Author Topic: On fixing errors in learning to draw  (Read 30270 times)

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
Re: On fixing errors in learning to draw
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 05:47:48 PM »
I don't know if this will work for you but, try making a few quick doodles with a marker. It can be either the small felt tip one or the large chisel tipped one. As you can see where this is going, obviously you can't erase marker lines, so the lines you'll put down are there are on the paper are there whether you wanted them there or not. Basically this is just helping you live a little with the lines you put down, and not have you erase every little mistake you make. (Besides, some people make several versions of a drawing, refining the drawing little by little until you get the version of the complete product.)

Ah, and don't think too much about what you're drawing. It's supposed to be fun and derpy.  :3
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
Thanks for giving advice, I'll try it out :) But, what do you mean by doodles? Do I just make a bunch of curved lines, or do I try making a lineart of something I'd also be willing to draw with just pencil and eraser?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:41:28 PM by TERMspeon »

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »
It can be both. You can just draw simple shapes, lines or faces. You can do line art too, just don't try and put so much detail into it; it's like a rough sketch/idea to work off of.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Teewee

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Understood :) Thanks!

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 02:16:26 PM »
I get a little of it, but I'm still really confused on applying the advice. Anyone know how I can make myself "enjoy drawing for the process, not the result"? I'd also like to know how to really tolerate making constant mistakes; I can't help but feel really demoralized when I make so many mistakes in one sitting. Also, how do you guys approach drawing? I try to start all calm-like with calm music playing, but that doesn't work for me.

I don't suppose you have a tablet or anything? Repeated erasing on pencil and paper is rather frustrating so yeah- doodle with just a pen or marker.

I myself draw whenever I'm bored or feel like drawing! I can draw anywhere, since it's for leisure. A tip would be to draw something not so stressful? Start off with a simple head or so, and then doodle silly stuff like a sanae head with tentacles for a body--

uh.

yeahhhhh ^q^;;;;;

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Teewee

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
Lol. I do have a tablet, and I've been trying to make myself using it become a habit. I've already moved past drawing simple heads, though. It's mainly learning to draw a variety of other things (as well as applying shading) that are my main problems.

pineyappled

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »
Like I said, post a sample so we can see where you are.

Teewee

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 05:41:54 PM »
I would, but my camera and scanner are low-quality so all I can do is try to redo my drawings with my tablet. It's...gonna take a while ._.  I have some other method that might work, so I'll try it later.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Remember to keep it simple. Start with the most abstract shapes, try to spend a minute or two tops. Recall that the body comes from simpler shapes; so, with the head, everything starts with the ball-and-cross.

Draw a bunch of balls and crosses, facing every direction you can think of. Do hundreds of them at half a minute each until you can point that ball in any direction you want and it comes naturally. Draw cubes in perspective. Keep your life drawings to simple objects like cups and AC adapters. At this stage, the worst thing you can do is overthink.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Teewee

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
Ok, thanks :) Also, the method for getting a pic on the net i got worked; I just had to darken lines enough for the camera to see. Here's my drawing of my NDS. It ended up looking like a DSi XL o.o;

pineyappled

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »
is your ds a square

Teewee

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »
Nope. It's a Lite. As you can see, I drew it rather off-proportion ^^;

Teewee

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »
I made this recently. It's my first time making a more full composition, and I tried shading. The only problem I have is the shading, which looks off. Also, the thing behind the lake is supposed to be water flowing down, with a rock wall visible behind it. That doesn't look right either. I'd appreciate help with improving those :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:11:00 PM by TERMspeon »