Author Topic: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Battle's Palette (OC Theme) (2/22/12)  (Read 186673 times)

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
Re: [Music] Making Melodies needs skipping random meals because we LOVE IT!
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »
Lost Dream, Broken Dream (Remix)
A remix of my re-arrange. Sounds a little clearer, but I still can't control many of the Midi effects, like reverb and chorus. I can barely handle Limiters as well. >.<
And it doesn't sound shmup-ish.
Grr.
I wouldn't be doing this if I'm not in love with her theme. >.<
Also, replaced the first post links to this one.

U.N. Owen Fidelity Mix
This was a direct rip from EoSD Midi then got plastered on by my usual soundfonts. I just wanted to test them soundfonts on this before I mix it. Truth be told, I like the part when the violin goes "gweeeeh~" just before the chorus (0:28 and 1:37).

The original used distortion guitars, but my D.Gitah sounds bad. :(

Frankly, I like the midi version of U.N. Owen than the wav version. But of course, anything is better than this.

And if you clicked the last link, may your soul rest in eternal peace.

*Notices the 1300+ views*
wat
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:40:34 AM by Anunsew »

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
I see you remixed it already... you're fast :O
sounds more like an instrument swap and modulation though.not that thats something bad! a remix would be when you also put heavy drum samples behind the song:O
to be honest i like the original more.
the EPs drown out the harpsichord, and the general sound quality has dropped. those wind sfx might also be a little too repetitive, in the end. and loud.
the ending of the original arrange felt very nostalgic to me, probably due to those extra EPs/synths (what are they?) you added there. and the sound effects kinda kill it here.
try random things and keep what you like, thats what i did with my arrangement of the song.

i got a question though, are you using ZUN's MIDIs for (at least a part of) this song?

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
I LOVE EVERYTHING YOU DOO~~
Everything's really well done, and you managed to give the songs the same feeling they had but with your own essence (by matters of speaking, of course)
The music box for the sleeping princess was....too beautiful for words to even be able to describe it~~
And Kana's theme remix is...well... the same as above! xD I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally liked it (As everything else xD) And I think that the original song is great (and should have more remixes ??) but that you made even a greater song :D

Anunsew

you're fast :O
I have to be, or else I'll never finish it. I have the attention span of a kid with ADHD on caffeine. :p

to be honest i like the original more.
The original is less muffled than this, with peak sounds at -2db, which means less distortion.
It's because of the sample saturation. I'm trying to reduce saturation while maintaining the 12 samples at just under peak level.

the EPs drown out the harpsichord, and the general sound quality has dropped. those wind sfx might also be a little too repetitive, in the end. and loud.
the ending of the original arrange felt very nostalgic to me, probably due to those extra EPs/synths (what are they?) you added there. and the sound effects kinda kill it here.
It's Honky tonk piano, actually. Quality drops because of over-peak recordings and bad Audio Compression in my part. It sucked the dynamics (the first one had a dynamic range of 4, this one only had 1). I didn't realize that the sfx was overpowering because of my mono headphones, I only had faders as my clues on how they really sound.

It's Slap Bass.

try random things and keep what you like, thats what i did with my arrangement of the song.
I'll try maintaining everything at -10db (except the Master track) next time. Yes, I am remixing this remix as we speak. Anunsew works hard, Anunsew needs to learn fast. Good thing your remix provides an ample example of what I should do. :3

i got a question though, are you using ZUN's MIDIs for (at least a part of) this song?
Yes. I don't intend to make money from this though, so I hope ZUN doesn't go after my soul.
But my soundfonts sounds -really- bad at normal levels (at default midi levels) that I have to crash course audio mixing. If I get around to mastering the techniques, I could consider a job at a recording studio. XD

Okay, time to work. Will post a cleaner version of Lost Dream later. XD
EDIT:
I didn't know I could use stereo seperation as a workaround. Google is amazing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:25:32 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

Here's another try at Kana's theme
It still half-baked though, but it sounds a lot better than my first two tries.

I realized that my main mistake is over compression which sucks the peaks and falls of the song.

Now, if I only know how to create an auditorium effect to it, then I would be happier. :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:15:58 AM by Anunsew »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Hey.

You know what? Your music is excellent.

One day, I want to make a separate Resident Artist tag for the musicians. Like, Resident Rocker, and it has :dragonforce: in it instead of :*. It's more fitting, somehow.

Anunsew

Girl's Magical Crusade
My first Seihou arrange. :3 And it's Erich's theme!

YAY OLD MAN!

It's really short, barely one loop of the original, but it's more of an experiment anyway. XD
Been experimenting much since I last posted. XD

Hey.

You know what? Your music is excellent.
Thanks! It's those thumbs up that keeps me going. XD
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:54:53 AM by Anunsew »

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
...why do you always arrange stuff i have listened for hours just before you post it

you should put more of yourself in these arranges. currently they're just instrument swaps, or at least it sounds like that to me :O

Anunsew

Hina, Will You Please Help Me?
A mix of Hina's theme...with Gyges, Will you Please Help Me?
It's from a pretty old shmup called Tyrian (dates even before TH02-SoEW).

Lost Dream, Broken Dream (Final)
Final clean-up, really took me a while. It sounds a lot clearer now, and does not "boom" at loud parts. :3
I really need to get my act fixed. :[

...why do you always arrange stuff i have listened for hours just before you post it

you should put more of yourself in these arranges. currently they're just instrument swaps, or at least it sounds like that to me :O

XD
Maybe, that's just how I am. :P

Though I'll try to make original sounding arranges from time to time.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
You're amazing, anunsew! That music is just incredibly euphoric to my ears :D My favorite one so far is your Rin Satsuki's theme. I am not a very good music critic, so I can't offer any constructive criticism unfortunately.  But keep up the good work ^^b

Anunsew

Re: [Music] Making Melodies needs watching McRoll because we...er...never mind.
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2010, 03:18:18 AM »
A draft:

UN Owen

Wow, my first try on making a mix sound like Rock, or something.
It's still a little jumbled, I'm going to clean it a little bit more before posting a youtube link.
I can't believe it took me almost three weeks just to get it to sound like this. :P
...I really need to stop listening to that clown...

And, uh...many thanks to Coin Spire. He should know why. XD
Whisper samples (around 1:20~ish onwards) are from thanvanispen (freesounds.org).

EDIT: around 2 hours later

Ninja reupload, hah!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:46:38 PM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2010, 09:21:57 AM »
Final mix of the above mix. Yes, mixing a mix is now my favorite past time.
Tea Breaks

Whisper samples (around 1:20~ish onwards) are from thanvanispen (freesounds.org).
Laughter samples are from NoiseCollector (freesounds.org).

Woosh~
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:47:36 PM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2010, 02:16:22 AM »
Different Shades of Autumn

Tracks:
Track: 神々が恋した幻想郷 (TH10~Mountain of Faith)
Artist: ZUN
Time: 0:00~0:20/1:07~1:33
Instruments:
Flute, padded with String Ensemble
Mandolin. It's a mandolin, not a harpsichord dammit.

Track:【 蓬莱幻想 ~ far East 】(☆その他の作品~ZUN's Strange Works)
Time: 0:21~ 1:06/4:06~end
Instruments:
Unfiltered Acoustic Grand Piano (UAGP)...I mean, I had to add noise to make it sound more reverby.
String Ensemble for padding

Track: 稲田姫様に叱られるから(TH10~Mountain of Faith)
Time: 1:33~2:17
Instruments:
Drums, doh.
UAGP padded by Acoustic Bass, but it's hard to hear.
Violin
Romantic Trumpet
Brass Trumpet

Track: 芥川龍之介の河童 ~ Candid Friend (TH10~Mountain of Faith)
Time: 2:18~2:57
Instruments:
Pad (warm)...maybe I should start calling them Sakuy--‚?‚?‚?‚?‚?‚?‚?‚?�B“–�_Ž?‚?�_Ž?‚?‚ ‚?‚y‚t‚m�?�?‚??ƒf�[ƒ^‚?“WŽ?‚?‚?‚ ‚?‚?‚?�B*connection has timed out*
Romantic Trumpet
Brass Trumpet
Drums

Track: 人恋し神様 ~ Romantic Fall (TH10~Mountain of Faith)
Time: 2:57~4:05
Instruments:
Microsoft Acoustic Grand Piano + reverb
Drums

Yay, a youtube at last!
I really hate uploading. It's too slow/my patience cannot cope with the wait. XD

Uh...since I've been using THFont and THDrums for as long as I can remember, I should take this opportunity to thank Drake for providing the link for THFont and THDrums, it really helped a lot. :3

Tea Breaks

Me playing around with instruments, haha~
It was fun, but I guess I know my limits when it comes to heavy instruments now. XD
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:03:38 AM by Anunsew »

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2010, 03:18:09 AM »
Different Shades of Autumn
That sounds pretty good, specially considering some of the problems that THFont has. Good job on that.

Anunsew

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »
That sounds pretty good, specially considering some of the problems that THFont has. Good job on that.

THFont's problems makes mixing a little more challenging and masochistic. :D

I do wonder why the Pan Flute's F7, F8, and F9 all sound off-pitch. I mean, it sounds normal at other pitches. : /
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:27:12 AM by Anunsew »

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »
THFont's problems makes mixing a little more challenging and masochistic. :D

I do wonder why the Pan Flute's F7, F8, and F9 all sound off-pitch. I mean, it sounds normal at other pitches. : /

What program u use?
Let me back into CPMC :|

Anunsew

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »
i think some instruments are programmed to act like that.
or the finetuning isnt correct.

Lloyd Dunamis

• aka Amanie
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2010, 12:19:18 PM »
Beware of yet another wall of text from me :ohdear:
Anunsew, when quoting from my post (or anyone in the future, perhaps), you could make quoting easier by having a separate Firefox tab for the quote itself and one for your reply... Well, that's one way for me to ease copy-pasting quotes anyway. I'm worried you might do this again and spend more time fixing the post that should've been spent elsewhere while you still have renting time.

Eye of Painful Death ~ Fourth Melody... Anunsew, did you happen to have an experience with ghosts? Because I'm feeling I'm being haunted when I listened to it o_o;; (probably Distortion Guitar or something else distortion-like instrument at fault, but fault not in a "mistake" way)
Also, this is another remix and not an original, I feel? Parts of the piece sounds like a track I've listened to once and never again yet... Oh wait, nevermind, that was the preview samples of the Distortion guitar you provided, aheheh ^^;; (getting the new music I've been hearing everyday all mixed up :ohdear:)

Quote from: Anunsew
I have the attention span of a kid with ADHD on caffeine. :p
Huh, that must explain "Coffee beans, coffee beans, COFFEE BEANS!!!!" xD
Though really, I admire you for your fast-paced yet quality work! >w<

I noticed, though, that your recent musical pieces are......... I dunno, they make me computer-dizzy or something @___@...unless it's made to be that.

Quote from: Anunsew
Uh...since I've been using THFont and THDrums for as long as I can remember, I should take this opportunity to thank Drake for providing the link for THFont and THDrums, it really helped a lot. :3
Indeed! Thank you for thanking Drake~ =w=
Hnn... Since I've burned off a few space in my harddrive, might as well try that soundfont sometimes, see what awesomeness I could make from it =w=. Also, because I want to hear what these "problems" you speak of are -- I definitely don't hear them in the finished product.

I think Drake didn't just "link" these soundfonts; they're also made by Drake himself :3... Well, that's how I understood Drake's post.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:27:43 AM by Lloyd Dunamis »
2010.1212 <Sakana> The only time wasted is the time in which you really do nothing at all, not even enjoying yourself
You may send me suspicious files that could be infected/a trojan, and I'll try analyzing it for you. :3 -Mo?ware, your personal Anti-Malware Engineer

« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
FL Studio 9

Try Reason. And if you use a Mac, Logic.
Let me back into CPMC :|

Anunsew

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2010, 04:09:50 AM »
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shattered Fleur de Lis
Uploaded the final version of my second Iris remix. I really love this theme. And the bad ending. XD

Why does THFont HonkyTonk Piano sound like it came from an FM synth? It sounds so moe~

And I've decided that the Flute will be my favorite weapon of choice (aside from drums--drums are moe) in my upcoming battles. XD
It sounds so airy~
I had fun adjusting the pitchbend around 0:48. Weird sounds are fun. :3
I also discovered recently that I have become addicted to watching sample waveforms. :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eye of Painful Death ~ Fourth Melody... Anunsew, did you happen to have an experience with ghosts? Because I'm feeling I'm being haunted when I listened to it o_o;; (probably Distortion Guitar or something else distortion-like instrument at fault, but fault not in a "mistake" way)
Can't say I've had any hauntings recently. On a serious note, I didn't use any distortion guitars in the original one.
It's probably the Romantic trumpets, I added portamento effects on it, making it sound overdriven.
Also, this is another remix and not an original, I feel? Parts of the piece sounds like a track I've listened to once and never again yet... Oh wait, nevermind, that was the preview samples of the Distortion guitar you provided, aheheh ^^;; (getting the new music I've been hearing everyday all mixed up :ohdear:)
Shiku's theme is an original. Parts of it (mainly the chords and the double descension) came from this but you've probably guessed by now. XD
...delicious drums....~
I noticed, though, that your recent musical pieces are......... I dunno, they make me computer-dizzy or something @___@...unless it's made to be that.
Er...is that a good thing, or bad?
Indeed! Thank you for thanking Drake~ =w=
Hnn... Since I've burned off a few space in my harddrive, might as well try that soundfont sometimes, see what awesomeness I could make from it =w=. Also, because I want to hear what these "problems" you speak of are -- I definitely don't hear them in the finished product.

I think Drake didn't just "link" these soundfonts; they're also made by Drake himself :3... Well, that's how I understood Drake's post.
If that's the case he did a good job out of it, despite what he says about THFont. :P

Try Reason. And if you use a Mac, Logic.
Is there a difference between them and FL? I'm the kind of person who sticks to the same "instrument" (being, my studio mixer program). And I really like FL being an all around program, though I've never sequenced in it. Piano roll just isn't for me, and I prefer notation sequencing then attack/release editing afterwards.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:51:38 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

Far East Hourai Illusion
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Far East Hourai Illusion

A mix of Hourai Illusion ~ Far East, the sixth track of ☆その他の作品 ~ ZUN's Strange Works. I've had a certain affinity for this song for some time now. -_-

Anunsew

Re: [Music] Making Melodies needs love!....LOVE!!!!!
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2010, 03:48:01 AM »
Another original:

Quick, Precise, Stalking Death
Youtube
Midi means low quality synths (may contain slight differences from the mp3 and Youtube versions)
Requested by: ninjaloser602 from Youtube
Midi fix and refix by: NamelessLegacy

It sounds better than my first few originals, I think.
Well, it does sound different. :3

Details:
Anyway, the intro riff (0~0:19) is based from Marisa's Casket of Stars from TH04~
At least, the idea for the square bass line is. :/

The main melody (0:20~0:32)...although I don't know where I got it from, I tried mixing THfont's trumpets (both Romantic and Brass) a little different from my other tries. It sounds a little bit richer now.

I composed two bass lines for this piece, one for the Slap Bass (whole notes and eighths), and the other one for the Square Wave (eighths and sixteenths).

The main padding was Strings (as usual) playing whole bars throughout the whole piece. Also, you might also notice Saw waves playing long chords scattered all over the place.

The drum (THDrum, actually) was a simple 8 beat pattern, so nothing much to say about it.

Vibraphones (from 0:57 onwards) are padded with UAGP (Unfiltered Acoustic Grand Piano, a fancy name I gave for THFont's Acoustic Piano after I apply some mixing to it.

Also, you might notice that I did not apply looping fade this time. I think it sounds more final if I cut it at the last bar instead. However, if ever it was made to loop, it would loop back to 0:57, thus the intro up to 0:56 will only be played once.

The composition itself is arranged:
(0:00 ~ 0:19) Intro
(0:20 ~ 0:31) First Chorus (Slap Bass playing whole notes)
(0:32 ~ 0:44) Full Chorus (Slap Bass playing eighths)
(0:45 ~ 0:56) Chorus Variation (Unvaried Finish)
(0:57 ~ 1:10) First Bridge
(1:11 ~ 1:28) First Verse
(1:29 ~ 1:46) First Verse Variation
(1:47 ~ 2:00) Second Bridge (Vibraphone playing an octave higher)
(2:01 ~ 2:13) Full Chorus
(2:14 ~ 2:28) Chorus Variation (Varied Finish)
(2:29 ~ 2:59)  Second Verse
(3:00 ~ 3:13) Second Bridge
(3:14 ~ 3:26) Full Chorus
(3:27 ~ 3:40) Chorus Variation (Varied Finish)
(3:41 ~ 3:53) Full Chorus Modulated
(3:54 ~ 4:10) Chorus Variation Modulated (Varied Finish)

...well, it's the first theme I ever did that had any sort of planning, so I'm quite proud of it. XD

*Anunsew stretches*
Time to make another Rin Satsuki theme.
I think I'm ready. XD

I wonder if I can get it done by December 12 though
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:03:16 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

Man, I'm starving for something sweet
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »
Yay, it's already a year after my first composition. XD

To celebrate, I decided to make another Rin Satsuki theme.

Penetrating Flame of Justice

I based it off more on my first composition from a year ago. My present piece is more of a testimonial of what I've been through since I decided to take up composing. It may not be as great as some of my earlier works, but I could say that this is the theme I've worked the hardest on so far.

And fastest too, considering I usually take 2-3 weeks between projects. :P
Heck, it's not even a week after I finished Miki's theme. XD

Well, the differences are obvious, but two things remains the same.
I love Touhou. And I suck at melodies. >.<

Why can't compositions be all bassline and drums? :/

Gonna upload it on Youtube tomorrow~
Hehe~
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:17:04 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

Because Rin Satsuki needs more themes
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2010, 02:11:29 AM »
The Penetrating Flame of Justice

A Youtube, at last.

Woah, I can see the spiral bookbinder at the top. O_o

Image was drawn by me, with a mechanical pencil, a 0.5 mm local ballpen, and a box of crayons.
Crayons are win.

Thank you, Internet.
And curse you, Coin Spire, for condemning me to an eternity without afternoon naps.
I hope you run out of sugar for your tea. >.<
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:31:04 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

Nantouhou is Non-touhou!
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2010, 05:31:14 AM »
Non touhou related. You've been warned.

Maligayang Pasko at Masaganang Bagong Taon / Ang Pasko ay Sumapit / Christmas Has Arrived

Unless you're acquainted with Filipino culture, I doubt you'd know this song. It's a traditional Christmas song played in our country. This song was first composed in the Cebuano dialect, under the title "Kasadya ning takna-a", but it became famous under Levi Celerio's version. I don't know much about the history of this song (what a patriotic thing to say), so better do your own research if you're interested.

Regardless, it's a song played every year in the Philippines ever since it gained fame as a Christmas song since 1950s.

This arrange, (actually more of an experiment on my part; this is the first time I tried composing strictly in piano roll--I usually use standard notation in all of my arranges before) was supposed to be in the style of a marching band, hence the loud drum lines...but how the heck will the piano fit in a marching band?

Strictly speaking, this is my first track that doesn't have anything to do with ZUN, except for the fact that I only used THfont and Thdrums in making this...

Still, even it's not Touhou related (It's Non-touhou because it's Nantouhou! Hahaha!...Nobody got the pun, I'm sure of it.), I hope you enjoy it all the same.

Uwa

• Nincompoop
Ah, how nostalgic! I hear this sometimes over at my family-friends' Christmas gatherings whilst engulfed by the scent of...lumpia. I'm not a music specialist or anything, but it's a refreshing take.
Muukyu :(

Anunsew

...lumpia.

:D

Shanghai? It's a classic. :P

Anunsew

Another Art thingy
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2011, 07:47:31 AM »
A Remilia art by me~

Tried drawing a different costume (making costume concepts is my pride when it comes to drawing :3), but I guess it ended up lowering her charisma in exchange for moe~ >.<

Hmm, color pencils are way better than crayons. But it still offers me limited color dynamics and shading. Heck, it's so hard to color the skin since I must color it with an orange pencil with an ever so light touch~ (I have no idea what I'm talking about, btw~)
Maybe I just lack experience. :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:53:05 AM by Anunsew »