Author Topic: Art tips thread!  (Read 35219 times)

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
Art tips thread!
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
Post here to ask for tips on how to draw stuff. I myself have been having trouble drawing stuff, so I figured why not make a thread where people can ask for help? :P

I've been trying to draw character outfits to get their basic layouts (so I can design my own), and I started with hinanai tenshi's. I'm having trouble drawing the collar folds, though, like in this image. (booru)
I just don't know how drawing that sort of thing works. Could someone please give me tips on that? If you don't know what I mean, I can show a picture edit with an arrow pointing at it.

I'd appreciate any advice! ^_^

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
Re: Art tips thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »
I like the idea of this thread, it's like a giant tutorial.

If you give us a picture edit pointing arrow thing, I would be happy to help you, of course, I might not be the best person to get information from but we can try :3
Of course, drawing folds will differ from person to person with style anyway :P
Congregation of Impertinent Drama Queens.

Art threadLivestream | Pixiv

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:40:27 AM »
I think when it comes to drawing collar folds like that, I do it my way. But I can explain it in not my way.
I guess it's like doing a capital M. Then you put lines coming off from the 4 corners of the M (not counting middle), but these lines should curve around the neck (not too close).
That should be the basic way to do it I think. Try it for yourself and see if it works. Also, if you're going to put something in front of it then just rub it out.

pineyappled

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
Collars are a pain. I just stick big-ass ribbons in front of them and hide it like that. but don't do that seriously it looks terrible
If you just started drawing, maybe you should get one of those jointed wood things. They help a lot with anatomy and poses. They're not terribly expensive, either.

I've got a question of my own- When did you all start drawing and why? I was because I had some weird infatuation with Cardcaptor Sakura back when I was in fourth grade.

J.O.B

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:21:07 AM »
I started drawing maybe about two years ago. I think I started because I was kinda good despite not having practice. Though looking back I really lolsucked.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:30:25 AM »
If you just started drawing, maybe you should get one of those jointed wood things. They help a lot with anatomy and poses. They're not terribly expensive, either.
They're manikins. I HIGHLY recommend getting one for body and one for the hand. Works wonders.

I've got a question of my own- When did you all start drawing and why? I was because I had some weird infatuation with Cardcaptor Sakura back when I was in fourth grade.
I started drawing at first around 2004 amid an interest in manga-style, and thus I started learning that, sketching from various game manuals and JUMP issues at first. Now, however, I take in more aspects from Western cartooning, as well as traditional art practices and basic design tenets (going for substance over style here - too many illustrations online are all style).

The result is something that is mixed western and eastern styles - people of one region tend to call my work as being in the other's style.

Though looking back I really lolsucked.
We all say that for our past works. :V

For collar folds, I tend to use more of a U-style design to better follow the neck contour.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »
I started drawing dragons because I loved dragons and I drew nothing else but dragons and Godzilla since I was 5 (I'm 17 now lol). I only started drawing manga style two years ago because I watched Higurashi and thought it was epic.

Here's my question: If listening to music whilst drawing, what sort of music do you mainly listen to? For me it's usually remixes of Touhou tracks or Umineko music :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
Here's my question: If listening to music whilst drawing, what sort of music do you mainly listen to?
Whatever song fits my intended product's tone or mood, though often I ignore this and just play some Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, or Touhou metal arrange.

However, since I tend to compose as well, I usually don't listen to other music when drawing. I can add that in later.

Speaking of music, how about extending this thread to assist fellow musicians. composers, and remixers?

- In the drafting phase, I find it preferable to work in mono. Yes, it is surprisingly possible to pan in mono, but the idea here is to better assist with the mixing and balancing with other parts.
 - It is advisable to, when starting from scratch, just lay down the initial notes first then change instrumentation, effects, whatever. At least then you don't forget what you wanted to write whilst tweaking!
 - Speaking of fresh starts, writing songs is a bit easier when starting with the general chord progressions.
 - As a Logic user, remember that EVB3 (the organ synth) only responds on MIDI channels 1-3. Why that is the case, I will never know.

My question to the music crew: what got you to start playing/composing/remixing? For me, it was violin experience combined with a growing discontent for playing just what was written on the musical score and a like for game music.
Bad command or file name

J.O.B

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
Here's my question: If listening to music whilst drawing, what sort of music do you mainly listen to? For me it's usually remixes of Touhou tracks or Umineko music :V
I usually listen to normal Touhou music.

Also, I've been trying to make some songs but I just don't really know what to make or what sounds good. Any help for that?

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
Also, I've been trying to make some songs but I just don't really know what to make or what sounds good. Any help for that?
Start playing random notes on a keyboard (which type, well, depends on your setup) and something may come up.

A little alcohol also helps. :V
Bad command or file name

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
A little alcohol also helps. :V

I think this is excellent advice, and from past experience I have found it to aid in any endeavor undertaken.

J.O.B

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
I'm not exactly the drinking type :V
The thing is, I just don't know what to do. Sometimes I don't feel any inspiration or anything like that, and so I end up with nothing at all.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
I've been drawing since I was 4 years old (my dad taught me how to draw shapes and I went my own way with it from there), but I never started seriously until I got into High School. I never really had much of a reason when I was younger it was really just a way to pass the time and have fun with my creativity.

After I decided I wanted to use what art skills I had for a possible career, I decided to get serious and actually try to draw something.

Here's my question: If listening to music whilst drawing, what sort of music do you mainly listen to? For me it's usually remixes of Touhou tracks or Umineko music
Anything that's in my recent favorites, or whatever track gave me an idea to draw. This could be any track from any game or artist, so it's hard to say which ones I listen to the most for drawing.

As for me, I don't really have alot of pointers (I'm still learning myself, actually), unless you want to know how to draw plump characters :T
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
Can somebody please direct me to a tutorial of drawing hands? i have loads of trouble with huge/tiny fingers!

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
Can somebody please direct me to a tutorial of drawing hands? i have loads of trouble with huge/tiny fingers!

Here's a nice basic one to get you started (deviantart link), it helped me a little bit back when I was starting so it should be good for you if you're after proportion.

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
Thanks! I will definitely be using this. :3

Teewee

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:11 PM »
I like the idea of this thread, it's like a giant tutorial.

If you give us a picture edit pointing arrow thing, I would be happy to help you, of course, I might not be the best person to get information from but we can try :3
Of course, drawing folds will differ from person to person with style anyway :P

I'll take a picture sometime and show it :)

I think when it comes to drawing collar folds like that, I do it my way. But I can explain it in not my way.
I guess it's like doing a capital M. Then you put lines coming off from the 4 corners of the M (not counting middle), but these lines should curve around the neck (not too close).
That should be the basic way to do it I think. Try it for yourself and see if it works. Also, if you're going to put something in front of it then just rub it out.

I'll try that out sometime. Thanks ^_^

Collars are a pain. I just stick big-ass ribbons in front of them and hide it like that. but don't do that seriously it looks terrible

I've been drawing for two years :V and I can't even afford the 10$ art class fee, so yeah ^^;

Speaking of music, how about extending this thread to assist fellow musicians. composers, and remixers?

Sounds nice. Though its probably better to have that in its own thread, so those who just want to improve on drawing don't have to look through so many posts to find what they're looking for.

About music I listen to when drawing, I use instrumentals. Eases the pain of frustration of failure a tiny bit, an issue thats been plaguing me since I started drawing. I've been in a terrible psychological state many years ago that persists even now, so I guess that I'll become a much better artist after learning to be often relaxed, control my sense of humor, and not be so negatively crazy.

So, I guess "try being in a good psychological state while drawing" counts as a tip. Though it'll take me a heck of a long time to fully use it >>;

Edit: whoops, I guess I went on a tangent there. Please ignore that "psychological state" stuff hehe
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:11:46 AM by TEspeon »

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Anyone got tips on drawing feet? They're my weak point.

Doyora

• this space is avaliable for hire
  • call 0800 TWO-WHO for more information
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »
Anyone got tips on drawing feet? They're my weak point.

you could try looking at your own feet. getting a mirror will help with the bits you can't easily see

unless you're a double leg amputee in which case sorry
when it comes to pirating touhou games, I'm blackbeard

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 01:59:22 AM »
oh hey look who it is

Doyora

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 02:03:47 AM »
sup

you're like a stalker btw
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:11:16 AM by Doyora »

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 03:13:14 AM »
sup

you're like a stalker btw
haha what no way man

oh yeah i have your mail if you want it btw

Teewee

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »
Please don't derail the thread, guys :(

And I got something else I need help with. I want to trace pictures with my tablet, but I don't know to with SAI. I know I open up the image, but how do I set it up for tracing? I can't trace with real paper, and I could use some more practice with my tablet.

I could also use some tips with drawing symmetrically.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:59:28 AM by TEspeon »

J.O.B

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
You can trace pics by opening up a lineart layer above the picture and then setting the opacity of the picture lower than %100. The opacity is near the layer settings in the top left corner.

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »
I could also use some tips with drawing symmetrically.

It depends what you want to draw symmetrically, if it's faces, there are a ton of guides showing you how to use guidelines and circles to correctly proportion your image. Another thing that helps is to flip the canvas horizontally (if drawing digitally, in SAI I believe this can be achieved by pressing the "H" key.) Or by turning the picture over and holding the image up to the light, generally, this will enable you to easily see any mistakes you have made which you can then rectify.

TL;DR
Flip canvas thus highlighting mistakes.
Fix errors.
???
PROFIT

Teewee

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 03:52:49 PM »
You can trace pics by opening up a lineart layer above the picture and then setting the opacity of the picture lower than %100. The opacity is near the layer settings in the top left corner.
I'll try it. Thanks.

It depends what you want to draw symmetrically, if it's faces, there are a ton of guides showing you how to use guidelines and circles to correctly proportion your image. Another thing that helps is to flip the canvas horizontally (if drawing digitally, in SAI I believe this can be achieved by pressing the "H" key.) Or by turning the picture over and holding the image up to the light, generally, this will enable you to easily see any mistakes you have made which you can then rectify.

TL;DR
Flip canvas thus highlighting mistakes.
Fix errors.
???
PROFIT

I'll try that out. Thanks.

Another issue I've been having with drawing is that I can't seem to make any progress, despite being at it for well over 2 years. Any ideas on how to go about it so I can improve? I think its because I've been going about it the wrong way, since what I can draw even vaguely correctly is very little for all the time I've been practicing consistently. Its unfair :/

I also need to know how to relax and not get frustrated over mistakes. For some reason, despite knowing that making mistakes is perfectly human, I'm always so tense when drawing. And when I am relaxed, I'm to intimidated by drawing to take the opportunity to do it there. And even then, drawing just takes my good mood away. Music rarely helps.
This is my biggest issue. I'd really appreciate advice so I can get rid of it, since the way it is now drawin,g feels like a freakin' chore and no books I've picked up seem to be any help in this regard. The only real use I got from a book is Ken Okabayashi's How to Draw Manga book is as a reference on some things. Nothing that really relaxes me.

....er, sorry for the melodrama. I just haven't been feeling very well lately >_<
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:21:56 PM by TEspeon »

Doyora

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 09:23:29 PM »
Another issue I've been having with drawing is that I can't seem to make any progress, despite being at it for well over 2 years. Any ideas on how to go about it so I can improve? I think its because I've been going about it the wrong way, since what I can draw even vaguely correctly is very little for all the time I've been practicing consistently. Its unfair :/

I also need to know how to relax and not get frustrated over mistakes. For some reason, despite knowing that making mistakes is perfectly human, I'm always so tense when drawing. And when I am relaxed, I'm to intimidated by drawing to take the opportunity to do it there. And even then, drawing just takes my good mood away. Music rarely helps.
This is my biggest issue. I'd really appreciate advice so I can get rid of it, since the way it is now drawin,g feels like a freakin' chore and no books I've picked up seem to be any help in this regard. The only real use I got from a book is Ken Okabayashi's How to Draw Manga book is as a reference on some things. Nothing that really relaxes me.

how interested are you in actualy improving your art? is it just something you do for fun because you cant think of anything better, or is it something you'd make a serious commitment to?

I can try and give you advice but it's hard to point out what you could improve without seeing any of your art (and I cant find any when i searched your posts)

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
Collar

Ragathol

• Cursed
    • Deviantart Gallery
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 09:56:37 PM »
Some pointers on feet

Vyrien

• Your maiden walls
  • ...heheheheh
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »
^ Appreciated, although you didn't have to double post :3