Author Topic: Gensou Shoujo Taisen Scarlet - Youyoumu Translation Project  (Read 65468 times)

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
Re: Gensou Shoujo Taisen Scarlet - Youyoumu Translation Project
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 02:03:01 AM »
Alright, down to business! I hope this isn't much of a bump, but oh well.

The first thing to do would be to extract the game's untranslated data, like the conversations and the menus. I will do my best to translate them, with the help of anyone that would like to. We can worry about the technical stuff like the save carry-overs later.

By the way, has a patch been released for the game yet, like a patch for the Japanese game? If so, please link me to it!
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
http://sanbondo.blog81.fc2.com/

This would be the blog/website for the game. I'm linking this in particular because there's possibly going to be more updates for the game. Better to have the site link just in case, right?

The current patch at this point is 1.0.6.1, and all patches are available here: http://ux.getuploader.com/sanbondo/

I'm personally not sure if you can update from 1.0 to 1.0.6.1 directly (you might *have* to go from 1.0 to 1.0.1 and so on or 1.0 to 1.0.5 if you're lucky) so make sure to check that.

And I've had their website bookmarked for...far too long...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:52:48 AM by Soul Devour »

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »
Thank you very much!

Although this does lead to some complications. I will get to reuploading the files again so we can be sure of stuff.

EDIT: The order of the patches is strange... Could you please explain the order?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:56:09 PM by Lukesky180 »
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
What do you mean by the order?

It appears they do not have a 1.00->1.05 or higher patch, so you will need to install each one individually: so 1.00->1.01, then 1.01->1.02, etc etc until you hit the current 1.061.  But once you hit 1.05, you can use the "gsw02_update_105_1061" patch to go straight to 1.061.  IIRC, the game discs sold in the online stores install at 1.40.  If you want, I can check what my copy installs with.  If you have 1.00 to start with, you need to update to 1.01 first, since the first patch available on the other mirror is 1.01->1.02.  The 1.01 patch is still available on the http://magics.ddo.jp/index/p/1186.html mirror for their patches.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:46 AM »
I see, thank you. As soon as I patch the game, I will reupload the files.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »
Do keep in mind that they did say they plan to have a 1.07 patch out in the near future.

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »
No real news from the coding front due to impending finals, but I should be able to take a solid whack at it over break. I hope to at least be able to pull out scripts and menus and such without explicitly decoding the DAT files, but we will see.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 02:27:18 AM »
Thanks, but I think that you should just enjoy the break. I'll be reuploading the files, since multiple patches have come out, and I have yet to download a ~160 MB file to patch the FIRST one, so yeah. Enjoy your break~
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:30 AM »
Hi, Itahara here~ :3
I will join in and try to see If I can decode the data files. My knowledge in this area isn't perfect but I do have some experience decoding and translating. (I'm no good with Kanji..., Memorised Katakana... So-So with Hiragana, but I'm okay in the I.T. department)

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »
That's great! If you can decode the Japanese text, I'll be happy to translate them!
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 09:36:47 AM »
Oh, Great, I will see what I can do.
My Internet was down for quite some time so I was not able to get the files to decode even, I shall get to it and see what I can do right now.

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2012, 04:22:25 AM »
Seems that fishsicles already beat the programming needs of the .dat files.
all needed is for the scripts and were all set.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:23:46 AM by Itahara »

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 04:10:28 AM »
[Will the English patch be compatible with the English save data from Gensou Shoujo Taisen Kou?]

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
Fishcicle should notify me when I upload the files again.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
[Will the English patch be compatible with the English save data from Gensou Shoujo Taisen Kou?]

Fishcicle did say in an earlier post that it would be the hardest thing to make work on that side of things, but it will have to happen nonetheless.  So you can probably consider that a yes.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 02:00:44 AM »
Yes, I agree. I do wish for that to happen.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »
Hey, patch team member of FMW:E here.

I was busy during the starting period of this (although I still managed to scrounge up enough time to blast through the game and provide some translated lists for it) so I didn't really get involved, but I'm glad to see it's working out of sorts. I was mostly a translator and image editor for FMW:E, so I'm not entirely familiar with the tools used to extract the scripts from the .dat files, but I'll try to provide some insight on the hacking process and potential pitfalls based on what I know:

-I see that fishcicle found out that this is a Gamemaker 8.1 creation and (I presume) found a decompiler for it to extract the source code. Just as a precaution, I've tried this before and had problems recompiling a workable exe after making minor changes to the source code due to missing libraries/dlls; I'm not sure if you (fishcicle) have managed to solve this, but I'll just throw it out there if it hasn't been tried yet.

-For the extraction of the dat files, I believe the hacker performed this by finding the routine that read the text files from the .dats in the game's source code, then re-coding that portion to dump the text files that were read into another folder on the hard drive, and creating an executable from the new source code. This circumvented the encryption of the .dat files entirely. I presume something similar can be done for this as well. However, I'm not sure how repacking into a .dat file was done, but I would guess that if there's a way to read from .dat files, there's a way in the source code to write to them as well.

-If the format is anything like in FMWE, then a rough menu patch can already be done based entirely on translating the Japanese strings found in the game executable. In FMWE, most of the important menus and images could be found in the exe itself; the dat files contained most of the game's dialogue, including intermission, mission and battle dialogue, and included some images of certain menus.

-From what I've seen, there isn't an image editor on board yet; I would suggest getting one quickly, or at least once work starts in earnest, as some important menus (such as the status screen) are actually entirely images for the non-variable portions, as well as other important things like the commands themselves (Move/Attack/etc). I wasn't particularly satisfied with the job I did in FMWE, so I hope someone who's better at it can take up the baton here.

-I'm rather busy still after a 9 month hiatus or so, but I'm also willing to help in translation if it is required. Though it seems there's enough manpower on that end, so I'll just focus what time I do have on DoD if that's the case. (Though that's what I said during GoS/FMWE too, and look how that ended up...)

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
I'm just glad that people are willing to translate this. It looks like this game is very hard to translate. It has a lot of dialogues, not to mention the difficulty hacking the files.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
Hacking the files is the main thing that I'm worrying about. Looks like opening it in Notepad++ won't work, but it was worth a try...
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »
Ah.... seems there is more progress needing to be made at this front, I will see if the structure is like the first game.
If the details are correct we should be going on translating the text and getting another group to edit the images.
-Will try and get the scripts.

(Image editing is not my specialty but i did create 24 sprites at Ragnarok quality within 7 hours) -was such a pain.

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
I hope that this project has not gone silent, Im very much looking forward to being able to play this in english. All the best from me. :derp:

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2013, 01:28:10 AM »
Oh goodness, I hope not.

What I am doing now is translating the text in the game, and that is the most I can do now. Hopefully the programmer(s) and get the files cracked, and we can continue. And the image editing will take a while as well. It's far from silent, but it's also far from finished.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 03:18:22 PM »
It's finally here! Version 1.07 appeared about 2 hours and 30 minutes ago.
If it doesn't have major bugs or something, it will be the final patch.

The save data from the English Version of -Kou- can be moved to the Japanese Version of -You-, so I think there will be minimal problems about that.
Signature

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
Upon hearing that news, I promptly got off my rear and beat up Flandre in Scarlet.

I'm ready for the next installment!

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »
Is there any changelist for that? I looked at the blog and read that there's bonus dialogue but I'm not sure..

Kurosun

• Utsuho's disciple
  • Long life to the Danmaku!
    • Dragged and Trapped (my fiction)
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
I SO hope this project will be over soon, can't wait to play the sequel! If only I could fine where to get the Japanese version, at least to keep it ready for when the English patch will be done...
Anyway, I'm cheering for you!!

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2013, 04:12:54 AM »
Hello gentlemen and ladies, and my sincere apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Blame my professors and Fire Emblem Awakening.

Anyway, I have a general idea as to how to go about cracking the files, but have yet to find time to actually implement it. I hope to get something done... eventually, but the gist of the trick is to modify the functions that load and save the .DAT files. I need more time to study the system, and time is a precious luxury.

Many thanks to Deranged for telling me what is in the .DATs; if they are largely text my life is so much nicer than if they are images.

I promise to eventually get off of my lazy hacker ass and try and help you guys out, since I do still have an interest in getting this translated.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:18:10 AM by fishsicles »

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
Good to hear that you're still interested in helping out with this, fishsicles. Hopefully you'll be able to help us make some more progress in the near future.

Anyway, a couple things I've noticed when messing around with the .exes and source code: (I'm not a hacker nor very experienced with GameMaker, but I downloaded GM8.1 Lite and a decompiler to see what I could do at least.)
  • The patch updating the game to version 1.07 (in addition to adding minor-seeming bug fixes and bonus conversations) seems to have encrypted the game file against decompilers, at least the one I'd been using (found here http://host-a.net/u/AK%20Games/Decompiler, and successfully enough decompiling previous versions I'd tried.) I got this error message http://i.imgur.com/Si1vw6P.png, which from what I can tell means 1.07's exe has been modified with this Anti-Decompiler (http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=422511&page=1). However, I did not have this problem with either 1.06.1 or "gsw02_v108test" (from here http://ux.getuploader.com/sanbondo/download/38/gsw02_v108test.zip, linked by them in the 1.07 blog post. Not sure how many differences there are between these versions, though).
  • After decompiling and attempting to recompile workable .exes, I had what I'm guessing to be the same problem Deranged mentioned (though I'm not sure if he had some indication I didn't that the missing dlls caused new exes to be un-runnable). When trying to remedy this, I was able to find and download 2 missing dlls, CleanMem and Max WinAPI 2 on this site's list http://www.gmtoolbox.com/ (Compare was also listed, but the yoyogames thread linked to had a broken DL link. From the example given, though, this one wouldn't seem impossible to replicate.)  However, after copying the DLLs into my game folder, renaming them to match what seemed to be called for, and decompiling a new gm81 file, I still got the same "Cannot find extension package" messages in GameMaker upon opening the source code. So I'm not really sure how to register the dlls as not being missing, and hope someone else will have better luck / think of something I didn't.

Not sure if the above will be of any help moving things along, but thought I might as well post it here just in case.

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2013, 07:02:57 AM »
I don't know if this is in bad taste, but I must ask.

Could we have an update on your progress? Just a word to show this isn't dead? (I doubt it)

Thank you for doing such a thankless job.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »
I think that we're dead. Or at least pitifully idle. I can't vouch for any of the coding or anything, and the only progress I can vouch for is some translations that I have yet to implement. Other than that, to be honest, we haven't gotten much done.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~