Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 64593 times)

MayKissingDoveWyks

• I can't stop being a perv!
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #450 on: February 24, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »
I didn't know about this!

I happened to catch the final launch of the Discovery space shuttle right when I got home today.
It's sad to see the space shuttle program end....

Endeavor's next mission will be the last ;~;
(Unless the planned one for Atlantis comes through, if it does then that's the last)

« Reply #451 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:21 PM »
I happened to click on the Ustream link about three seconds before lifdoff. :3

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #452 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
Khaddafi was America's Number One Enemy when I was in middle school. By the time I graduated, he was an ally. By the time 9/11 happened, he was a friend. And now he's come full circle. GJ, Khaddafi!
Does any adult actually believe these shifting allegiances?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #454 on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:38 PM »
Does any adult actually believe these shifting allegiances?

Oh they're real alright. They're just not based on friendship but common interest.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby

Tengukami

« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2011, 10:49:03 PM »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #457 on: March 01, 2011, 02:27:46 AM »
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:36:42 AM by Oddasseus the Indestructable »

« Reply #458 on: March 01, 2011, 04:07:44 AM »
I really hate this state and feel bad about the other people that live here that aren't morons. After all, I'm sure they're just as ashamed about the people that inhabit our state as well.

Why do I have to be stuck in a state like this right now?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!

« Reply #460 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »
Iran tries to distract everyone from the Muslim world revolting, complains about Olympic logo

Well it sure is ugly, but made up reasons are made up.
Also who cares if Iran doesn't come? Big boy can take his hotwheels and play in the other sandbox.
Either way I don't even get why the Olympics is even around anymore seems kinda pointless. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:56:57 AM by Cadmas »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #461 on: March 01, 2011, 01:16:56 PM »
Either way I don't even get why the Olympics is even around anymore seems kinda pointless.

Because it's awesome and nearly everyone likes it and wants to keep it around.

Tengukami

« Reply #462 on: March 01, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
Plus it's a release valve of sorts in the field of international competition. Just think how many wars there would be if it weren't for the Olympics. :colbert:

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #463 on: March 01, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
Because it's awesome and nearly everyone likes it and wants to keep it around.

They shoulda went for the FIFA World Cup then :V

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
Plus it's a release valve of sorts in the field of international competition. Just think how many wars there would be if it weren't for the Olympics. :colbert:
They shoulda went for the FIFA World Cup then :V
*cough* Football War *cough*
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #466 on: March 01, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
http://news.change.org/stories/to-block-a-gay-straight-alliance-texas-high-school-shuts-down-all-extracurricular-clubs
ROFL my school did that when I was in high school.  FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) bitched that GSA kids were able to leave during "pacer period" (mandatory study hall period) for club meetings.  School responded by disbanding all clubs that weren't "officially sanctioned".  They claimed that only sanctioned clubs could meet during school hours.  Gee guess which club wasn't?

We ended up working around it by just meeting after school.  As long as we had a teacher with us they couldn't exactly stop us.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #467 on: March 01, 2011, 05:55:22 PM »
Reading the article (and the other articles on that site related to that one), it sounds like what your school did was illegal.

Though, judging from what I've heard of Ohio, it sounds like your school didn't give a damn.

According to the comments there's going to be a protest on Friday. Here's hoping something comes of it.
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #468 on: March 01, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
Reading the article (and the other articles on that site related to that one), it sounds like what your school did was illegal.

Though, judging from what I've heard of Ohio, it sounds like your school didn't give a damn.
Most schools don't really.  I've yet to meet a school admin who knows the rules of their own school, much less the laws they must abide by.

According to the comments there's going to be a protest on Friday. Here's hoping something comes of it.
Here's hoping.  Usually legal pressure is the only thing that works in the end though.

It's strange how 4 people protesting can get a book taken off the English curriculum, but 50+ people protesting can't get them to allow a gay straight alliance club to meet on their own time.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #469 on: March 02, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »
Past medical testing reveals 'unethical' practices.

I read this in the newspaper yesterday. All the bio and medical nerds should be intrigued by this. It's pretty interesting to see the names this article dropped. One of them:

>A federally funded study begun in 1942 injected experimental flu vaccine in male patients at a state insane asylum in Ypsilanti, Mich., then exposed them to flu several months later. It was co-authored by Dr. Jonas Salk, who a decade later would become famous as inventor of the polio vaccine.

Intriguing reading.

Tengukami

« Reply #470 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:47 AM »
Ypsilanti was pretty horrible. And then there's the Tuskegee Study, which is even more Mengelesque.

EDIT: ... which is mentioned in the article you linked. Heh.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:02:13 AM by Tengukami »

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #471 on: March 02, 2011, 12:42:14 AM »
Times sure were easier when there weren't all these ethical restrictions! :derp:

I've seen these kinds of things before (cut by Ammy: Just like that!). I'm more surprised that people don't know about them.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #472 on: March 02, 2011, 06:41:17 AM »
And then there's the Tuskegee Study, which is even more Mengelesque.

Not to mention the guy in charge of Tuskegee went ahead and did the same thing in Guatemala.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

Tengukami

« Reply #473 on: March 02, 2011, 01:47:57 PM »
So, remember how Funimation was suing 1337 people over One Piece? Yeah, all but one of those lawsuits have been dropped. However, the fun isn't over.
In a separate development, the Chilling Effects website posted a copy of a January 20 copyright complaint sent by Funimation and the RemoveYourContent LLC anti-piracy service to the online services company Google. Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the complaint requested that Google remove links from its search results to 498 web addresses on a single domain. Each address hosts a streaming episode or film from the One Piece anime series.

Funimation confirmed the veracity of the January 20 letter with ANN, but declined to comment at this time.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2011, 03:11:06 PM »

We protested but that didn't change jack shit.  Given the conservative nature of most of rural Ohio, there was more outcry from parents about "why is there a goddurn faggot club anyways?!" than an actual concern of limiting student's rights.  The school's first openly gay kid went to prom that same year as well and they did everything they could to block it.

Either way the card they pulled was that it was during school hours so such activities had to be "school sanctioned" and they were never going to sign off on a GSA club.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:12:51 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Suwako Moriya

« Reply #475 on: March 02, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »
Either way the card they pulled was that it was during school hours so such activities had to be "school sanctioned" and they were never going to sign off on a GSA club.

Well, that's the point of the Equal Access Act, which is why the articles made sure to point out that the Corpus Christi school district went out of their way to decry federal law, claiming it didn't apply to them. I presume your school district did the same?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #476 on: March 02, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
Well, that's the point of the Equal Access Act, which is why the articles made sure to point out that the Corpus Christi school district went out of their way to decry federal law, claiming it didn't apply to them. I presume your school district did the same?
Well their point of "equal access" was that it was ok if it was after school, which obviously killed the club because most of these kids were already in sports or drama or marching band or what have you.  At first they disbaned GSA entirely but eventually they "conceded" and let us meet after school.

FCA got "booted" out too but they were allowed to meet in the mornings which was better for those kids anyways since they all had practice.  We tried to protest it, but to be honest noone was on our side to begin with, especially being in rural Ohio.  There were a couple of teachers willing to fight for it but for the most part the faculty was against it.

Only NHS and student council and other "sanctioned clubs" like that were allowed to meet during school hours after the change.  FCA got bumped to before school since technically they couldn't endorse a religious-based club but they were the only club allowed to do so.  The debate/politics club got booted to after school.  It was really stupid.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:30:36 PM by ♪ TheStupidOne ♫ »

Quad City QBs

• tumblr, tumblr, in the attic,
  • who is the most problematic?
    • maullarmaullar @ Tumblr
« Reply #477 on: March 02, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »
So, remember how Funimation was suing 1337 people over One Piece? Yeah, all but one of those lawsuits have been dropped. However, the fun isn't over.

That seems reasonable from Funi's business perspective.  I know the push in the anime community is "just outcompete the pirates", but as a rightsholder I would be very concerned if--hypothetically--the first page on Google for my IP was links to infringing streams of my content.  In addition, while it's true that Funi could target the host of the stream itself with a DMCA request, Google is probably more likely to comply in a timely fashion than Random Streaming Site #4746.

I also understand the interest in keeping search results free and open, but that has to be balanced against the potential for harm.  The 9th Circuit recently credited the danger of Google being used as an instrument for infringement--

Quote from: Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc., 508 F.3d 1146, 1172 (9th Cir. 2007)
There is no dispute that Google substantially assists websites to distribute their infringing copies to a worldwide market and assists a worldwide audience of users to access infringing materials. We cannot discount the effect of such a service on copyright owners, even though Google's assistance is available to all websites, not just infringing ones. Applying our test, Google could be held contributorily liable if it had knowledge that infringing Perfect 10 images were available using its search engine, could take simple measures to prevent further damage to Perfect 10's copyrighted works, and failed to take such steps.

In this case, the court held that Google wasn't liable (for showing thumbnails of pirated images in GIS) because it couldn't control that kind of infringement--it can't practically police all its traffic.  But it didn't write off some duty to fight copyright infringement.  There's also the Congressionally created 'duty' embodied in the DMCA itself.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:27:52 PM by Bad Appellant!! »

Nothing in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor as creating an attorney-client relationship, nor as an advertisement for legal or law-related services.
Art Thread | Writing Thread | Tumblr NSFWAsk.fm

« Reply #478 on: March 02, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
I've found an article which shows things from the pirates' perspective, which is that 1. the pirated versions often come out quicker, and 2. they are weeaboos who want their shit stuffed with "-chan" and "-kun" and cultural references (I mean, okay, yeah, I can understand why it isn't necessarily a good thing if the official-translators try to pretend that it isn't Japanese, but I'm kind of cynical about this ever since I read another article about an official-translator who quit his job due to an Unpleasable Fanbase who acted like the scanlators and fansubbers had an automatically "better translation").

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #479 on: March 04, 2011, 12:45:53 AM »
speaking as someone who gets most of his anime legally, in regards to -chansamakun suffixes, I pretty much never put the audio in english anyway, so even IF the translation leaves it out, I can still hear them say it and immediately understand the social status or relationship implied.

As for cultural references, I learned everything from TL NOTES and google, and it was never annoying, and I am happy that I learned those things about japanese culture rather than listen to a changed joke and remain ignorant.

But those changes are usually only present in the dub anyway and not in the subtitles (unless they are dubtitles which are disgusting and should not exist) so it's not really a problem for me!

NIS America released Toradora and Persona: Trinity Soul in America without an english dub. I think this actually made the DVDs cheaper....if so, I'd like for more sub-only DVDs to be released 8)