Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 64569 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #540 on: March 18, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
That's also true. There was a Minister of Fisheries in this country who, on his very last day in office, lifted the ban on hunting whales. Whale hunting, by the way, has a lot of popular support. The new guy replacing him, who was from a different party, was left with either leaving in place a policy his own party was vehemently against, or reversing the decision and losing popular support.

So yeah, if the Wisconsin GOP is taking a kamikaze approach to politics, I guess it wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
« Reply #541 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »
Stop right there, governor scum!

...As if the Wisconsin Democrats' exile wasn't asinine enough.

Tengukami

« Reply #542 on: March 18, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
Oh their "exile" was actually well played. It underlines the lack of confidence and popular support the reps have. It was a bold and risky move, but it worked in their favor.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #543 on: March 18, 2011, 11:54:21 PM »
Oh their "exile" was actually well played. It underlines the lack of confidence and popular support the reps have. It was a bold and risky move, but it worked in their favor.
Fine then.

Come and complain to me 5 years from now when the Republicans do the same thing.

Tengukami

« Reply #544 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:15 PM »
Fine then.

Come and complain to me 5 years from now when the Republicans do the same thing.

Yes, it'll break my heart if Republican lawmakers walked off the job.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #545 on: March 19, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »
EDIT: I was worried yesterday that the U.N. vote came too late, but wow it's amazing how fast Lybia went from "no mercy" to cease-fire. Was it the threat of troops, or thre threat of permanent negative international relations with the West, or what? I'm not much for politics, so I'm interested as to what exactly could change a dictator's mind that fast.
At a guess it's because they aren't sure they can win without airpower.  Street to street, even those poorly armed rebels are dangerous to modern infantry and armor.  Currently Gaddafi's been able to bomb organized resistance, causing the rebels to break.  Without air power it'll be harder.

That's just a guess though.  I don't think anyone knows exactly what the force distribution is currently.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #546 on: March 19, 2011, 04:35:11 AM »
At a guess it's because they aren't sure they can win without airpower.  Street to street, even those poorly armed rebels are dangerous to modern infantry and armor.  Currently Gaddafi's been able to bomb organized resistance, causing the rebels to break.  Without air power it'll be harder.

That's just a guess though.  I don't think anyone knows exactly what the force distribution is currently.
I remember some articles stating this is just a measure to buy some time, but I think Gahdafi might not have alot of confidence trying to fight rebels with modern air support.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #547 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »
The US is currently suppressing Lybian anti aircraft positions.

Apparently France the UK and some Arab states are going to be doing the actual in flight missions, and I heard elsewhere that the French at least are also considering artillery positions around civilian areas valid targets.  We'll see how things actually progress.

Tengukami

« Reply #548 on: March 19, 2011, 09:12:25 PM »
Apparently France the UK and some Arab states are going to be doing the actual in flight missions, and I heard elsewhere that the French at least are also considering artillery positions around civilian areas valid targets.

My, how things have changed since 1986.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #549 on: March 20, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »

AT&T is buying T-Mobile USA for $39 billion.

Jesus goddamn christ.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/20/us-tmobile-att-idUSTRE72J3JE20110320

« Reply #550 on: March 20, 2011, 10:08:08 PM »
Mergers Mergers everywhere.

How many phone companies are left?

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #551 on: March 20, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
Mergers Mergers everywhere.

How many phone companies are left?
Verizon, AT&T/Bellsouth, Sprint/Nextel...

Shit, that's all the service providers I think....

EDIT: Cable-wise there's Comcast, Optimum, and Time Warner
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:00:37 PM by ムヴィングサイドワイ »

wooterz

« Reply #552 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »
Verizon, AT&T/Bellsouth, Sprint/Nextel...

Shit, that's all the service providers I think....

EDIT: Cable-wise there's Comcast, Optimum, and Time Warner

Don't forget Charter.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #553 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
Wow, someone beat me to this.

Considering I'm also a T-Mobile customer, I gotta ask...Am I screwed or should I stop worrying?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »

Considering I'm also a T-Mobile customer, I gotta ask...Am I screwed or should I stop worrying?

You're screwed. AT&T is awful.

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »

We should mourn for the death of T-Mobile. The last greatest carrier. I am going to slap anyone who basically wants an iPhone on T-Mobile and cheers.

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2011, 05:11:44 PM »
T-Mobile actually does the reasonable thing and gives you a discount on your service if you buy a phone at full price.  And from what I hear their customer service is actually good!
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #557 on: March 21, 2011, 07:52:20 PM »
T-Mobile actually does the reasonable thing and gives you a discount on your service if you buy a phone at full price.  And from what I hear their customer service is actually good!
Indeed it is.

I think the best case scenario would be that T-Mobile will be like that one roommate that lives with you, who tries to keep the place tidy, and help clean up AT&T's act. T-Mobile wouldn't have accepted this deal if they weren't going to deal with the crappy service AT&T supposedly gives. Call me an optimist, but I'm just hoping for the best.

And who cares about the iPhone, the iPad is where it's at :V

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #558 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:11 AM »
You're screwed. AT&T is awful.
It's awful because of all the capitalism and the fact that they can't build enough towers because of derpVerizon.

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #559 on: March 22, 2011, 03:23:28 AM »
Indeed it is.

I think the best case scenario would be that T-Mobile will be like that one roommate that lives with you, who tries to keep the place tidy, and help clean up AT&T's act. T-Mobile wouldn't have accepted this deal if they weren't going to deal with the crappy service AT&T supposedly gives. Call me an optimist, but I'm just hoping for the best.

And who cares about the iPhone, the iPad is where it's at :V
You do know what AT&T merges with, they get assimilated. Look what happened to Cingular.

It's awful because of all the capitalism and the fact that they can't build enough towers because of derpVerizon.
Ok, what does capitalism have to do with AT&T being a shitty carrier? They only price their services like shit high, and CS is just bad.

wooterz

« Reply #560 on: March 22, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »
I think the best case scenario would be that T-Mobile will be like that one roommate that lives with you, who tries to keep the place tidy, and help clean up AT&T's act. T-Mobile wouldn't have accepted this deal if they weren't going to deal with the crappy service AT&T supposedly gives.

Of course they would have, do you honestly think that there are decent businesses in the world that think of anything other than money?

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #561 on: March 24, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
(CNN) - Maine Gov. Paul LePage ordered a 36-foot mural depicting the state's labor history be removed from the lobby of the Department of Labor headquarters building in Augusta, Maine, according to LePage's office.

Laura Boyett, the acting commissioner for the Maine Department of Labor, in a letter to her employees, said the department received feedback that the building is "not perceived as equally receptive to both businesses and workers," and is therefore removing the mural and renaming all of the conference rooms.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

Minch

• Your #1 Idiot Child.
« Reply #562 on: March 25, 2011, 03:04:49 AM »
So you're taking a mural and changing all of the conference room that seems to be "Not Productive" to a Labor Headquarters. How stupid can you be?

MayKissingDoveWyks

« Reply #563 on: March 25, 2011, 03:17:58 AM »

Ok, what does capitalism have to do with AT&T being a shitty carrier? They only price their services like shit high, and CS is just bad.
A teacher told me that we have lost something important overtime when it comes to Products and buying.

It's called: Quality.

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #564 on: March 28, 2011, 08:30:40 PM »
aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

We are a social media company working for a political organization, hired to help balance the left-wing bias of major media outlets by supplying a team of writers who will post to newspaper comments, media forums, FB pages, etc.  We are NOT officially affiliated with Harper campaign

You writing must be strong, right-wing and use supplied talking points without bogging down in too much detail.  You are creating an online persona with a consistent tone.  Ideally you can find or make up facts and statistics to stir controversy.  Where suited humour, sarcasm and personal insults are welcome.

I love this on so many levels.  While what's-his-face engineers 'brilliant exposes' of ACORN and NPR, you don't even have to try to uncover the memetic engineering going on with the right, the post-Tea Party version of old white men trying to act street.

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I love this on so many levels.  While what's-his-face engineers 'brilliant exposes' of ACORN and NPR, you don't even have to try to uncover the memetic engineering going on with the right, the post-Tea Party version of old white men trying to act street.
aww yeah canadian elections :colonveeplusalpha:

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #566 on: March 28, 2011, 10:24:09 PM »
We were discussing this in my Politics and Economics class today, and I thought it was worth a repost:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

Good brain candy. Don't be scared by the idea of incomprehensible data; it's presented in easy-to-understand infographics so that you, too, can understand just how much richer the rich are than you! BV

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2011, 10:34:18 PM »
Title's so misleading. What do you mean, I will likely never understand!?

I mean, 12 year old college student discussing Calc II integration techniques. As much as I already know this stuff, it's a nice thing to watch. Plus, there's a doggy! (Which I got distracted by :derp:)

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2011, 10:51:07 PM »

I mean, 12 year old college student discussing Calc II integration techniques. As much as I already know this stuff, it's a nice thing to watch. Plus, there's a doggy! (Which I got distracted by :derp:)
He's like the average student from China :V

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2011, 10:54:49 PM »
We were discussing this in my Politics and Economics class today, and I thought it was worth a repost:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

Good brain candy. Don't be scared by the idea of incomprehensible data; it's presented in easy-to-understand infographics so that you, too, can understand just how much richer the rich are than you! BV

Even with the infographics, it's hard to wrap my mind around that. Dear god. o_o

> Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis

That's the Indianapolis branch of the college I go to. Fascinating. :o

Really though, good for him. o_O