Author Topic: Crawl Arena ~ Monsters fight to the death while we bet fake money!  (Read 52675 times)

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
Re: Crawl Arena ~ Monsters fight to the death while we bet fake money!
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2009, 12:03:25 PM »
actually betting on pesco losing money is looking more attractive now  :V

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
  • Trying to be an engineer
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »
Results are in...

Round 31:  Winner is the kobold, who was generated with poison needles.  Needless to say, the hobgoblin did not get to the kobold in time.  Xom predicted correctly here.

Round 32:  Winner is Cerebov. It was pretty close as Antaeus was far beefier and hit harder, but Cerebov had summoned in some high demons to assist as well as having the absolutely powerful fire spell, Fire Storm.  Cerebov survived severely wounded. Xom was wrong here.

Round 33:  Close match, but the orcs underestimated the power of spammals.  Most of the vanilla orcs died within fifty turns, and the mages went quickly too.  The priests and the warlords did most of the work on the vampires and managed to kill two, however, damage was too great for the orcs, the last samurai vampire knight finished the remaining bunch.  Xom was right here.

Pesco: 20
Xan:  160
Jan-san:  125
Totaku:  150
Edible?:  34
Stuffman:  120
Sylon:  2
wrathie:  55
Affinity:  28
I.P.D.: 35
Pancake: 270
Roukanken: 200
irekaZ: 1
Kanako Yasako: 110
Cairo: 1
MBurusu: 40
Trance: 90
Anathe: 185
T34G3: 30
Xom: 166
Dorian G.: 100

...And I'll probably get this arena back up and running properly tomorrow, because tomorrow I get 24 hour access to good computers.  These ones in the library have a second lag time for EACH move made in Crawl 0.5, and geez I don't want to find out what it's like with 50 monsters on screen or something.  A whole minute to take a turn in Crawl, ew... >_O

Regardless, hold tight, I should be able to get back to a 24 hour schedule soon.  No promises though, cause my life is a big irony.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »
You'd think the big warband should at least have someone that came with a weapon of holy wrath.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2009, 12:13:46 AM »
You'd think the big warband should at least have someone that came with a weapon of holy wrath.

True, but thinking is what random number generators most enjoy undermining. In more ways than one.
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2009, 05:17:38 AM »
That match was the one one where I knew I would lose.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2009, 09:48:24 AM »
Round 31:  Winner is the kobold, who was generated with poison needles.  Needless to say, the hobgoblin did not get to the kobold in time.  Xom predicted correctly here.

What bullshit!!!

I kind of had second thoughts on the warbands being beaten by the vamps, but kobold getting POISON NEEDLES? What the fuck? :/

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
What bullshit!!!

I kind of had second thoughts on the warbands being beaten by the vamps, but kobold getting POISON NEEDLES? What the fuck? :/

Again, the Random Number Generator loves to subvert any and all planning, no matter WHAT game it's in. Crawl, Spelunky, Disgaea, anything.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »
Again, the Random Number Generator loves to subvert any and all planning, no matter WHAT game it's in. Crawl, Spelunky, Disgaea, anything.

That isn't planning, this is just the RNG being a fucking bitch like it is in FE and its fucking two-number pseudo-RNG.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2009, 12:07:07 PM »
hey, chill trance.. I'm putting 20 gold on pesco losing money the next round.

10 Gold... not 20..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:37:11 PM by wrathie »

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »
Actually, to be honest, in 0.5, Kobolds get normal darts rather commonly, and according to my arena runs, hobgoblins die 75% of  the time when they get them since they are so good at throwing them.  With each side only having around 3-4 HP, I think it's easy to see that kobolds somehow have good matchups, which is quite... unexpected.

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2009, 06:02:35 PM »
Wow, trance actually got pissed off? And over an RNG no less?

... Wow...
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »
Pesco: 20
Affinity:  28
MBurusu: 40
Trance: 90
Anathe: 185
Xom: 166

Round 34:
Angel VS Norris
Note:  Angel is one of the VERY FEW holy creatures in the dungeon.  It wields a long sword of holy wrath plus one other weapon of holy wrath.  They're a pretty high level creature and can smite.  Norris on the other hand is awesomeness personified in Crawl. He's an evil surfer that can be generated with any kind of weapon, usually of the kickass variety and has a wide variety of "KILL YOU" spells.  He also has a surf board and is far too manly to wear any armor except swim trunks.

Round 35:
Flaming Corpse VS Ice Devil
Note:  Ice devil is just a much weaker version of the ice fiend, he has a few ice spells and htis you with physical ice attacks.  The flaming corpses just runs around the dungeon looking for someone to hug.  AND SET ON FIRE.  Yes, this guy will run up to you, hug you, and set you on fire. Evil hugs.

Round 36:
Norbert VS Louise
Note:  Norbert and Louise are later uniques in the game.  Norbert is typically generated loaded with armor, large shield, and a heavy hitting weapon, usually with a brand.  He's all about power housing.  Louise is an armor wearing spellcaster.  You really can't do that in Crawl, but this is a unique, she's allowed to break rules.  She's a pretty wimpy fighter but if she does pull out the spells, she has her own "Kill You" conjurations as well as blinking.  However, like most fights like this, standing next to Norbert is a bad idea.

I'll update this some time tomorrow.  No set time, just tomorrow.

Affinity

• hoho
  • ... but I have promises to keep.
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
10 on Louise

Dorian White

• The most handsome non-vampire diplomat you ever encountered ~
  • With a Gandalf like evolution.
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2009, 02:31:47 PM »
20 on Norris
20 on Norbert
Bella gerant alii, tu felix Gensokyo nube. Nam quae Mars aliis, dat tibi diva Venus.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »
Round 34:
Angel VS Norris
Note:  Angel is one of the VERY FEW holy creatures in the dungeon.  It wields a long sword of holy wrath plus one other weapon of holy wrath.  They're a pretty high level creature and can smite.  Norris on the other hand is awesomeness personified in Crawl. He's an evil surfer that can be generated with any kind of weapon, usually of the kickass variety and has a wide variety of "KILL YOU" spells.  He also has a surf board and is far too manly to wear any armor except swim trunks.

Angel v Norris

Round 35:
Flaming Corpse VS Ice Devil
Note:  Ice devil is just a much weaker version of the ice fiend, he has a few ice spells and htis you with physical ice attacks.  The flaming corpses just runs around the dungeon looking for someone to hug.  AND SET ON FIRE.  Yes, this guy will run up to you, hug you, and set you on fire. Evil hugs.

Flaming Corpse v Ice Devil

I dunno, flaming hugs work.

Round 36:
Norbert VS Louise
Note:  Norbert and Louise are later uniques in the game.  Norbert is typically generated loaded with armor, large shield, and a heavy hitting weapon, usually with a brand.  He's all about power housing.  Louise is an armor wearing spellcaster.  You really can't do that in Crawl, but this is a unique, she's allowed to break rules.  She's a pretty wimpy fighter but if she does pull out the spells, she has her own "Kill You" conjurations as well as blinking.  However, like most fights like this, standing next to Norbert is a bad idea.

Norbert v Louise

Kneejerk.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »
Come on Wrathie! Put 10 on me losing gold.

I bet 10 on Wrathie winning gold.

INFINITE ROOP!!

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2009, 04:51:28 PM »
Ok, I'll try betting some money.
I'll bet 20 on Louise and20 on Norris.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2009, 12:33:27 AM »
Come on Wrathie! Put 10 on me losing gold.

I bet 10 on Wrathie winning gold.

INFINITE ROOP!!

What pesco said

and 10 gold on flaming corpses

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2009, 04:17:08 AM »
10 Gold on Ice Devil. I had looked at the matchup and realized that the Ice Devil, provided the RNG gives it some degree of IQ, it will go and whoop the burning glomp of death.

Also, 10 Gold on Norbert. As much as I think the Spellcaster can come up with a spell, at the same time . . . this is Crawl. Mooks, however unique, can always pull a stupid.

EDIT: And yes, I know how contrary I sound with these two wagers. Call me a cynic. Or paranoid. Either one may or may not fit.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2009, 10:06:54 AM »
35 gold on ice devil. If it's smart, it'll keep its distance and throw ice spells at the flaming corpse.

Look what happened LAST TIME we assumed a best-scenario matchup...

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
35 gold on ice devil. If it's smart, it'll keep its distance and throw ice spells at the flaming corpse.

Look what happened LAST TIME we assumed a best-scenario matchup...

Hence my statement 'provided the RNG gives it any degree of IQ'. I don't think flaming corpses can get ranged goodies (let alone use them). Correct me if I'm wrong. . . . Meaning it's just up to the Ice Devil to not screw up horribly. Which knowing the RNG . . .

WRATHIE_Beatrice

« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
i dunno.my gut is that the Ice Fiend will get close

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »
Hence my statement 'provided the RNG gives it any degree of IQ'. I don't think flaming corpses can get ranged goodies (let alone use them). Correct me if I'm wrong. . . . Meaning it's just up to the Ice Devil to not screw up horribly. Which knowing the RNG . . .

I was referring to the Kobold spawning with POISON needles. The POISON ended up being the Hobgoblin's undoing despite the fact that on all counts the Hobgoblin should have outslugged and easily taken the match. This case is different, it's a script-based case, so actually ANYTHING goes. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Ice Devil won.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
The faster monster will win the Fire vs Ice match. Of course, I don't know which one is faster...

Norbert vs Louise is lulz. It's a really epic match.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:38:00 PM by Pesco »

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
Round 34:  Winner was the Angel.  Norris got generated with a long sword of fire and the Angel got a mace of holy wrath.  Norris started off pretty well by blasting the angel from afar until the Angel used haste in which it run straight at Norris and got 4 hits in for every 1 he had cause he got slowed.  Angel survived severely wounded.  Xom guessed right here.

Round 35:  Winner was ice devil.  The flaming corpse is faster and managed to get the ice devil with sticky flames, but it chewed a few ice blasts too many.  Ice devil won moderately wounded.  Xom guessed right here.

Round 36:  Winner was Norbert.  He got generated with a battle axe that was vampiric.  So while Louise blinked all over and constantly shot him with various spells, when Norbert finally caught up with her, he started regaining HP while somehow blocking her vorpalized halberd with his shield.  Xom was right here.

Pesco: 10
Affinity:  18
MBurusu: 60
Trance: 75
Anathe: 220
Xom: 332

Xom takes the lead out of no where.  :V

Next round will come tomorrow.  I'm busy writing the code AI for Tic Tac Toe that's unbeatable against other AIs.  Yes, that is an in-class competition to make the best AI at Tic Tac Toe.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »
You could at least give me a refund if you're not going to process my bet.

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »
I did.  wrathie lost money with the flaming corpse, so your bet fell apart.  However, because you then lost money, wrathie gained 10 gold because you lost gold.  However, wrathie broke even here, so you still lost your bet of wrathie winning money, which still means 10 less for you.

:3

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2009, 01:02:57 AM »
I did.  wrathie lost money with the flaming corpse, so your bet fell apart.  However, because you then lost money, wrathie gained 10 gold because you lost gold.  However, wrathie broke even here, so you still lost your bet of wrathie winning money, which still means 10 less for you.

:3

Trope Sign「Literal Genie」

And I am wholeheartedly amazed that I actually made money there.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2009, 03:16:01 AM »
* TranceHime bitches on Skype about losing money

Ramus

• The Knightly Wizard
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »
Hmm... perhaps I should get the monster tournament going soon... perhaps start off by giving everyone a hundred gold, let them use 150 to buy a team (cost of monster is decided by experience given?).   They win 50 for every match won, plus double the amount they bet on their own team and can spend a 100 more pimping out the team.  Something like that.  REGARDLESS, onto the next set of rounds:

Round 37:
Orc Warlord Band and Orc Knight Band VS Queen Bee, 10 Bumble Bees, 5 Killer Bees
Note:  Biggest battle to date, the orcs will be out numbered, but their fighters are superior.  The bees have weaker fighters, but are loaded with something deadly called poison.  So yeah, INVASION AGAINST THE HIVE!

Round 38:
Black Bear VS Hog
Note:  GO BACON GO!  It's only a bear that a wizard beat.

Round 39:
Cerebov, The Royal Jelly, and Antaeus V The Test Spawner Six Silver Statues
Note:  Okay, these three monsters are the absolute, most powerful creatures within the game.  They step on everything else and hack and slash with absolute ease.  Now, then there's the test spawner, made just for the arena.  This thing checks the field every turn to see if its team has enough monsters.  If it doesn't, it gets pumping away producing about ten monsters per turn (ANY non-unique in the dungeon is very possible) and stops at about thirty to forty monsters.  Problem is that Cerebov and buds eat these monsters for breakfast, but they're being produced at a stupidly fast rate.  Note that the Test Spawner also has perfect resistance and high AC, so this will be the only target that the Big Three will have trouble taking down, however, it's a statue that doesn't move, so... LET THE EPIC BATTLE BEGIN!
  Too lazy to describe this battle.

Pesco: 10
Affinity:  18
MBurusu: 60
Trance: 75
Anathe: 220
Xom: 332

Updated whenever I get to a computer again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:38:50 PM by Ramus »