Author Topic: [Music+Art] Making Melody Needs Love! Battle's Palette (OC Theme) (2/22/12)  (Read 186685 times)

flamezero16

• The Great Southern Trendkill
  • Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!....LOVE!!!!! BWAHAHAH!
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2011, 06:00:41 PM »
Daaaaw shucks thats adorable  :3 Well done Anny~

Anunsew

• No errors for 5 seconds!
  • Currently fueled by Infinite Love!
DSoA
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2011, 03:23:26 AM »
Decided to put this up here in case my removable drive fails, and also for future reference:
Different Shades of Autumn.flp

Notes:
This was rendered in FL Studio 9 using 6-point hermite at 44100hz, and it would sound best (I think), in those settings.
If played inside directly inside FL, it might cause cracking sounds due to the CPU stress that multiple plugins use (at least, it does in FL 9 in my current PC).
It has 25 audio tracks. The following are needed for normal playback:
Fruity SoundFont player
Fruity LSD (with FL studio's built-in Roland GM/GS soundset)
thfont.sf2
thdrums.sf2

A drum line mp3, professing my undying love for THdrums. XD
yay!
Of all the instruments in the TH sound set, I love the drums the best. XD
...although I'm a bit aware that there are only a few people who might even be interested in drums...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:22:10 AM by Anunsew »

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »
hey. you just made 90% of a trance song. i like it.
also, should I make sumthin like this too, some time?

Anunsew

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2011, 01:09:03 AM »
hey. you just made 90% of a trance song. i like it.
also, should I make sumthin like this too, some time?

Are you talking about the drums?
It's actually the drumline of this:
And Thou Shalt Be Judged ~ Violet Reparation
I was meaning to post it a day ago, but I was too lazy ~
That's the TR-909 patch of thdrums~ I just love the way it sounds.

東方 異世門 (Eastern Otherworldly Gate) Tracks
Track 1:
A Usual Day ~ Serene Orient

Requester's comment:
^Touhou Iseibon theme. A usual day in Gensokyo. But there is always the chance that there will be an incident to interrupt that peace. So this is a theme that makes you recognize the tranquility in the land, but at  the same time makes you expect the worst. Wow, isn't that some kind of paradox?

Comment:
A usual day in an oriental land. However, across every corner of the road, there's always an off chance that you might encounter something unusual. The theme is fairly repetitive, since it's a usual day--however, it is not altogether relaxed as it start to open up in the middle of the track, because you know that in Gensokyo, anything can happen in a blink of an eye.

My first try at hard loops...and a theme that uses less than eight instruments.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:12:41 AM by Anunsew »

Infy♫

• Demonic★Moe
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
the HiHat of the second song seems way too loud, it overpowers the rest... besides that its pretty good. ambient.

Anunsew

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2011, 01:10:42 AM »
the HiHat of the second song seems way too loud, it overpowers the rest... besides that its pretty good. ambient.

I thought it was a good idea to use it to set the theme's atmosphere. XD
This was the model. Though of course, I didn't use the snares, it would've been too lively otherwise.

Hmm, guess I have to set the drum limiter a little lower next time.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:19:29 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:33 AM »
Did a little remastering of Lloyd's Venture! Timid Youkai!
Mp3

I've been on a stump again, so I was digging through my archives when I found its midi in my drive. Since I always need practice mixing THfont sounds, I thought of giving it another shot. ~

Lloyd should find more time to make new stuff... XD

Incoming wall of text that nobody actually cares about:

On another note, I figured out that the ClavinovaPanFlu (patch 76 / Pan Flute in standard midi banks) patch of ThFont sounds strange at low note velocities at pitch C7~D7 and at selective pitches at higher octaves. They work normally at around 75%+ note velocity (that's 127(0.75) = 95.25 or a value of 96 for most synthesizers and midi software). If it's too low, the sample sounds weird:

Sample

They are both ClavinovaPanFlu (patch 76). The first and third sample are at 55% (or 70)  note velocity (volume raised for comparison) while the second and fourth samples are at  100% velocity (or 127). I don't know if its supposed to work that way, but it only happens at selected pitches, like when I used them for Sammy's theme.

Track 2:
Uncanny Occurence

Requester's Comment:
^This theme will have a peaceful overtone to it. Like a usual carefree day in Gensokyo. It should have some heavy parts to it to signify that something is about to disturb that tranquility.

Comment:
It was hard getting this one, since I'm bad at musical transitions and/or peaceful themes. >.<
Since I was bad at it, I thought, what the heck. Still, it came out a little bit off, heh.

I started with a peaceful melody, then essentially building it up to a chaotic chorus. If you listen carefully, you'll find some familiar tones from one of my favorites from ZUN's work.

Essentially, it was supposed to convey the emotion of having a walk in the afternoon when you bump into something you shouldn't have. You try to run, being chased by things you haven't seen before. You feel their footsteps catching up, and you run faster. And just when you feel like you were about to be caught, you suddenly wake up from a very bad dream. XD

Whenever I compose, I wonder...why is the coffee always gone?
:P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:27:26 AM by Anunsew »

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs love!...XD
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »
Sounds good amigo, but...

On another note, I figured out that the ClavinovaPanFlu (patch 76 / Pan Flute in standard midi banks) patch of ThFont sounds strange at low note velocities at pitch C7~D7 and at selective pitches at higher octaves. They work normally at around 75%+ note velocity (that's 127(0.75) = 95.25 or a value of 96 for most synthesizers and midi software). If it's too low, the sample sounds weird:

:/

Anunsew

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2011, 02:27:58 AM »
Sounds good amigo, but...

:/

There was a disclaimer before the tl;dr wall...

On account of Uncanny Occurence, it's my first time using a Shakuhachi. Ever.
It sounds so moe~
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:37:23 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

-.-
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2011, 06:36:17 AM »
Track 3:
Deep Within the Discovered Path

Requestor's Comment:
^The usual gate theme. This should have something of a soft, yet mysterious and frantic theme. There's something here and it could jump out at you at any moment! You try to keep your cool but you can't shake the feeling that you might get pounced on.

Comment:
I feel a little bit different after making this theme. First of all, this theme didn't follow my usual workflow, and I tried a little experimentation in note timing and stuff. But, in the end, I guess it doesn't sound too different from my other works.
 :P
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:10:04 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

Hourai Illusion..again, because it needs MOAR love~♥♥♥
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2011, 04:42:56 AM »
Far East Hourai Illusion
Mediafire

This track is my favorite out of the six tracks composed by ZUN (followed quickly by Plastic Space, Yay!) in his album (?) "☆その他の作品 ~ ZUN's Strange Works". This was remixed with THfont/THdrums (which is what I usually use since I made Shiku's theme--it's a lot more than just ZUN's trumpets, you know) and a little of the classic Roland GM/GS synthesizer (aka the built-in Microsoft Midi synth for those who can't/don't have proper Midi compatible soundcards , hooray!).

I like this theme because of the excited piano movements, it really does give an ambient feel which I crave in ZUN's compositions. Too bad this theme wasn't used in any of the TH games, it could pass as a really good ending and/or credits theme, maybe surpassing "Herselves" which already ranks high in my favorite ending themes.

The end riff is improvised though, since this track was made supposed to repeat and fadeout. Instead I improvised with an ending chord of sorts and messed with the tempo to give it a finished feel. However, it also gave off a "lost" feel, or something...

copypasteiswin

Anunsew

And Thou Shalt be Judged ~ Violet Reparation now on Youtube! YAY!
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2011, 01:34:24 AM »
Youtube:
Sumire Raikōji
And Thou Shalt be Judged ~ Violet Reparation
Download:
Mediafire
Requested by: Ruro

Remastered Sumire's theme, and now on Youtube! Yay! XD

I experimented (yet again), this time with the SC-55 drums of THdrums (the drumkit pair of THfont). I also devised a more concrete way of mixing Romantic Trumpets (ZUN trumoets?) more properly to get that nice crisp sound. I also improved in the mixing of my favorite instrument, the flute, with the loud trumpets. It gives a nice counter-touch to the loud brass instruments, no?

The warp sound near the end is actually three trumpets pitchbended at ridiculous slides.

Hmm, I still can't shake that habit of modulating near the end. It sounds so PC-98ish, I guess.

~Flutes = love~

My drawing of Sumire. Colored pencils are becoming more comfortable to use.
And I'm getting better at inking using only a one size pen. XD

Positive and Negative

Because a giant bouncing Yin-yang orb is moe.
Who cares about the humanoid forms anyway? :P
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:50:01 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

She's in a Temper!
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2011, 03:11:46 AM »
Youtube:
She's in a Temper!
Download:
Mediafire download link (higher qualtiy)

This piece's midi was composed nearly a year ago (from an earlier video of mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ZTVfJTfkw ) from DMBN's easy note sheet of the said theme ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IkKR8GNvXk ). I added the other accompaniments and drums by listening to the SoEW tracks in Hoot.  So in other words, after almost a year, I decided to pick up the midi file again, spent two hours replacing soundfonts over the original Midi, and then cleaning it up and mixing it. Procrastination, yum.

All the sounds are Thfont (as usual), though I did experiment with the Shakuhachi and Flute sounds again. Also, tasty P5 Square Wave is tasty, though I think JP-8 Square wave sounds richer.

This is one of my favorite EX-bosses, and this is my favorite theme of hers. Her Ex-theme sounds a bit too dark for my taste. XD
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:19:45 AM by Anunsew »

Primula

• EARL TYPE 222
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2011, 03:20:34 AM »
That Positive and Negative arrange is pretty nice, and yes orbie needs more love. =B

And the Rika theme arrange is pretty nice too. I'm putting this thread on my notify list. :>

Anunsew

Re: She's in a Temper!!
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2011, 03:27:05 AM »
That Positive and Negative arrange is pretty nice, and yes orbie needs more love. =B

And the Rika theme arrange is pretty nice too. I'm putting this thread on my notify list. :>

Thanks! :3
Although I think the Positive and Negative Arrange stayed too near to the original HRtP version. :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:36:49 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

Track 4: Familiar Dream
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
東方 異世門 (Eastern Otherworldly Gate)
Track 4:
Familiar Dream
Stage 1 Theme

Requester's Comment:
Familiar Dream
^A happy theme with a relaxed tune. This theme should emphasize a vivid, favorable dream that one has and the happiness upon remembering it.

Comment:
It should be a little relaxed, so I don't know if this theme turned out fine. I guess this theme is relaxed at the beginning and builds up towards the end.

I also tried another approach when I compose so this theme is distinctive from my earlier works. It sounds a little repetitive though, because I originally planned it to be much shorter (since it's just the first stage), but I guess I got a little carried away. ;)

Well, I guess it's good exercise. XD
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:11:18 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

The Alice in Wonderland Angel...er, I mean, Swordsman of a Distant Star Remix!
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2011, 03:14:36 AM »
Youtube:
Konngara's theme:
The "Alice in Wonderland Angel" ~ Swordsman from a Distant Star
Download:
Link
Loop

I tried sticking close to the original HRtP version, but I guess I wanted it to be faster and more powerful. However, the lead instruments make it sound too loli-fied. It makes me imagine a "loli" boss suddenly charging headfirst into a fight. XD

This time, I mixed the THfont flute (which I affectionately named Poinsettia) to make it sound more synthetic. Adding vibraphones as accents made it sound a little childing though. XD
The drum line feels rushed, but I guess it sounds more natural to me that way. :P
And I made the audio compression a little saturated, to emulate the FM's audio quality. XD

The improvisation at the end was supposed to make it more loop-friendly, this theme can hard-loop without sounding too awkward.

To Touhou 1 ~ HRtP:
Screw your HARRY UP!, I like taking my time on your stages, damn it. :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:01:55 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

wat
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2011, 03:01:47 AM »
A random drawing I made when I was bored and/or feeling uncreative with music.

Messing around with Gimp enabled me to mess with transparency, yay!

insert shameless OC-insert
Name: Poinsettia (ポインセティア )
Species: Youkai flute
Ability: Frequency Modulation

An abandoned flute whose master died in an accident. She was originally a flute played by a musician who liked to travel. One day, while they were travelling by ship, they struck a shoal reef that caused their ship to flounder. Her master drowned in the accident, and she was lost amidst the sinking ship. Fortunately, she was inside her instrument case so she did not rust while she drifted across the salty waters. She floated aimlessly on the ocean for such a long time that when she was washed ashore, her case's lock broke down with rust and she fell into the sand. There she was left to rust, until the she became a youkai.

On the day she became a youkai, she remembered her master's final words before her master parted for the realm of the dead. Her master said, "I hope you can find a better master someday, someone who can make better music than I."  Now she travels around, searching for a master who can play her as a flute. Unfortunately, she failed to realize that no normal human being will be able to play her because she is now a youkai. Since no one wants to play her, she often makes music by herself, learning to control pitches of sound as they pass through the air. She can also control the vibration of other things, but she generally doesn't understand all those stuff, and she limits herself to making sounds. She can be annoying at times, but people just ignore her, unless she starts breaking things by accident.

She is generally harmless, but she can be destructive, especially when she plays at really high pitches. Some frequencies that are above the human hearing can affect other youkai, and since she is a youkai, she can also play those really high pitches. Everything vibrates at a specific frequency, and if she plays that specific frequency (usually by accident), she can break random objects. She isn't very bright either, so she doesn't know its her fault.

Civilization of Magic, here we~ come!

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2011, 04:35:22 AM »
Civilization of Magic, here we~ come!
oh god yes

Anunsew

Civilization of Magic has many magicians
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2011, 04:10:56 AM »
Yay, another HRtP remix! And it's Sariel's second theme. :3
Download:
Civilization of Magic
Loop version

No youtube yet, unfortunately. Might upload later.

Sariel's second theme, 'nuff said. The FM version kind of lacks the "Here I come!" feel, so I tried adding pads like Choir Ahhs and more Strings to see how it would turn out. I was also reluctant to use trumpets at first, because it tends to drown out most of the other instruments, but I applied a more gentle compression this time, so they tend to blend with the other soft instruments like the flute and pan flute. XD

This track's drumline is also composed differently, since I separated the drum channel into membranophones (snare and kick) and the metal percussions. This way, I was able to apply different equalizers to those two parts, instead of just toughing it out with just one drumkit channel.

I did not understand any of what I just said. >.<
Oh well. I guess it sounds a little better than Konngara's theme, since I like Sariel's theme a lot more. XD

Anunsew

Youtube update!
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »
Here's a youtube link of Civilization of Magic!

I guess I could've added more parts, and some stuff. It's still pretty lacking.

EDIT:
Also added a Dropbox Link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8508770/Civilization%20of%20Magic.mp3
For those who hate Mediafire.

I need to make an alternate link for everything one of these days. ~_~
But I'm too lazy. XD
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:00:47 AM by Anunsew »

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs Magic!...XD Youtube Update YAY!
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2011, 01:35:42 AM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?6nc609bdq7xba5t

I'll just leave this here.
It's an alternate rip of the Romantic Tp,  it's doesn't sound very different from what you're used to, but there can be a few differences.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:43:52 AM by Master Bigode ( eωe) »

Anunsew

Re: [Music+Art] Making Melodies needs Magic!...XD Youtube Update YAY!
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2011, 01:52:23 AM »

It's an alternate rip of the Romantic Tp,  it's doesn't sound very different from what you're used to, but there can be a few differences.

Thanks! I might now have the opportunity to check it out right away, but I'll certainly try it. :3

Anunsew

Another senseless post
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2011, 03:00:23 AM »
Not too important post, but a follow-up thing about the Alternate rip of the Romantic Tp.

I found something a bit odd with the Trumpet sound Bigode posted:

First four bars of Sariel's first theme with the Alternate Romantic Tp:
Listen~

And here's with the Romantic Tp sound of THfont:
Listen~

The Alt Romantic Tp makes weird harmonic sounds with the other instruments, making it stand out too much, whereas the THfont Romantic Tp blends a little bit better.

Well, still the Alt Romantic Tp has some few advantages, like being panned in the center better than THfont Romantic Tp, and it's recorded at a standard sound level. The Alt Romantic Tp might work better with non-THfont soundpacks, whereas THfont Romantic Tp sounds better with the other THfont sounds.

OR, I might be doing something wrong with FL Limiter, since I've configured it to work properly with THfont. :P

Re: Another senseless post
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2011, 03:19:43 AM »
BTW, does FL studio not allow you to change the volume of each MIDI channel individually ? I've never used FL studio before, but it's supposed to be one of the basic functions of a MIDI sequencer.

Anunsew

Re: Another senseless post
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2011, 03:41:49 AM »
BTW, does FL studio not allow you to change the volume of each MIDI channel individually ? I've never used FL studio before, but it's supposed to be one of the basic functions of a MIDI sequencer.
It does, but I usually just assign the controllers to another controller in the Mixer, since it's easier to regulate that way, instead of hunting each channel controller individually (all those windows make me dizzy).

Also, I don't usually change the volumes of the Soundfont Channel directly when I use THfont, I use a Limiter in each Mixer Channel instead since it turns out better, and easier to automate when needed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:43:39 AM by Anunsew »

Anunsew

For All the Debts You Have Accumulated...Now Until the Moment You Die!
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2011, 12:55:04 AM »
Sariel's First Theme, yay!
For All the Debts you Have Accumulated~Now Until the Moment You Die!

Youtube
Looped Version

Maybe I tried too hard on making sound too ZUN-ish...meh, I bet ZUN can do it better anyway. Anyway, I developed a technique in mixing the percussions properly without drowning out the Strings and Pads while not being totally drowned by them trumpets.

Hrr...trumpets, oh how they make me shudder every time I want to use them. They are hard to mix, and even harder to compose for (and it also gives me a newfound respect for ZUN...which is pretty big already). In total honesty, my first plan for this theme was to use Flutes and Piano, but it ended up being too passive. Since this is supposed to be in conjunction with Civilization of Magic, it has to be a bit grand, but not overly so as to drown CoM in it's glory. Kind of like Bloom Nobly and Border of Life.

Then again, since I've heard some remixes of Now Until the Moment You Die and CoM, it's easier to make than starting from scratch. It still sounds a bit bland though, but I admit that I'm at a stump on how to make variations for this theme. Maybe I should have inserted a piano solo...

As to why I am making loop versions of this theme, someone requested to make remixes of HRtP themes because they were planning a remake of HRtP. Come to think of it, I've not heard from him for a while. -_-

EDIT:Uploaded to youtube!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:55:22 AM by Anunsew »

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
Holy shit that's awesome!

flamezero16

• Whats up amigo?
    • My Youtube
Sounds great Anney, definitely picks up after the intro.

Anunsew

Kindly Destruction ~ A Calm, Stealthy Berserker
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2011, 04:18:32 AM »
Kindly Destruction ~ A Calm, Stealthy Berserker

Requested by SwerveStarEx (from Youtube)

It's been awhile since I last did an OC theme, I thought I may have gotten rusty. But it would seem that mixing HRtP stuff was good practice after all. XD

Also, this one's a lot easier to mix (no trumpets!) but since it's an OC, it was a lot harder to compose. I experimented a lot with Square and Sawtooths, and finally found a way to make the Bright Acoustic Piano patch in ThFont useable.

Also, I've found out that it's better to apply Compression below the Limiter threshold, so when the signal amplitude ratio is dampened before it even hits the Limiter Ceiling. The result is a clearer and crisp sound, especially for the piano, since ThFont has it really...bad. Well not too bad, but very inconvenient to use.

I was experimenting with different melodic lines, and this one I got off Necrofantasia. Actually, I flipped the midi piano roll of Yukari's theme and gotten my inspiration there, but I guess that's just me being weird again.

I just wish that I could've around to using the flutes, I really want to make something like Yuugi's theme...maybe next time. :3
Anyway, this still needs a little more tuning to get it right (the reverse cymbals are too noisy, it just destroys the mix when they cut in)...this is going to take another day to finish. >.<

...I have a backlog of requests incoming...somebody please save me...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 02:02:51 AM by Anunsew (安宇NSEW) »