the Fantom patches, this is a bit interesting.
Bad command or file name

Spaztique

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »
I absolutely love Synth1, and as I was trying to make that opening synth, I kept thinking, "This would be a zillion times easier in Synth1. Damn you self-imposed challenge!"

Also, anybody know of any good freeware software for desktop recording so I can record the next production session? I've been trying to use CamStudio, but it's unable to record system audio (I'd feed the output back into the microphone jack, but I don't have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm plug to do it).

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2011, 12:38:10 AM »
I have the full version of FRAPS for that but that's not freeware (free version limits recording time, format, etc.).

Also seconding love for Synth1, as well as the similar Superwave P8 and VOPM.
Bad command or file name

Spaztique

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
I kind of neglected last-minute work on "Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple" after getting caught up on my other project, Touhou (Air Combat Sim) Project, for so long. If the song is not up first thing tomorrow morning, it'll be done tomorrow night.

Speaking of which, if you make 3d models, check out the thread for the Touhou (Air Combat Sim) Project. The link is in my signature with updates as to what I'm doing next.

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 08:55:59 AM »
It may have been asked before, but does anybody have an idea on what ZUN uses for his Distortion and Overdriven guitars? I can never seem to get the right sound..

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
It may have been asked before, but does anybody have an idea on what ZUN uses for his Distortion and Overdriven guitars? I can never seem to get the right sound..

SD-90/80's guitar amp/distortion simulator MFX.

Spaztique

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:24 AM »
Sorry for the lateness! Here's "Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple".

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
spaz you missed a day ALL OF MY HATE

No but seriously this is actually pretty good. Can I make a request? If so, Kids Festival ~ Innocent Treasures. Because ya know these songs are amazing and I'm sure you can do it

Spaztique

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:57 AM »
spaz you missed a day ALL OF MY HATE

No but seriously this is actually pretty good. Can I make a request? If so, Kids Festival ~ Innocent Treasures. Because ya know these songs are amazing and I'm sure you can do it

I'll save that one for a special occasion (particularly since it has accompanying lyrics *hint hint*).

Anyway, a few things came up this week, so "The Fantastic Legend Of Tohno" is going to be a bit late. (I'm tempted to take a break, but I don't want to mess up my regular schedule). I'll publish a little something extra to make up for it.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2011, 01:51:37 AM »
Do you still take requests?
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder