Author Topic: Nue Quest Alter Code 6: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 50441 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Nue Quest Alter Code 6: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #720 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
> "I'm not sure it'll be quite so easy. But I want to talk to Byakuren as well regardless, so I guess we can decide after that."

>"Fair enough for me," says Mokou with a shrug.
>"So, you can get him out of there, right?" says Renko. "We should be able to pitch in after that."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #721 on: September 28, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
> Given the current state of our arms, what do we think is the best way to cart him around?

Done some musing on the greater situation on my way home. I'll have a proper post done up when I get hoem, since I'm still in the middle of one of those 14-hour days I've somehow become really fond of over the past month.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #722 on: September 28, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »
> Given the current state of our arms, what do we think is the best way to cart him around?

>It would probably be easiest to just drag him.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #723 on: September 28, 2011, 10:23:36 PM »
> "All right, let's give this a shot."
> Grab Rinnosuke somewhere draggable and non-sensetive and try dragging him back over to where Renko and Mokou are.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #724 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
> "All right, let's give this a shot."
> Grab Rinnosuke somewhere draggable and non-sensetive and try dragging him back over to where Renko and Mokou are.

>You grab Rinnosuke by the feet, and drag him toward the doorway. It is a little tricky at first, but as you reach icier parts of the floor, Rinnosuke follows along more and more easily. soon, you reach where Renko has been hovering idly without any real troubles save for keeping some traction.
>"Looks like it's only one way," says Renko.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #725 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22:50 AM »
> "Fantastic. Let's get the hell out of here, the less time I spend down here the better."
> Keep on draggin' him.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #726 on: September 29, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »
> "Fantastic. Let's get the hell out of here, the less time I spend down here the better."
> Keep on draggin' him.

>You keep dragging him. Renko moves to join you, grabbing his right leg and letting you keep the left. Things proceed well until you get close to the entrance to the tunnel, where you are forced to take his legs again while Renko takes his arms, and lift him off the ground. Soon you reach the stairs. While dirt covers the ice, it's still a little tricky, but between you and and Renko, you're able to steer him up with minimal trouble while Mokou follows behind, periodically smirking toward you.
>Reaching the dusty room above, you find Byakuren standing the door. "Are you okay?" she says as she sees you emerge.

>_

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #727 on: September 29, 2011, 01:57:50 AM »
>"Yeah, but..."
>"Well, I think he was about to try to do to me whatever he did to Tewi. I knocked him out before he could, but... well, there's no garuntee he couldn't do it when he wakes up, whether I'm actually present or not, and I'd rather not find out. You know any sleep spells? Something we could use to keep him from waking until we've dealt with the greater situation?"
>If we haven't given Tewi's name yes (I can't remember), just call her 'the one who took my spellcards'.
>If she doesn't: "We should ask Patchy, then."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #728 on: September 29, 2011, 02:41:09 AM »
>"Yeah, but..."
>"Well, I think he was about to try to do to me whatever he did to Tewi. I knocked him out before he could, but... well, there's no garuntee he couldn't do it when he wakes up, whether I'm actually present or not, and I'd rather not find out. You know any sleep spells? Something we could use to keep him from waking until we've dealt with the greater situation?"
>If we haven't given Tewi's name yes (I can't remember), just call her 'the one who took my spellcards'.
>If she doesn't: "We should ask Patchy, then."

>Byakuren nods along with you, then says, "Not specifically, no, but I should have what I need at the temple to make something that should keep him asleep for awhile."

>_

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #729 on: September 29, 2011, 02:58:16 AM »
>"As long as he stays asleep."
>Keep heading outside, getting rid of the extra hair as we do.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #730 on: September 29, 2011, 03:16:20 AM »
>"As long as he stays asleep."
>Keep heading outside, getting rid of the extra hair as we do.

>"It should buy you some time, at least," says Byakuren. "And, would you like me to carry him?"

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #731 on: September 29, 2011, 04:15:19 AM »
> "Do you think we can get him to the temple before he wakes up? We have some stuff to talk about, and the less of it done around his ears, the better."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #732 on: September 29, 2011, 04:32:13 AM »
Okay, so, theory time.

I don't see Rinnosuke waking and going "Oh, you clocked me? I guess that means I lose then" and undoing everything, so we still need to find a way to deal with this for good.

If Nue's metaphorical debt wasn't sky high before, it sure is now, and if he wakes up and we're around him, there's no telling what he's capable of doing to us. We're a danger to everyone around us, and Gensokyo as a whole, as long as this issue remains unresolved. Never mind that, evne if he doesn't enlist us for whatever other slavery he can think of, he could probably just drain our natural shapeshifting essence now that he's lost control over the cards.

At this point I believe we need to stash our cards in a safe location. We can defend ourselves; they can't. The ideal location is less one where he has no idea where they are and more where he or anyone else he enlists has to put forth maximum effort to retrieve them. Interesting to note is that he considered the cards his legal property after he paid for them, a personal philosophy we may be able to take advantage of. We can also help ourselves by enlisting the aid of someone that rarely-if-never interacts with him, because he will have no debt control over them. This leads me to two plausible people to whom we can trade our cards (however temporarily). The first is Shuuei, for fairly obvious reasons, and we have the added bonus that Nue would actually think of her. The second, and I can see Guy jumping up and down in excitement over this, is Satori. I would imagine she has never had any dealings with him, he won't be able to sneak-thief anyone by her, and she has big pet guns backing her up should he try a more, uh, direct approach. (Not to mention a city full of oni who will probably be more than glad to rip in half anyone they find trying to steal in the name of the person that stole all their money.) Nue knows the second and the third for herself, and I don't think it unreasonable to inquire into the first one. Trade all of our cards to either of them for a door prize and a promise that they never hand the cards over to Rinnosuke or anyone claiming to work for him, and they should be safe for the duration of this disaster.

After that, we can maybe play hide-and-go-seek for a while, or consult with some powerful minds, or maybe the tengu will finally relent and let us through to two of the best people equipped to handle this situation. But we can deal with that as it comes, because we're Nue Motherfucking Houjuu. We'll probably want to get in contact with Ran again, though, since Patchy(?) dropped Yukari's name under "if she were awake this would be solved already". We don't necessarily have to worry about solving things permanently; just for long enough for her to wake up, and she'll take care of the rest.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #733 on: September 29, 2011, 05:49:59 AM »
You know, the only reason I keep suggesting Satori is because we keep running into situations she'd be quite capable of assisting with (mind-reading can kind of be useful like that). That being said, I think that yeah, she's the best bet. I'm not sure why we need to hide them, though; shouldn't we keep them with us? I know we can't use them right now, but we should be able to eventually.

Now, if our goal is to hold things off until Yukari wakes up, then that's easy. We'd just need to keep Rinnosuke asleep for an extended period of time, and I'm sure there's a spell or something for that, so asking Patchy would be helpful there. I'd also advocate going  tp the mountain again, and if the tengu still don't let us up, well, we can ask that a message be sent like we did the first time we were there. And I think that, especially if we explain why we need to talk to the gods (by which I mean go into detail about the whole similar-to-faith thing and what we're thinking of in terms of that) but probably even if we don't, we can at least get them to deliver the message more quickly this time. So I advocate keeping the cards and heading for the mountain.I think that the mountain is the way to settle everything, as reversing the change leading to the whole 'spark' thing ought to get rid of any power Rinnosuke is drawing from them, too, and thus remove anything he's done (such as the arrow paradox thing that's preventing us from getting to the money), so regardless of what we do with the cards, we should hit the mountain as soon as possible.

EDIT: Something I just thought of: if merely telling us things is enough to get us to owe Rinnosuke, then any action that he benefits from would mean he'd owe whoever took that action, right? And I'm pretty sure that Byakuren's done a lot that he's benefited from, since, well, that's the kind of thing she does (if nothing else, her efforts to help people would mean that Rinnosuke has more potential customers staying alive, though I'm sure there's something a bit less indirect from that.

>"Hey, Byakuren, have you ever done anything that's benefitted Rinnosuke in any manner? Anything at all?"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:55:16 AM by GuyYouMetOnline »

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #734 on: September 29, 2011, 07:18:34 AM »
If we're hiding the spellcards with someone, I like Shuuei better.  In addition to her being much lower profile than Satori, the thing about Rinnosuke's power is that it is fueled by belief.  A cyclical, self-consuming black hole of belief.  The force of oni and nuclear fusion aren't to be sneered at, but what is needed to fight this power is an opposing strength of will.  Shuuei, as we've seen, is incredibly stubborn, and her ideology directly conflicts with Rinnosuke's, what with the whole uber-privacy vs. immaterials exchange thing.  Plus if shit goes bad she still has her shadow stealth and in the worst case, she could take him out of the picture for a bit.

But what I really want to do with the spellcards is destroy them.  As far as I can tell, this scheme uses them as a focus, so getting rid of them would screw it nice and hard.  It shouldn't be that tough either; even if Rinnosuke protected them with his faith, we have a new friend that specializes in destruction.  So we can trade them to Flan for whatever then have her pop them.  We can draw up new copies after this business is over with.
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #735 on: September 29, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »
> "..I can't tell, does it seem like whatever Rinnosuke was doing down there is still, well, set to go off? Some kinda power surge or stopper or something?"

I think we should break the barrier before we go anywhere, since it's guarding the center of where Rinnosuke was doing this ritual, and the barrier itself might be what he was doing, making it expand to reject all currency maybe?. The barrier seems to be linked to the coins themselves. Purvis said there were no coins around Rinnosuke, correct? If we dig under them from the one-way side of the barrier and disturb the way they're laid out, it might either open the barrier or break it completely.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #736 on: September 29, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »
EDIT: Something I just thought of: if merely telling us things is enough to get us to owe Rinnosuke, then any action that he benefits from would mean he'd owe whoever took that action, right? And I'm pretty sure that Byakuren's done a lot that he's benefited from, since, well, that's the kind of thing she does (if nothing else, her efforts to help people would mean that Rinnosuke has more potential customers staying alive, though I'm sure there's something a bit less indirect from that.

This is correct, but Rinnosuke is in a unique position to take advantage of the exchange-of-information/services/whatever system. Byakuren doesn't have the ability to force anything on him, nor does anyone else. It's entirely a one-way street, which is what makes the situation so threatening.

But what I really want to do with the spellcards is destroy them.  As far as I can tell, this scheme uses them as a focus, so getting rid of them would screw it nice and hard.  It shouldn't be that tough either; even if Rinnosuke protected them with his faith, we have a new friend that specializes in destruction.  So we can trade them to Flan for whatever then have her pop them.  We can draw up new copies after this business is over with.

Do understand that "drawing up new copies" is not at all a trivial task. We have multiple outlets for keeping them hidden for long enough that we fix things; I have a hard time justifying destroying them given this.

I think we should break the barrier before we go anywhere, since it's guarding the center of where Rinnosuke was doing this ritual, and the barrier itself might be what he was doing, making it expand to reject all currency maybe?. The barrier seems to be linked to the coins themselves. Purvis said there were no coins around Rinnosuke, correct? If we dig under them from the one-way side of the barrier and disturb the way they're laid out, it might either open the barrier or break it completely.

I'm less than inclined to do anything with the coins (as much as digging under them did occur to me) because disrupting the coins risks damaging the chances of restoring the economy properly. Remember, we have no idea as of yet how to pull that off.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #737 on: September 29, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
> "Do you think we can get him to the temple before he wakes up? We have some stuff to talk about, and the less of it done around his ears, the better."

>"I can take him directly there," says Byakuren. "I'm not sure if it will be before he wakes up, but I am confident that I can draw him quite a distance from here before he does, at the least."
>Mokou starts toward the front door. "I'm going to go put that fire out."

> "..I can't tell, does it seem like whatever Rinnosuke was doing down there is still, well, set to go off? Some kinda power surge or stopper or something?"

>"It's possible," says Byakuren. "But if that were the case, I would think he would have made more of an effort escape after being discovered. As well, given the complex nature of what he seems to be trying, I can't see it being something that would direct itself."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #738 on: September 29, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
> "Yeah, let's have you take him, then. But we're going to want to act fast, because if he wakes up and I' around, I think I may end up endangering everyone."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #739 on: September 29, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »
> "Yeah, let's have you take him, then. But we're going to want to act fast, because if he wakes up and I' around, I think I may end up endangering everyone."

>Byakuren nods, and moves to pick up the unconscious merchant.
>"What kind of endangering?" says Renko, frowning, as Byakuren hefts the man over her shoulder.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #740 on: September 29, 2011, 04:30:51 PM »
> "I don't know. It would depend on what he wants to do with me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #741 on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »
> "I don't know. It would depend on what he wants to do with me."

>Renko nods, and starts to follow Byakuren out.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #742 on: September 29, 2011, 04:51:47 PM »
> Go with them.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #743 on: September 29, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
> Go with them.

>You follow them outside.  Clouds still cover the sky, and you feel a single raindrop hit your cheek. Mokou kneels in the middle of the road, methodically scooping dirt onto a rather large fire build there. Without a word, Byakuren takes to the sky and begins flying northward toward the village.
>"Need anything else?" Renko asks.

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #744 on: September 29, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
> "Don't think so. But I want to check one more thing."
> Turn to Mokou.
> "Hey, Mokou. You know Tewi, right? In your experience, how easily intimidated is she?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #745 on: September 29, 2011, 06:12:14 PM »
> "Don't think so. But I want to check one more thing."
> Turn to Mokou.
> "Hey, Mokou. You know Tewi, right? In your experience, how easily intimidated is she?"

>Renko nods.
>"Tewi?" says Mokou, looks up from her task. "I don't really know her personally, like, but I've seen her in the forest often enough. Slippery as hell when she wants to be. Personally, I get the feeling she'd be the one doing the intimidating rather than the other way around."
>"I guess I'll go home," says Renko. "I want to help out and all, but I think I'd mostly just get int he way. I barely understand any of this..."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #746 on: September 29, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
> Grin at Renko.
> "Welcome to Gensokyo, kid. Most of us still don't fully understand how you even got here in the first place. But things have a funny way of working out. I'll be sure to let you know when and how you can help out."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #747 on: September 29, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
> Grin at Renko.
> "Welcome to Gensokyo, kid. Most of us still don't fully understand how you even got here in the first place. But things have a funny way of working out. I'll be sure to let you know when and how you can help out."

>"Heh, alright," says Renko. "I'll see you later, then."

>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #748 on: September 29, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »
> Did we verbally commit to returning to the temple?
> What happened to that apron?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:39:51 PM by Kilgamayan »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #749 on: September 29, 2011, 09:46:10 PM »
> Did we verbally commit to returning to the temple?
> What happened to that apron?

>You did not.
>You grabbed it with the rest of your stuff, after digging the tunnel.

>_