Author Topic: [Art/Project] The AWA Touhou Scroll Project (Scroll Delivered!)  (Read 81805 times)

SuperParadox

• Thanks for letting me tag along guys...
  • ...But mom said I have to be home by 8!
    • Artwork from the future's past [Pixiv]
Re: [Art/Project] The AWA Touhou Scroll Project
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
Or not, if they don't want to. He really can't force anyone to fit his parameters, so really, it's the other way around.

At the same time I see why some people are upset about how things are being done. It would have been definitely been better if instead of 'Heres how the project is going to be' it was 'Hey guys as contributors to this what would you think would make a good project?' giving everyone much more room to express their ideas. 

At this point seeing how theres so many problems and complaints it would maybe be a good time to start from scratch and Y'know, get way more community input this time. 
Since this is really a community thing where it needs multiple people to survive, not everyone can have what they want, and that sadly goes for Totaku (even if he is leader) as well.

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »
I have taken the time to send everyone out a PM to all those that had expressed interest (and even to those that are concerned) because I wanted to get some feedback on things regarding the project so that we can figure out how to adjust things for this project. Because as I said, I'm want to correct any errors or misunderstandings that may occur as well as get an idea what everyone would have the time to do if they participate.

Anyways let me go on and try to explain some things based on some of the previous posts.

@Forbiddencube To answer your concerns I'll answer your questions in order.

1. The text is there to give the name and title of the character. But since it's a gift for ZUN, this is entirely optional. Since he knows his characters inside and out we don't really have to include this in the plans. It's just an idea I'm pitcing out and won't be a concern till near the very end of the project. If we all do decide to do text, then feel free to put it in.

2. You think so? I wasn't considering this idea till someone on IRC brought it up as a suggestion. And it seem like an interesting idea. Perhaps you can all give feedback on this?

3. This is going to be a printed so whatever you come up with has to be big enough to prevent pixelation to prevent quality loss.

4. As I said before, nothing is official, this is entirely an idea I'm presenting, I want the artists here to pitch in ideas for what would be the best suggestion action for this. And what should be considered for changing. And the mention you made about B&W Illustrations is one possible option as there are 82 characters in total. It will depend also on how much time you want to work on in it. And also additional feedback on this idea might be important for this as well.

@Syanas This is what I was hoping for when I presented my post back a while ago. Suggestions on how to find a better way to handle the project. Because I figured my ideas would not be sound and I was hoping to get some feedback on how this could be better approch. And yes Syanas, the way I presented the idea made it seem like I was forcing it, but rather I was presenting it as an idea on how to approach working on the scroll. And You Sayayan have given out some wonderful ideas that  I will be looking over and will consider contacting you when I get the chance.

@HakureiSM In relations to both posts, you're correct about that I make things a bit complicated but as I said, these was meant to be a suggestion I probably should of said that I was looking for feedback on this since as you said. This is not "My Project" this is a project among the fellow artists and the only way we can it work is if we all put our heads together and talk about how this can be approached.

@Pwn'd Crow Thanks for your info now regarding your questions:
1. Depends, I'm willing to let someone back you up (if they want to) unless you know for sure you'll be able come back. I just ask that we can stay in touch to know what to do if for some reason you can't.
2. I only ask for the artist to get done what they can get done. If something comes up in thier life that'll get in thier way. Then, I pretty much they can consider the options similar to answer to question one.

Question3 and Question 4 can be answer with this illustration of Seiga I finished last month. (This will not be used for the Scroll project)
Image sample
So basically to a degree I would like them to maintain thier canonical appearance, but everyone is free to add artistic liberties if they want to. (it shows in mine)
Transparent background is preffered, but a white space is fine too.

And this also brings up an interesting point. Characters will be the highest priority which is why I would prefer if people could focus on them first. Background are not a big concern till later and those along with everything else is open for discussion.

In regards to what N-Forza and Overcoat mentioned, I recall the size of ZUN's room (based on the video) and it's not very big. So I'm willing to discuss about how to approach the scroll size  further with anyone if nessary as long as we can make everything work together.

And to Vennapo, Vylrine, Merp, and Pasu: I basically want to apologize for making the project sound intimidating and extremely demanding. That post was intended to be a suggestion and not something was insisted to be done. As mentioned before I'm looking for feedback and ideas to help make it better for you all.

If you feel you still wish to leave the project feel free to, as I understand. If you ever decide to want to come join back in, please let me know. I'm always welcome to having more helping hands.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 05:37:41 PM »
So basically to a degree I would like them to maintain thier canonical appearance, but everyone is free to add artistic liberties if they want to. (it shows in mine)
Transparent background is preffered, but a white space is fine too.

And this also brings up an interesting point. Characters will be the highest priority which is why I would prefer if people could focus on them first. Background are not a big concern till later and those along with everything else is open for discussion.

^Thank you for addressing this~! I should be able to pump out pictures of characters much, much faster now that I don't have to necessarily worry about backgrounds (especially since I rather do like the idea of the backgrounds blending together as one really long background instead)~

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 06:57:46 PM »
So you're gonna drop the restrictions? That's awesome
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
Just a couple thoughts here:

I've worked in art collectives for years, and believe me, I understand the frustration of someone starting a project with guidelines you find silly or overwrought. Fortunately, people are free to choose who they work with or not.

Folks are free to participate according to Totaku's guidelines. Or not. Or start their own thing. Because of this, I don't understand why some of you guys went through the trouble of drawing illustrations of your disdain for the project. Was that level of sneering sarcasm necessary? Ditto the personal insults.

It sounds like Totaku is being pretty flexible and accommodating, and that things are smoothing out. That's great. In the future, though, it'd be super awesome of folks could just walk away peacefully if they're not or no longer interested, and keep the name-calling to a bare minimum.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 03:29:53 AM »
Hi, I'm somewhat interested in this. I don't have any particular requests on what characters I want to draw, so you can use me to fill in the gaps, but I can only commit to three to four at most. Posing can be dictated to within a certain degree.

Here's a sample of my works:
http://howeirong.deviantart.com
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=236529

I don't draw Touhou very often, though.

Formless God

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2013, 09:28:25 AM »
Welp, I'm in.

T-this is 8.5'' x 11'', right? It's bigger than my double xbox.

I could go for a less deformed style, too. It actually doesn't take a lot of time as long as I get to do shaky strokes and cel-shading/no shading.

Calling dibs on:
1. Renko
2. Maribel
3. Rin Satsuki
4. Koishi
5. Nue
6. Reisen
7. moonbitches, if they count, otherwise Kaguya
8. Swacker
9. Nazrin
10. Tenshi
I can do anybody, really. If there are characters nobody wants to take, feel free to throw them at me.

Totaku

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2013, 01:30:46 AM »
Well I got been working through  about 10 + people who have asked to join this project from Deviant art now. And I've been providing them the same questions like those I presented to you. Some of these people include Ragathol among the artist and there's even been people who recently expressed interest out of the blue such as Leo (who I learned this from overcoat) and he recently proposed an idea that I'm looking into. It's a little different from the original concept, but I like it and I'm wiling to put it in the list of ideas on how we can approach the scroll. I'll have these presented by the weekend.

Anyways let me quickly run down some replies to the artist who joined through here.

@carillus Hey there, I think I recall you from DA at some point. Anyways, if you're willing to fill in a spot that's a plus, I'll be asking you question just like rest in a bit. Thanks for expressing your interest.

@Formless Void: This!!! Your drawings (especially the one of Reimilia), is exactly what I was trying to express to the artist in the initial scroll concept idea! This is what trying to ask an artist to do with character art. But pretty much you hit the mark on the idea! Though like I said earlier, I'm going to present in a second idea that think can also work for you (and everyone els, it might be possible to put them together too).  Since I will be looking for everyone's feedback on it.

Either way, I'm glad you are wanting to join and I'm looking forward to working with you.

Anyways, I'll be posting the two ideas sometime in the weekend for feedback and also waiting for things to get organized on Telsa's end since he's starting work on the forum for this project this weekend as well. So keep your eyes open folks!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:35:08 AM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2013, 01:40:23 AM »
It might not make any difference for me to say something since I'm not an artist, but I guess I can give out some general suggestions anyway.

Honestly my main suggestion is: just drop the scroll idea and do an artbook instead. While the scroll seems like a cool idea and would be original, once you think about it, it's impractical on pretty much every level. It forces the idea that all the art needs to "look good" and "flow" together, despite artists having very different styles. Not to mention the already mentioned impracticality of its size. Is ZUN even going to be able to take this on a plane? Where the heck will he put it?

So yeah,  basically the scroll is kind of silly and impractical, especially given how little time you have (and continue to waste since no real decisions on anything have yet to be made).

The artbook is not only more practical in regards to its size, but it also allows nearly complete artistic freedom. Artists' styles wouldn't have to "go together" as they would on the scroll (which is a weird and subjective thing to figure out anyway). Additionally, everyone could just draw whoever they want and they would also be able to choose to do backgrounds or not, without some sort of attempt to make a background that flows with multiple characters in multiple styles on top of it. Though I do like the idea of trying to cover as many characters as possible or at least every way, so I'd suggest keeping a database of what everyone's planning to draw so if someone isn't sure what they want to do they can check that out and possibly choose characters or a game that haven't been represented yet.

Basically with an artbook the only possible overarching decision would be some sort of uniting theme, which isn't even totally necessary. Also I guess if too many people submit art it'd be necessary to pick what ends up in the artbook, and the only reasonable way of doing that would be through a vote.

Beyond that I suggest more than one person be "in charge" as honestly Totaku hasn't really done anything yet to actually get the ball rolling (not that the drama helps), and time is already ticking.
(gosh dang it you posted while i was typing but this is all still relevant)

Totaku

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »
Ok I'll being by quickly answering your questions Jam-Kiske.

Regarding the scroll itself: I can understand your concern with the idea why not consider the book instead. But thanks to some people I've talked to regarding the project and speaking to them about the scroll I was able to reach a better idea that I think will work and benifit everyone and people won't need to worry as much about the some of the ideas that I put on the table before because some of the newer ideas are much more easier to manage and far less stressful. Also as you will see, size has been definitely taken into consideration and we have considered the fact of about his work room. Because he needs to be able to take his gift home without issue and maybe look back upon it one day.

Regarding the idea about artbook: This idea has actually been on the discussion table with me and the few other who have been talking to me and it is being possibly considered as part of the plan. But it's still being discussed ATM. We'll probably have more on it as we make progress.

As for me, well you're right, there's only so much one person can do. That's why I've been asking Drunk_Aya, Onimura, Graph, Syanas, Telsa, and Leo for assistance, and consider to have them help along with getting the project together. I may be pulling in more as we keep moving.

Anyways, we spent time talking for the last few days about what could be considered for the scroll and ended up with at least 5 different ideas that most of us found interesting. And now I need you all to go vote for it. Which leads to this.

Today, the AWA Touhou Scroll Project forum is now live! You can find the scroll layout voting page here.

Also Drunk_Aya has worked with me and agreed to let me use his IRC channel for the duration of the project. So for anyone that wants to come talk with me when I'm around (and hopfully with the others). Feel free to go to the irc.ppirc.net server and come to #Touhoucon
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:14:13 AM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Formless God

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2013, 08:57:48 AM »
without PC-98
to Kosuzu
yesssss

My thoughts on the options:
- Double Vert: 120'' sounds kinda claustrophobic. Probably gonna need several floors per piece depending on how lumped together the characters are.
- Condensed Vert: What are the cost of each piece? I think vert would work best if you did
Spoiler:
one smaller scroll
Spoiler:
for every game.
Otherwise we're gonna need significantly smaller drawings.
- Condensed Hori: More room than Double Vert. mite b cool
- Panel & Segmented: As long as there's space. 40' doesn't sound like something you could hang on a wall though.

Anyway, I'm gonna be taking it easy at my 妹's place for an entire month starting June, so I'll be working on this if her tabloid is still functioning. Also, if the bgs are just mad stylization and no overly complex shading I could help out with them as well.

EDIT: I'm replying to the PM. This bit can be safely disregarded
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:01:11 AM by Formless Void »

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2013, 03:37:22 PM »
my two cents:

condensed segmented horizontal is a definite no for me, it will require too much time and collaboration

personally I prefer the wind waker one, I would also like to suggest the art to be done in b/w or monochrome because
1) cutting printing costs
2) scrolls are usually written in black (hey, looks neat, esp on a rice paper scroll or whatever)
3) save time and hassle over colour coordination

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
I would also like to encourage anyone and everyone who is or would like to be involved with this project to shoot over to the forum Totaku made in the link below:

AWA Touhou Scroll Project forum

There, we can all much more easily manage this project together to make this gift for ZUN the best it can be~! :)

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
i find the new forum kind of a waste of time, you have to sign up and everything... a hassle to visit it just for the project when here is fine
why not just use some google docs or something
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

pineyappled

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »
Seriously. I doubt anyone will use it past five or six people for a week or so.

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2013, 01:01:03 AM »
hi this is my top ten lolis to draw

1. Toyohime
2. Yorihime
3. Futo
4. Nitori
5. Kaguya
6. Keine
7. Eirin
8. Mokou
9. Youmu
10. Meiling

but I will draw any leftovers if need be

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »
Hello! I am interested in contributing to this project, although I must admit I am quite shy when it comes to my art. I am perfectly fine with drawing any characters I am given, but I would be glad to draw, in no particular order:

1. Alice
2. Rin
3. Patchouli
4. Yuyuko
5. Keine
6. Suwako
7. Parsee
8. Yoshika
9. Murasa
10. Hatate

http://mynameisorz.deviantart.com This is my deviantart, but I don't really upload much...
http://mynameisorz.tumblr.com/tagged/how+do+i+art And this is my tumblr, where i upload a bit more often.

I would truly appreciate it if you considered my art, so thank you!

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2013, 05:09:17 AM »
i find the new forum kind of a waste of time, you have to sign up and everything... a hassle to visit it just for the project when here is fine
why not just use some google docs or something
Seriously. I doubt anyone will use it past five or six people for a week or so.

There's still the issue where newly registered members have to make 10 posts before being able to post in this thread. Of course, you could simply move this to a more public area of the forums, but the other forum has the benefit of being equally easy (hard?) for people to sign up for. Furthermore, it's easier to organize the thread and project as a whole since there's more personal control over it (from the project leaders' point of view).

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2013, 07:37:05 AM »
I think you got that wrong there. The restricted areas are RPG and Lettyjournal, any new member can read and post here.
                                                                                   .

Totaku

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2013, 06:10:20 AM »
Well I've been spending my time figuring out the expenses and cost for the supplies needed for the scroll.  And while there are still months down the road to consider this. I thought I go ahead and bring them up now. You can find out more about them here

So if you have additional idea or suggestions on the materials please feel free to bring it up.

Also I took to opportunity to update the list of artist that have joined this project. There's been a big load that came pouring in over the last few days. But overall there are now 59 artists! (And Growing!)

I also took the opportunity to inform you that all artist will get a heads up soon on if they have been accepted for the project. So keep an eye on the list over the next few days after the closing of the Scroll Poll.
Now I Twitter

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2013, 06:18:25 PM »
You're making a closed list of artists? Why?
                                                                                   .

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »
You're making a closed list of artists? Why?

To put it bluntly, if you were running this, would you want a bunch of random artists jumping in the middle of the project around May, June, July with everything already long said and done shouting out, "I wanna be part of this, too~!"? There are already nearly 60 artists who want to be involved now, and characters and backgrounds have to be assigned far in advance if we want this project to ever see the light of day.

In short, this is supposed to be an organized project, not a free-for-all~

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »
To put it bluntly, if you were running this, would you want a bunch of random artists jumping in the middle of the project around May, June, July with everything already long said and done shouting out, "I wanna be part of this, too~!"?
Uh, yes? You really think you'll have anything done by may? That's cute.

Instead of fixing an elitist list of artists arbitrarily selected through some sketchy parameters that are still not clear to anyone yet, how about just keep indeed as a free-for-all, collect ALL the art you can, and then select what's best from it? Instead of imposing more restrictions on the restrictions of the restrictions.
                                                                                   .

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2013, 11:24:06 PM »
I think he meant that it would be disruptive for people to jump in later instead of now, Haku, but your point does still stand.

The rules for this project keep changing and I think it's really putting off a lot of people who would otherwise be quite enthusiastic.

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2013, 11:48:03 PM »
Uh, yes? You really think you'll have anything done by may? That's cute.

Nobody said anything about the project being finished by May. That month, as well as June and July, if you recall, were merely used as an example of an estimated time much farther away from now, and, on top of that, it was stated that the timeframe given as said example would be "in the middle of the project."

Instead of fixing an elitist list of artists arbitrarily selected through some sketchy parameters that are still not clear to anyone yet, how about just keep indeed as a free-for-all, collect ALL the art you can, and then select what's best from it?

Because many people would be inclined to do whichever character they wanted, leaving us with--realistically-speaking--piles of the same character done many times over and other characters having virtually no entries whatsoever. Please keep in mind that there are not only, say, ten characters in Gensoukyou; there are upwards of 100, and some of them are far more popular than others.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:50:09 PM by BL2W »

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »
Because many people would be inclined to do whichever character they wanted, leaving us with--realistically-speaking--piles of the same character done many times over and other characters having virtually no entries whatsoever. Please keep in mind that there are not only, say, ten characters in Gensoukyou; there are upwards of 100, and some of them are far more popular than others.
So? I thought the goal of the project was to demonstrate to ZUN the love of the western community for the franchise, not to make an character encyclopedia. That exists already.
                                                                                   .

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2013, 01:03:26 AM »
So? I thought the goal of the project was to demonstrate to ZUN the love of the western community for the franchise, not to make an character encyclopedia. That exists already.

The concern is that we want to prove that we care about Gensoukyou's world and community to ZUN, too, not just a handful of its cast.

For example, one of the most popular characters that people have listed on the survey in their top three has been Remilia. Now, imagine getting tens to hundreds of drawings/paintings of Remilia only and far, far fewer of everybody else. What would that say to ZUN? That EoSD was the best game in the series and that the others don't even compare? That no other character is as good as Remilia? That doesn't seem at all fair~

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »
That doesn't sound unfair at all, it just sounds like horrible overthinking.

I got given a Touhou artbook for Christmas. It features, Remilia, Flandre, Reimu, Aya, Yukari, Patchouli, Koakuma, Remilia, Reimu, Reimu, Reimu and Marisa.
I hardly think if ZUN were to see this book he'd think Serendipity is such a cunt, he only featured popular characters in his book.
                                                                                   .

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2013, 01:51:46 AM »
Somehow I think ZUN will be quite flattered to get any tribute of any kind from American fans. This is both cumbersome and tedious, and feels like you've taken down one set of restrictions and replaced them with another.

At any rate I think the topic has become more about fixing problems, real and perceived, with the central goal for the project, and increasingly less about actual ideas or work to show for the project. I think this says a lot already.

Tread lightly.

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2013, 02:49:21 AM »
The concern is that we want to prove that we care about Gensoukyou's world and community to ZUN, too, not just a handful of its cast.

For example, one of the most popular characters that people have listed on the survey in their top three has been Remilia. Now, imagine getting tens to hundreds of drawings/paintings of Remilia only and far, far fewer of everybody else. What would that say to ZUN? That EoSD was the best game in the series and that the others don't even compare? That no other character is as good as Remilia? That doesn't seem at all fair~

but you realize that the western community actually does not care in general everyone? that yes, a majority hanker over the vampire lolis, or mainly the EOSD cast,  yes you might like other touhous, you might like every touhou, but not everyone does. not every touhou fan loves all the characters. A LOT OF PEOPLE voice out their distaste for the wakatsukis, 'lovingly' labeling them the 'moonbitches' just because they were so 'OP and shit thats unfair WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH'  yes i know, someone has volunteered to actually draw the both of them, which is ok and everything, but as haku said its not a character encyclopedia, he already knows his characters that he made HIMSELF, why give him a gallery of things he knows, of things he created???????

even in the east EOSD  is by far one if not the most popular(only falling short to perhaps IN or SA) , all we have to do is to instill a "first come first serve" guide for everyone, which i thought was already in place but APPARENTLY NOT?.... look i've had to do group projects every semester and already we cannot decide on the focus of the project (encyclopedia or graphical love letter to ZUN for his creations? you choose)

if you want to impress him so much why not just hire some professional renowned artist/illustrator, ive seen a few that are touhou fans, surely its not hard to find them, and just have them draw the whole fucking scroll, im sure ZUN will be so impressed, and im sure this is fair, every character gets their spotlight.

after all, the goal should be to show western art and love of the series?

---
for people randomly wanting to jump in, isnt that we have a deadline for?

in other matters i think it would be good for someone to crosspost updates (instead of just linking) form the other forum JIC people dont see them
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division