Author Topic: Keep reading the news!  (Read 62434 times)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
Re: Keep reading the news!
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »
Best part is the 6 republicans who voted for repeal. Nice to seem them not being cowards anymore pandering to their "base"; especially Murkowski (you know the Alaskan Tea Party is raging right now :D).

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
a couple of my friends in the military are probably very happy about this :V!!

one of them I haven't talked to in so long...and he was so fragile...I hope he's ok

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:55 AM »
While I am happy about the DADT repeal, I can't help but be thoroughly annoyed by the lack of the same triumph for the Dream Act.

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2010, 04:39:45 AM »
Surefire ways to get a piece of legislation killed (either by popular vote or in Congress with citizen support):

1) Say it'll raise taxes
2) Say it'll help the "illegals"
3) Say it will raise the cost of "x" (eg: health care)

I know plenty of conservatives to say this with 100% confidence. ::)

1CC List (all shmups)

« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
Repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' approved by Senate and awaiting President's signature next week.

Merry Christmas. <3

Best part is the 6 republicans who voted for repeal.

I am in awe. Something good actually came of Scott Brown's miracle election.

Credit where it's due. I tip my nonexistent hat to him on this issue.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
Net neutrality goes up for vote today. *sigh*

Seize the future, seize the world, I guess. Give enough years and wireless internet is going to become as biased as AM radio.

dustyjo

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:42 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:22:18 AM by dustyjo »

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 09:48:40 PM »
That's it man.

Game over man.

Game over.

Ok now that my head is on straight, this is no surprise after the gigantic power switch in the Senate. It's not good at all; hell you can argue that this legislation (which is simply splitting the internet between wireless and wired) is opening Pandora's box.

But the people have spoken. Nothing you can do about it.

And calling Obama the "worst, biggest pussy of a president" is an absolute disservice to the man. He could've done more, maybe, but he has in no way been as bad as Bush. No fucking way.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:53:25 PM by Rita Mordioslayer »

1CC List (all shmups)

dustyjo

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
well excuse me for freaking out when something I love is destroyed

Silent Harmony

• Justice never dies!
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 10:01:16 PM »
I don't like this bill any more than you do. But I hate when people on either side blindly attack the president for the wrong reasons.

If you ask conservatives, Obama is a flower-loving hippie progressive who wants to spend spend spend until we're all bankrupt.
If you ask progressive liberals, Obama is a right-leaning coward who is afraid of the republicans and will gladly suck thier **** if it will get a bill passed.

It really is a pet peeve. Sorry I freaked out but I've held that in for 2 years and just snapped.

1CC List (all shmups)

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
If I recall my politics right, the internet's only hope is if this is brought up to the supreme court and gets ruled unconstitutional.

dustyjo

« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2010, 10:13:49 PM »
I don't take sides, I just hate everyone.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »
Show of hands: how many people actually read the proposal?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2010, 10:21:05 PM »
 :yukkuri:

dustyjo

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:22:08 AM by dustyjo »

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:30 PM »
Meh. Internet was going to change, no matter what; it was just a question of answering how.

Nothing stays the same.

Tengukami

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
I would if I could actually find it anywhere. Apparently they aren't releasing it until tomorrow.

OK. Well, let me help you out with some of the details.

There is no, and never has been, any protection of net neutrality in the United States. Never. Carriers could have been charging you more for any of the websites you've visited, at any time. In fact, the FCC fought and lost a court case fighting for net neutrality (there's your "fucking pussy Obama" at work there). The new legislation being proposed would fix that. Yes that's right - if the legislation passes, carriers will NOT be allowed to charge you extra for content that you view, or for visiting a particular website.

The reason why people are flipping out is because that protection extends only to wired networks. Wireless networks are another story.

Some see that as a cop-out compromise. Maybe it is. But it's certainly not OMG THE END OF TEH NET

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JT

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2010, 10:58:25 PM »
Didn't we just have a thread about how doomed the internet supposedly is like a month and a half ago? Did everyone forget about that already?

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:50 AM »
Yeah, and that shows you the attention span of people who flip their shit.

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2010, 01:05:30 AM »
My preferred compromise regarding the wired vs. wireless bit would have been requiring net neutrality standards for speeds or connection methods that are particularly old and/or commonplace, to be updated semi-automatically as time goes by. From what I understand, the most valid point on the conservative/no regulation/screw freedom of speech side is that broad regulations would reduce incentives for innovation and improvements to 'net access. The wired/wireless split is a cop-out based largely on what the most profitable (and growing) service methods are, which matches endorsing that motive, but it doesn't look to the future for making sure that progress of both advanced services and strong net neutrality for non-cutting-edge - i.e. the people's, rather than the elite's - services continue, rather than only endorsing it for a single old and/or fading service method.

If there were a clause about net neutrality being enforced for communication methods or bandwidth speeds that are of X age since first commercial use, have in some point been in use by X% of the population, and/or are below the Xth percentile of the national average connection speed, that'd probably address the good points of both sides. As it stands? I expect it to end up increasingly meaningless over the years as companies try to flee from older models in order to avoid having to be fair. But for a little while, it'll probably be okay. Just, there'll be another fight in a few years to update it as things change so the main point isn't lost and the obvious abusive loophole is closed.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Tengukami

« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »
Those are some pretty well thought-out concerns, Mouse. I guess for me, I'm looking at this from the point of view that this is an improvement. Not the ideal one, but an improvement nonetheless.

三重階乗

• NOT an avatar of a higher-up.
  • Who is this "Dragon," anyway?
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2010, 01:25:14 AM »
The old topic

Little happened the last time net neutrality was attempted, but with the Internet being so vital nowadays I'm expecting companies to take advantage of its apparent failure this time around. It may take a few months to implement things like domain-oriented DL speeds and marking sites as "Pay-Per-Byte" into the companies' respective networks, but don't be surprised if your Internet bill goes up at least 30% and/or access to YouTube or Netflix slows down significantly by next May or so (slightly optimistic on the date, I'm personally expecting early March at the latest).

Personally, I'm surprised that no news network has called "OMG CHAOS VOTE CYBERPOCALYPSE" yet.

Tengukami

« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 02:06:36 AM »
I think it's important to be careful with the slippery-slope reasoning when it comes to net neutrality. Every carrier in America has had the full legal right to charge you extra for being able to visit this or that site. Net neutrality has never existed, and yet none of these nightmare scenarios being conjured up have happened, with a few isolated exceptions (see: Comcast). The new legislation actually PREVENTS carriers from being able to do this, except on wireless. But seeing how they haven't done it yet, during the years they've had the opportunity, why does everyone seem to think they're going to wake up tomorrow facing $5/minute access charges to visiting YouTube?

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 02:14:20 AM »
Perhaps because people fear that once it goes from "net neutrality doesn't exist and no one ever talked about it" to "net neutrality doesn't exist and the attempt to apply it was defeated", corporations will see it as a free chance to start charging without worrying about some bill coming up and slapping them in the face for it.

But that's just my take on it.

Tengukami

« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 02:29:12 AM »
Perhaps because people fear that once it goes from "net neutrality doesn't exist and no one ever talked about it" to "net neutrality doesn't exist and the attempt to apply it was defeated", corporations will see it as a free chance to start charging without worrying about some bill coming up and slapping them in the face for it.

But that's just my take on it.

And that would be the wrong take to have, because a) the attempt to apply it did NOT fail, as the new legislation specifically prevents carriers from doing the things everyone's afraid they'll do, and b) you better believe that carriers have been fully aware of their ability to charge exorbitant rates for access to certain webpages. But for the most part, they never did. But now that the laws are stricter on carriers, people are freaking out?

No one reads anything. People are addicted to outrage.

JT

« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 04:34:54 AM »
No one reads anything. People are addicted to outrage.

We live in a very cynical generation. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like people my age tend to immediately assume the worst whenever anything happens.

Tengukami

« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 05:22:59 AM »
I think it's cross-generational. There's always some ridiculous cause de rage getting passed along in email forwards, like the "welfare mother cheating the system" meme. My cousin keeps sending these nutty Birther forwards.

三重階乗

• NOT an avatar of a higher-up.
  • Who is this "Dragon," anyway?
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2010, 06:11:52 AM »
Before this thread goes on total derailment...
The UConn Juggernauts have their unbeaten streak in uncharted territory now. I'm honestly starting to think we could see a shutout in basketball the way this is going.