Author Topic: [Art] S. Ruro's Sketches and Skirts - I should draw things more often  (Read 19127 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Yep, your craziest administrator is not just a part-time writer-- I also moonlight as an artist! BV

While talking with the Librarians on IRC today, we decided to declare war on AAA do this really neat challenge, the Story Swap Contest to celebrate the end of summer. Talking about how much fun it was to hang out with each other and how we should all meet at a hot springs resort someday, I was peer-pressured into inspired to draw pictures of the Librarians in (what else?) swimsuits. And so, I present to you:

Roukanken, Sakana, and Chaore's Iji-selves. Watch out for the others in the upcoming Librarian Swimsuit Calendar 2010, coming to a Scarlet Library near YOU! :toot:

Moreover, before that, I was drawing a gift for Rou for one of his fics, and though it's not entirely done, here's the main part. It struck me as amusing to turn it into an advertisement:

I expect that this thread will be filled mostly with images as gifts to writers, or illustrations of scenes from my own fiction. Well, we'll see how this goes!

Matsuri

Re: S. Ruro's Sketches and Skirts
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »
My god, Koishi riding on a dolphin is cracking me up, here. :<

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »
I don't think I need to say how much I love those drawings :3

Looking forward to more~

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I notice Roukan loses to the others body-wise, while Sakana seems to take first place :3
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:49:05 AM by Moe Moe Kogasakana »

ES-Anthy

• *Roll*
  • *fwump*
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »
Man I'm really liking that sakana you drew Ruro :3

Though all of them are great too~

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
I think the Koishi would only be better if she was going "'EYYYYYY!" like Fonzie. I'm not entirely sure where this idea came fr-- Oh, that's right, it's a webcomic I saw once in which the punchline for a particular strip consisted of Fonzie jumping the shark on a motorcycle and going "'EYYYYY" while the shark went "Grrr, argh."

Gappy

• Oh...oh I was not ready for this.
  • It's only Logical....
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »
It's a Ruro! And it's in the Atelier! Quick, get your pokeballs and your pokedex!

Nice of you to visit, Ruro. Always nice to have you around. :P

....and, what's this? I see....a tuna in a bathing suit.... XD

Gappy approves~<3

....but what's this?! WAR?!

:ohdear:

....so it has come to this....

Ahem~

*This trailer is rated 'I' for 'Insane'. Parental and psychiatric guidance is advised.*

....we people of the Atelier are a peaceful folk, we shun all manner of violence....but if it's war you want then we shall respond with paint and brush, canvas and easel! Our pencils shall be mightier than your swords! Against your uncultured barbaric rabble shall our fiery artistic passion rise! Your riotous cries of violence shall fall silent before the towering walls of our glorious bastion of unbounded self-expression! Before this mighty tidal wave of unlimited creativity, your feeble attempt at aggression shall be swept aside like a tuna caught in a hurricane.

....and when you finally lay defeated under the rubble of your once over-glorified sand castles of foolish pride....only regret that you picked a fight with the wrong Atelier......

....coming soon to a library near you...

....the long-awaited sequel to the much-loved Librarian Chronicles......

....Atelier Combat - Fires of Literation!

(maybe, once I've settled my uni stuff :P)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:06:45 AM »
Well shit, time to arms deal.

Yalls know what kind of payments I like.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:40:18 AM »
Ffff- I love that Sakana. Completely different from what I'd expect.

... also yeah body-wise she wins
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »
>>ROU
>> TALL AND WEARS BLACK SWIMSUIT... (oh no)
I thought it was a little girl... in typical moe fashion....

----

Sakana is a bit on the wild side and that is something unexpected!
I like it

Chaore is not bad, I just hope she is not a Reisen clone even in color... not that I have much to complain.
It is really sorta cute, I love this frilly skirty beach wears.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
Moreover, before that, I was drawing a gift for Rou for one of his fics, and though it's not entirely done, here's the main part. It struck me as amusing to turn it into an advertisement:

I expect that this thread will be filled mostly with images as gifts to writers, or illustrations of scenes from my own fiction. Well, we'll see how this goes!

Well damn...here goes another Koishi image I need to save.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:30 AM »
Let's have some necroposting in the house.

This is the sort of thing I do when I don't want to write for NaNoWriMo. I wish the scan had turned out better, but it's midnight and I've got a fair amount of work to do tomorrow, so screw it.

I didn't realize I had drawn Homura with a sword until I realized that I had done it while listening to Virtual Star Hasseigaku. Telling.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »
Well, for you, drawing with a sword is unconscious. :P

Not bad. Keep up the good work, in both writing and drawing. :>
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:45 AM »
Homura looks more badass with a sword than she does with a whole arsenal of firearms and explosives. I think it's because it suits her shield/buckler/whatever better. Very nice :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 06:01:18 PM »
I still haven't watched that thing, am I evil
                                                                                   .

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
That is a nice drawing. :o

Might we be able to see more drawings in the future?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
Might we be able to see more drawings in the future?
I can try, but I pretty much suck at maintaining consistent schedules (see: White Rose).

My art focus has recently veered wildly back and forth from writing one day and visual art the next. I took advantage of both for a KyouMami contest I am entering. This is one of the art entries I intend to submit. The other one is being colored at the moment and hopefully I will be able to post it tomorrow.

My lack of talent at coloring shows itself. OH WELL

Re: S. Ruro's Sketches and Skirts - LOOK AT THE AWFUL THINGS I HAVE DONE
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »
Very nice sketches. Sakana is probably my favorite. :)

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 04:47:12 AM »
Very nice sketches. Sakana is probably my favorite. :)
Thank you kindly!

I was delayed from posting this yesterday but no longer. Now to ease that feeling of butterflies in the stomach as I formally submit it over on DA as well. >__<

Ross

• Amateur Touhou Fanatic
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 01:41:30 AM »
Ehm, if you consider these 'AWFUL', then the stuff I draw must be...  *puts on sunglasses* AWFUL.... I see nothing for you to consider awful in those drawings (seriously, honestly).

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »
I'm with Frosty on this one...I wish I could draw on a good day as well as you do when you draw "awful" things, sheesh.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »
Lately, what creative talent I have has been very sadistic with me: giving me drawing ideas when I want to write, and giving me writing ideas when I want to draw. But at least I get a little bit of both done.

Notes for the first (Madoka spoilers):
There are a lot of things that bothered me about the ending to Madoka Magica. But I gotta say, one of the standouts is the part where we see that Homura, and only Homura, remembers Madoka’s sacrifice. I really dislike Homura, and it irritated me that the anime series ended up focusing on Homura and Madoka to the exclusion of all else, even to the point of nullifying the relationships Madoka had with anyone else but Homura.

A while ago, I read a fanfic where Homura decides that she is not the only one who should be given a chance to remember Madoka, and shares her second ribbon with Mami. As Homura only wears one red ribbon in her hair in the anime ending, where’d the second one go?

And all of two days ago, I started watching the first three episodes again with an eye towards screencapping, for the purposes of making more tflns to submit to Texts From Walpurgis Night. In the very first episode, this happens:

Of course, Junko tells her to go for the red ones, which she does for the rest of the series.

But what if Madoka had carried the yellow ones around too?

So that’s the basis for this quick drawing. I figure Kyouko would get the other red one, since it fits her colour scheme, and she’d just wear it as a replacement for her black hair ribbon. Mami and Sayaka get the yellow ones; Mami wears her ribbon on her beret (and puts her soul gem on as a bolo tie instead), and Sayaka wears hers around the collar of her cape.

I just don’t want the puella magi to forget the friend who gave everything up for them.

Also, I do believe this is the first time I’ve ever drawn Sayaka. It shows.

And the second picture is just a random doodle of Kyouko that I drew when I should have been writing instead. (I also accidentally drew it too far to the left of the paper so I got cut off. I'm such an idiot.)

Alfred F. Jones

Re: S. Ruro's Sketches and Skirts - I should draw things more often
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 01:55:11 AM »
Topic title change because too many caps draw eyes, which is the opposite of what I want.

Last night during a conversation in Scarlet Library I floated the idea of Satori's Third Eye wearing a monocle. Tack threw out the idea of her Third Eye wearing a top hat  too. But I also wanted to draw different hairstyles on Satori, thanks to Aoshi giving me the idea.

So in the end I just went with all of those ideas at once.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 02:05:11 AM »
Classy eye. :P

Hair itself is pretty good; gives a different interpretation of the character with that alone.

Reading these images in a somewhat masculine fashion here, probably due to the crisp and sharp lines.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:14 AM »
Reading these images in a somewhat masculine fashion here, probably due to the crisp and sharp lines.
Interesting observation; I've noticed that too. I think it may be because the first manga I ever read and devoured extensively was Rurouni Kenshin, which is of course a shonen manga (and a great one at that). That's where I picked up a lot of my early art cues; for an easy example, the way I do shading is still the way I saw it done in RK.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 02:46:37 AM »
It does resemble a bit of a shounen-ish style.

The expressions work though, that aside, and the idea is cute
                                                                                   .

Alfred F. Jones

Re: [Art] S. Ruro's Sketches and Skirts - I should draw things more often
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »
On this week's month's episode of Mahou Samurai Ruro-tan, Ruro gets a tablet for a Christmas present and opens it early so she can learn how to use it to draw gifts for other people, and starts her project in earnest by drawing a bored Okuu!

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
You drew this on your first try on a new tablet? Also - just pointing out my observations - you have a good grasp of anatomy.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

[HJD]Red_Herring

• Having a bad case of life, can't help it.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 01:00:38 AM »
I see you got a new tablet. That is certainly a good news to hear as I can hope for more of your work.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 01:24:51 AM »
You drew this on your first try on a new tablet?
First tablet ever, in fact! Never had one before this. :)

I see you got a new tablet. That is certainly a good news to hear as I can hope for more of your work.
You flatter me! Part of me is embarrassed at having such a good artist compliment me, the other half wants you to keep going. :3c

Last night I was fooling around with layers on GIMP. But then I discovered that I had stupidly drawn on the wrong layer for proper colouring. So I was trying to fix my mistake by screwing with the opacity and stuff, but it was too late. I tried to salvage it as best I could regardless, and this is the result.

I think it's messed up, but it does have a certain malevolence to it that I quite enjoy.

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 05:08:50 AM »
Did you get a Wacom bundle? In case you didn't, HAVE LOTS OF FUN WITH GIMP, RURO.  It'll take you a while to get used to switching layers.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."