Author Topic: A Girl Named China  (Read 21456 times)

Smallfry

• Life.....Death.....
  • I own it all
Re: A Girl Named China
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »
Communism strikes again
SOMETIMES YA DON'T NEED TO BE FASTER THAN THE BEAR, JUST FASTER THAN THE GUY NEXT TO YA

Azzy

• Can't hear anything but myself
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 08:42:33 PM »
Why do I feel no sympathy at all for Sakuya? :V

I silently hope that Meiling snaps and puts her in her place...

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »
Why do I feel no sympathy at all for Sakuya? :V
You shouldn't. Sakuya is an unusually stone cold bitch.

I silently hope that Meiling snaps and puts her in her place...
Don't we all? :V

AMZYoshio

• Transcend the edge of Dissillusion
  • WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 03:00:48 AM »
Meiling was frantically trying to think of a way to wake Sakuya up. For all she knew, the maid was dying. It bewildered her on why she would suddenly drop from the air like that and loose consciousness - Sakuya wasn't one to simply pass out. Nonetheless, there lied Sakuya, breathing shallowly and not moving a bit.

"Sakuya-san...Oh, please Sakuya..."

Then she got an idea. She had heard before of a way to resuscitate a person by breathing air into them, but she wasn't exactly sure of how to do it. Can't be that hard... she thought to herself. She bent down next to the maid and took a deep breath. She slowly moved toward Sakuya, pressing her mouth against hers. Meiling's heart was racing, nervous of what might happen. She breathed into Sakuya's mouth, and then pulled back slowly to let Sakuya breathe out. Still at the edge of her nerves, Meiling repeated the action when she saw that Sakuya had no response. However, halfway through the next breath, the maid twitched and began to cough, causing Meiling to pull back quickly.

"W..what are you doing...!?" Sakuya coughed out.

"Sakuya-san, you're ok!!!" Meiling exclaimed excitedly.

"We're here to...To follow the orders of the mistress...not to...to try and come onto me!!!" Sakuya stood up and began to reach for a knife, but stumbled and fell back down.

"Sakuya-san, please sit down! You're in no condition to be up and about!" Meiling rushed to her side.

"Get..." The maid coughed a few more times. "Get away from me."

"Sakuya-san...." Meiling began to retract back, but then took a deep breath. "...no."

Sakuya looked up and couldn't believe what she had heard. "What did you say to me?"

"I said no, Sakuya-san." Meiling said a bit shakily. "You're weak, you need to rest. You shouldn't push yourself like this."

Knowing that Meiling was right, Sakuya adjusted to a more comfortable position. However, she wasn't about to give in.

"Don't you ever talk back to me, China. I know myself better than you ever will, and you should keep it that way." The maid barked out. She coughed several times again, with the last sounding extremely painful. "This air...It's not normal."

"I'm a Youkai, so maybe that's why it doesn't affect me as much, but I see what you mean..." Meiling replied, feeling the the difference in the way she was breathing as well. "If you're this badly off, how did Reimu and Marisa get through here, I wonder...?"

"Reimu is a shrine maiden, she probably had some god help her..." Sakuya said, pacing her breath. "Marisa...she lives in the forest, her lungs are probably bombarded with weird spores and whatnot anyway, she's most likely used to it."

"Mmm, makes sense..." Meiling stretched her legs out and began to kick her feet a little. It was nice to rest like this - Sakuya had been driving them all day.

"Just what exactly were you attempting to do in the first place China?" Sakuya bitterly asked after a moment of catching her breath.

"What?"

"When you were over me. What kind of thought crossed through that empty head of yours would spur you onto doing THAT at a time like this?" Sakuya eyed the gatekeeper over angrily.

"S-Sakuya-san! It's not like that...!" Meiling quickly defended herself.

"I don't care what you might have been thinking, but keep your hands off me, China." Sakuya glared at her. "And never try anything like that EVER again."

Not wanting to anger her further, Meiling simply looked down into her lap and bowed her head. "It won't happen again Sakuya-san. I'm sorry."

The two sat in silence for a moment, with Sakuya attempting to adjust to the semi-toxic miasma filled atmosphere. Meiling, already adjusted, sat in thought however.

I potentially saved her life, and all she does is yell at me...I know she has a reason to be mad at me most of the time, but this time I'm not really sure. She couldn't possibly be simply mad at me for being me though...can she? Look at her...She's struggling to breathe, you'd think she'd be a little more thankful for my saving of her.

Meiling took a huge breath and sighed. Sakuya didn't notice at all - she was too busy with her own problems.

I can't think of her like that. Sakuya-san is just hardworking is all. She's so stressed all the time I bet, what with all the cleaning, cooking, and tending to the mansion - it's like a consistent encounter with Marisa for her, no wonder she's stressed. I can't think lower of her for that, she just needs some time to rest is all. That, and I need to be more competent, so her job is easier.

The two sat like that for another few minutes - sad thing is, Meiling was not right at all. The poor gatekeeper was too nice to Sakuya, even in her own mind, and yet could this be pointed out as a fault? It was a strange predicament that she had gotten herself into - the maid obviously had some fault with her, but she simply held her in high regards anyway, never daring to think badly of Sakuya. It's sad, however, that she was so taken advantage of and treated poorly...

"Let's go." Sakuya finally broke the silence. "I'll be fine now."

Before Meiling could say anything, Sakuya was to her feet again, and already taking flight. Following suit, Meiling took up her position beside her.

"I hope you wrote in that book while I was out." Sakuya noted after a few seconds.

"uhh...Yeah. Yeah, of course I did, Sakuya-san!" Meiling said quickly. She thought that Makai was such a memorable place already that she would barely have to write anything, at least not yet - she'd just do it later, once they stopped to rest again. Simply shaking her head, Sakuya turned ahead once again.

"Heeeeeeeeeey~! Where you guys going~?" A voice called out. Sakuya turned instantly to the sound, a hand near her knives.

A cheery looking girl with blonde hair and a white dress came to meet them with a smile on their face. She stopped in front of the pair and tilted her head to the side.

"I don't think I've ever seen you two around here before." She noted immediately. "Judging by the way maid-y over there is breathing, you're from the human world, aren't you?"

"Show some respect, ingrate." Sakuya said cuttingly. "Is this how you always treat travelers?"

"Easy there doggy, no need to be mad~" The girl smiled and teased. "Then again, I'd be mad too if I had to be a servant my entire life."

Sakuya's eyes narrowed, but refrained from making any more insulting comments. Who knows what could happen in Makai, after all.

"We wanna learn about this place is all." Meiling said nicely to the girl.

"Well here's here and there's there!" The stranger laughed. "There's not much more to know~"

Meiling laughed casually with her as well, but then quieted down as Sakuya's glare cut her off.

"Miss, if you would to be so kind as to point us in the direction of a library or some other kind of informational house, we would be grateful." Sakuya said, holding her desire to strike the annoyance down where she floated.

"Mm, I dunno about libraries around here - people are already smart enough, they don't need something like that."

"Maybe someone smart then?" Meiling asked.

"Well I guess the smartest person around would be Shinki-sama. She lives in a castle off that way." The strange girl pointed in a direction.

"Thank you very much miss, we will be on our way. Come, China." Sakuya began to fly off.

"Ohhh, China? What a terrible name, your parents must have a sense of humor." The girl laughed, unknowingly cutting into Meiling's self-esteem more than she could ever realize.

The strange girl left them, laughing and waving, and Meiling followed Sakuya pitifully.

"You shouldn't be so sociable with these people." Sakuya said out of nowhere. "That girl could have been an assassin sent to kill us or something. Not that I couldn't have taken her on, but you on the other hand? You'd be dead in a minute."

"Yes, Sakuya-san." Meiling said with a hint of sadness in her voice. Once again, her cheery position was shot down by the Scarlet Devil Mansion's head maid, and Meiling didn't have the gall to stand up for it. However, how could she? Sakuya had more authority than she did in the Mansion, being the closest to Remilia. That, and even if Meiling could match or exceed Sakuya's combat abilities, her heart wouldn't let her react to Sakuya like that - she simply held too much respect for her.

I just wish she wouldn't act so mean sometimes... Meiling finally brought herself to think. It really goes to show how much control Sakuya had over Meiling if she could hardly bring herself to THINK about such things, let alone say them. Like a trained dog, Meiling couldn't ever think badly about her superiors - things were always her fault in the end.

The two flew in silence for about a half hour. They flew past many people who looked at them strangely - many demons, youkai, fairies, and a whole assortment of other creatures. None of them attacked or spoke to them, though - the sight of Sakuya's menacing concentration mixed with Meiling's larger, physically threatening figure made for a sight that nobody quite wanted to mess with.

The landscape they traveled across turned from red to a crystalline forest of sorts - The previously red theme was changed out to what looked like a frozen wasteland of sorts, but in reality was a beautiful crystal lake with strange formations billowing out of the surface. The sheen on the substance made it seem as if nobody had laid a finger on it - it was as beautifully finished as if a team of maids had kept it under constant polishing for years. The sight was breathtaking, Meiling thought, and she could hardly believe how the landscape that had once looked so toxic and dead now looked so mystical and arcane. Meiling dared not say anything, however - she still had the memory of her comments about Gensokyo's landscape and what that warrented her.

Before long, the two came upon a giant crystal castle. It seemed to shine even more than the landscape, and was quite the sight of breathtaking beauty.

"Try not to screw up this time." Sakuya said before they entered the door. Meiling was surprised to see that there wasn't a guard at the gate, or anyone at all for that matter. In fact, the two had hardly met or talked to anybody since entering that cave, except for Sara and...whoever that girl was. This was confusing - for hearing such scary rumors about the land of demons and monsters, not a lot of scary things were happening.

The two entered the palace, into the unknown darkness that lie ahead.

--

"My lady, they're entering as we speak."

"Mmhmmm, and have they been bothered at all?"

"Only by the messenger we went to casually send them in this way. Oh, and by Sara, of course."

"Silly Sara, she'll never be able to stop taking her job so seriously. She needs to lighten up once in a while."

"My lady, excuse me for asking so, but why exactly do you want these two to come in here so eagerly?"

"Why, are you scared?"

"Of course not, but you don't even know this pair - they could be coming to try and defeat you, or cause havoc and gain the attention of that Shrine Maiden again. The last thing we need is a lot of confusion and chaos, like we experienced back then."

"Oh stop your worrying, I know what I'm doing. Besides, haven't you been itching to have someone to force out lately?"

"You invited intruders on purpose!? You don't even want to speak to them!?"

"Hee hee, guess I did."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:04:08 AM by AMZYoshio »

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 03:50:15 AM »
My god.

Also, Sakuya is unusually paranoid...

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »
"We're here to...To follow the orders of the mistress...not to...to try and come onto me!!!"

*double facepalm* Oh my god this girl is an idiot...

"Not that I couldn't have taken her on, but you on the other hand? You'd be dead in a minute."

Yes, Sakuya you could have taken her on...WHILE YOU'RE SUFFERING FROM MIASMA POISONING!! HELLO!!! And you're underestimating Meiling a bit much.

From Perfect Memento:
"You should refrain from breaking through the gate,
or sneaking through while she's sleeping. She'll attack
you without mercy in that case."

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:26:47 PM by Savory »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:14 AM »
Methinks you're taking this story a wee bit too seriously. >_>
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

AMZYoshio

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 02:59:13 AM »
"I think that girl lied to us.."

"Shut up and stay alert."

The two wandered the halls of the crystal palace, and were very surprised to see absolutely nobody within its halls. For an establisment so large, a lot of people would be required to maintain it, or so Meiling thought. Ever since she had gotten into Makai nothing really made any sense, but she had been pressing on anyway, always having her goals in mind - completing her mission to please those who are above her.

The sound of the pair's footsteeps echoed eerily around as the crystal palace's unnatural chill radiated from every facet of the beautfully formed hallways. With each step, Meiling expected somebody to jump out at them - Sakuya's repeated warnings had made her very paranoid. However, the two walked on, exploring around, without event.

However, after a bit, the two entered a long hallway with a figure standing at the end of it. Sakuya stopped on point, causing Meiling to freeze as well.

"Shouldn't we-" Meiling started.

"Shh." Sakuya quickly hushed her.

As the two stood in their place, the figure began to walk toward them at a casual pace. As it grew closer, Meiling could make out that the person they face was a girl wearing a maid's dress not unlike Sakuya's, however its main theme was red instead of blue. Also, this girl had golden yellow hair, and uncanny red eyes that seemed to peirce into the soul of anything she looked at. However, as she approached further still, her eyes seemed to fade into the same golden color of her hair, and became more calm.

"Welcome to Pand?monium ladies. May I ask what your business is here?" The girl asked the pair.

Sakuya took the initiative and answered before Meiling could have the chance to. "We are here to speak to one named 'Shinki'."

"My mistress is a very busy lady, may I ask why you require to see her?" The blonde haired maid asked, eying the pair over.

"We have questions!!!" Meiling quickly piped in with a smile.

"Questions, hm? Well, I'm afraid my mistress cannot be bothered with such trifle matters." The maid began to turn around and walk away, dismissing the pair.

"Please? It will only take a second!!!" Meiling called after her.

"Shut up China, she obviously doesn't want us in here."

"But the Mistress told us to-"

"I said shut up!!!" Sakuya held up a silver knife, and Meiling winced.

"My, my, aren't you the quaint couple." The other maid chimed in casually, causing Sakuya to turn towards her. "Did I hear that you two were under orders from your own mistress?"

"It's none of your business." Sakuya coldly replied.

"My, you aren't a very good maid, are you~" The blonde maid laughed slightly. "I'll tell you what - I hold sympathy for your predicament, being a maid myself. I will allow you to take quarters in this palace overnight, if you promise to be gone by morning. I will talk with my mistress about answering your questions then, but for now it is late, you surely know that."

Meiling at that moment realized how tired she was - it must have been 9 or 10 at night, and she had been up since about 6 that morning.

"We would much appreciate it, miss." Sakuya said through her teeth a little - being called a bad maid didn't exactly suit her tastes.

"Mm, this way then." The maid led a very cautious Sakuya and a very grateful Meiling down a hallway to a very well furnished room. "You two will stay in this room. Please try not to make much noise, and excuse me for being rude in saying so, but we will not be serving you tonight, nor will we be providing anything besides what has been put in this room. Good night." The maid walked out of the room abruptly and closed the door.

"Well that was...weird." Meiling noted, seeing how the previously nice maid had suddenly become so apathetic toward her guests.

"What's weird is that I don't remember telling you that you could talk." Sakuya said, glaring at Meiling now that they were alone.

"But Sakuya-san..." Meiling started, not realizing how serious Sakuya actually was.

"We don't know who that maid is! She could have done a number of things, think about it!!! We were trespassing in her mistress's home, and judging by the size of this place, I'd say that her mistress has power comparable to ours, especially since this is Makai!" Sakuya yelled at her companion. "People here aren't your average youkai who like to play fun and games - they're demons and monsters! There's a reason people say Makai is extremely dangerous - because it is!!!"

Meiling didn't think this was right at all. "Sakuya-san, we're fine, aren't we? Maybe people here are just misunderstood..."

"China, you idiot, for all you know they're leading you into a false sense of security with that sort of thinking." Sakuya walked toward the gatekeeper. "You don't get it, do you? For a gatekeeper, you have an absolutely terrible sense of security. No wonder everybody gets past you, you don't take anything seriously!" Sakuya turned and walked across the room. "Just go to bed. It's not like you'll be useful."

Meiling wanted to say something, but she just couldn't find words. All she did was sit on the comfortable bed and open up the small bag that had been given to her at the Mansion. She pulled out a pair of small boxes, and set them on the bed. Closing the bag, she picked one up and opened it. Inside were Chinese dumplings - one of Meiling's favorite foods.

She looked at it for a second, then looked at Sakuya, who wasn't paying attention to her, but instead looking around the room. Meiling closed the box and opened the other to find a plain looking sandwich inside. Closing the box, she stopped to think.

Sakuya made these, didn't she...? Meiling pondered. She always makes me these dumplings, but why would she give herself such a half-done meal?

"Thank you, Sakuya-san." Meiling said out loud. Sakuya looked over, and noticed that she was holding the box containing the sandwich. She then looked back at what she was doing.

"The dumplings are yours." She simply replied.

Meilings thoughts were confirmed - Sakuya had short changed herself with the meals. But why?

It doesn't matter, I guess. Meiling concluded. After all, I get my dumplings, and Sakuya would be most likely mad if I said otherwise.

Not thinking further of it, Meiling enjoyed her dumplings - however, she felt strangely uncomfortable, as Sakuya did nothing except check every facet of the room.

"Whatcha looking for, Sakuya-san?" Meiling asked whilst enjoying her meal.

"Anything." She replied. "You never know what could be in here."

"It's late, shouldn't you rest up for tomorrow?"

"Shouldn't you keep your place?"

Meiling looked down into her lap as her self-confidence was once again crushed. She hated it when Sakuya would snap at her like that, but she reasoned that most of the time the maid was right. Then again, she'd also been down this same track of mind countless times, and hasn't exactly enjoyed the results. However, there was not much she could do, so she simply finished her meal in silence.

About an hour passed, and Meiling tried to stay awake to 'watch out for anything', as Sakuya put it. Sakuya had told her that the maid of the house could have been tricking them, just waiting for the two to go to sleep. However, Sakuya soon grew tired as well, and decided that she was perhaps wrong, as there was zero activity coming from anywhere in the crystal palace. However, the two quickly ran into their next problem.

"There's one bed, Sakuya-san."

"I'm fully aware."

The two argued a bit about who should get the bed - there were no other reasonable places to sleep in the room. However, the argument was extremely one-sided, due to Sakuya's influence over Meiling. Still, despite this, Sakuya did agree eventually that both of them would have to be fit for tomorrow - therefore they agreed to share it, after much reluctance on Sakuya's part.

"Just stay on THAT side of the bed." Sakuya warned, laying down underneath the large blanket.

"I will, Sakuya-san. All I plan to do is sleep." Meiling replied, remembering how mad Sakuya was at the implications of pressing their mouths together.

The maid extinguished the last candle that had been lighting the room, and all was quiet. Meiling sat in the darkness, knowing how close Sakuya was, and how much responsibility she had on her shoulders at the moment. Sakuya was trusting her enough to sleep in the same bed as her, even if it was with a grain of salt - this kind of trust hasn't been something that Meiling hasn't had for a long time from Sakuya. As she lay next to the maid, a certain warmness began to rush over her - to think, Sakuya was laying next to her, soon to be sleeping, and she was the one that was trusted with this moment. It was pitiful to think about from a normal perspective, but Meiling was strangely excited about this, and she couldn't fully explain why to herself. Nonetheless, she enjoyed the thought, and fell asleep with a smile on her face.

--

"Are you sure about this, my lady?"

"Mmm, do I sense fear again?"

"My lady, you know I am not fearful. I just..."

"Mmm? Do tell."

"That one in green - there's something about her."

"Something that I can't handle?"

"Of course not, it's just...I dunno, I think that she has a lot of pent up emotion. I could see it in her eyes. That sort of passion could prove to be a problem."

"Oh, you worry too much, Yumeko."

"That, and the maid she was with - she looked as if she had a few holed up problems as well. The two also seemed to know more than they appeared to - I just think you're taking this ordeal a little more lightly than you should, my lady."

"Oh come off it - Think about who we're going to be up against. A little girl? Yes, she's a vampire, but honestly, she simply doesn't have enough experience to handle what we're going to dish out."

"Why exactly do you want to achieve this again, my lady?"

"I have a score to settle with a certain Shrine Maiden. The second she sees what we've done, she'll come rushing to us no doubtedly."

"As you wish, my lady."

"My, we're lucky that these people came to us when they did. From what I hear, they're the main defense. This shall be easy~"

"If you say so, my lady."

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »
Methinks you're taking this story a wee bit too seriously. >_>

Just getting into the mood xD

Azzy

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
Sakuya deserves a slap to the face, and if Meiling doesn't do it I WILL... well you know what I mean... :ohdear:

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2010, 01:40:18 AM »

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2010, 04:00:27 AM »

AMZYoshio

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
Mmm, breaks are nice to take, especially when Christmas and my birthday happens in them. That, and over 2mil exp in assorted skills on Runescape. But that's a different story.

Meiling slowly awoke in the comfortable bed. She was extremely warm, and the bed felt absolutely amazing. She was attempting to grasp assorted thoughts in her head, but being stuck on the border of dreams and reality made her memory extremely fuzzy. She felt good all around, however, and tried to open her eyes. It was lazily at first, as she was still very much so asleep. She yawned a great yawn and slowly opened her eyes. She saw a white object extremely fuzzily through her eyelashes and still-focusing vision, and buried her face into it.

Soft...strange pillow though... She thought lazily. Wait....

Meiling's eyes shot open extremely quickly as she realized the object she was resting her head against was Sakuya's head of hair. However, as she quickly looked over the situation, she realized that the maid was still asleep. Furthermore, she wasn't simply unaware of Meiling's action - she was facing the gatekeeper, with an arm around her.

The chinese gatekeeper sat still, frozen in shock as she quickly tried to decide what she should do.

Do I get her arm off me? That'd wake her up...Do I just go with it? Maybe...Maybe I should pretend that I'm asleep too...She'll wake up soon, and if she doesn't think I did it on purpose either...

Meiling didn't know exactly where she was going with that thought. However, she knew one thing - having Sakuya sleep like that next to her made her feel a strange kind of good that she hadn't ever felt before. Just thinking that she could feel the warmth of the maid without it being some sort of strike or choke made it feel almost right. She couldn't quite explain it, but if she could just capture this moment in time and have Sakuya hold her like this for eternity...

Sakuya...

Meiling closed her eyes and nestled back into the maid's silvery hair.

It won't hurt her...

Meiling heaved a slow, but big sigh. She hadn't felt this relaxed in quite some time, and for the first time in what seemed like an eternity, felt happier than she could ever remember. Finally resting without a care in the world, finally being able to protect her superiors without being reprimanded.

This train of thought quickly ended, however, as Meiling's heavy sigh caused Sakuya to tighten her eyes. Meiling feigned sleep and innocence at once, but kept a careful ear out to try and find out what the maid was doing.

Sakuya opened her eyes slowly, then quickly froze in shock. She looked around feverishly, then sat up, giving Meiling reason to "wake up". The maid quickly exited the bed and dressed herself, seemingly before Meiling could even open her eyes. The gatekeeper yawned and sat up, stretching her arms.

"Good morning, Sakuya-san." She lazily said. "Your face is all red. What's wrong?"

Sakuya looked at her quickly and and calmed herself. "We...We've woken up too late. It's unbecoming of us to take too much advantage of the lady of this house's hospitality, as well as our Mistress's patience."

Meiling smiled to herself, knowing why Sakuya was truly flustered. Getting out of bed, she dressed herself as well, and the two left the room promptly, after Sakuya had cleaned up the area a bit.

"We have to find this lady 'Shinki' as soon as possible, and then get back to the mansion. We probably shouldn't have even taken more than a day, the mistress will be most displeased..." Sakuya rambled somewhat to herself. Meiling simply followed the maid's quick pace as they headed back toward the room from which they originally met the strange blonde maid.

Seeing nobody in the long hallway, the two pressed on to the end. They entered a large chamber with a large crystalline throne in the center back. However, there was absolutely nobody in the room.

"That's odd..You'd think she'd be in here." Meiling noted.

"Or anyone." Sakuya added, reaching for her knives. However, even as Sakuya paused, waiting for anything, ready for anyone - nothing happened. The room was quiet, the air was stagnant.

"Maybe nobody's here." Meiling said eventually.

"It would seem so..." Sakuya cautiously agreed as she slowly let go of a knife. "Let's go." The maid turned around and walked out of the room. Following orders, Meiling trailed the maid.

"Where do we go now then?" Meiling asked her companion.

"Back outside. We were probably tricked by that blonde commoner." Sakuya replied. "For all we know, this is a carved out hollow in the crystals that some fairies built and there really is no Shinki. That maid could have just been a fake, which is why she was so unhospitable to us."

Meiling thought that was a silly thought, seeing how intricately created this crystalline palace was. If it were simply fairies, the craftsmanship of the place would be extremely shoddy - however, she dared not argue with Sakuya. The two turned to leave, and as Sakuya walked out the door, Meiling noticed a small slip of paper posted to the wall near the door.

"To the silver-haired maid and the chinese girl:

We're terribly sorry, but we have rooted through your possessions while you slept. We are at your mistress's Mansion right now, and it would be highly advisable if you did not interfere.

-Shinki"

"Sakuya!!! I think you need to look at this!!!" Meiling quickly called out to the maid. Sakuya came quickly back and took the paper from Meiling's hand. After a second of reading it, she threw it down to the ground and turned toward the door.

"We're leaving. Now." Sakuya said curtly as she began to run out the door.

"Sakuya, wait!!!" Meiling yelled after the maid, who was now sparing no expense in hurrying out of the palace.

"The mistress is in trouble, there's no time to wait!!!" Sakuya yelled angrily back, and then dissapeared from in front of Meiling. The maid re-appeared nearly instantly several dozen feet away, and then promptly phazed out of sight again, only to appear farther away still. Time-warping in such a manner led her extremely quickly out of Meiling's sight, leaving the gatekeeper to run alone.

"Goddamnit, why do I have to be so useless!?" Meiling yelled out, beginning to feel a bit worked up. "Sakuya-san is so much better than I am, and when I finally get back to the mansion, the mistress is going to be nothing but mad with me!!!" Meiling began to run faster, then jumped in the air and began to take flight as she saw the door to outside of the crystal palace. She flew swiftly, but still saw absolutely no sign of the maid.

"I can't give up though...Not for anything. I have a job to do..." Meiling said to herself while sailing through the air. "...and people to protect."

Interestingly enough, Meiling was not stopped by a single person while attempting to find her way out of Makai. Several creatures did eye her, but a strange energy eminating from her kept them from even attempting to bother the gatekeeper - it was an energy of pure distress, yet pure, unbridled passion. However, Meiling didn't notice a single one of these people - she was too intent on finding her way out of the strange land.

She found herself back in the area where the land was red, which was a good sign. Flying generally where she saw settlements, for she had remembered seeing a few houses or other such buildings on their way to the crystal palace, Meiling felt that she was getting closer to the exit of Makai. Eventually, she found the rift in space that she and Sakuya had entered from, and quickly dived through it. Flying through the border space, she burst through the seal and back into Gensokyo. The sudden rush of clean air was a bit shocking at first to her, but Meiling quickly adapted, as this atmosphere was definitely better than the miasma filled Makai.

Not even bothering to see if Sara was around, Meiling dashed out of the cave and into the bright sun - a thing she had not seen since she had entered into Makai. Shielding her eyes for a moment, Meiling staggered in blindness. Makai was lit somehow, but not nearly as well as a nice cloudless day in Gensokyo. Regaining her senses, Meiling took to the air, and flew high above the treeline, into the cloudless blue sky. Breathing in deeply, Meiling felt revitalized with energy, and took off with a new zeal toward the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

"Sakuya's probably already there, and she's probably already solved the problem..." Meiling noted, despite her determination to return to the mansion.

However, things simply were not so.

Smallfry

• Life.....Death.....
  • I own it all
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »
Hehe... Sakuya in bed.
SOMETIMES YA DON'T NEED TO BE FASTER THAN THE BEAR, JUST FASTER THAN THE GUY NEXT TO YA

AMZYoshio

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »
A long blade flew past Sakuya's face as she just barely dodged the attack. Several smaller blades flung past Yumeko's sides as she weaved her way through a barrage.

"What have you done with the mistress!?" Sakuya yelled out angrily, fighting her opponent with fierce hostility.

"It's none of your business, maid!" Yumeko yelled back, drawing another round of short swords to use as danmaku.

The two dueled with extreme skill and power - however, Sakuya was at a disadvantage. Not only was she being somewhat blinded by her own rage and passion, but she was still weak from over-exertion on her part - using her powers in Makai to stop time so frequently whilst attempting to return to the mansion had taken a lot out of her, and even the clean air of Gensokyo hasn't had time to restore her completely. As the two fought, both of them could see that Sakuya was having trouble - and Yumeko wasn't about to falter in her dedication to her lady.

--

Meiling neared the mansion at last. As she approached the estate, she noticed that two figures were battling harshly by the gate - there were large amounts of danmaku and energy being given off in every direction from the front of the mansion. Hastening herself, the gatekeeper quickly dashed to cover her primary directive - protecting the gate.

Closing in on the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Meiling saw just who the two figures were, and gasped in horror at what the outcome of this battle was. Meiling gathered herself and powered a large, flying kick directly in to the blonde maid who was holding a blodied sword. As she flew back, Meiling landed on the ground and quickly took Sakuya up in her arms, noting the large gash she had down her arm.

"Sakuya-san...!" Meiling gasped out, almost tearing up from seeing the maid in such a condition. However, she couldn't stay emotional for long - Sakuya's assailant was already back for more.

"Chinese girl, leave this place at once!!!" Yumeko yelled out, holding the very sword out that had stricken Sakuya.

"Never!!! This mansion belongs to Remilia Scarlet, and I am in charge of keeping the gate secure!!!" Meiling yelled out with angry pride. "Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is allowed to hurt anybody inside without getting through me first!!!"

"Well you're a bit too late for that, girl." The blonde maid cooly said. "My mistress is already inside, and I am filling your position you could say."

Meiling gently put Sakuya down, then stood up and dug her feet into the ground, facing her opponent.

"When I defeat you, you and your mistress must leave at once!!!" Meiling yelled out.

"You're just like her, you think it's all fun and games, don't you?" Yumeko laughed back. "In Makai, we don't 'duel' people like you're used to. We fight for real." Yumeko drew another sword and held it in her off hand. "So the only way my mistress is going to be ousted is over my dead body."

"So be it..." Meiling growled under her breath as she began to draw out her inner energy. With a colorful flair, Meiling jumped into the air and drove a spinning kick straight to where her opponent was standing. Expecting as much, Yumeko dodged quickly and attempted to slash at the gateguard, who kicked the blade away. Both taking their distance, Meiling fired a thick field of general danmaku, which was quickly returned with interest. Both girls being limited in movement, Yumeko saw this as a perfect opportunity to lace the area with a few razor sharp swords.

Being caught slightly off guard by this vicious attack, Meiling's sleeve was grazed by a blade. Noting that this strange maid means business, she expelled a large qi blast that negated the energy of a large amount of Danmaku, giving Meiling a clear way to attack. Seizing the opportunity, Meiling reared a large fist full of energy backward, and delivered a bone cracking blow straight to Yumeko's stomach, causing her to lose concentration on her spells and flight. However, she quickly recovered and tossed several more swords up toward her opponent, grazing Meiling's leg with a well-aimed shot.

Screaming out in pain, blood now beginning to run hot down her and dripping off of her shoe, Meiling struggled to maintain flight, but ended up crashing into the ground. She attempted to stand back up, but the pain was unbearable - the cut in her leg ran far. As Yumeko approached her, however, Meiling wasn't through - She expelled a large blast at the maid, causing her to fly back and hit the outer wall of the mansion. However, she quickly recovered and was upon Meiling once more, who was desperately trying to get up.

"Give up girl, this is not your fight!" Yumeko threatened, holding a blade to Meiling's throat.

Meiling slumped on the ground, knowing it was useless to attempt to stand. She cringed in pain as her leg was lying in the dirt, bleeding out bit by bit. Knowing enough about her body, she knew that if she continued to try and strain it, she might lose it.

"Why are you doing this..." Meiling asked the maid.

"It's not my decision. My lady has business with yours, and until that business is complete, I am to not allow anybody to interfere."

"What has your lady done with my mistress?"

"She's GOING to end up harming her more than she may have already if you continue to poke around, girl." Yumeko threatened.

"My name's...not 'girl'..." Meiling seethed out, having a new shot of pain go up her leg.

"Fine. Your mistress will be harmed if you don't leave CHINA." Yumeko cuttingly corrected herself, remembering Sakuya's comment in Makai.

Upon hearing this name, however, Meiling's eyes narrowed. She tightned a fist, and drew her qi to her center, effectively forgetting her leg. As Yumeko began to lower her blade, Meiling forced her energy into the ground, causing her to fly up a couple feet, and threw an extremely powerful punch directly at the maid. However, Yumeko was expecting Meiling to act up - she dodged swiftly, and as Meiling fell back to the ground, she drove the hilt of her sword directly into the back of Meiling's head, causing her to black out.

"Yumeko!"

The blonde haired maid swiftly turned around and bowed her head. "Yes, my lady?" She asked with utmost respect.

"Who are these two?" Shinki said as she floated lazily over the wall of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, landing next to her maid.

"They appear to be the gate guard and the head maid of this mansion, Lady Shinki." Yumeko said, eyeing the two over.

"Mmmm, interesting. And just as they have come up in my conversation with the lady of this house." Shinki laughed to herself quietly. "Bring them inside."

"My lady, are you sure that this is the wisest choice? They seem quite powerful, I had a bit of trouble with-"

"Yumeko, the vampire sisters of this mansion are far more powerful than you can realize. And I seem to have taken care of them well, haven't I? Bring them inside."

"Yes, My lady."

--

Meiling slowly awoke with a splitting headache and a very sore leg. As she fuzzily attempted to regain her senses, she realized that her hands were tied behind her with what felt like rope, as well as a second pair of hands and a large post. As she looked around, Meiling determined that she was in an off closet of the Scarlet Devil Mansion - one of the assorted supply closets placed around for Sakuya and the staff of maids. Any objects of use were placed convienently out of reach, and Meiling's splitting headache and hurting leg didn't help matters. However, she noticed that her leg was wrapped in a bandage - whoever had put her in this room had dressed her wounds.

"Hey...Hey!" Meiling spoke up after a minute of sitting in silence. "Hey, who am I tied to?"

There was no response.

"Hey!!!" Meiling tried again, beginning to shake her hands around, attempting to get the second person's attention.

After several seconds of this shaking, her work paid off - the second person began to come to as well.

"Wh...where..." A familiar voice began to say.

"Sakuya!?" Meiling gasped in disbelief and excitement at the same time.

"What's ha...AHHHH...!!!" Sakuya screamed out in pain, and Meiling could feel her hands begin to tighten and pull on the ropes extremely hard.

"Sakuya-san, are you ok?" Meiling called out with worry, and attempted to struggle against the ropes. However, the rope, despite Meiling's strength, did not give way even a bit. This caused Meiling to think that it was enchanted, or made out of a strange material that she'd never heard of.

"That...that bitch maid...!" Sakuya seethed out, struggling against the ropes more and more, trying to break free.

"Sakuya-san, please don't strain yourself - you're hurt..." Meiling pleaded, genuinely caring about her safety.

"Shut up, China!!!" Sakuya lashed out, pausing her in struggle to break free. "It's your damn fault we're here in the first place!!! If you wouldn't have failed as a person to begin with and done your job correctly and kept Marisa out, then the mistress wouldn't have had to send us on this damn mission!"

Meiling sat in silence, absorbing the maid's words of hatred.

"And ever since we LEFT, you've been nothing but distracted and a liability! You should be glad that I've put up with you for as long as I have, because if I had it my way, you'd be DEAD!!!" Sakuya screamed out, clearly losing her composure. She then seethed over in pain, as all the yelling has taxed her, and having a wound on the arm is never a good thing to have whilst taxing onesself.

"I try so damn hard to keep this mansion in order..." Sakuya started again, her voice a bit shaky. "I try so GODDAMN HARD....To please the mistress...To just make sure everything runs smoothly...And YOU have to go and FUCK EVERYTHING UP!!!" Sakuya's voice choked up for a second. Meiling couldn't see her, but she could feel that through the tone of her voice, Sakuya was beginning to cry.

"Sakuya-san..." Meiling started, her voice becoming shaky as well.

"Just shut up..." Sakuya commanded. "I don't want to hear you speak ever again, China. You sicken me."

Meiling looked down into her lap, and watched as the tears slowly fell and splashed onto her legs. She tried to stay strong and hold the emotion back, but the sheer overwhemling power of Sakuya's words had stricken deeply into her heart and shattered it. To have Sakuya - somebody that she looked up to so much, that she lived to protect and please, Sakuya Izayoi - to have such a torrent of pure hatred and malice be given to Meiling by her was simply too much for her to bear. All Meiling has ever wanted from the beginning was to please her, to gain the respect and kindness that she deserved, and yet all of that seemed extremely hopeless at that moment.

Both of the girls sat in that dark room, heavily and unevenly breathing, both wishing that Meiling was dead.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:38:59 PM by AMZYoshio »

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »
;_;

Smallfry

• Life.....Death.....
  • I own it all
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »
I wish Meiling would stick up for herself.  :derp:

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
She should quit. If no one appreciates her then good riddance.

AMZYoshio

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
Time, although a thing that Sakuya is normally able to control, took its toll on both of the girls sitting in that room. Time had taught Meiling true grief as she turned Sakuya's words around in her mind. Time had taught Sakuya true pain as she suffered from her wounds and the thought of Remilia being in trouble. Time, cruel time, had degraded both of the usually proud and fearless ladies to shaking children.

Yet time was their savoir.

"Sakuya-san..." Meiling mumbled after what seemed like an eternity of hot tears running down her face; after picking up the pieces of her shattered confidence and heart and fruitlessly attempting to piece them back together.

"I said...I said I didn't want another word out of you..." Sakuya weakly mumbled back, being extremely tired from her struggle to escape as well as stay awake.

"Sakuya-san, I want you to know...I just want you to know that I try too." Meiling said between heavy breaths, trying to control herself.

"That so?" Sakuya replied sarcastically, with a bitter edge in her tone.

"All I've ever tried to do with my life...All I've ever wanted is to protect the mansion." Meiling admitted. "To just know that you were all safe...It's a good feeling, you know?"

"Then why do you continue to fail us?" Sakuya bit back.

"Because I'm not perfect, Sakuya-san." Meiling replied frankly. "Marisa...I don't know what's up with her, but she's very powerful obviously. I just can't stop her...Not like this."

"What do you mean 'not like this'?" Sakuya asked, becoming more interested in what Meiling had to say.

"Well...Defending the gate isn't all about power." Meiling explained. "You have to...have a strong mind. And heart." Meiling seethed slightly as the pain in her leg began to act up again, but she held fast and waited it out.

"Passion doesn't stop a witch." Sakuya coldly replied.

"Then why are you so loyal to the mistress?" Meiling asked without thinking.

"Well, it's much more of a start than YOU have." Sakuya growled back. "I live to serve the mistress, and it's my duty to do as she wishes and prevent any harm from befalling her. Do I even have to explain that?"

"Just as I live to protect her, as well as to protect you." Meiling countered, with a beautiful idea in her mind. "It's that, Sakuya-san. That inner passion that you have to have, and you just told me that you have it as well."

"What of it? Are you saying that you don't WANT to guard the gate?" Sakuya attacked once more.

"It's not that..." Meiling sighed, with her idea fading as Sakuya was twisting her words. "It's...It's just hard to keep going on when I have to..."

"Have to what." Sakuya said with baited breath.

"...well...I guess it'd be less what I have, so much as it would be what I don't have." Meiling replied somewhat sadly, thinking over how she could word her sentences to avoid misunderstanding.

"There's plenty of things I could think of that you DON'T have, China." Sakuya added.

Meiling sat in silence for a moment, trying to gather the courage for what she was about to say.

"Apparently a full thought is one of them." Sakuya sighed. "You're just wasting our time, I have to go help the mistress, whether you want to or not..." Sakuya weakly pulled at the ropes once more, but to no avail.

"...Reciprocation." Meiling finally said.

"What?" Sakuya asked, confused as to what the gatekeeper might mean.

"It's not that I want to leave. It's that nobody would mind if I did. Especially..." Meiling paused, and took a deep breath.

"...especially you."

Sakuya sat in silence and took in those two words. The tone in which Meiling had said that sentence was filled with such bitter sadness, it was amazing that Sakuya could have ever not realized this before.

"Sakuya-san, you hate me and I know it. But I still care about you..." Meiling continued on. "It's just...It's just really hard to continue to protect the gate when I know that nobody would care if I died doing it." Meiling began to feel a hot tear slip slowly down her face, and her voice began to become extremely shaky.

"I put my heart and soul into protecting you, I lay my life on the line, and you continue to hate me..." Meiling took in a sharp breath. "...but I know that I haven't done the best job, so maybe you have the right."

Sakuya continued to sit and listen to her words, not daring to say anything.

"But I think that I shouldn't just give up and leave...No, I could never do that." Meiling closed her eyes tightly and tried to fight back the tears that were slowly beginning to fall one by one. "I'm going to prove to the mistress...To Lady Patchouli, Flandre...I'm going to prove that I still care." Meiling opened her eyes and stared at the wall she faced.

"But most of all...I'm going to prove it to you."

Sakuya looked down into her own lap, and felt a lone tear fall slowly down her cheek, stop for a moment on her chin, and watched it drop down onto her leg. She closed her eyes and attempted to calm herself, but it wasn't really any use. However, she was snapped out of it as she felt Meiling grab onto her hands, interlacing their fingers.

"Wh-what are you doing!?" Sakuya yelled out, suprised at this sudden turn of events.

"Just go with it." Meiling replied.

The gatekeeper cleared her mind and sat with Sakuya's hands in her own. She began to gather all of her energy toward her center, effectively forgetting all of her pain. All emotion was lost, the world lost color to her. When not a single bit more of energy could possibly be gathered, Meiling held onto it for a moment. It was then that Sakuya began to catch on to what Meiling was hoping to do. Feeling a strange transfer of energy between the two's hands, Sakuya began to feel her strength be drained all but for a moment. As Meiling slowly led her and Sakuya's qi to her arms, she took a deep breath, and then made a sharp movement outwards with her arms.

In a mighty blow of superhuman strength, the ropes were broken.

Meiling stood up, weakly at first, but gained her balance. Her leg was still in pain, but she could at least walk on it now. She walked around the post that the two were tied against, and saw Sakuya for the first time since they had been in that room. Her hair was an absolute mess, her dress was torn in several places. There was a large wrapping bandage around her arm, but she looked pale either way - Sakuya definitely looked as if she was in no condition to be fighting. Meiling extended an arm and offered it to the maid.

"Come on, Sakuya-san. We're going to go save the mistress."

Sakuya sat and stared up at Meiling for a moment. The gatekeeper's blue eyes shone with her tears, but burned with passion and confidence. Meiling didn't look too well off to be fighting either, but Sakuya could tell that she wasn't about to give up, and that the sheer emotion and will that must be burning inside of her must be immense. The maid slowly reached up and took Meiling's hand, who helped her to her feet.

"I suspect that you don't have any knives on you...This will be a hard battle." Meiling commented, helping Sakuya up and making sure she was ok to stand on her own.

Meiling tried the door to the closet, but it was, expectedly, locked.

"Stand back, Sakuya-san." Meiling said as she took a powerful stance before the door. Despite the pain that began to shoot through her leg, Meiling gathered her energy and delivered a strong punch to the wooden door - causing it to explode outward into several pieces.

"Come on, before they find us!" Meiling yelled before dashing out of the room shakily.

Sakuya, without a word, swallowed her pride and obeyed the gatekeeper.

Smallfry

• Life.....Death.....
  • I own it all
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »
YEAH! GO MEILING! I can totally see them epically burst in a room and say "YO GET YOUR BITCH-ASS HANDS OFF MY MISTRESS, PUNK!"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:14:46 PM by Smallfry »

NEETori

• Using my Extending Arms to steal donations.
  • TECHNOLOGY!
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »
I'm expecting Yumeko to get China Punched into a pile of knives :D

AMZYoshio

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »
Meiling and Sakuya quietly ran through the halls of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, attempting to locate Remilia, or anybody rather. After they had broken out of the small room they were in, they determined that they were closest to the library - and it was there that they started.

"Lady Patchouli? Are you here?"

Of course, Meiling got no answer from the deserted library. The musty air was stagnant and strange - but then again, this was normal for the library. However, knowing that Patchouli was not in the library was more than a bit concerning - the pair had no idea how long they had been passed out, and any number of things could have happened in their down time.

Leaving the ancient library, Meiling decided that it would be possibly a good idea to see if Flandre was still in her basement. She reasoned that having her on their side would be a definite plus if they were to get into any sort of battles, especially if Yumeko's master was more powerful than she was. However, just as with the library, they found the basement of the Scarlet Devil Mansion to be completely empty and devoid of life.

"This is strange...There's not even a single fairy maid about." Meiling noted. "You'd think that SOMEBODY would have gone into hiding, or been looking for us, or SOMETHING..."

Sakuya had no comment on this, nor had she on any part of Meiling's plans - she had been oddly quiet ever since they had left the small closet. The pair made their way up the stairs of the mansion nonetheless, heading toward Remilia's bedchamber and balcony. If the mistress were to be anywhere, it would be there, seeing how it was still day, and she would have been asleep no doubtedly when Shinki made her way to the mansion.

However, as Meiling and Sakuya neared the grandiose double doors leading to their mistress's room, a chilling fear spread over them both. This fear wasn't anything that could be explained, except for the fact that both ladies felt as if beyond those doors lied what could be only described as their ultimate destiny.

"Come on, Sakuya-san. We're gonna get this over with." Meiling affirmatively said.

She tried the door, and it was strangely open. Slowly opening the door, the gatekeeper peeked inside, and was set upon quite an awful scene.

"Ah, the gatekeeper. You and your maid, come, take a seat."

Sitting delightfully in the center of the room was a woman with long, white hair, wearing robes of red. Standing next to her was the blonde maid that Meiling and Sakuya had dueled earlier, looking over the two as they entered with extreme caution.

"My name is Shinki, but you probably already knew that~" Shinki said with a cheerful smile. "And I've heard that you met my maid, Yumeko."

As Meiling looked around, she saw that Remilia and Flandre were tied up on the balcony, sitting in the direct sun - something that couldn't be great for the vampires. Patchouli was bound as well next to them, and a fairy was standing next to her with what looked like a feather duster.

"It's funny," Shinki started, seeing the shock on Meiling's face, "how such powerful people can be taken care of with such simple solutions, like sunlight or dust." The demon goddess laughed heartily, and Yumeko let off a small smirk.

"Why are you doing this?" Meiling asked forcefully, clearly sick of Shinki's games. "We've done nothing to you, and what do you hope to gain from this savage assault!?"

"Mmm, it's none of your business. Now, you can be a good girl and cooperate with me, or you can end up like your mistress over there." Shinki smiled again, clearly not taking Meiling seriously at all.

Both Meiling and Sakuya looked at eachother, and Sakuya nodded at Meiling, confirming her thoughts.

"How about THIS plan, Shinki." Meiling barked, beginning to take an offensive stance. "You leave this place at once, and I WON'T break every bone in your body." Sakuya stood behind the gatekeeper, silently, but ready as ever.

"Mmm, somehow I knew it would come to this. Yumeko, put them back in their room. And make sure to double tie their ropes this time." Shinki casually said, picking up a cup of tea and beginning to sip from it.

Without a word, the blonde haired maid drew two short swords and flew at the pair extremely quickly. However, Meiling was ready for this move, and stepped out of the way swiftly. Sakuya jumped up into the air and out of the way, and attempted to drive a kick into Yumeko's back. This move was quickly dodged, but met with a powerful punch by Meiling, sending the blonde maid back several feet. Standing back up, Yumeko saw the two standing in front of her, ready for more.

With a smirk, Yumeko began to toss out her swords, and mysteriously draw more from seemingly nowhere. Dodging out of the way, Meiling and Sakuya parted in separate ways, but kept an eye out on purpose - Yumeko could not keep track of them both at the same time. Running to her enemy's left, Meiling attempted to flank Yumeko and drive her to the ground - a move that was met with a powerful kick to Meiling's center. However, while her back was turned, Sakuya grabbed the other maid from behind, putting her into a submission hold. When Meiling quickly sprung back up, she noticed what Sakuya was attempting, and quickly dashed over to the two to take advantage of the situation.

"You fight for real, huh? Well, how real is this?" Meiling ragefully said, before delivering an extremely powerful blow directly to Yumeko's stomach.

With all of the wind knocked out of her, the blonde maid fell to the ground as Sakuya let go of her. Picking up a sword, Sakuya pointed it at Yumeko and glared directly into her eyes, causing a fear that Yumeko had never felt before.

"You done?" Meiling asked rhetorically, ready to dish out more punishment to the blonde maid.

Yumeko looked at the gatekeeper, and then up the blade of her own sword to Sakuya.

"Oh come Yumeko, show some honor." Shinki casually said, beginning to stand up. "They're clearly sparing you your life, show gratitude to the ladies."

The blonde maid looked at her mistress, then closed her eyes and looked downward.

"I admit defeat. You've won." She grudgingly said.

"And quite quickly too, I might add." Shinki disappointingly added in. "You've lost your touch Yumeko, I'm not happy with you."

"I'm sorry, ojou-sama..." Yumeko groveled.

Sakuya lowered the blade, confident that Yumeko would not get up again - maids never disobey their mistresses. The pair turned their attention to Shinki, now standing above Yumeko, and did not know what to expect from this strange woman. To them, she could be anybody - she was from Makai, and somehow held power over the already powerful Yumeko. A scary thought.

"Now then, about your mistress..." Shinki began to spread her arms. "...I'm afraid I can't let you save her. You see, I need her as a bargaining chip of sorts."

"And it's my job to protect her." Meiling retorted, taking another powerful stance. "I'm afraid I can't let you stay here - the mistress would be most displeased."

"Oh, all this talk coming from a little China girl? How amusing." Shinki laughed as she began to rise up into the air. "Just because I need that vampire, doesn't mean I need a worthless gatekeeper like you."

--

Remilia, Flandre and Patchouli all watched the spectacle from outside. The vampire sisters felt extremely weak and devoid of power due to the sun, and Patchouli had her own personal fairy to aggrivate her athsma if she attempted to act up.

"Onee-chan...Is Meiling going to be ok?" Flandre innocently asked, having lost all hope of escaping her current situation long ago.

"I don't know, Flandre..." Remilia replied, currently suffering a break in her usually immense charisma. "That Shinki lady is really strong..."

"I think...th.." Patchouli paused to let off a large sneeze, to which the fairy laughed. "...I think that it really depends." She finally managed to say.

"On what?" Remilia asked back.

"Sakuya." The librarian simply replied.

All three of the girls knew that Patchouli was most likely right, and they all had their assorted thoughts about the direness of the situation. The three looked back into the room just in time to see Shinki sprout a pair of purple and red wings - clearly a sign of the start of a very powerful battle.

--

"Come, with all your might!!!" Shinki declared out before sending out an extremely large wave of powerful danmaku. Unlike most danmaku in Gensokyo, however, these bullets weren't made to simply tag an opponent out of a spellcard - they were made to deliver extreme pain to the target; made to deliver death.

Quickly reacting, Meiling and Sakuya dodged their separate ways as they had done with Yumeko - they hoped to double team Shinki in a like manner. However, Shinki was more skillful than her maid, and saw this move coming - she locked Sakuya in an extremely thick wave of danmaku, causing her to dodge and graze, which impeded her progress. Whilst Sakuya was busy with that, Shinki turned her attention to Meiling, and caught her off guard - causing the gatekeeper to fly backwards and hit a wall forcefully.

The three ladies battled fiercely for what seemed to be an eternity - Meiling and Sakuya fought their hardest, but it seemed that Shinki had no weak points, as they weren't able to land a single hit on her. They were also having their previous injuries take their tolls - Meiling, despite her qi training, was becoming wobbly on her feet, and Sakuya's arm was acting up immensely. Shinki saw this, and knew that the end of the battle must be near.

After deflecting yet another attack, Shinki used a wave of energy to push the pair back onto their knees, and ceased her attacks for but a moment.

"Come now ladies, as Yumeko had said before, this is not your fight!" Shinki smiled. "If you surrender now, I will not harm you any further."

Meiling and Sakuya stood kneeling, both breathing heavily, both wounded heavily. Meiling had taken the brunt of most attacks, however, and was only continuing to fight off of her qi - under normal circumstances, she would have collapsed long ago. As the gatekeeper kneeled, she stared at the ground and watched as her sweat and blood mixed together painfully and dripped to the floor. She looked to her side and saw Sakuya doing much the same, still looking somewhat pale.

"Well?" Shinki inquired after a moment of ceasefire.

The gatekeeper looked back at the ground for a moment, then looked up at Shinki.

"Lady...Lady Shinki. You are powerful, I do admit." She began. "However, I told you before..." Meiling stood up slowly, then took an offensive pose once again. "...It's my job to protect the mistress."

Behind her, Sakuya struggled to her feet as well, and then looked up at her nemesis with her tired, blue eyes.

"It's my duty to ensure her safety..." Meiling continued, then looked back at Sakuya. Meiling smiled weakly as she saw what she was starting to do. Looking back at Shinki, Meiling smirked.

"...And it's high time you left."

Sakuya continued to stare at Shinki, with her fiery, red eyes.

Before anybody could react, Sakuya was behind the Demon Goddess, and had one of Yumeko's short swords pointed at her back. Seeing this opportunity, Meiling pushed the limits of her body and flew up into the air, returning quickly with a colorful, qi-powered kick aimed directly at Shinki's stomach. Shinki, being confused at the extremely sudden movement of Sakuya and Meiling, hesitated for but a moment, ensuring Meiling to 100% accuracy.

Shinki flew to the side and crashed through a large shelf, landing on the ground in a resounding thud. She picked herself up after a moment, and looked at the pair who landed in front of her, taking fighting poses once again.

"...Fools." Shinki glared at first, but then she slowly bared an evil grin. The pair were confused at first, but at that moment, Meiling sharply screamed and fell to the ground as blood spurted to the ground. Sakuya quickly looked behind her, seeing Yumeko with a dark look in her eye holding a bloodied sword, and beginning to turn to the maid. Becoming equally as angry, Sakuya swung the sword she held and barely missed hitting her target, grazing a bit of Yumeko's sleeve.

As Shinki regained her senses, and as the two maids dueled with their blades, Meiling laid on the ground, holding her arm in pain. With two limbs harboring major wounds, things were not looking up for the gatekeeper. As she lay on the ground, slowly bleeding out, she closed her eyes tightly, and many thoughts went through her head. She wondered if she would ever get out of this situation alive, or if the mistress was going to be ok. She wondered if Shinki would take over the Mansion, or if she was even going to live to see any of these answers.

But then, one more question crossed her mind. Meiling decided that this was the most important question yet, and decided that she must ensure a good outcome in its favor.

Gathering what little strength she had left, Meiling got back to her feet just as Shinki began to re-cast her main spells. Seething through the pain, Meiling looked at Shinki with a dark look in her eye.

"Back for more, China girl?" Shinki smirked as she readied more danmaku to throw at her.

"My...name...isn't...China!!!" Meiling yelled out angrily. With one powerful move, Meiling dashed forward with all of her might, moving at speeds comparable to a tengu. Catching Shinki off guard, Meiling placed a powerful palm into her center, and passed right on by, stopping several feet behind the Goddess.

Shinki stopped and looked down slowly to her stomach, which was building more and more with an extremely powerful energy. A colorful aura began to glow out of her, and before she knew it, this energy exploded into a mass of qi energy, being fed upon from both hers and Meiling's. The resulting blast knocked Sakuya and Yumeko to the ground, and caused the glass on the large door to the balcony to shatter, as well as every window in the room. Shinki flew high into the air, straight through the ceiling, and fell back only after several seconds of sustained flight. The impact knocked the Goddess out cold immediately, and left a sizable crack in the floor.

Yumeko viewed this spectacle with shock and fear, and Sakuya took advantage of this pause to quickly take two swipes at both of her arms - causing Yumeko to drop the swords that she was holding and scream out in terrible pain. Dropping to her knees, Yumeko was met with a bloody sword tip in her face, as well as a less than happy glare. Without a word, Sakuya swiftly kicked the blonde maid with a sharp heel, causing her to black out, as well as leaving a sizable cut down her cheek.

Meiling, after hearing her target impact with the floor, fell to her knees harshly. Pain throbbed all throughout her body, and every bit of her existence simply hurt. She was completely out of strength, as that last blow had literally taken all of the energy out of her. The blood loss that she suffered from her open wounds caused her to feel light headed, and feeling the sweat she had worked up over the course of the battle mix into her cuts didn't help matters. However, despite all of her pain, only one thing was on her mind.

Meiling wondered whether or not Sakuya would be proud of her.

"Meiling!!!!" Flandre yelled after being untied by Sakuya. She ran as fast as she could over to the gatekeeper, and looked at Meiling's motionless figure lying on the ground, then quickly looked back. "Sakuya, do something!!!" She frantically yelled, her eyes tearing up immensely.

Remilia came quickly behind, and Patchouli walked slowly to the scene. Whilst Remilia attempted to calm Flandre, Patchouli looked back when she noticed that Sakuya was not following them.

"Sakuya-san?" Patchouli inquired, as if to ask why she was hesitating.

The silver haired maid looked down at the ground and clenched her fist. Being in much pain herself, Sakuya stood there as Patchouli, and eventually Remilia and Flandre, looked upon her. Her legs shook, her arms felt like jelly, and every muscle in her body was on fire. However, it was not these symptoms that were bothering the perfect and elegant maid.

With everybody watching, Sakuya walked slowly over to Meiling, and saw her lying on the ground. Face down, Meiling's clothes were torn, and blood was still slowly streaming out of her wounds. Sakuya saw her, Meiling, and having suffered through the same battle as her, felt an emotion that she had never felt toward the gatekeeper.

A small tear hit the ground.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:44 PM »
Amazing battle scene. Sakuya and Meiling sure make a great team.

Reverie

• International Nue month
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 08:36:11 AM »
where is the red and white , when you need her

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
ADMIT SAKUYA, YOU ENVY MEILING, SHE IS MUCH BETTER THAN YOU!
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

Azzy

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »
Five Point Palm: Exploding heart? :V

The battle scene was in one word 'superb'!

AMZYoshio

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »
The aftermath of the battle was dealt with bitterly. Not too long after Shinki and her maid were defeated, Reimu herself showed up at the mansion, albeit a bit too late. Reimu reasoned that she had sensed a large expulsion of energy coming from the mansion and decided to investigate, and although her motives were true enough, that didn't stop her from being yelled at by a very angry Flandre. Fortunately for the shrine maiden, the sun was still taking its toll on the vampire, so a bloody battle was avoided. To help calm the girl, Reimu helped clean up the area after taking Shinki and Yumeko back to Makai, as well as holding a formal duel with the Goddess some days later to help quell her thirst for trouble.

Both Sakuya and Meiling were put under the care of anybody who was able - which equated out to mostly Remilia and Patchouli. The maid was back on her feet safely within 2 days, and was able to help around the mansion again in 3, although slightly against Remilia's judgement - she feared that Sakuya was going to hurt herself. The maid prevailed, however, and continued to serve her mistress dutifully, although perhaps a bit carefully.

However, as the days ticked on by, Meiling showed little signs of recovery. Her immense blood loss and overexertion caused numerous complications with the healing process that Patchouli attempted upon her, and as a few days turned into a week and a half, the tenants of the Scarlet Devil Mansion began to lose hope. The gatekeeper had not been concious since her battle with Shinki, and had only been kept alive through intensive care. Remilia herself, after the 6th day, was beginning to have her doubts, and by the 8th decided that it might be best to begin to think that Meiling would never be waking up.

A great wave of sadness began to seep across the Scarlet Devil Mansion as on the 9th day, Remilia decided to make a speech to the ladies of her mansion. Remilia sat at the head of a long table, with Sakuya at her side. Any and all who were important in the Mansion, along with assorted fairy maids who were curious, were present to hear their mistress speak.

"My friends..." Remilia started out, "...servants and advisors alike. We all know of the incident that has happened nine days past. I must once again congratulate Sakuya for her help in defending our mansion. However, I must also bring up our gatekeeper. Whilst some of you may have thought of her as incompetent or a slacker, I must admit to you all that I hold respect for her, as it was with her help that this mansion was defended successfully against our assailants. However, our gatekeeper has suffered terrible wounds from her fight to ensure our safety, as some of you may know, and she unfortunately has not shown any signs of recovery." The vampire paused and closed her eyes, gathering herself.

"It is with immense regret that I must say that Meiling may no longer be with us in days to come."

Flandre sat with Patchouli near Remilia, and at that point, buried her face into the librarian's arm and began to cry. Patchouli herself also bowed her head solemnly in regret.

"I thank you, Patchouli, for your efforts to keep our gatekeeper alive as long as you have. We shall continue to monitor her, however, things are anything but hopeful for our dear Meiling. I ask that you all think of her fondly, for without her, we may not be here today." The elder vampire sister sat down in her chair and closed her eyes, bowing her head ever so slightly.

Sakuya sat to Remilia's right with a blank look on her face. Not moving or showing any emotion, she simply sat and absorbed Remilia's words.

--

Things were dark. Everything was in a confusing swirl, and no sense of direction could be made. There was a light. The light was so welcoming, so inviting. It drew her in, it called to her.

No, She thought. I can't leave. I have a duty to fufill.

The light was abandoned. But where to go? All was dark. Nothing.

But suddenly, red. A red tint began to rise upon the area, and objects began to form.

Meiling slowly stirred at last, opening her eyes for the first time in days. She heard a shuffling of objects, then quickly a gasp, and footsteps hurrying to where she was. Meiling opened her eyes fully and gained her bearings to find Sakuya looking into her eyes with a shocked, yet relieved look on her face.

"S...Sakuya-san...?" Meiling asked slowly. She coughed several times and cringed in pain, but continued to look at the maid.

"You're alive!!!" Sakuya exclaimed excitedly, genuinely suprised at her recovery.

"Did...did we win...?" Meiling asked weakly.

"You need your rest, don't strain yourself." Sakuya warned the gatekeeper.

"How long have I been out...?" Meiling asked wearily, beginning to sit up. Sakuya attempted to get her to lay down once more, but Meiling sat up nonetheless.

"For eleven days." The maid replied.

"Days?" Meiling said with a shock.

"Yes...I suppose your wounds may have healed enough by that time for you to move a bit." Sakuya rationalized for letting Meiling stay sitting up in her bed.

"How was I out for DAYS? I should be..." Meiling began to trail off.

"Dead. I know." Sakuya finished the gatekeeper's sentence. "Lady Patchouli and the Mistress personally attended to you for slightly over a week to attempt to nurse you back to health."

"Attempt...?" Meiling inquired.

"Yes...After the ninth day, the mistress lost hope for you, and after the tenth, Patchouli deemed you a lost cause. You showed absolutely no signs of recovery, even up to before you woke up just now."

"Then how am I alive?" Meiling asked, still confused about the entire matter.

Sakuya stayed silent and looked down at the ground and held a tray vertically in front of her, in the true fashion of a maid. She stayed like that for a moment, causing Meiling to begin to wonder what the situation could be.

"Sakuya-san...?"

The maid looked back up slowly at the gatekeeper. "After Lady Patchouli left you for the last time, I entered here to tidy the room." Sakuya placed the tray on a table next to the bed. "I...." Sakuya paused and attempted to find the correct words.

"She stayed in here all night with you."

"Lady Patchouli!!!" Sakuya quickly turned to the door to the room, where Patchouli was standing.

"You see, I don't think Sakuya wanted to give up on you." Patchouli slowly walked over to the small table and picked up a book, then held it at her side. "She wouldn't leave this room for anything." The librarian slowly strode back out of the room, but then paused at the doorway.

"...It's good to see you again, Meiling." Patchouli wore a small smile as she said those words, then was off to the library once more.

Meiling looked at Sakuya, who was still looking at the door from which Patchouli had left. Her cheeks began to turn a shade of red, and then she simply looked at the floor again.

"Is that true, Sakuya-san?" Meiling asked, being extremely suprised at this new information.

Sakuya stared at the floor for a minute longer, and then sat on the bed next to Meiling softly.

"I just...After the fight, I've been meaning to tell you something." Sakuya hesitantly said. Meiling wondered what it might have been, but before she could ask, Sakuya threw her arms around the gatekeeper and leaned her head into Meiling's shoulder.

"Thank you...Meiling...For everything you've done."

Meiling sat, with Sakuya hugging her willingly for the first time in what seemed to be an eternity. In fact, Meiling actually could never think of a time when she had at all. The wave of emotion that poured over the chinese girl's heart and mind was absolutely intoxicating - not only was Sakuya thanking her for all of her hard work, but she had called her by her real name.

It was at that moment that Meiling hugged Sakuya back and lost herself in her joy, letting tears of sheer happiness begin to trickle down her cheeks. She embraced the warmth and kindness that Sakuya had finally given to her, and almost felt completely overwhelmed by the sensation. And, for the first time since the two had known eachother, the feeling was mutual. Sakuya herself felt guilty for mistreating Meiling, and was glad that her coldness was not treated with anger, but instead unconditional love and devotion.

The two sat embraced, basking in their own tears and joy, for quite some time. Neither of them cared one bit though, for any and all awkwardness was forgiven and forgotten due to the newfound bond that the two had developed over their trial.

It was on that day that Meiling had officially reclaimed her rightful respect.

However, there was one more matter to attend to...

--

"I'll just be sneaking by, da ze~"

"Hold it right there, Marisa!!!"

Meiling stood firmly in front of the gate, facing a smiling and headstrong Marisa.

"Oh come on, how many times do I have to do this before you'll just start letting me in?" Marisa smirked, lazily pulling out her hakkero. "No matter, using my sparks actually feels good. Well, for me at least, ze~"

Meiling gathered her qi and stood ready for any attack. However, as she gathered herself, she felt a newfound energy that she had never felt before. She knew that everybody in the mansion was now actually proud of her, and as childish as this thought is to some, it gave Meiling an extra edge.

"MASTER SPAAAAARK!!!!" Marisa declared out before a large multicolored laser flew at Meiling, destroying patches of the grass on the ground in its wake.

However, Meiling placed a powerful palm out and split the energy apart, diffusing it and even sending bits of it flying back at Marisa. Marisa dodged out of the way with a suprised look on her face, but then was met with a large kick to the side, which sent her flying and broke her concentration on her spell.

"Wh...what!?" The blonde witch screamed, clearly confused about the situation. "Fine, I'll play hardball!"

Marisa pulled her hat on tightly, then hopped on her broom and zoomed at extremely high speeds directly at the gatekeeper. Meiling dodged switftly, and sent some danmaku to trail her, which Marisa grazed skillfully. Coming in for a second pass, Marisa laced the area with mutlicolored stars trailing in her wake. However, seeing through this quick attack, Meiling stood directly in the way of her trajectory with a fist at the ready. As Marisa neared, Meiling reared back and delivered a powerful wave of energy directly at the witch, knocking her clean off of her broom and ending her chaotic dash.

Marisa stood up shakily, and saw Meiling, who did not have a scratch on her.

"Heh...I see you've been actually training this time. Well, I'm anything but done." Marisa smirked as she regained her balance. "This is personal now, I can't be beaten by stupid old China."

"Her name is Meiling." A voice from behind the witch coldly announced. Marisa turned around quickly and saw Sakuya standing with several knives in her hand, ready to strike.

"Come on now, you have to wait your turn. Didn't Remilia teach her dog that?" Marisa smirked.

"This is a matter of you violating her rules, and I have been instructed to keep order around the mansion." Sakuya cooly retorted.

"And so if you don't leave, we'll be forced to make you." Meiling backed her up, walking over to Sakuya and standing next to her.

Marisa looked at both the ladies, then picked up her broom. "Sheesh, lighten up guys! It's not like I-" She was suddenly cut off by a knife knocking her hat off and pinning it to a tree, followed by a laugh by Meiling.

"Jeez, fine, I'll go! Patch is running out of good books anyway." Marisa took her hat and hopped on her broom, then continued to lazily fly in the direction of the shrine.

"Thanks Sakuya-san." Meiling smiled as Marisa flew out of view.

"Well, don't get too used to it, I'm busy too. Here's your lunch." Sakuya handed the gatekeeper a small box. "It's Chinese dumplings."

"You're the best, Sakuya-san." Meiling thanked the maid. She really did enjoy those dumplings, and knowing that Sakuya had made them just for her made them all that much better.

"You're welcome. Good day, Meiling." Sakuya bowed and returned into the mansion to continue her daily work.

The gatekeeper opened up her box and began to enjoy her lunch.

"The sun is bright, there's not a cloud in the sky~" Meiling reveled at the good weather. "Ah, how I love life~"

And this time, she meant it.

Smallfry

• Life.....Death.....
  • I own it all
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:18 PM »
*sniff* It's....so BEAUTIFUL!! I only wish my own work was this quality!

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 12:02:57 AM »
After seeing everything Meiling has gone through, the happy ending is all the more beautiful ;w;

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

AMZYoshio

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
EXTRA STAGE MINI-CHAPTER:

"So, Meiling, where's that book that you were writing out?"

The book lay in the midst of Makai, with only the first page filled.

"Uh...."

"Don't tell me you didn't do it."

"....I'm sorry?"

"...I guess I could write out a new one for her. A place like that is hard to forget."

"That'd probably be the best idea. Thanks for not getting mad, Sakuya-san."

The maid smiled at the gatekeeper.

"Don't worry about it."