Author Topic: Art tips thread!  (Read 35387 times)

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
Re: Art tips thread!
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
Look at my art thread for how I do hair.
I just need to learn how to make it look better and more flowy. Especially when they're wearing something like headphones.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »
I think it's looking alright so far. The folds and creases are a bit over the place though, the buttons down the middle are a little bit off center and the shoulder parts are too connected to the body, they need something like a crease in between them to make it look more natural.

I need some tips on hair and how to make my hair flow, I can't seem to get it right.
Also I need to learn how to relax my hand so I can draw lighter lines (though this could come with some more practice).

Thanks for the feedback ^_^ Yeah, I should pay more attention to where I put my folds. I'll make it look more natural for the new version :) but what do you mean, a crease in between the shoulder parts and the center part? I don't get it :/ I'd like an edit of the pic so I get what you mean, if its ok with you. I'd really appreciate it!

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 04:56:10 AM »
Here are two ways (depending on the outfit), but keep in note that the Green lines would normally be straighter, but I didn't want them to go over the red lines.
[attach=1]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:57:59 AM by J.O.B »

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback ^_^ Yeah, I should pay more attention to where I put my folds. I'll make it look more natural for the new version :) but what do you mean, a crease in between the shoulder parts and the center part? I don't get it :/ I'd like an edit of the pic so I get what you mean, if its ok with you. I'd really appreciate it!

There are two important things to know about the shoulder area, when it comes to clothing.

First, on most shirts, the sleeve is a separate piece of cloth from the rest of the shirt, sewn on along a line running from the elbow to the outside of the shoulder. Look down at your shirt now, and you'll probably see the seam. You don't necessarily have to draw in that seam all the time, but it's important to know it's there. I've highlighted it in blue in the following illustration:

Second and more importantly, there's always some spare cloth under the armpit. That cloth is necessary for the wearer to be able to raise her arm. However, when her arm is lowered (i.e. most of the time,) that extra cloth bunches up and creates folds that radiate out from the armpit. I've highlighted those in red. Again, you don't have to draw in a lot of folds, but you need at least one to break up the white space and create the illusion of actual cloth hanging over the skin.

Hope that helps!

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:40 AM »
Thanks guys, you're a great help :) I think I understand what you guys mean. I'll show the next version colored so you can give feedback on my coloring/shading too, if you don't mind ^_^

Oh, and I'd like some tips on making my lines cleaner and smoother.

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
I've recently been trying to draw medium length spiky hair that sticks up at the top, but I found it really hard to do, anybody have any tips?

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2011, 10:46:22 PM »
I need help on face perspective. Like, if a character is facing slightly to the left/right, how would I draw the eye furthest away from me? Especially if the character is looking forward.
Something on face-shading would be helpful too.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2011, 08:09:26 AM »
I need help on face perspective. Like, if a character is facing slightly to the left/right, how would I draw the eye furthest away from me? Especially if the character is looking forward.

In words, I think my best tip is to make the eye seem thinner. Since your current visible near eye is larger, the next one should be as if the eye is thinner and centered.

Still however, I will try to draw an example but I need time, scanner etc.
It depend how you want to do hair, you can see how I sketch it out here although I haven't got into colouring it or anything yet.

Eh, nicely planned hair!
I don't think much for hair, I just draw them naturally, many people tell me I draw some pretty hair, but imo it is the messiest part of my art, because all I did was make noodle lines and connect at the tip.... orz....
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »

Now, I'm not the best at this myself, but I can give you the theory. Executing it properly is the hard part.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
^ Satori eye!

Seriously nice tutorial, as usual :3
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »
I need help in drawing wings , like Remi's Bat Wings or Aya's ones , especially the Remi's wings , I always ended up failing to draw them , especially in folded position.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
I need help in drawing wings , like Remi's Bat Wings or Aya's ones , especially the Remi's wings , I always ended up failing to draw them , especially in folded position.

Here, a quick bat wings tutorial. apologies for the handwriting. I'll probably make one for Aya's wings later if this one's any good.

Edit: the thing's bloody huge at full size, apologies, I'd replace it with a smaller one but can't :V
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:23:28 PM by Vyrien »

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
Now, I'm not the best at this myself, but I can give you the theory. Executing it properly is the hard part.

Thanks for the tutorial. Maybe my faces won't look as flat now.

Also I've realised that my heads seem to be rather large in relation to shoulder width a lot of the time, so could someone help me out on that too?

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
How on earth do I do proper skin tones?

Usually when I do digital coloring, everyone comes out as pale beauties Perhaps too pale.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »

Usually when I do digital coloring, everyone comes out as pale beauties Perhaps too pale.

I have the same problem
I think I am color blind.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »

Funny, I tend to do the opposite and colour with too much saturation (this is non-digital, though).
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »

Got an example? What's really helped me, at least, is understanding the depth of the contrast between the base skin tone and the shadow tone--both in terms of color intensity, and actual hue. Take this Sayori pic and the eyedropper tool...

The base skin tone is a very light yellow...

...but the actual shadow tone is pure red!

I think that contrast helps to create a healthy look.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
SO THAT'S HOW YOU SHADE awsfhadfkgbdkf
Yeah, thanks, I should be able to shade skin now.

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2011, 07:29:46 AM »
Got an example?

Yeah okay; So here's a coloring of someone else's line art. Usually I shade skin by choosing colors darker than the base color, which is probably where I went wrong with this.

So here, I tried using red. (Maybe I used too much.)  :V
 Actually, it looks much better. (Although I never would have thought to use red.)

Thank you very much for the tip~
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
I'm back again.
I'm trying to draw Kanako. The only thing is that I want to draw her with crossed legs and I can't figure out how it's supposed to look.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2011, 04:33:02 AM »
I'm trying to draw Kanako. The only thing is that I want to draw her with crossed legs and I can't figure out how it's supposed to look.
Don't worry, Glimmer, I'm trying it.

Meanwhile, does anyone know how to sharp contrast shade?
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
What do you mean by sharp contrast shade? Like only black and only white?

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2011, 06:52:02 AM »
What do you mean by sharp contrast shade? Like only black and only white?
More like this: this or this where the colors really stand out. Simply and stylishly.

And here's a really simple "tutorial" on the cross-legged thing. I'm not really an expert at this either. (can't seem to minimize attachments)
[attach=1]
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour