Author Topic: Touhou Challenge-A-Week Thread (lunatics only)  (Read 16520 times)

Knuckx117

• I go :V at silly pictures
Re: Touhou Challenge-A-Week Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 02:11:09 AM »
A lo-score challenge of any touhou game on any difficulty. Post what game and what difficulty, because that will obviously affect the score. xD

Cabble

• Ask me about my Cat.
  • Not unwilling to shank you.
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 03:18:05 AM »
A lo-score challenge of any touhou game on any difficulty. Post what game and what difficulty, because that will obviously affect the score. xD
We already have a challenge going on  >:(

and it's not a very good idea in the first place.
I had a teacher who used to play radiohead during class once.

ONCE.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 03:37:08 AM »
Given that we have a tournament too, try to keep these challenges small?

Anyway, gonna give this a shot at work @_@

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 04:26:27 AM »
Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but I've got a challenge:

Time out lunatic Sanae's third non-spell (even if you can't reach it on your own download a lunatic 1cc and the stages will be unlocked). Trust me, it's harder than you'd think.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 04:41:11 AM »
That was a lot tougher than I thought it would be.

5 deaths no bombs on Sanae's second boss nonspell and 1 death no bomb on the third one(it was game over then at 28 seconds left on it).

But I was using MarisaB to cheese through the stage, so I had a bigger hitbox to deal with. They both seem doable though, even for me.

Drake

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 05:03:43 AM »
captured on timeout, no death no bomb

my god sanae's easier on lunatic than on hard

EDIT: Also captured the second one, just to note. First had me die and bomb once because I'm a spaz.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:07:22 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nintendonut888

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 05:39:02 AM »
Not feeling this "Sanae's easier on lunatic" thing. I just tried her on hard for the first time in ages and perfected her (note I've only perfected her once on lunatic). Many of her attacks move so slowly you barely have to dodge anything. I hear her opener is supposed to be harder on hard due to the walls clustering, but I bypassed this problem simply by moving through the "walls." On lunatic they move too fast for this to be feasible, but it's quite easy on hard modo.

Okay, my next MoF stage 5 challenge is what I like to call "how to look like you're using tools": On lunatic, stream the opening fairies pacifist (as in moving in between the lanes, not macrododging the whole thing). It's very satisfying when you pull it off. :3
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 06:03:29 AM »
Okay, my next MoF stage 5 challenge is what I like to call "how to look like you're using tools": On lunatic, stream the opening fairies pacifist (as in moving in between the lanes, not macrododging the whole thing). It's very satisfying when you pull it off. :3

I tried it just now and got it on my first attempt.  But then I just had to try timing out her nonspells and failed pretty epically.  Also, apparently I haven't captured Moses Miracle yet.  0/10. :V

btw, if there's anyone who can time out Buddhist Diamond on Lunatic, I will worship you.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:15:44 AM by Azinth »

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »
Anyone got an IN score data with it unlocked? Mine is missing everything related to Lunatic FinalB.

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 08:12:54 PM »
Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but I've got a challenge:

Time out lunatic Sanae's third non-spell (even if you can't reach it on your own download a lunatic 1cc and the stages will be unlocked). Trust me, it's harder than you'd think.

Got it on my first attempt but it was still a fun challenge that got my pulse hammering. I guess i should thank you for it.

Btw. so far this thread have been very entertaining. That other challenge with the criss-crossing of hands also proved rather intense compared to a usual piss-easy normal run. No offence to those having trouble with IN Normal :P

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 09:23:25 PM »
If there's anyone who can time out Buddhist Diamond on Lunatic, I will worship you.
...How could I resist? 102 attempts. :V
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 09:28:07 PM »

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
Now do Youmu solo no focus.

You are terrible!

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
Re: Touhou Challenge-A-Week Thread (lunatics only)
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »
Topic title fixed for accuracy.

I came into this thread because I wanted to have fun doing a strange challenge, but having all challenges be on lunatic is not enjoyable (or even viable for many people). It's easy to think of crazy challenges on lunatic mode; now use your imaginations and go for hard or normal.

Drake

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »
1cc MoF on any difficulty with ReimuA, without bombing.

If your default shot hits an enemy, you lose. If you go through more than twenty seconds without shooting, you lose.

EDIT: The twenty seconds thing is just pillowing. Don't be an idiot, keep shooting unless you are definitely going to hit an enemy if you don't stop.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:19:01 PM by Drake »

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2009, 07:08:13 AM »
1cc MoF on any difficulty with ReimuA, without bombing.

If your default shot hits an enemy, you lose. If you go through more than twenty seconds without shooting, you lose.

How exactly is this possible, you do not start with 1 power. You want me to suicide, get some power, then try and kill everything with only homing shots and one less life?

ok

Drake

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
Yes.

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »
pfff I can do that with my eyes closed but I won't since it's so boring!

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »
Yeah, memorizing every enemy in every stage in MoF is a do not want, pick something less time consuming and more challenging.

nintendonut888

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2009, 07:55:50 PM »
Topic title fixed for accuracy.

I came into this thread because I wanted to have fun doing a strange challenge, but having all challenges be on lunatic is not enjoyable (or even viable for many people). It's easy to think of crazy challenges on lunatic mode; now use your imaginations and go for hard or normal.

My challenges were only on lunatic because they would be pointless below it. >_> Sanae's third spell card on lunatic turns into a rhythm-based affair rather than actual dodging and the super streaming is very easy below lunatic.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2009, 08:16:45 PM »
First try: ended on Rainbow Danmaku. On the waves that precede the actual card, to be exact. <.<

Playing with border team and still having a higher death count than bomb count...

I am definitely going to do this, but not tonight. My arms are hurting.
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
My challenges were only on lunatic because they would be pointless below it. >_> Sanae's third spell card on lunatic turns into a rhythm-based affair rather than actual dodging and the super streaming is very easy below lunatic.

Wait, you said Sanae's third non-spell. Timing out the third card... hmm... oh bother. Maybe.

EDIT: Went for a bunch of tries. 10 or so. Big time mess up. Holy hell its frustrating. Maybe its not so much the card itself but the fact that for every failed attempt awaits a soul-crushingly boring stage 5 run. I quit. That card just became Sanae's hardest for me. I thougt it was Moses' Miracle
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:45:29 PM by Zengeku »

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
Far too easy. Once you take the streaming "a step further", it becomes pretty stale. Any more waves and I wouldn't have been able to do it though.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2009, 07:59:42 PM »
Streaming? There must be something about this card that i don't understand! Are we talking about the same spell?

Preparation "Takeminakata Invocation"?

Anyone got a replay of that timeout then so i can see what you mean? I've always done it by plain dodging. That works when going for a capture but my timeout attempts have always been ended by a clusterfuck of blue walls and red bullets.

nintendonut888

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2009, 08:11:34 PM »
Derp. I DID mean Sanae's third non-spell. I find it hard because even though it's a simple rhythm, it goes on so long you tend to space out, but then you don't notice when Sanae trips you up with a longer wave. Takeminakata Invocation is pretty nasty too though.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »
ColonVee.

brb catching up on sleep / preparing to go home.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
Derp. I DID mean Sanae's third non-spell. I find it hard because even though it's a simple rhythm, it goes on so long you tend to space out, but then you don't notice when Sanae trips you up with a longer wave. Takeminakata Invocation is pretty nasty too though.

Okay. Then i did manage your challenge - as i posted earlier: It was enjoyable. Wonder if Baity is up for a timeout of Takeminakata. ::)

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2009, 11:11:11 PM »
Did this thread die already?

Lopsidation

• Exploring the Twin Labyrinths
  • Be light of heart;
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2009, 01:33:01 AM »
I have some fun little mini-challenges~

Hard w/ strategy: Flying Phoenix above the POC.
"Above the POC" is arbitrary, just be rather high on the screen. Be your own judge of how high is fair.
Timing out the whole thing is ridiculous, just convince yourself that it's possible. Surviving 3 or 4 waves is probably enough.

Normal: Start on the right side of the screen on Honest Man's Death, work your way to the left side. Capturing it isn't necessary, just get to the other side.

Easy/Normal: The first two waves of Imperishable Shooting, as high up the screen as you possible.
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."

Lybydose

• Isn't cool enough to have a title
  • ESC -> Retry
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2009, 01:37:40 AM »
I have some fun little mini-challenges~

Hard w/ strategy: Flying Phoenix above the POC.
"Above the POC" is arbitrary, just be rather high on the screen. Be your own judge of how high is fair.
Timing out the whole thing is ridiculous, just convince yourself that it's possible. Surviving 3 or 4 waves is probably enough.

Normal: Start on the right side of the screen on Honest Man's Death, work your way to the left side. Capturing it isn't necessary, just get to the other side.

Easy/Normal: The first two waves of Imperishable Shooting, as high up the screen as you possible.

Did that first one already.  Pretty sure I wasn't above the PoC the entire time, but it was still funny.  Also try Hollow Giant PoC.  It's fairly easy once you figure out the best way to misdirect the waves.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:41:58 AM by Lybydose »