Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Mafia: Game Over - Town Win  (Read 53078 times)

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
Re: Dwarf Fortress Mafia: Game Over - Town Win
« Reply #420 on: May 10, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »
Whoa, what?

You are Zuden Imsalegur, Weaver!  You perform the mundane duty of clothing the fortress and supplying it with bags and such.  You came to this career years ago, after being possessed by a spirit and producing a great artifact.

That artifact is a cloak of unmatched quality, and it seems to have some near-magical properties as well.  You've found that when sneaking with the cloak around you, you can move undetected.  This makes you the Town Watcher!  Every night, you may ##watch one player's room.  If anyone else targets that player with an ability during the night, you will see who does so.  You win with the town.  Good luck!

I targetted Carthrat, got Zakeri and Kilga. Zak flipping scum & killing role told me two things. 1)Carthrat was town;scum isn't shooting themselvels. 2)Kilga was town. Scum isn't targetting someone who is supposed to be a dead man. Thank god Zakeri targeted Carthrat though. =V

Also, I came back a lot later than expected.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #421 on: May 10, 2010, 01:46:30 AM »
Also, Kilga!

I'm recanting that, I've since changed my mind. Sudden Death will be whatever it is.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #422 on: May 10, 2010, 01:53:12 AM »
Serp! You forgot me in the list of town power roles! ;_;

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #423 on: May 10, 2010, 02:00:24 AM »
Oh, damn, so I did.  Be sure to add MSB as Watcher to the recap in the archive thread, Pesco.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #424 on: May 10, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »
I'm recanting that, I've since changed my mind. Sudden Death will be whatever it is.
Kay-o. I'm just going to assume that there's some SUPER SECRET METHOD of going about things in Sudden Death. Well, I won't be playing another game for quite a while, so this doesn't bother me in the slightest.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #425 on: May 10, 2010, 02:52:02 AM »
To me, Sudden death is just an extension with a weird voting requirement to achieve.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #426 on: May 10, 2010, 04:14:10 AM »
Scum should always instavote, chances are power roles shoudl always instavote, if you're town, instavoting isn't a bad idea.  As far as I am concerned you cannot get any information from how somebody acts in SD because it will turn into a game of WIFOM.

This probably isn't the best way to go about it for vanilla townie, but I feel this is reasonable.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #427 on: May 10, 2010, 04:16:48 AM »
Yeah, that sort of mentality is why I'm giving up hope for my Sudden Death approach. While I feel my approach is the most pro-town approach, it requires everyone to agree it's the most pro-town approach, and with the number of people that have the "insta-vote" attitude I don't think there's any chance I'm going to convince everyone. >_>

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #428 on: May 10, 2010, 04:33:15 AM »
Huh, guess I shoulda hung with my first impression and gone for the FAV vote.  Ah well.

Sorry yer game ended like this Serp.  It's a shitty way for a game to end, and even worse when there's a huge lineup until the next time you can toss one together.

Also, Kilga, you don't believe it an utterly null tell for a person to save themselves in sudden death?  Odd.  I'm interested in hearing your theories, since it'll never come up in game.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #429 on: May 10, 2010, 04:36:40 AM »
I believe it a null tell now since everyone else believes it to be a null tell.

My ideal pro-town approach to Sudden Death would be what Queen Alexabeth did in Cid's Anonyrandom. Admittedly, there was no threat of VSM counterhammering him since his vote was already there, but still.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #430 on: May 10, 2010, 04:40:47 AM »
Oh, I'm stupid, Alex's vote was on VSM in that game from the early phase, so I don't even get to use that as an example.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #431 on: May 10, 2010, 04:44:32 AM »
Multi-post drifting wheee

Actually, I'm going to pull a couple of quotes from that whole thing, because even if it's very possibly Alex would have snaphammered VSM for survival if he was in the position to do so, the sentiment is what I find more important.

Editor's Notes: Queen Lizzie is Alex, Ned Flanders is VSM, Excel is not Excal, Khan is irrelevant to the issue.

Quote from: Excel
I'm gonna say this quickly, I'm leaving my vote on the Queen 'cos this is a revolution! Off with her head *sharpens ax*
That do-gooder Ned is also deserving, but the Queen is full of crap!

Quote from: Queen Elizabeth I
Flanders and Khan are posting detailed and thoughtful arguments.
That's not useful, one of you has to die! You should be trying to convince us that it should be Ned - otherwise it's you that will hang. If you're a good towny then the only person you know is town is you! So you should be trying to save yourself! Telling us that Ned is towny goes against your own townyness right now because this is sudden death. You should be trying to protect yourself especially if you have a power role which can be put to good use. Supporting anything other than a Ned lynch right now shows that you aren't 100% behind your own townyness.

Quote from: Queen Elizabeth I
No.  Being a good townie means I want town to win.  I realize I screwed up very badly by dropping out of most of the day, and in this particular situation I think it's very possible Ned living would be much better for town than me living.  Of course I can't be 100% sure on him being town, but saying I think he's scum would be a lie.  I think he's more likely to be scum than I am, and I'm sure not going to be self-hammering, but at this point I think being honest about my opinions is the best I can do to help town.

Serp

• It's all about overwhelming force and irresistible style
  • And in a pinch, style can slide
« Reply #432 on: May 10, 2010, 04:56:46 AM »
If you think the other SD candidate is more townie than most, and you think he'd have a better shot of surviving tomorrow than you would, then it certainly is pro-town to surrender your life for the cause.

Though, if someone were to self-righteously say "Oh, please lynch me, it's the only way!" without providing reasoning for sincerely believing the above, I'd peg him as scum going for all-or-nothing towncred.
[15:13] <Sana> >:<

« Reply #433 on: May 10, 2010, 05:11:31 AM »
I'd comment further, but I've done a few things where I've refused survival votes because I felt pretty sure they were Town.  So...  yeah.  That's an ideal, one that's especially useful when both folks in the SD are already voting for each other, or where you don't have to worry about sudden survival lynch.  But, I can't see it as overtly scummy when the other guy also has his vote free to swing at you.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #434 on: May 10, 2010, 06:42:20 AM »
Right. I must admit I can't remember a single instance where a game hit Sudden Death and neither participant had their vote on the other, but in thinking about it now I believe striving for the "ideal" (if one can even call it that; I'm hardly a Mafia Bible) is pretty much impossible because SOMEONE is going to cave and snapvote the other guy out of survival, and everyone else will be expecting this, so it can't ring as a scumtell.

However, I do at least hope that, when a townie is in sudden death and the other guy's vote is on them but their vote is elsewhere, they stay calm and try to reason things out for the good of the town (speaking of Anonyrandom, Excal did exactly this on Day 2 when up against Bardyagi) instead of snapping to NOT ME OVER ME.