Author Topic: Weekly Writing Challenge Thread the First  (Read 474294 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: Weekly Writing Challenge Thread!
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »
Here's my entry.

http://tengukami.blogspot.com/2010/04/what-gets-read.html

EDIT: In the interests of full disclosure, I should say that this story borrows a bit from Season 5 of The Wire.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:35:46 PM by Tengu-天照-kami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2010, 02:20:33 AM »
I've finally come up with an idea for this, so I guess I'd better take advantage of the deadline extension and start writing! The prompt is neat, hope to see lots of other people's entries.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2010, 02:26:35 AM »
Tengu - +1 Thumbsup

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »
They told me to write modern. I figured to myself 'what's more modern than the credit crunch?'

-----

High Street Bank In Government Bailout

In what some are calling an indicator of an upcoming financial storm, the high-street bank Eastern Rock has requested emergency funds from Gensokyo's government.

The bank, which has enjoyed considerable profits for the last few years, is now supposedly 'on the verge of total bankruptcy'. As rumours emerge of money shortages, Eastern Rock claims that a lack of participation from the markets has severely damaged its profit margin.

Assistant CEO of the bank, Yuugi Hoshiguma, claimed that the request was 'a last resort that we didn't wanna deal with until the last minute'. She and the bank's CEO, Suika Ibuki, have been seen frequently in local bars supposedly drinking away fears of their business going under, although some suggest that the pair are simply heavy drinkers.

There are fears that investors may remove their savings from Eastern Rock as these stories emerge, leading the bank into what is known in the business as 'panic-bombing'.

It is claimed by some that Eastern Rock's last deal with Eientei Enterprises may have led to their current scandal, but CEO Kaguya Houraisan was unavailable for comment. By the time the two were available to be questioned again, Ibuki and Hoshiguma were in no position to comment; the most legible (and printable) quote that an undetermined employee from another bank was 'somethin' else, man...I mean, her stocks not even drop.'

-Hatate Himekaidou

---

Hakurei Hobbles Into Merger With Moriya

Say your prayers, stock brokers - now you'll have one easy place to offer all your donations, whichever shrine you swear by.

An official merger between the Hakurei and Moriya shrines was finalised today, the latest turn of events in the global financial crisis. Both sides claimed that they saw the event as 'a necessary evil'.

Reimu Hakurei, the Hakurei Shrine's sole employee, was noticably irritated when I brought her in for an interview. When asked whether her company was the one to invoke the merger, she proceeded to threaten me with a variety of sharp objects in unpleasant areas. Many have attributed her poverty to a lack of investements (or donations) from locals.

Sanae Kotiya was advised by her gods not to comment on the matter, but reported 'a strange feeling of satisfaction'.

-Aya Shameimaru

---

The Mystery of Eientei Enterprises

Amidst the thoroughly collapsing financial system, only one of Gensokyo's lending companies appears to have stayed afloat.

Eientei Enterprises, led by wealthy entrepeneur Kaguya Houraisan, is the only bank to actually report a profit in the latest financial quarter. Its main rival, Fujiwara Funding, has recently gone out of business, its specialty in fire insurance no longer necessary after Eientei's heavy investments in smoke alarms and fire-proof housing. An infuriated Mokou Fujiwara later stated that 'she went out of her way to screw me over'.

When asked about the secret to her success, Houraisan was humble enough to thank her highest ranked employee, Tewi Inaba, for making it all possible. "I have a very talented financial advisor," Kaguya said in regards to her. "She has an amazing ability to makes profits where it doesn't seem possible. It's almost like she's pulling money out of thin air."

-Hatate Himekaidou

---

Hiroari Fires an Expensive Gardener ~ Till When?

The long-running line of gardeners at esteemed business Hakugyokurou has come to a sudden and tragic end.

Youmu Konpaku was fired from her post late last evening, and was found attempting to convince local performers the Prismriver sisters that they could use a new vocalist. As an unbiased spectator, this reporter will note that Miss Konpaku's voice leaves a lot to be desired.

Yuyuko Saigyouji, head of Hakugyokurou, said that she was thoroughly displeased with the need to fire Youmu, citing 'unsustainable living costs'. This seems suspicious given that Youmu herself claims to live on a staple diet of rice and water, and suggests that perhaps Saigyouji simply requires the money to maintain her own lavish lifestyle of feasting in the midst of the financial crisis that all of Gensokyo is ensnared by.

Rumours are also abound that Saigyouji was investing in Eientei Enterprises with Konpaku's salary, but those rumours are less interesting.

(Note that the opinions suggested in this article are wholly hypothetical, and are not indicative of the opinions of any journalists associated with the Bunbunmaru.)

-Aya Shameimaru

---

S.D.M. - Severely Damaged Management

The latest victim of the financial scare has emerged, our sources can reveal.

The Scarlet Devil Mansion has been taken into administration following several months of continual losses, and is supposedly on the verge of bankruptcy entirely. This is the most recent in a chain of companies to suffer in the wake of Eastern Rock's bailout.

Eirin Yagokoro, a high-ranking member of Eientei Enterprises, has been declared the new head of the SDM. Old CEO Remilia Scarlet has supposedly moved in with her sister in the basement beneath the mansion, but there are rumours that the family will lose even that in the upcoming months.

"It is a shame that the management has fallen into such disarray," commented Patchouli Knowledge, head librarian of the mansion. "It has not helped that the library's funds have fallen critically low thanks to these constant thefts. If anyone comes across a black-white witch carrying a heaving sack filled with books, we would appreciate her immediate apprehension. Of course, we are in no state to offer a monetary reward, but we would offer our utmost thanks."

Interestingly, sightings of the black-white have doubled in the last month, but there have been no reports of efforts to capture her besides one ice fairy found face down in a crater.

-Hatate Himekaidou

(P.S. All rumours of a merger with the Bunbunmaru are false. We will not be working together on any regard. No, not even on television.)

---

Okuu O-Can't As Chireiden Cuts Funding

The groundbreaking scientific research that Chireiden Corps has spent the last few months bragging about has ended not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Project Okuu has been cut short as Chireiden claimed a catastrophic lack of funding. The project could have potentially produced an infinite energy supply and monopolised the market. Various kappa investors are crying fowl at the birdbrained decisions of Chireiden's higher ups.

"The way they pitched it, it seemed like free money to me," said Nitori Kawashiro, a respected engineer who lost a good deal of money in the ensuing collapse. "Komeiji [referring to Satori Komeiji, head of Chireiden Corps] kept on yakking about how she knew exactly what she was doing, and then one deal apparently sends the whole thing tumbling into the old hells? Personally, I call [expletive deleted]."

Komeiji herself was unavailable for comment, though her sister Koishi (found strolling around the now-struggling HakuMoriya Shrine) offered a few cryptic comments as to the company's fate.

"That last girl she talked with, the one with the rabbit ears? Something was weird about her. She was pretty smart, to the point where even Sis thought she was being honest, but I never liked her. She promised Sis money to back the project, but it never showed up."

Project Okuu's main subject offered only a puzzled 'Unyu?' when questioned.

-Aya Shameimaru

(PS: Tune in at 6 o'clock tonight for my new prime-time show, Shameimaru At Six! Well, that's not really what it's called given that some other girl is co-hosting, but it's a cooler name than 'The Six O'Clock News with Aya and Hatate'.)

---

And our latest headline-

Hey, why do you always get to start?

It's part of the merger, Hatate. Deal with it.

...Fine. Go on.

Anyway. Breaking news tonight, following up on the catastrophic collapse of Eientei Enterprises, Gensokyo's last great business. Momiji, what've you got down there?

"Thanks, Aya. It's mayhem down here at Eientei Enterprises, people are holding their heads in their hands and crying, it's utter madness. This is the fastest plunge the stock market has ever seen, and Eientei's gone from being Gensokyo's biggest bank to being totally bankrupt in maybe a few hours. The entire financial sector has collapsed, and the economic balance could take years, even decades to recover. We could be reduced to a third-world country at this rate."

I see. Momiji, has there been any breakthrough in discovering the cause of the company's collapse?

"Well, I've managed to find one of the company's leading financial advisors, Reisen Udongein Inaba. Miss Inaba, if you wi-"

"Where's Tewi?! One minute I see her messing around with the funds transfers, next thing I know she's gone and we're penniless! Have you seen her?!"

"N-No, I haven't seen your boss, and from what I've heard around here neither has anyone else-"

"I knew we were a little crooked, but I thought that was just how business worked nowadays! Dammit dammit DAMMIT! FU-"

Sorry, we're going to have to cut the broadcast there. We're still pre-watershed.

What?! Hatate, that was just getting good! We need to show people the tragic realism of how the financial sector is dying-

I'm Hatate Himekaidou, and this has been The Six O'Clock News with Aya and Hatate. Goodnight.

Hey, don't cut the show off now! I'M STILL IMPORTANT, DAMMIT!

---

They had told her it was the Caribbean's best-kept secret when she'd bought it. So far, they had been right - but a little money on the side was enough to make sure that no-one who knew about it felt the urge to give her away.

The island had everything she could ask for - its own electricity, its own food supply (along with world-class chefs to cook for her), and of course spectacular blue seas all to herself. Today she had decided to embrace in the last of these, sporting a tiny two-piece swimsuit made out of the finest white silk money could buy. There was even a slit on the bottom so that her little bunny tail had somewhere to pop out. She sat on the edge of the diveboat, performing the last checks on her gear before going under.

"Yup, this is the life. I wouldn't mind living like this for the rest of my years."

Tewi strapped on a pair of light pink fins, designed to fit her feet perfectly. She smirked to herself as she clipped a belt around her waist, holding the matching pink tank on her back in place. Biting on the mouthpiece, she fell backwards into the water with a quiet splash.

The beautiful wildlife beneath the surface greeted her immediately, a school of fish swarming around the new visitor. Tewi's eyes examined the scenery beneath her - immaculate reefs of coral, fish of every colour and size, and not a drop of polluted water to be seen. It was something out of a postcard, something that most people assumed was only a fantasy.

Unless, of course, you had millions to blow at a moment's notice.

Tewi started kicking, sending herself deeper into the water. The fish continued to swim next to her, almost as if they had been told to. She stroked one, its scales running down her delicate fingers without resistance. She smiled behind the mouthpiece, gurgling cheerfully.

After a minute's descent, Tewi hit bottom. The sand beneath her was moist, but as she lay on her stomach it supported her weight. The water flowed freely around her, allowing her muscles to relax. If she wanted to, she could easily take a nap down here for a little while. She grinned at the thought of it - how many people could afford the chance to take a snooze at the bottom of the sea?

True, she hadn't exactly got here by being honest with people. And yes, maybe some of the money she'd made was slightly dirty or really belonged to someone else. But really, was any of that her problem? With the off-shore accounts she'd prepared and this new hidden island, no-one would ever find her. Three years of trading had brought her to the top of the financial world, and now she was reaping the benefits.

Kaguya had no idea what she was doing when she'd started the business, so it was far too easy to effectively take control of the company. From there it was a simple matter of promising people what she didn't have, while doing what was needed to stop it being traced to her. She'd had centuries to teach herself how to lie, and it had finally paid off in the most magnificent way she could imagine. She was richer than anyone had ever been, than anyone could ever imagine being.

And it was fantastic.

"Usausaglb~"

Tewi gurgled to herself with glee as she let the water wash away all the stress that she'd built up making it where she was. Down here, there was no point in worrying about the world above her and all the businesses she'd taken apart.

After all, she wasn't in finance anymore. She'd retired a whole week ago, so what did it matter to her?

---

Lesson of the week: The economy is a word filter.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:27:34 PM by Roukanken »

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2010, 11:30:42 PM »
That was awesome. The only disappointment is no bailouts being given for the reason of "Too big to fail", but  it's still great.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »
'her stocks not even drop'

Oh my god. I love you.

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »
This is what happens when I rushwrite...

-----

It was 2:45 in the afternoon, one of the more noisy and cacophonous times of the day at the school. Well...that and morning, which is just about the same as this time only in reverse. The uproar of teenage voices clamouring amongst one another as they all head out through the old auditorium that's seen many youths like it before. Hearing their excited talk of the weekend echo across the spacious room is all the same to this gymnasium of the school that integrates both youkai and humans. Yuugi sits at her 'desk', or rather table riddled with various carvings, located at the door of the girl's changing room, watching as the crowds of students happily march out of the doors her ears drowned in the dissonance of their voices. It's been a good while since Yuugi took up a job as a Physical Education Instructor (which is just a fancy way of saying Gym Teacher) at Youkai Central High School. It seemed like a good idea to take the job being she saw no other job that suited her at the time, it payed litt;e but just enough for her to make ends meet so there's really no room to complain. Even so, it wasn't like she disliked it either. Dealing with teenagers does make this tedious at best, especially whe a good majority of her classes tend to be humans who aren't exactly known to be as physically adept as youkai let alone Oni. But...there was still some good in her job, perhaps it's the fact that she's made some nice friends here at this school or maybe it's because she's regarded by the kids as the 'Cool Gym Teacher' who lets them chill in gym class more than their supposed to be doing sports stuff. Who knows...?

Eventually, the last of the children are gone from the gym, their abscense spawning a silence that every teacher is familiar with...the still quiet of after school. Yuugi let out a quick sigh and looked to the papers that lay on her desk, a mixture of that last quiz from her health class and other school related papers that...weren't exactly filled out yet...

"You should probably get to work on those." Came a voice that slowly revealed itself to be a janitor that was sweeping up the dust along the floors of the gym. This man was no stranger to the oni, he was one of her first friends here at the school; Jim was his name. A simple one at best, but he was a simple man. One that Yuugi came to like hanging out with between classes and after school.

"Yeah, I should, but they're not really due til next month though." Yuugi remarked with a relaxed smile as she leaned back in the wooden chair she sat in, gazing up at the complx workings of ventilation ducts located above her. "These quizzes though...man, I didn't think they'd do this BAD on'em..." The oni gestured the janitor to her desk and showed him one of the papers she had been grading. Apparently the student had gotten only 5 out of 20 right...and this wasn't counting those that were left blank.

"Do they even study for them...?" Jim asked, Yuugi shrugging lightly in response letting him know that it was probably a big fat no. The students at this age are more or less too focused on partying and hormones to be concearned with grades, so it's not really that big of a surprise...but failing grades in Health? For some reason, that sounds rather...pitiful.

"Well...I can finish the rest later, for now..." Yuugi rose up from her "desk" and stretched. "I'm gonna kick back and enjoy the start of the weekend~"

"Still quick to put off, aren't we?" Jim merely chuckled as he leaned against his broom and gave Yuugi a smirk. This wasn't the first time she kicked her work to the curb in order to get in a little free time with her old friend, Sake.

"Heh, look who's talkin' Mr.I haven't unclogged the toilets in the boy's bathroom yet." Apparently Jim is no different...to be fair, no one likes to deal with bathroom plumbing.

"Hey now, I'm...sorta working on that..."

'Sorta' doesn't really cut it...

---------

Having already established that they both were equally guilty of procrastination, Yuugi and Jim retreated to the one spot they always hung out at after a long day at the school; an old, broken down, volkswagon that used to belong to the principle of years past. Jim claimed that the principle was a close friend of his and said he could have the volkswagon, but...Yuugi wasn't really one to believe that. The path to this hang out of theirs took them through the woods that was located just behind the school, making it the perfect spot to sit back, put back a couple of cold ones, and chill before heading home for the day. Even so, despite the secluded location of their 'hang out', this didn't stop rumors from spreading among the faculty and staff of the school. Apparently everyone thought that Yuugi and Jim were doing MORE than just sitting down there and talking with each other. Some giggled at this little notion, others looked at it with disgust or disdain, but it didn't really matter to the two of them. After all, people were going to gossip about anything either way.

It's just how they are...

Yuugi paused from walking, Jim looking back to see the oni in a still position as if she were thinking on something. "You okay?"

"Shh." Yuugi hushed the janitor as she  walked to his side for a moment. "Listen..." Jim raised an eyebrow, but did as the oni said none the less. As the both of them stood in silence, there was a faint chattering in the distance, the words could not be readily made out, but it was no doubt that someone was already making themselves comfortable at the old hang out up ahead. Jim glanced to Yuugi for a moment, who only narrowed her eyes a bit.

"No one else knows about that place but us, so..."

"All the more reason to check it out." Yuugi suggested walking ahead of the janitor who sighed and followed after her. He was really hoping they would be alone today...

---------

"You know, I ought to light this shit on fire. You got some fucking nerve trying to 'scare' us with that sorry ass act of yours, Kogasa." The bully said as he glanced to the purple parasol object he had taken from Kogasa. Unlike most students, Kogasa lacked popularity among the others in the school to stand out much, but still had that imfamous quirk about her that had the others look down on her. Apparently, the karakasa has a penchent for trying to 'scare' or 'surprise' other students at school (regardless of if it' during school or after school) this need to spook others...doesn't really fly all that well with most of the students. This situation was the first that has actually resulted in the 'victims' lashing out at her, said 'victims' were, a slim weasel youkai and a burly boar youkai. "You think that since you're some kinda ghost you can go around the school tryin' to scare folks? Grow the fuck up, we're past those times now, retard!" The weseal holding Kogasa close to his face, his hand wrapped tightly around her collar.

"I'm sorry...just please...don't hurt it..." Kogasa pleaded her hand reaching for the purple umbrella. "...That umbrella is all I have...if it's gone...I don't know what I would do..."

The weseal raised an eyebrow, casting a curious glance to the umbrella in question, before a coniving smirk snaked across his face. "That a fact? Well tell ya what, I'll give it back to you if you do a lil' something for me in return..." His hand hovered at the fly of his jeans, and it didn't take much for his victim to know where this was going. Kogasa looked away in silence and attempted to cross her legs over one another knowing that he was aiming for the area between them.

"Hey hey, what about me?" The boar chided, nudging the weasel in the arm, apparently wanting a little piece of karakasa tail. "She tried to scare me too, y'know."

"No one said we couldn't do'er at the same time, smartass." The weseal replied in annoyance, before he looked to Kogasa once more that same smirk returning to his features. "Anyways, what do you say Kogasa? You give a'lil, ya get a'lil...cut and dry concept if I say so myself."

Kogasa said nothing in return to his words, her face flushed with a deep red. Maybe...if she didn't say anything  to him, they wouldn't consider the unthinkable. Unfortunately, Kogasa's silence wasn't going to reward her with a 'get out of a rape' free card so easily...

"Not gonna answer? Fine, silence gives consent, they say."

Kogasa's eyes widened with dread as she turned and tried to escape, only to have her way blocked by the surprisingly fast boar youkai. The burly student's hands clasped tightly around each of her arms, before he shoved her in front of the chuckling weasel who pinned her to the ground and slowly lifted her skirt. "N-No! S-Stop it!" Kogasa protested loudly, tears falling from her terror filled eyes. But, despite her pleas, he didn't stop, his hand gripped her scalp.

"Shut that fuss up!" The weasel demanded. 

"Alright you two, break it up!" Yuugi shouted, burtsting from the underbrush as she glared sharply at the two delinquints who looked to her as if they had been caught in the headlights of an oncoming SUV. "Get off the girl and leave. Now."

"Sh-shit, it's Miss Hoshiguma, th-the Oni Teacher!" The boar youkai stuttered, a bit of a paniced 'oink' escaping his lips as he gazed at the oni who was certainly not pleased with what she saw. "Dude, what're we gonna do. M-My mom's gonna kill me if I get into anymo' trouble!" Apparently he was more concearned about the consequences than his skinnier friend. Although, with that in mind, one would wonder why he was even here in the first place...

"Relax, fat-ass, I got this." The skinnier student said to his larger comrade as he turned to Yuugi with a smug grin on his face. He has alot of confidence in his ability to get over on others, teachers included. After all, there's a good reason he's a weasel youkai and he was going to show Yuugi. "It's after hours, you're not the boss of us anymore." The weasel said as he brazenly walked toward Yuugi, who was much taller than him, somethng he didn't readily realize when he was atop Kogasa a little ways back. "You know who I am right? I'm the son of a famous man...you know the hardcore badass you see on TV?"

Yuugi slowly lowered her self down to the weasel's eye level, her gaze burning through him like a hot knife through butter. "It maybe after hours but you're still on school property, jackass." Yuugi snarled to the student with her eyes narrowed and her orange eyes piercing through his own. Yuugi wasn't scared of him or his father, and she was going to show him that. "Besides, from what I hear, your dad ain't nothin' but a murderer that got put away just last week."

"Simmer down, Yuugi..." Jim called out to the oni, walking onto the scene already knowing what was going on from the looks of it. This sort of scenerio really pained him, seeing the kids who came to this school be sucked into the dark vortex of crime that was slowly engulfing the city now. But...this was the bad part of the city, crime was the cancer that was killing the community (literally in some cases), and so long as the other part of the city didn't give a damn about them and didn;t try to help...it would remain like this. "I dunno what you two were plannin on doin to that girl, but you best do as Miss Hoshiguma says and leave. You've already been caught, so there ain't no use in tryin' to reason."

The lanky delinquient, looked to the janitor and back to Yuugi who didnt take her eyes off him for a single moment. This was it. Game Over. The weasel sneered in defeat and motioned to his friend to let Kogasa go. As soon as the karakasa was free to move she made a beeline to the blonde oni, who brought herself back up and jabbed her finger to the path that led back toward the school. No other words were exchanged and the students slowly took their leave not taking a single glance at the two who caught them in the act.

"H-Hey uhm..." The boar began as he paused in front of the path and looked to Yuugi with a question to pose. "You're not gonna tell--?"

"Don't even say it, because you know we are." Yuugi cut the student off, causing him to flinch slightly at the sound of her stern voice. "What you guys were committing was attempted rape. It's a serious crime."

"R-right..." The boar stammered weakly as he disappeared into the underbrush leaving them in silence.

Yuugi let out a sigh, as he palm met the side of her head and began to lightly ruffle her hair. "Keep forgeting that there are kids like them..." She uttered before she looked down to see Kogasa still clutching the leg of her red sweat pants and trembling like a leaf in a cold rain. Well, she did come dangerously close to being raped...so it's not strange for her to be frightened. "You gonna be okay?" Yuugi asked to Kogasa as she kneeled down to meet her eyes, seeing the girls heterochromia.

"Yes...I'm fine..." Kogasa answered with a weak nod of her head.  "Thank you, Miss Hoshiguma..."

"Heh, you can call me Yuugi if you wanna. All the other kids like callin' me that anyway."

As Yuugi tended to Kogasa, Jim looked back up the path and saw that the student were gone and then looked back to the volkswagon. It was then the janitor was reminded of the one thing that's been bugging him ever since they found the students down here. "Sorry if this is too soon but, what were you all doin down' here?" Jim asked the karakasa as he handed her the purple umbrella thinking it belonged to her, the relieved expression on her face and how quickly she took it from him proving his assumption to be true. Jim wanted to say that the three of them were plannig on doing something wrong, but Kogasa seemed like she wouldn't go through with anything like that...perhaps that's why the two youkai were bullying her?

"I...don't know what those youkai were doing down here, I just followed them here when I tried to surprise them." Kogasa replied, as she held her umbrella close to her breast, her hands tightening around it as her eyes began to moisten. "But...when I did surprise them...they got angry and started hitting me...and..." She gripped her umbrella even tighter,  the pain of the bruises on her arms came crawling back to her and the moisture in her eyes now giving way to full on tears. Kogasa was trying to hold back these tears...but it seemed she was failing to do so...

"Hey now...don't cry, they're gone now, so they won't hit you anymore." Yuugi said to the beaten girl in a soft tone. "But you gotta stop with this 'surprising' thing you've been doin', I've heard from alot of other teachers and students that you make a habit out of it...and alot of folks don't like you because of it."

"I know, but-!" The karakasa spoke up, in the loudest tone both Jim and Yuugi had ever heard her use up til this point. "Isn't it a youkai's job to make sure people are afraid of them?" There was a long pause, a wandering blow of the wind rustling the leaves on the trees surrounding the three as no one responded to the karakasa's words...

Eventually, Yuugi sighed a bit as she looked elsewhere, her hand placed on the back of her neck as she rubbed it lightly. "...Youkai aren't doing that anymore..." Indeed they weren't. After the move to the outside world, the youkai from Gensokyo had to give up alot of their old habits in order to fully integrate with human society. This included their normal tendancy of scaring or eating people. Yuugi remembered that a 9th grader by the name of Rumia who had a particularly difficult time with this...

Another wave of silence washed over the three of them thereafter. Jim didn't really know much about youkai, but from what Yuugi told him, he knew that it was hard for them to give up their ways of life just to be accepted by humans like him. "Anyway, where do you live, me and Yuugi will give ya a ride home." Jim spoke up as a means to break the silence Yuugi had left behind her words. The oni gave him a perplexed look to which he only smiled in response to. "Oh come on, we were headin' out to that Steakhouse today anyway, why not drop the kid off on the way there?"

"Okay okay, but just because we're doin' this doesn't get you outta buyin' tonight." Yuugi told the janitor with a smirk before she turned her attention back to Kogasa. "Alright, Kogasa, where do you live? Me and Mr.Jim will take you there on our way to the steakhouse."

Kogasa blinked for several minutes before she hung her head low and muttered "...I don't live anywhere..."

"Eh? Come again?"

Kogasa bit her lip, her mouth not wanting to repeat those words...but she did so anyway. Somewhere in her mind...she knew she had to let someone know sooner or later. "I don't live anywhere...I don't have a home..."

Yuugi and Jim found no words on what to say next, the both of them looking to each other as a means to see if either of them knew what to say to the, apprently homeless, girl. Soon enough, Yuugi decided it be best if she spoke up, seeing that Jim only shrugged to her when she glanced back to him again. "You're homeless...?" Yuugi asked, the karakasa nodding silently to let her know that it's indeed the truth. "Why...didn't you say anything to anybody? As much as you kids might not like us teachers, we're here to help you guys."

"I...I was doing okay on my own, honest!" Kogasa spoke up knowing exactly the reason why she was on her own on the streets. "I've...never had anyone anyway, so..."

"That's still no excuse to be livin' like that." Yuugi told the karakasa, knowing what her words would be. Being alone, doesn't always mean one has to be without a roof over their head...and Yuugi knew this. "Oi Jim, what's the name of that orphanage that just opened up, you know, the one a few blocks down from the C-Mart?"

"You mean the Hijiri Shelter?" Jim answered with a quirked eyebrow.

"Yeah that's the one," Yuugi nodded rising up from her kneeling position to approach the janitor. "We're gonna drop'er off there and make sure she gets settled in."

"Ah, but that's clear across town..."

"So?"

"Erm...nevermind..." Jim replied, knowing Yuugi wouldn't be readily convinced of changing her mind now. That and he knew she'd be pretty crossed with him if he said this little trip to the shelter would cut in with their time at the steakhouse. If it's anything Jim knows that it's not to anger an oni woman. "C'mon, we'll take my jeep up there, I think I have enough gas to get there."

Yuugi stared at Jim for a moment, having completely forgotten about the gas factor in the plan. Even so, it still couldn't hurt to ask on how much gas he actually had as she knew it wasn't exactly cheap these days. "Oh...how much gas do you have?" Yuugi inquired. "We can take my truck if you ain't got enough...then again...I don't think I have much either..."

"Nah, that's alright, I had enough to get to the steakhouse and back home. I have about enough money to get the girl to the shelter and get more gas for us to make it home." Jim answered bluntly before he chuckled through his nose a bit to himself. "Looks like Friday Night Steaks is cancelled, huh?"

"Yeah, looks like it." Yuugi laughed a bit, apart of her already feeling bad for the fact of not getting taste those succulent slabs of meat tonight...

---------

After letting Kogasa get herself cleaned up, and let the school nurse bandage her cuts, the three of them piled into Jim's jeep, the vehicle itself looking to be just as old as he is, with various scrapes along it's exterior and complete a thick lining of dried mud along the bottom. "Is my stuff in your way, Kogasa?" Jim asked to the silent karakasa.

"No, I'm okay." Kogasa answered, looking down at a bucket that was sitting at her feet. Nothing was inside it, but boy was it grimy...

"I thought you were gonna clean this thing." Yuugi said to Jim, taking her eyes off the cityscape that stretched beyond the bridge they drove along.

"Yeah I was, but I didn't have time." Jim replied as he adjusted his rear view mirror which was tilting to one side with each bump the jeep went over. "I had alot of stuff to do at the school this week...still need to do those toilets..." Jim glanced back in his rear view mirror and saw Kogasa . The janitor nudged Yuugi in passing as he reached for the stick shift.

"What?" Yuugi said as she saw Jim manuver his head back to Kogasa, directing Yuugi to look back and gaze at the karakasa who watched the buildings go by in total silence. "What am I suppose to say to'er?"

"Well...maybe ask why she's on the streets, I dunno..." Jim said as he stopped at an intersection and gestured another car to go ahead of him. "I'm not as good with kids are you are."

That was...partially true, the students at school didn't mind Jim much and some students even claimed him to be their 'home boy'...whatever that meant. Jim probably thought he wasn't good with kids because he rarely dealt with them as much as Yuugi did on a daily basis. Even so, there could still be some use for conversation between the three of them, and since Yuugi was apparently the one chosen to do so, she decided to give it a shot. "Yo Kogasa." The oni asked, Jim turning down his radio a bit to listen to what they both had to say to each other. "I've been wonderin', you have any idea why you're out on your own?"

"Uhm...it's because I've always been on my own." Kogasa answered in a bashful tone. "Before I didn't have as much trouble with living on my own as I do here..."

"I would bet...especially since this is the bad part of town." Jim commented. "So why not go to that new orphanage?"

"I didn't know there was one...at least not until you guys said something about it." Kogasa answered before she fell into silence and returned her gaze to the window of the jeep, watching as everything in the city swiftly passed her by. "Besides...I know all the other kids there wouldn't like me anyway...no one does..."

There it goes again.

"Now why do you say that?" Yuugi asked, finding no reason why someone would automatically dislike the girl. Well besides...

"You said so yourself, Yuugi." Kogasa replied almost immedieatly after. "It's because of my 'habit' that no one likes me..."

"Well, er, yes...that can be a reason..." It was. "But, that doesn't mean other folks would dislike you on a dime. I mean, look at me and Jim, do we dislike you?"

"No...I don't think so." Kogasa answered, her voice oozing of uncertainty. There was a pause for a moment, the sound of the faint murmur of the radio host talking of someone who one tickets to some concert filling the silence inside the jeep. "...You do like me right?"

"Sure I like ya, you're a good girl, Kogasa." Yuugi remarked with a hearty smile, before she nudged Jim in the arm. The janitor was apparently not expecting to answer along with Yuugi...

"Oh yeah, you're good people, Kogasa." Jim spoke up, to which Kogasa frowned a little in response.

"You only said that cuz Yuugi jabbed at you."

"Naw, I really mean it." Jim said with a shake of his head, glancing to Kogasa in his rear view mirror ro gauge her change in expression. "I was taught to always hold folks in respect regardless of who they were or where they came from. That goes the same for youkai, I'm a human you see so you'd expect me to dislike'em, but I don't."

"You don't?" Kogasa said quizzically before she looked to the janitor and the gym teacher. "So is that why you and Miss Yuugi are..."

Jim looked back into the rear view mirror with raised eyebrow, seeing Kogasa blush for a minute. "That's why we're...what?"

"N-Nothing."

Jim looked toward Yuugi to see if she had any idea what she meant, but the oni merely shrugged and layed her head back and sighed as she glanced out the open window. "You don't mind if I take a nap do you?"

"Go ahead, it's gonna be awhile 'fore we get to the shelter..."

---------

Just as Jim said, the trip to the the shelter that would house Kogasa took nearly the entire day to reach. The sun having nearly set and the nocturnal blanket of the night sky mixing with the sunset's hue above the city to . The street lights were already beginning to come on now and there were less people out...or rather those who were going out for a night on the town were just coming out to begin their friday night partying. Had Jim and Yuugi not found Kogasa (god forbid) they would have already been at the steakhouse by now...but they had already passed that several miles back. Jim didn't realize how much Yuugi really wanted to go there until he noticed her paste her line of vision on the steakhouse until it was gone from sight...

As of now, Jim had stopped by the very C-Mart that was close to the shelter to get more gas. Apparently, he had a little less than what he thought, which meant that if they did go through with their plans...then they might not have actually been able to reach home.

"Alright, let's get going," Yuugi said as she held up the six pack she just bought after she had paid for the gas only to halt dead in her tracks, a look of shock washing over her face. Jim looked up from from getting in the Jeep and seeing the oni's surprised look, having only seen it once or twice in the entire time they've known each other.

"What's the matter?" Jim asked before he followed her gaze and looked behind him to see the same weasel youkai from earlier staring them down in a black hoodie a gun clutched in his hands and pointed straight the three of them. "You..."

"That's right me..." The weasel hissed maliciously as he stepped toward them, Jim and Yuugi stepping back in reverse. "Not so big shot now, huh? Naw, now that I'm packin' heat I'M the one callin' the shots. Pun not intended."

"Just...put the gun down and think about what you're doing..." Yuugi said her hands raised to her chest as she motioned for him to put down his weapon, a part of her knowing that he wouldn't simply give up just from a few words...

"No." The weasel declined with a shake of his head, still holding the gun toward the two of them. "I ain't goin out like my dad...Not yet."

"What's...going on...?" Kogasa droned as she rose up from her sleep in the back seat of the Jeep. The karakasa looked to Yuugi and Jim, perplexed by their expressions and looked back to see the one person she certainly didn't expect to find out here. The weasel looked down and smirked as he laid his eyes on Kogasa's.

"Hey there, 'member me?"

"What're you after?" Jim questioned to the youkai. Prodding him for any possible motives he might have with this. "Pretty sure you didn't come all the way out here to shoot Kogasa?"

"Don't you get it, pops? I'm out here to kill you two!" The weasel said as he watched as Jim and Yuugi's eyes went wide. "I knew you two would snitch on me once you got back at school tomorrow so I waited for you all to leave that lot down there, it was by that time I found out you were going to that shelter and...here I am. After bumming off my friend's sister..." The weasel chuckled as he saw their expressions, drinking them in like the sweet nectar they were to him. "Surprised, aren't you?"

"Not entirely, no..." Yuugi said with a frown, placing her six pack on the hood of the jeep. "It's like the saying goes; the apple never falls far from the tree..."

"What was that?" The black wearing punk asked as he aimed the gun to Yuugi, an obvious threat that he was going to shoot if she did something else that rubbed him the wrong way.

"Hey! Hold on-!"

"Quiet pops! I wanna hear what Big Tittied Gym Teahcer Yuugi had to say." The weasel chuckled as he took the safety off his gun, letting those around him know that he was now armed and dangerous. "Go ahead. You think you got the balls to say that again?"

"You think you got the balls to pull the trigger?" Yuugi said as she stood before the armed teenager, not faultering despite staring straight at a loaded gun. "Go ahead and shoot me...then watch as your entire life goes down the crapper."

"Bitch, you think bein' brave's gonna make me back down now?" The punk said with a rising voice. "I'm going to wreck your shit, do you know that!?"

"I'm not scared of you, nor am I scared of anyone like you." Yuugi told the weasel her expression hardening to the same one she stared at him with earlier this same day. There was some truth in her words, she wasn't afraid of the one holding the gun, but a small area of her mind was absolutely terrified of what would most likely happen to her if everything went wrong.

"Yuugi...don't..." Jim said not liking the odds of this situation one bit.

"No, he thinks he's a big man, then let's see how big a man he is." Yuugi remarked, holding her arms out, letting the gun totting delinquent gaze at the solid white T-shirt under neath her unzipped sweat jacket.

"Miss Yuugi stop!" Kogasa hollared from the back seat. "I don't want you to get hurt!"

"Y-Yeah, you better listen to her." The weasel said, his arm beginning to tremble as his mind began to slowly realize that Yuugi...wasn't going to back down. "I didn't want to do this, but you pushed me this far."

"That's complete BS." Yuugi spat. "You were about to rape that poor girl right there! You expect me to believe that something 'pushed' you to do that!?"

"Sh-She had it comin!" The teenager stammered. "She's been doin' nothin but annoying everyone ever since she got into the damn school, so me and my buddy thought we'd teach her a lesson to get her to stop!"

Just as those words were spoken, the loud wail of police cars began to close in on the gas station, the weasel jerked his head back and laid his eyes on a collection of red and blue lights that were slowly coming in on his location. "Shit! Five-0!" His gaze then turned to Yuugi, Jim and Kogasa, his eyes narrowing in spite as he assumed one of them had called the law on him. "You bastards called the Law on me di'nt you!"

"What? No, we didn't do anything, we were standing in front of you the entire time."

"I'm no goin out like my dad...I ain't goin to jail..." The weasel said, his breath quickening with each second that ticked by, the gun he held to Yuugi now lowered as the fear in his heart and mind took full control of his body.

"You messed up the moment you picked up that gun..." Yuugi told the teenager "It didn't have to be this way you know...all you youngins' throwin your lives away like this..."

The youkai gazed at the gun in his hand, the sick feeling of dread welling up inside him as the sound of the police cars drew dangerously close to the gas station. Once again...he had been caught...just like before. And unlike last time...there was no way back home from here. "You're right...it didn't have to be this way..." He muttered to them his eyes still glued to his gun, before he slowly brought it to the side of his head. "And it won't be either."

"No WAIT--!!"

BLAM!

---------

By the time the police had arrived on the scene all was calm...

The threat that had been reported by the clerk inside the store had been averted...if only due to it's own suicide. The police themselves were not entirely surprised with the sight of a dead teenager. After all, in this part of the city, a young person ending up dead on the street is just as common as any old criminal. A grim comparison at best...but that's the city for you...

In anycase, Yuugi, Jim and Kogasa left the gas station once the police had already gotten through with them, not a one of them said a word the entire way to the shelter...

Eventually though, they managed to reach the destination that took them the entire day to arrive to; Hijiri Shelter. It was about quarter to 8 when they arrived here and the city was in full on night mode, the drunks, whores, drug addicts and night owls coming out of their dens as they lay ready to go about their 'business' as usual. Jim agreed to stay behind with the Jeep to make sure it didn't get hotwired and stolen, so that left Yuugi to take care of Kogasa for the moment.

"Yo, anyone here?" Yuugi called out as she ushered the shy karakasa into the main lobby of the newly built shelter.

"Oh, one moment." Came a hurried voice from the left hallway before it gave way to a woman dressed in a blue hoodie and white capris, a pink cloud shaped like an old man following close behind her. Yuugi could only assume that she was a part timer here at the orphanage. "Hi, I'm Miss Ichirin Kumoi, Miss Hijiri's terribly busy at the moment so..."

"Ah that's okay, I was just here to drop off this girl here." Yuugi motioned toward Kogasa who said nothing.

"Is she an orphan?" Ichirin asked to the oni who looked to Kogasa and shrugged lightly.

"I...would guess so, she's been livin on the streets anyway, so me and a friend of mine thought we'd drop her off here so you guys would take'er in."

"Oh, well in that case, we'll be glad to have her here under our roof~" Ichirin replied with a warm smile, holding her hand out toward Kogasa who stepped forward and hesitated for a moment.

"Go on, don't be shy." Yuugi chuckled as she nudged Kogasa towards Ichirin. "You'll be safe here."

"But..." Kogasa began as she looked Yuugi straight in the eye. "I want to live with you and Mr. Jim..."

"W-wait, what?" What, indeed...

"I...guess it was because you both saved me back at school...no one's ever done anything nice to me before..." Kogasa said, shifting her weight a bit as she gazed at the floor. "Besides...I...always wanted a mom and a dad..."

"But me and Jim aren't..." Yuugi choked, a blush racing across her cheeks as she scratched behind her head.

"Oh...you're not...you know...?"

"No, we're...just friends." Yuugi answered with a chuckle before her laughter fell short for once and her eyes hovered toward the window, seeing Jim sitting in his Jeep, slowly nodding his head to the radio that was supposedly playing. "But..."

"You like him though, don't you?" Kogasa asked to the oni. "And I mean like like."

Yuugi paused, hesitant to answer. It was true that she and Jim did like each other in a friendly manner, but...maybe there was something more...

"Uhm...I'm sorry if I sound impatient but..." Ichirin spoke up, evoking Yuugi to look to her. "Is Miss Kogasa coming with us or are you adopting her?" Yuugi opened her mouth, but found no words to speak at the present moment. Alot was going on in her head at once, whether she loved Jim and if she wanted to adopt Kogasa as her daughter. As simple of an answer they required...it was still quite difficult to decide on which one to choose from...

--------

"And that was "Highway Blues" from Marc Seales and Ernie Watts on saxophone. Up next we have more relaxing Jazz for to indulge in, so sit tight and chill."

Jim layed back in the seat of his jeep and stared at the starless sky above, the light pollution from below, killing the twinkle of the celestial bodies up above. Just as his mind began to wonder what Yuugi and Kogasa were doing in there, he heard a familiar voice call out to him...

"Hi Dad!"

Before Jim's brain could process even he heard Kogasa call him dad, he felt her arms wrap around his neck and looked up to see Yuugi standing on the sidewalk, smiling to him with a light blush tinging her cheeks. "Yuugi, do you...mind tellin' me why Kogasa's callin me dad?"

"Well...I decided to adopt her, Jim..." Yuugi answered, walking closer to the jeep and sitting on the hood. "She...really took a shine to us today..."

Jim blinked and glanced to Kogasa who smiled, the first time they've ever seen her in fact, and then looked back toward Yuugi. "And...the whole dad thing?"

Yuugi chuckled. "If I'm her mom, then what does that make you?"

Jim's eyes bulged for a moment, his mind soaking in what Yuugi just off handedly said to him. "You know, it's funny..." Jim chuckled, Kogasa's arms still around his neck as he gave her hair a soft ruffle. "I was going to confess to YOU tonight after Steaks...I guess that was a little too long of a wait, huh?"

"I guess..." Yuugi said gazing at the night sky above. "But...you know how the saying goes; better late than never."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:33:57 PM by Amorph Erebus »
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
When you rushwrite good things happen, that was an awesome read.

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
(Here ya go! :o )

Welcome to Gensokyo. The year is 2101 2010. The sex goddess lovely Hijiri Byakuren, opened a nice, low-price soup kitchen for whatever reason. Madam Yuyuko of the noble Saigyouji family intended to eat the hell out of it dine at this fine establishment. With her is her faithful and noble bodyguard and gardener, Youmu of the buncha freakin' deadbeats known as the Konpaku clan.

Shunning the cramped confines of their luxury limo, Yuyuko decides to walk the rest of the way, stepping out into the streets of the sprawling hustle and bustle of the grand modern city, Reimuopolis. The elegant lady of the pink hair stretches herself out, inhaling a high amount of air- and possibly life itself.

"Ahh, come out here and smell this wonderful air, Youmu!"

The green clad, sword wielding servant followed the words of her mistress, getting a grand wiff of that fresh city air~

"BLEH!"

And now she was kneeling on the ground hacking up her very soul.

"L-lady Yuyuko, *cough, cough* this air is terri- *wheeze* terrible! Perhaps we should've *cough* stayed in the ca- *WHARGARBLE*"

"Non-sense. The industrial air is good for you! It'll make you a fine man!"

"Lady Yuyuko, why do insist I'm a ma- *cough, hack, wheeze*."

Ignoring her servant's complaints, Yuyuko elegantly marched forward.

"Ah, what a wonderful city! A sprawling metropolis."

"The place is a ghost town, m'lady."

"The people are friendl-"

"Thiiiiiief! Thiiiiiiief!"

And wouldn't you know it, short, bunnygirls in pink dresses, masks and large sunglasses ran out from an alleyway carrying the purse of famous jazz singer, Mystia Lorelei. Youmu grabs the hilts of her swords as the swindling rodents rush toward her mistress.

"Stay back, m'lady! I will handle this!"

"Oh, there's no need~" replied Yuyuko with a yawn.

"Wait, what?"

Just then, Rumia burst out of a window, wielding a P90 and a grenade launcher, slaughtering the inabas one by one in a glorious bloodbath.

"Wow, awesome," comments Youmu.

"And this is why you carry a call Rumia button. Tootles!" waves Mystia, just before a bus with a Cirntos poster runs her over.

"Cirntos," began Yuyuko.

"The fresh maker." finished Youmu.

The duo was greeted by the humble ringing of diner bells as they finally entered Byakuren's Soup Kitchen.

"This place looks a little run down..." comments Youmu, "Mistress, do they meet the Gensokyo Health Administration's standards?"

"Oh, I didn't check,"

"Oh, joy,"

The beautiful waitress Tenshi greeted them with a delightful and obviously faked smile.

"Welcome! Will it be just you two today?" she asked.

"Why yes," answered Yuyuko.

Youmu and Yuyuko were seated.

"Would you like anything to drink?" asked Tenshi.

"You, my dear." answered Yuyuko nonchalantly, leaving Youmu dumbfounded.

"Wh-"

"Yes." insisted Yuyuko.

Tenshi was confused. And scared. Hey, this is bloody Yuyuko we're talking about here, peeps.

"I'm... Uhh... Not a... beverage, ma'am..."

"Aww, too bad. I guess I'll just have to squeeze you myself."

"Lady Yuyuko, please!" hissed Youmu.

Yuyuko suddenly snapped her head to Youmu with a dark, narrowed eyed look.

"Youmu, open casket."

"Wait, what?!" shouted Youmu.

Tenshi suddenly busted out a freshly polished AK-47. Somehow, this didn't instill a deep since of panic and fear among the other customers. What was this, Mos Eisly: Miko Edition?

"How dare you... I'm tired of you nobles! So high and mighty, always running around and sneering at people and screwing the rules, just because you have money! Well no more! Today, we shall rise, and take back what is ours, bringing an end to your hideous savagery, fighting valiantly for truth, justi-"

"Youmu, closed casket,"

"Okay, squeezing myself!"

And so, Tenshi wrapped her hands around her neck and squeezed herse- ... ... ... ...wait... Okay, come on. Seriously? This script calls for her to squeeze herself to death? Screw this. I'll be in my trailer.

"Crap. We must not let the role of disembodied, soulless, underpaid narrator go unfilled. Youmu, you have the bridge,"

"Uhh, right..."

*Five minutes later.*

Oh boy, oh boy, I'm the new narrator! My name is Myon and I love you! <333

"Oh god, what have I done?" asked Youmu with her head down flat on the table.

"You have done, what needed to be done, child," replied Yuyuko, stirring Tenshi's blood life essence her peach shake. "You must live up to your family name and face..."

"Please spare us that tired joke. Please," begged Youmu.

Zippity! Holy cow, there are two Rin Kaenbyou's at a table. ZOMG, thats so KAWAII!!!

"Oh no... Lady Yuyuko, this is a secret cloning facility," whispered Youmu.

"As I feared. Youmu, there is no choice but to take our cyanide pills,"

"But you're already dead, mistress,"

"You're wrong, Youmu..." began Yuyuko in an overly dark and dramatic tone. "I... I was never alive."

Pink haired ghost lady just fell backwards, but Youyou-chan caught her! OMG, kawaii yuri hentai! <333333

"You're wrong, lady Yuyuko. You have always been alive to me," said Youmu, bending forward to kiss her lady's lips.

ZOMG, its so romantic and said, omglol! Yamame Kurodane is playing sad violin music too! I am crying and sad like homeless panda! ;__;  Oh look, a third Rin just came out of the bathroom and joined the other two, thats so cuuuuuuuute~

"Oh, all is well then," said Yuyuko, instantly back in her seat.

"AAAAAGAHGAHGAHGAHGAHGAHGAH-"

BRB, Youyou-chan tearing her hair out.

"And you, cease with that wretched racket at once,"

So liek, Yuyu-sama is tooootally glaring at violin spider girl, lol.

"Wh-what?! I was adding to the mood!" shot back Yamame.

"You get that [censored] outta here!" shouted a random customer.

"Yeah, our we'll cut ya!" shouted another.

Everyone is pulling out jack knives and glaring at Spider-chan, hidoi! ;__;

"You'll never take me alive! Take this!"

ZOMG, the violin turned into a machine gun, and now everyone is killing each other, its so sad! Why can't everyone just get along with sugoi happiness and joy and sugoi unicorns and live in harmony, harmony, oh love?! ;__;  ZOMG, Ruukoto is going to Yuyuko's table! Don't go!

"Greetings, lady Yuyuko. I am waitress Ruukoto. Are you ready to order?"

"Oh? What happened to Ms. Tenshi?" asked Yuyuko.

"By now, she is making friends of the sewer rats, seeing as you drove her to suicide and fed upon her corpse,"

"Splendid, ufufufufu~"

"I also regret to inform you that we are out of ingredients for the Nezumin Stu. Would you like to try the Legs of the Frog Goddess instead?" asked waitress Ruukoto.

"Lady Byakuren, your visions were correct. Madam Yuyuko clearly plots against you. She has succeeded in getting the customers to destroy each other, and did away with our spy, Tenshi." informed Shou.

Oooooh, this room is dark! Are there gonna be movies?! I hope its Naruto! Believe it!

"I hate this new narrator so [censored] much..." commented Ichirin.

"Also, we'll have to take the Nezumin Stu out of the menu. We used the last of Nazrin this morning." informed Shou.

"Ah, it can't be helped. Something told me hunting the mouse youkai to extinction was a questionable decision... Oh well, live and learn! But now there are more pressing matters."

Wow, Byakuren really is a kawaii sex goddess, she's so kawaii! She's getting up from her desk and walking to her little friends! Oh, I bet she's gonna snuggle them, they're so kawaii!

*SLAP*

omgwat?! Why she slap Ichirin?! D:

"W-why, m'lady?!" asked the startled Ichirin.

"Yuyuko and her family have been my enemies for the longest time, as you know. So then, why is it that Unzan's fist hasn't done away with her? Why, she's been allowed to dispose of our agents, consume our resources and make mincemeat out of our customers. Have you lost your edge, little Ichirin? This couldn't be... cowardice, would it?"

Ooooh, noble woman's glare, thats so kawaii~

"B-b-but is impossible! Challenging her directly is suicide! Wh-what if she drives me to strangle myself, like Tenshi, then eats me?! O-or worse, what if she drives me to eat myself?!"

"You disappoint me, Ichirin."

Bya-chan coughs before turning around and stepping back several paces! o.o

"Well, I guess I can't expect much from Unzan's hitbox, afterall~"

"W-wait! I-I'll do for sure, just give me one more chance!" begged Ichirin.

"Really now...? Everyone, fall in!"

Bya-chan called for everyone to fall in! But nobody falls in. Everybody is in the room already, lined against the wall. If you're told to fall in, you should actually fall in. Preferably, through the ceiling. U_U

"Everyone's here? Lets see... Nazri- Oh right... Ah, but little Ichirin, Okuu, Death Fairy, Death Maid, Fire Fairy, FlowerGurlKazami129, and of course, Parsee Mizuhashi are all here," counted Byakuren.

"Somehow, I feel out of place..." said Parsee with slight sarcasm. "Also, when did I become a minion? I thought I was supposed to be a hostage to lure in Yuugi, and-"

*SLAP*

Please don't slap people, Bya-chan! Itaiiiiii~~~ ;____;

"Ow!"

"Hush. You're Nazrin's replacement," said Byakuren with a deep glare.

"What? Forget it-"

"You're Nazrin's replacement, now act like a loyal minion before I come up with a recipe for Bridge Princess Souffl?!" yelled Byakuren.

"Eep! I'll be good..." squeaked Parsee.

"Hmph. It seems I have to remind you all of who's in charge!" announced Byakuren, hands on her delicious hips. "First, there's you, then there's the dirt, then there's the worms in the dirt, then there's the grass, then there's the bird s[censored]t in the grass, then there are the birds, then humans, then youkai and then there's me. Its our pecking order! I'd advise you not to forget it."

The other girls go noddity, noddy-nodnod~

"If you understand, then go rid this world of Yuyuko once and for all! And make it quick, she's driving our expenses through the roof!" ordered Byakuren with a finger point.

*Twelve minutes later*

Bya-chan is sighing in her chair while facepalming! o.o

"FML. F. M. L."

"Lets see... Ichirin and Okuu are dead, the maid quit, the fairies are addicted to pancakes and crack, Parsee was rushed to the hospital upon having several gallons of scalding hot coffee poured down her throat, the Orin clones have begun their predicted uprising-"

"Thank you, Ruukoto. Thank you," sighed Byakuren.

"In that case, Lady Byakuren, With the others so brutally killed, could I trouble you for a pay raise?"

"Hell no."

"If I may implore you, the recent market inflation courtesy of Kawashiro Inkorperated has greatly driven up my maintenance costs, and-"

"Pecking order!"

Ruuko-chan is sent through the roof! Its a KAWAII homeruuuu-

Okay, thats it! I'm SICK of you! You and your moe moe, kawaii-desu, weeaboo bull[censored]!Underpaid or not, I'm taking back my position as narrator! For great justice!

Hi-hidoi! O.O

*Burst in through the door!*

"Ah-ha, so you show yourself at last, Yuyuko!" points Byakuren.

"Like you're one to talk, Miss I-hide-in-my-needlessly-dim-office-all-story-long," answered Yuyuko.

"Oh, such cocky talk... But there will be no victory for the Saigyouji clan this day! The buyout is complete, and soon, I shall have soup kitchens all over China!"

"We shall decorate them with the blood leaking from your head. Youmu!"

*Evil death glare*

"Urn."

*DRAMATIC MUSIC*

"Not so fast! Shou! Teach these fools a lesson!"

"Any day now, Youmu..." sighed Yuyuko.

"Shou, honestly..." sighed Byakuren.

"Um, excuse me..." asked a strapping young man in a business suit.

"Ah, if it isn't mild mannered salary man Rinnosuke!" said Byakuren, hands clasped together.

"Um, right. Well, your servants are like... Totally making out in the bathroom. Just thought you'd like to know. So, yeah."

"Oh." said Yuyuko, staring dumbfounded.

"Yeah," said Byakuren, staring dumbfounded.

"Yep." said Rinnosuke.

"So..." uttered Yuyuko.

"Yeah," uttered Byakuren.

"So, yeah," uttered Rinnosuke.

*Rinnosuke leaves*

"Oh for Youki's sake, where's the bloody narrator?" grumbled Yuyuko.

One moment please!

Kyaaaaa! Tasketeeeeeeeee! @ _________A _________@

"Not to worry! By now, Youmu has secretly slipped poison down Shou's throat!"

Damn, glad thats over... Anyways, Shou falls out of the bathroom foaming at the mouth and motionless to Yuyuko's delight, and Byakuren's ire.

"Ha! So much for your best minion, eh?"

But then, Youmu drops out of the bathroom foaming at the mouth and montionless as well.

"Ufufufu~ Got careless with her own poison? Now now, Yuyuko you'd do well to hire some better help~" giggled Byakuren.

"Ahh, no, I'd say this was from having our substitute narrator strangled to death."

Oh... Sorry about that.

"Thats quite alright, hun," says Yuyuko reassuringly.

"Well, never the less, Ms. Saigyouji..." said Byakuren, pulling out a S&W M629 revolver. "I have the advantage!"

Byakuren froze in her tracks, feeling a piece of cold metal rub against her head. The undaunted Yuyuko smiled menacingly.

"Wh-what?! FlowerGurlKazami129?! What is the meaning of this?!" yammered Byakuren.

"You fool, I am none other than the vengeful spy of Lady Yuyuko! I have come to protect her honor and observe your filthy schemes. But now that you've destroyed my one true love Ruukoto, I can only think of vengeance! Are you ready for my SPAS-12 shotgun of justice? Its loaded with specially made incendiary rounds. In the name of my World of Gensokyocraft clan, for the freedom of the Internet and all robot maids from the future everywhere, FlowerGurlKazami129 shall smite y-"

And thats when FlowerGurlKazami129 was shot dead by mild mannered Rinnosuke, wielding the M4 rifle fresh out of his briefcase.

"O-oh, sorry about that. Can't drink my coffee in peace when there are Hoard members about," he explained.

Taking advantage, Yuyuko disarms Byakuren and turns her own revolver against her, forcing Hijiri to raise her hands.

"Oh, what ever will Mr. Chin and the Yasaka Yakuza ever do without their princess?" asked Yuyuko confidently.

Byakuren backed away, shuddering. Never had she been cornered in such a manner...

"Hmph, I'll admit it. I've been defeated here. With this scandal, I will surely be abandoned by the Yasaka Yakuza, but I will not suffer to die alone..."

Suddenly, Byakuren stomped on a hidden floor tile button!

"Enjoy your trap door, Ms. Saigyouji! Ahahahaha!"

Yuyuko stood there, still pointing the gun at the sweating Byakuren while raising an eyebrow.

"Um, yeah... Ah ha... Ahahaha... Uhh... Trapdoor? Anytime now! Aaaaanytime now! C'mon Mr. Trapdoor! Ooooh crap..."

"Your final trap has failed. Eat lead, Hijiri Byakuren!" exclaimed Yuyuko.

"Oh [censored]! She hit the wrong button!" shouted the somehow-still-breathing Yamame.

"Wait, what?" asked Yuyuko.

Suddenly, the bus with the Cirntos poster on the side burst through the door, horn-a-honkin'. Yuyuko and Byakuren held tightly to each other as two tons of solid steel death rumbled unavoidably towards them.

"KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

And thats when Byakuren's soup kitchen exploded. Everyone died. Except for Rinnosuke because he's badass. The explosion was later determined by way of a large bus engine crashing into the world's largest gas stove, annihilating several city blocks. Rinnosuke escaped because he's badass. Debris was sent flying everywhere, impaling Mima, Aya and Hatate, because they're not badass (in this story at least).

Somehow, a piece of debris found itself crashing into the Kawashiro Inkorporated munitions factory in the neighboring New Yama City. It blew up in a nuclear explosion and stuff. Kawashiro Inkorporated went bankrupt from the scandal, and CEO Nitori Kawashiro was reduced to that of a septic truck driver. However, the Yama herself escaped because she was out of town attending a law conference bloody badass. Of course, this also took out half of the Yasaka Yakuza's organization, resulting in a power vacuum that eventually destroyed the syndicate completely. The Saigyouji clan was able to turn around and buy out the Byakuren clan's assets, becoming the most powerful of the noble families. Yuyuko's artful sacrifice (?) would never be forgotten.

But deep within the dark depths of Hakugyokuro, Tennessee...

"Mistress, the difficulties presented by the unexpected events have greatly delayed our efforts, but I am pleased to report that... the item is safely back in our grasp at last,"

The mysterious young woman known only as M.I.K.O. turned around on her throne to face her winged servant.

"You've done excellent work, Remillia. Now we can continue the conspiracy as planned, though... What of our losses?"

Remillia allowed herself a slight smirk...

"Acceptable."

To be continued...?
In all likelihood, no.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2010, 01:44:56 AM »
I'd use a better vocabulary to describe these, but I think I can sum it up in one word.

lol

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2010, 06:31:34 AM »
HAMMER SHUT UP

Judges are sleepy and compiling information, please watch warmly for results.

Judges are even sleepier and done with the contest!

This week's winner is... oh my god I lol'd. Odda C.! Dear god that was amazing. Excellent use of Byakuren's Soup Kitchen, and combined with "FlowerGurlKazami129" and "Hakugyokuro, Tennessee", had at least two of our judges in stitches. You need to do comedy more often, holy hell that was amazing.

Judges are visualizing sex goddess naked apron Byakuren for a moment. Please wait as they wipe the silly grin from their face.

A-ahem. Honorable mentions go to Roukanken-- because holy shit that was incredibly awesome. "Her stocks not even drop" is the best use of that meme I have ever heard-- and to Erebus, whose piece was particularly popular with our guest judge, Nobu! And my personal tastes favored Ammy's piece, which made me appreciate Hatate's character even more than I already do, for which I thank the writer very much.

I am way, way too tired to stay coherent for much longer, so without further ado, this week's challenge is:
April 12, 2010: Sakura Matsuri
Ruro x Matsuri OTP The inspiration for this particular contest is Sakura Matsuri, which happened three days ago.
As you may have guessed, the theme is festivals and holidays! Despite the title, the holiday or festival does not have to be cherry blossom viewing or autumn leaf viewing; it can be a birthday, or it can be a major holiday, you name it. The one requirement is that there be an in-story party to celebrate it!

Hope you enjoy the challenge. Have fun writing, folks!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
Congrats, Odda C! And well deserved, too.

The next contest sounds really fun. I believe I know already which holiday I plan to go with.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »
Congratulations, Odda C!

Ruro x Matsuri OTP
>:3
I think I should participate this week, with an unjudged fun-entry of course~

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
It was a pleasure reading everyone's entries. o/ They were good reminders that I should read fiction more often.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

An Odd Sea Slug

• Only the best.
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »
I was honestly not expecting to win this, so I'm really not sure what to say. <__>

Anyways, I'm glad that those that read it enjoyed it, and I hope I can write more soon. Also, yay, I got my ducky back! <3

Thanks guys!

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
(I've escaped my old job and have a new shiny one, so I'm in a festive mood.  So here we go!)
-------

Reimu spared a glance at the intruder into her peaceful afternoon.  ?You know I have duties here as well.  What makes you think I can go running off to help you on such short notice??

Sanae bowed deeply in supplication.  ?Please Reimu!  I'll help out at your next festival.  I'll clean your shrine for a week!  Just help me out here.?

The red white miko sighed.  ?Alright.  I'll accept.?  She held up her hand to cut off Sanae's happy cheer.  ?If, and only if, you explain why this is such a big deal.  I know you can handle a festival without me.?

Sanae winced.  ?Well, it's because this festival is the one commemorating Lady Kanako's victory over Lady Suwako.?

?Huh??  Reimu looked over at Sanae in surprise.  Then she chuckled.  ?Oh that's great.  But why is this a problem now??

?Well before we moved to Gensoukyo, Lady Suwako was mainly just keeping the curse gods suppressed, and that didn't require much effort outside the border.  She didn't deal with day to day events much.  But now they've both started to get more active....?

Reimu nodded.  ?Right.  I see.  So you want me to come along and be a restraining influence.?

Sanae smiled sheepishly.  ?Yeah.  They wouldn't want to show disunity in front of you, since you have a branch shrine.?

?And I'm working for the competition,? Reimu added with a smirk.  ?Well in this case I can help you.?

?Thank you so much,? Sanae bowed deeply to the other shrine maiden.  ?With you there things should work out.?

Reimu shrugged.  ?Eh, I think you're worrying too much anyway.  They've dealt with this for a long time.  I honestly don't think there'd be a problem unless someone was trying to stir things up.?

---

?Halt and state your business,? stated the Wolf Tengu.

?Me?  Just waiting for the declaration invincibility to end so I can bomb you out of the way,? replied Reimu.

Sanae gave the miko a glare before turning to Momiji.  ?She's here to help with the festival.  Come on Momiji.  You know me.  Do we have to go through this every time??

Momiji nodded.  ?Yes.?

Sanae sighed, and after a few seconds Momiji echoed it.  ?Look Sanae, we can't just let you gods tell us who can and can't enter the mountain.  I'll let it pass, but you have to clear this stuff with the Great Tengu for a reason.  We're the rulers of the mountain, not your subjects.?

?Is it really that important?? Sanae asked.

Momiji nodded.  ?Yes.  Yes it is.?  She shrugged.  ?But... there's a festival tonight so go ahead.  We'll be dropping picket duty tonight too, so everyone else can come.?

Sanae nodded, ?Thank you.?

Reimu started flying further up the mountain.  ?Yeah, thanks.  Anyway let's go get started on our jobs.?

As the two flew off Momiji called out, ?I'll see you two at the festival.?

Reimu gave the green miko a sidelong glance.  ?It seems you're fitting in better then before.  Momiji seems to be much nicer to you then she is normally.?

Sanae blushed, ?I hope so.  It's still a little confusing here with all the odd rules.  Still it would be nice to be seen as a friend instead of as an ambassador of a dangerous foreign power.?

Reimu shrugged.  ?No clue if that'll happen in our lifetimes.  But so long as you have some friends it should be okay right??

?I suppose so...?

---

Hatate smiled as she snapped off a few photos of one of the more impressive wipe outs on the onbashira.  It was too bad this festival only happened every six years.  There was a whole lot to see.

Unfortunately, she'd have to spend a lot more of that time doing her work instead of wandering the festival.  Normally she'd just play like the second rate tengu journalists did, then use spirit photography later to get her info for the articles.  But with Aya as her rival that just wouldn't cut it.  She'd have to be in the middle of things, stirring up trouble if necessary.

Still, she thought to herself, she could spend a lot of time personally inspecting the vendors and games.  For example the takoyaki at this stall was grade A.  She took a quick picture of the bird youkai cooking the treats then moved on down the lane of booths.

There were a lot more of the youkai from below the mountain here too, which was a great boon.  The kassha and the shikigami kitten seemed to be having a contest as to who could catch (and eat) the most goldfish.  She snapped a quick pic of that.  And another pic of the gap youkai and the flower youkai being very dangerously polite to each other.

As Hatate walked away from where she'd just done an investigative review of cotton candy, something caught her eye.  What looked like a young girl was walking through the booths alone.  Most people would just guess she was some random minor youkai and over look her.  But Hatate knew better then that.  She moved through the crowd to the girl and took a quick snapshot.

?So Lady Suwako, any reason you're wandering this festival in disguise?? the tengu asked quietly.

Suwako jumped in surprise, then turned to stare at the reporter.  Finally she shrugged in acceptance and waved the reporter over to some quieter benches.  When they could hear clearly, the goddess responded, ?Who says I was hiding?  It's not like leaving behind my hat is some ultimate disguise.?

Hatate smiled while punching in notes on the camera's keypad.  ?Suuure it isn't.  That's why no one but  me recognized you, right?  But that's not what I'm interested in right now.?  The Tengu looked around briefly before continuing, ?The truth is, I'm actually interested in an exclusive with you.?

Suwako's eyes narrowed.  ?About what??

Hatate waved her hand around at the festival.  ?Well this is such a sweet party, but there's all this history stuff attached to it.  So I figured it'd be awesome to get the other side of the story.  The Great Suwa War from Lady Suwako's POV right??

Suwako sat and considered it.  ?You're actually trying to get me all riled up at Kanako so you'll have an incident to cover aren't you??  Hatate blanched then tried to look innocent.  ?That's okay I guess, if only because it won't work.  And it would be nice to tell my story again.?  The frog goddess pointed up at her interviewer.  ?I'll do it if you get me some shaved ice.  Strawberry flavor!?

Hatate whirled around to head back to the vendors.  It was still a better story then nothing.  ?'Kay!  One strawberry ice ASAP.?

---

Kanako smirked at the frantically scribbling Tengu.  ?But why a sudden interest today Miss Shameimaru??

Aya smiled easily.  ?Because of the festival of course!  It's the biggest one in Gensoukyo for some time.  Even Suika Ibuki didn't draw in this many people during her incident.  You've got unique events, a full crowd of booths and even a full fireworks display created by the black white witch herself.  With all that excitement, it seems only fitting to have a proper retrospective on the reason for the days events.?

?Hmmm?  Are you sure that's it?? Kanako asked.

Well that and I figure getting you in a bragging mode increases the chances of you annoying Suwako and something fun happening, but you don't need to know that, thought Aya.

Out loud she said, ?Of course.?

The goddess smiled knowingly.  ?Well alright then.  I'm glad I was able to help you.?

At this point a rather frazzled looking Marisa poked her head into the room.  ?Hey, you on soon?  It's taking all my spare time and some help from two mikos to keep the Kappa from busting open my fireworks to inspect them.?

Kanako nodded.  ?I'll begin the official festivities right now.  That should distract most of them.?  She nodded to Aya.  ?If you'll excuse me...?

?No problem Lady Kanako,? Aya said before flying out to get a good spot to watch the festivities.  The drinking hadn't started in earnest yet, so Aya still considered herself on the job.  She wasn't going to let that young fledgling one up her.

It looked like Marisa had been telling the truth about the kappa messing with the fireworks.  Reimu was lecturing two younger ones right now.  Aya idly wondered how Sanae had persuaded the other miko to help here.  Something to look up later.

Scanning the crowd she found the newcomers had shown up, though they hadn't split off into pairs yet, so there was no material to be found there.  The umbrella seemed to have joined Yuuka's entourage, though Aya couldn't say yet if that was because she'd been drawn in by the other youkai's power or if she just enjoyed being with Medicine.  Momiji seemed to be buying a plush doll from Alice, which seemed a little odd.  Aya had figured Momiji would prefer traditional porcelain dolls.

And wandering through the crowd was her self proclaimed rival... and Suwako?  Aya stared closely to confirm her suspicions.  That was unexpected.  The girl had more promise then Aya had suspected.

Still even if Suwako was Hatate's front page, the worst it could do was boost Aya's sales from people interested in seeing the other half of the story.  She just needed to make sure her article was better.

The festival din hushed as Kanako made her usual flashy appearance in front of the shrine.  Admittedly flash was something to be proud of, and as the host showing off was almost required.  Kanako immediately headed into her speech.  Sadly it didn't describe much about the war at all, and mainly just talked about how great the unification of Japan was.  Suwako looked a little miffed at points, but it was hardly the rage Aya had been hoping for.

The speech ended quickly, and Kanako raised her arms to allow those with large offerings to come forth.

Aya had almost given up hope on there being an incident when a small figure caught her eye.  She smiled and raised her camera as she recognized the person.  ?Well well, the most interesting person in Gensoukyo.  Don't fail me now...?

---

Reimu sighed as the speech ended.  ?Well that wasn't too bad.  Honestly those Kappa kids were way more annoying.  Why were you so worried Sanae??

Sanae absently tossed her gohei back and forth between hands.  ?It's not over yet.  The worst is right about now...?

Reimu looked over at where the Great Tengu was offering several barrels of sake (which would likely be gone before the end of the night) to Kanako.  ?Huh?  What's there to worry about??

Sanae winced.  ?Because one of the offerings that can be made is to sacrifice frogs.?

Reimu gave Sanae an odd look.  ?Huh?  Who would know that?  For that matter who would do that?  I think you're worrying about nothing.?

Marisa gave a cough.  ?Spoke too soon, Reimu.  Look.?

The two miko looked at where the magician was pointing.  Coming down out of the sky was a very familiar ice fairy holding a sack.  Reimu and Sanae buried their faces in their hands.

Cirno landed on the grounds, completely ignoring the line behind her.  Fortunately most of the people in that line were looking forward to a bit of spectacle.  Pointing at Kanako the fairy asked, ?Are you the goddess that makes people strong??

Kanako nodded in amusement.  ?Yes that is one of the blessing I can grant.  Why, do you wish to become stronger little fairy??

Cirno shook her head.  ?Nope!  Cirno is already the strongest.  I just want to make sure you don't make anyone stronger then me!?

She upended the sack.  ?You like frog sacrifices right?  'Cause I'm the best at freezing frogs!?

Sure enough a mass of frogsicles rolled onto the ground.  Kanako did her best to hide a laugh, ?That's not the normal way of offering them, but it is an impressive number.?

Cirno nodded in 'comprehension.' ?Oh, I can break them if you need to!  It's real easy.  Let's see...?

A solid crack followed by a light ringing as an iron ring bounced off Cirno's skull and hit the ground cut off any comments the fairy or Kanako were going to make.  The crowd turned as one to see Suwako striding out of their midst, with her hat restored and an angry gleam in her eyes.  ?I'll accept a lot of grief from you Kanako.  A whole lot.  But I won't let you keep hurting frogs just to show me up!?

Kanako glared at the other goddess.  ?Did you think I'd really have that fairy kill all those frogs?  Why don't you let me finish doing the real work around here while you go back to the shed!?

Reimu sighed and pulled out some talismans.  ?Alright plan B.?  She began to move forward when a gust of wind hit the crowd.  To everyone's surprise an annoyed looking Aya was standing next to the unconscious Cirno with notebook in hand.  ?So Lady Suwako, do you often use your powers to crush small fairies who are actually participating in rituals?  And how do you explain the interruption of festival events??

There was a flash then Hatate entered the grounds next to Suwako.  ?So Aya, could you, for the record, explain why you spend so much time following this ice fairy around?  What type of interest do you have in her??

Aya looked shocked for a moment before smiling viciously.  ?I assure you I have no non professional interest in young girls, like you two.?

Kanako burst out laughing at the looks of shock on the faces of Suwako and Hatate.  ?Oh no, you didn't,? snarled the younger Tengu when she got back her composure.

Suwako was more direct.  ?Alright, let's see how well you do with spellcard rules Kanako!?

The four combatants took to the sky, exchanging attacks.  Reimu put her amulet away and stepped back.  This was no longer a problem that could be solved quickly.  The rest of the Tengu and youkai were of course taking bets, and Sanae looked like she was beside herself with tears.  ?Sorry Sanae.  Looks like we got outmaneuvered by idiots.?

?Oh no...  There's got to be some way to stop them!  Please stop you two!?  Sanae's words flew up into the sky, where they were lost in the rumble of battle.

Reimu shrugged.  ?It's Gensoukyo.  These things happen.?

Sanae frowned.  ?It still looks bad!  This is why your shrine has no worshipers.?  Sanae ignored Reimu's glare and began to pray.  ?Please stop those two...?

Suddenly an errant bullet landed behind the autumn shrine.  Marisa's eyes went wide in concern.  ?The fireworks!?

Sure enough, not 3 seconds later a full Marisa special flew into the air.  And Marisa was not one to skimp on gunpowder.  Or magical explosives.  The barrage that flew into the air was every bit as dangerous as an attack from the black white witch herself.

The gods and tengu fighting in the air were caught by surprise as the waves of explosives hit them.  The Tengu were taken out before the first 'intermission' while Suwako and Kanako hit the ground as the finale shattered the skies.

Silence reigned for a few moments.

?Nice work with the miracle Sanae,? Marisa said as Sanae stood sheepishly over the fallen forms of her goddesses.

Sanae winced.  ?I didn't mean to do it!  It was an accident!?

Momiji walked out of the confused crowd and placed a sake bottle in front of the temples shrine maiden.  Then she clapped her hands twice and bowed in supplication.  ?Oh great goddess of miracles Sanae Kochiya.  Please grant my fellow Tengu the wisdom not to annoy me while I'm on patrol.?

Sanae blushed furiously with embarrassment.  ?That's not funny Momiji!?

Momiji nodded and smiled as she looked on the unconscious forms on the ground.  ?Yes.  Yes it is.?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:38:29 AM by IcedFairy »

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2010, 03:18:43 AM »
I find myself tempted to write one this week.  For Reitaisai, no less. :V

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
Hmm. I might get in on this action, too.

theshirn

« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2010, 05:18:01 AM »
WOAH NO WAY IT'S A SUBMISSION

Twilight crept its way over the horizon into the sky above, but the Hakurei shrine grounds were still alive with light and sound.  Crowds of humans from the village moved around, mingling easily with youkai, magicians, ghosts, fairies, and all the other varied inhabitants of Gensokyo.  The Reitaisai festival this year had been a great success, with an even bigger turnout than usual, but that was to be expected.  As more inhabitants came out of the Border Land?s woodwork, the festival became more of a draw every year.  The addition of the monk?s crew ? who were already on very good terms with most of the villagers ? lent a more traditional feel to the celebration.

The sole figure leaned against the dark back wall of the shrine, deep in thought.  It was something of a miracle, the way the Reitaisai worked.  Something about the current shrine maiden convinced people to overcome their differences, even if only for the few days it lasted.  There was no fighting ? well, no unregulated fighting; the danmaku spectacles were one of the most anticipated events of the year, and the grand finale always kept people talking about it until the next year ? no attempts to eat anyone else, no one was harassed or bullied or photographed without consent ? thankfully, Reimu?d added that one a couple years ago.  Even the most dire of feuds were lain aside for the sake of the festival.

It was good for the humans, too.  They got a good chunk of commerce out of it and had a chance to actually meet some of their wilder neighbors.  Contests were held in which powers were forbidden (those that could be disabled, anyway), and humans vied fiercely with the many other species, often coming out on top.  For them, it was a time they could prove themselves and their place in Gensokyo, and they took it seriously.

A particularly loud burst of applause rang out.  Someone must have just performed well in a contest.  The figure shrugged and rummaged through a pocket, coming up with a cigarette.  A small flame flickered briefly, and the shadowy person took a drag before exhaling slowly.

?Heyyyyyyy?? a shrill voice piped.  ?Whatcha doin? back here by yourself?  C?mon out an? have some fun!?  The voice was followed by a small figure, staggering slightly.  Suika, then.

?And what brings you back here, hm??  Mokou mumbled around the cigarette.  ?I thought parties were your deal, oni.?

?Well, yeah, but only when people come to ?em!?  Suika came up to lean next to Mokou.  ?I mean, you?re hard enough to get a hold of in the first place, but now you just hide in the dark?  C?mon!?

The immortal merely shrugged and took another puff.

Suika sighed.  ?I don?t get it.  I mean, I know you?re immortal an? all, right?  So I guess you don?t wanna spend too much time with humans, ?cause too much time still ain?t enough, right??

?Are you going anywhere with this??

Suika made a face.  ?Well, there?s all these youkai an? stuff that you can hang with, right?  I mean, they might not live forever, but some of us come pretty damn close!?  She hiccupped slightly, and took another draught from her gourd to quash it.  ?Why not have a drink with us, at least??

Mokou sighed.  ?First, because of the way my body works.  I heal really, really fast, and I?m pretty much immune to every toxin and disease.  That includes alcohol.?

Suika stared at her in mock horror.  ?Oh, man!  No wonder you?re so grouchy!?  She grinned, to take the sting off of the words.  ?So what?s the second then?

The immortal stared off into the distance, cigarette forgotten, before answering.  ?No matter how old I get, no matter how long I live, I?m still human, all right??  She took the cigarette out of her mouth, gestured with it.  ?When a human gets this old, this powerful, you still need something to anchor yourself.  Maybe it?s not the same for a youkai, I dunno.  But I need something to hold onto, something to ? to be a part of.  I?m still human, not youkai?you know??

The oni looked at Mokou, a surprising glint of wisdom and empathy in her eyes.  ?Yeah?I think I do.  But in that case, why not spend some time with the humans??

?Trust me, oni, it doesn?t end well.?  Mokou turned away, began spinning the cigarette between her fingers.

?Seems t?me, then,? Suika hiccupped again, ?that what you?ve got goin? here is an infinite loop.  You ain?t gonna spend time with the humans, you ain?t gonna spend time with the youkai, so what?re you gonna do?  Spend the rest of eternity sittin? in the shadows behind a building??

?Enough, little oni.?  Mokou smiled ruefully.  ?I?m not even sure why I showed up.  Even avoiding her, this really just isn?t me.  If I didn?t know better, I?d say you gathered me here.?

?Heh.  Nope!?  The oni smiled.  ?But maybe I should give you a pull inside, huh??

?Don?t even think about it.?  The phoenix gently swatted the oni, smiling.

?Aw, c?mon!  At least a little while!  Sakuya?s doin? card tricks and Nitori?s got some kinda contraption set up ? the Loan Fascist or somethin? like that, and there?s still the farewell for Letty and the welcome for Lily White an? the-?

?You?re kidding.  They?re actually letting Lily White in this year?!?

?Well, no, it?s more in absentia, ?cause they still can?t stop her from shootin? people at the welcome.  But there?s so much goin? on, at least come in for a bit!  Please??  Suika coughed.  ?An? you probably shouldn?t smoke, y?know??

Mokou took another drag in response, then winked.  ?Immortality, remember??  She sighed.  ?Enough already, though.  I was about to head out anyway.?  The immortal dropped the cigarette, crushed it underfoot.

?Awww??  Suika pulled another grimace, then nodded.  ?Alright then.  Catch you later.  I mean that!?

Mokou nodded as well.  ?Take care, Suika.?  She watched the oni start moving away in her unique, slightly off-balance walk.  ?And?thanks.?

Suika turned and winked.  ?Hey, no problem, alright?  Just make sure you come around one of these days!?  And then she turned the corner and was gone.  Another round of applause floated in her wake.

?One of these days, huh??  Mokou closed her eyes and let memory wash over her for a few moments, then pushed herself upright and walked into the shadowy forest.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2010, 12:56:47 AM »
There was something she had always enjoyed about being alone. It had never been a common occurance - a girl of her standing had more than her fair share of courters - but she would savour the time when there was no-one else in the room, lapping up every word that slipped out of her mouth. Here, in her own room, rolling around as dawn started to break outside, she had no-one to please, no-one to satisfy.

No-one to hurt.

"Come on, dear, wake up."

She wished her mother didn't always use that condescending tone when she talked with her. It was only the first call, after all, and she had never missed it. Still, she begrudgingly complied, pulling herself out from her bed and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Long, radiant pink hair ran down her back, various strands breaking to the side almost at random.

"I'm awake, mother..."

"Alright, dearie, your tea will be ready in a few minutes."

There was something clingy, over-protective in that tone. She hated it - it made her feel like she was twelve years old all over again. She was a young woman now, and she had her own life to live. Preferrably alone, with no company other than the little woodland animals in some nearby forest.

Actually, maybe she would have to scratch that last part. Animals living near her could lead to...no, it wasn't worth thinking about. She would just get changed for now, she decided.

"Oh, and don't forget what today is. Be sure to wear that kimono for me, dear."

This she didn't need to be reminded of. This was the one day in the year when she was allowed to wear it, and she loved it to pieces to the point where sometimes she would put it in when no-one else was in the house (a regrettably rare occurance). It was a light shade of blue, contrasting perfectly with her hair and light red eyes, and it fit her slender form as well as it always did.

She emerged from her room a few minutes later, to see her mother's smiling face waiting for her at the dining table.

"Ah, Yuyuko. You look as beautiful as ever, my child."

She had to force a grin as she looked back. Most girls her age would have loved a compliment like that about her beauty, but her attention was too busy focusing on other matters. On her mother's face, on every new wrinkle that emerged on it with the passing days. Aging was a natural process, yes, but not at the speed her mother was experiencing it.

Yuyuko made sure to sit as far away as possible from her mother as she started on her tea, sipping lightly as she tested its warmth. Her mother simply thought it was your typical case of teenage rebellion, and accepted that her child was learning to stand for herself. The truth of the matter was something far different - something Yuyuko had never had the nerve to talk about. Something which her mother would hate her for with a passion, assuming she even believed her.

She wanted to stop hurting her.

---

She had been young when she first discovered it. Her mother - young and beautiful then, and it felt like it had been an eternity ago - had taken her for a walk in a nearby forest, and they had come across a young rabbit lying motionless on the ground.

"Mommy, why isn't Mr. Rabbit moving?" she had asked, with that innocent curiosity that never survived past childhood. Her mother had grimaced for an instant, she remembered that, before starting on her response.

"The rabbit has just decided to sleep, dear."

"Will he wake up?"

That hadn't helped at all, now that she looked back. Another grimace followed by an insincere smile.

"No, I'm afraid not. He's gone to the dream world."

Yuyuko had tilted her head in confusion then. Her mother continued.

"It's a wonderful place where people go after they become old. It's like all of your wishes coming true, and everyone plays games and has fun together."

Yuyuko's eyes brightened. She bought into the story entirely - this dream world sounded fantastic to her.

"...Anyway. It's time to visit the Tree of Saigyouji, isn't it?"

Yuyuko nodded excitedly as her mother started to lead her further into the forest. The bottom trails of her kimono caught on some of the wayward branches as she ran, and more than once her mother had caught her mid-fall. Her little legs did what they could to catch up, and in a few minutes they had arrived.

Their small prefecture still had its old, esoteric rituals, and the Day of Saigyouji was one of them. It was the day when the Saigyouji family, the ruling family of the prefecture, would pray to their guardian tree for the family's continued success. Up until now, her mother had always been the one to make the wish for the tree, but Yuyuko had finally become old enough to perform the ritual herself, and it was a rite that always fell to the family's youngest daughter.

As her mother finally came to a halt, Yuyuko finally caught her first sight of the Tree of Saigyouji. She froze in place for a moment, her eyes totally overwhelmed by the sight of the largest cherry blossom tree she had ever seen, thousands of petals falling from its branches and floating down to the ground. The Day of Saigyouji was chosen deliberately to match the day the tree bloomed, and it was a spectacle to behold no matter how many times anyone saw it. Her mother was crying at the sight, and she'd seen it herself well over a dozen times already.

"Alright, Yuyuko. I want you to go down to the foot of that tree and make a wish."

Yuyuko nodded. She'd been told this before, and now she knew exactly what she was going to wish for. Walking carefully so as not to step on too many of the fallen cherry blossoms, she reached the tree's roots and placed one hand on it. She focused her mind, smiling as she made her wish.

An honest, carefree wish, which she would regret for the rest of her life.

"I wish I had the power to make people sleep forever!"

---

She didn't notice for a few years, until the day she visited her grandmother for the first time. The visit itself had been normal enough, but the day she had woken up to find her mother sobbing as her father did what he could to comfort her.

"...Father, why is mother crying...?"

A familiar strained look rose to her father's face. He had never been one to smile, what with all the work that he had to cope with as the head of the Saigyouji family. This was the face he wore when work weighed him down, but this time it was something different entirely.

"...Yuyuko, your grandmother passed away in her sleep last night."

"Passed away?"

Her father did what he could to make the point gently, and for the most part it worked. Yuyuko wasn't old enough to properly consider the point that her father had made. It was only later that she realised that her mother's 'dream world' and 'passing away' were one and the same. No problem, though - the whole Day of Saigyouji thing was just a festival they made up to catch people's attention, right?

Or so she'd thought, until one day when she'd snuck out of the house to sneak through the forest herself. She was fourteen, and starting to make the transition between girl and woman, but she clung to the carefree spirit she had always had as a child.

"Hm?"

Her eyes turned to something lying on the ground at her side. It was a fox, lying cold and still on the hard earth. Yuyuko ran over to it, shaking it slightly, but there was no response. She was silent for a moment, the old thoughts running through her mind again.

No, Yuyuko. Stop thinking like that.

She tried to wipe her mind of it, moving further into the forest, but she didn't manage to take fifty paces before she found something else. A young deer, in the same fallen state as the fox, with a peaceful smile on its face as it entered the sleep that no-one came back from.

It's just coincidence, it's just coincidence...

She unconsciously started running faster, trying to convince herself that her fears could possibly be true. Everywhere around her the bodies started piling up - birds, rabbits, even bears were lying dead all around her. Even the trees were starting to wilt around her, whole branches falling to the ground and snapping at her feet.

No, no, no, this isn't happening, it isn't possible, it can't be me doing this, it can't be-

She couldn't even see any more for the tears in her eyes, but given the sights unfolding around her that was probably a blessing. It wasn't until her father caught up and wrapped his arms around her that she even realised she had been followed.

"It's all right, dear...you were lost, but I'm here for you..."

Her face was streaming with tears, and she couldn't even manage to stutter out a word as she accepted her father's embrace. She'd never been close to her parents - back then she really had been trying to enforce her independence, and she hadn't hugged either of them in some time. In a moment of weakness, she held him close - as close as she could, until her arms hurt from the strain.

Her father led her home, offered more hugs, told her things were going to be okay, but nothing would work. Yuyuko's mind was so lost and focused on what she had done that no words could possibly reach her. She was a murderer, and as she slept that night she twisted and turned as the spirits of the creatures she had killed haunted her in her nightmares.

As she woke up the next morning, she decided that she would never enter the forest again, Day of Saigyouji be damned. She was too much of a risk to the animals there, it was for the best-

"Dear?"

Her mother's voice resounded through the manor. The slight hint of worry that hung in her words was enough to make her blood freeze.

"Dear, wake up. It's morning."

Yuyuko waited in bed, listening carefully, silently praying that her father would offer some sort of response. She slowly curled up into a ball, her heart pounding faster than it ever had before. Only now did she realise what she had done for the first time in years yesterday. She had hugged him, embraced him, and now...

"Please, dear...please, get up..."

For a moment she felt his arms wrap around her again, until the feeling faded into the distance along with her entire nervous system. She reached out for her pillow and pressed it against her face, screaming with every ounce of power she had.

Her mother didn't need to say a thing to Yuyuko as she walked in, eyes red from her own tears. Her daughter was already distraught, sobbing to herself and begging that this was all just a horrible dream. She made to hug her, but Yuyuko pushed her away with terror in her eyes.

Never again. She would lock herself in this manor if she had to. She would never hurt anyone again. She was a demon, a heartless, cruel demon who could kill without even meaning to. She was a killer, a murderer.

She was a monster.

---

Her mother had been accepting of her seclusion at first, but she soon started pressing Yuyuko into finding a husband. With her father's death the Saigyouji's power had all but collapsed, to the point where the Day of Saigyouji was simply the only day Yuyuko was allowed to wear the family kimono. But Yuyuko stubbornly refused every groom that her mother suggested to her, no matter how much she liked him as a person.

She wouldn't wish her companionship on anyone.

It had been five long years since her father's passing, and Yuyuko had never been close to her mother since then. She had become aware of the power inside her - a power that only grew stronger with each passing day, until she grew convinced that even a touch would be enough to kill her mother. Even without that, she had been having a slow, gradual effect - the forty-year-old woman had the hair and wrinkles of someone twice her age. It had been enough to make Yuyuko want to be ill every time she'd had to look her in the eye, especially because she knew it had been her fault.

For a while, she had been considering it. The final way to stop herself before she could hurt anyone else. She pondered the irony of doing it today, of all days, but she had never had the courage. Besides, it was the last thing she could do to her mother now.

So today went like most other days for Yuyuko - a cup of tea to start the day, some reading in her own time, and food. Today she practiced another tea festival, training to please the husband she would never have.

She usually didn't even risk approaching her mother, but today she made an exception. Her mother loved seeing her in this kimono, so she decided to end the day by offering her a cup of her favourite green tea. She slipped her head through the doorway into her mother's room, pulling her best smile.

"Mother, I brought you something!"

There was no reply. She allowed herself a smile, assuming her mother had just fallen asleep again. She allowed herself in, and sure enough her mother was sitting peacefully in her chair with her eyes clasped shut.

"Oh well, I'd best leave it here in case she wakes u-"

It wasn't until she came closer and placed the cup on the table beside her that Yuyuko realised her mother's chest was still.

"...Aah, aaah..."

She must have just not looked right. She placed a hand on her mother's chest, praying that she would at least feel a heartbeat.

Nothing.

"No...please, no...mother..."

Yuyuko fell to her knees, her arms grabbing at her mother's shoulders and shaking the body to no avail. Her head bounced around almost comically as she shook. The last remnants of Yuyuko's sanity trailed off into the distance.

"Don't leave me...don't leave me all alone..."

She pulled her hands away, realising that there was nothing else she could do. They felt warm and sticky as she put them to her face.

As she pulled them away, she realised they were covered in blood.

It was her first true delusion, and it was more than enough to drive her over the edge.

---

She was running again. Just like she had so many years ago as a child, but this time was worse. So, so much worse.

She could see now. See the bodies lying at her sides as she ran, the trees turning black as their leaves withered and died before even falling from their branches. The voices, the ones that she knew couldn't be real but were too clear to be fake, the ones that cursed her with every vulgarity she knew and even some that she didn't. And worst of all, the blood, seeping from the ground itself as if it had absorbed all that it could hold.

She only tried once to close her eyes and block the sight, but behind her eyelids she saw their faces. Her father and mother, faces cold and rigid, looking at her with demonic rage, one word slipping from their lips.

"Why?"

Now she was too scared to close her eyes, frightened even of blinking. Terror drove her forward more than anything else, driving her to finish her journey. To end it all at last.

Finally, after the longest journey she had ever endured, she made it to the clearing. The great Tree of Saigyouji still stood proud, barely strong enough to survive her influence. Exhaustion started to kick in, and Yuyuko started to stumble as she continued moving forward, her legs threatening to give way.

But she wouldn't stop. She was still the youngest child of the Saigyouji family. And it was still that one day of the year where the tree was said to grant wishes. So she would have her wish.

Her body finally came to a halt as she placed one hand on the tree. Behind her the forest continued to wilt, creatures and plants dying around her. Her mind had long since lost track of what was real and what was not, and as she reached into her kimono her voice had an almost cheerful tone.

"Good evening, Mister Tree. I haven't seen you for a while, have I?"

Her hand grasped on something beneath the blue fabric, and pulled out a small object. Its metallic edge glistened in the moonlight.

"Please, allow me one final request, if that's not too much for you to ask."

She took one deep breath, holding onto the knife with both hands. She turned it towards herself, smiling one last time.

"I want to forget...to forget everything. Who I am, what I've done, I want it all to disappear. I want it to be like this life never happened."

The knife swooped down, impaling itself in Yuyuko's chest. She grimaced for an instant as it pierced her, the pain only minor compared to the agony her mind had suffered. She felt an immense relief as the strength in her body started to fade, and she looked up at the cherry blossoms that were still falling as she started to lose consciousness.

"Heh...humour a dying woman, won't you...?"

Yuyuko's body slumped over, finally wearing the same cold, blank face that her victims had. Beneath her, the fallen cherry blossoms turned crimson.

And from that day forward, the cherry blossoms of the Tree of Saigyouji would always be an unusual shade of scarlet, as if to mourn the loss of its last maiden.

---

"Lady Yuyuko, it's morning."

Dawn broke on Hakugyokurou, and its mistress pulled herself awake after the first call. For a moment she planned to wear her normal kimono, but a thought came to her from nowhere in particular.

"Hm, is it that day again?"

Yuyuko had never been good at keeping track of time, but for some reason she would always remember this particular day of the year. It was the day Youmu dreaded the most - the one time she would change from her typical kimono and change to the one that she refused to clean. The two were almost perfectly identical, except this one had a hole in its chest with telling red stains hanging on it. They seeped out in a beautiful pattern though, like a flower in the midst of the blue fabric, so she always found herself wearing it during this day of all days.

She took a stroll by herself around the gardens of Hakugyokurou, as around her a thousand cherry blossom trees came into bloom at once. Initially her eyes seemed to instinctively turn to the floor in fear, but there was never anything to look at and her body eventually relaxed and simply enjoyed the sight of the petals floating to the ground around her.

It was beautiful, but at the same time it felt almost...nostalgic. She couldn't remember why, exactly, but for some reason the sight reminded her slightly of her old life. It was a warm, and happy feeling. She must have had a wonderful life if it brought back memories like this.

Still, she frowned as she looked up to realise that the largest tree of all had not followed suit. The Saigyou Ayakashi was still nearly wilted, with none of the beauty its surrounding trees possessed. It felt empty, incomplete, not like how she had remembered it being.

She remembered the stories that had been written in the tomes of Hakugyokurou. About the child who had died beneath the cherry blossoms, and whose body had been buried beneath the Saigyou Ayakashi to prevent her from suffering ever again.

Perhaps that child would like it here. Free of the pain of human life, and able to simply bask in enlightenment for the rest of time. She certainly enjoyed it, herself.

Yuyuko became aware of quiet footsteps following behind her.

Not allowing me out of her sight for a second? She is truly faithful, isn't she.

"Youmu."

"Yes, Lady Yuyuko?"

Her face turned to a grin.

"What do you know about collecting the essence of spring?"

---

I'm sort of scared this isn't related enough to the topic to count. :V

theshirn

« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2010, 01:30:20 AM »
I'm sort of scared this isn't related enough to the topic to count. :V
So was I, sort of.  But now I don't have to worry, because your entry trounces mine! :V

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
And now, as per the custom, the head judge will now decide which story was best. We feel that this is best done through the traditional method of printing out the stories, stuffing them in the fireplace and lighting a fire, and whichever one makes it through is the winner.

Our very special guest, Patchouli, founder of the Scarlet Library, may do the honours.

I may or may not have to resize this with GIMP later so that Matsuri won't kick my ass :<

... and believe it or not, a clear winner has emerged! Surely the irony of his name ought to be invoked, as it's the only reason this joke can possibly work!

This week's winner is, if you didn't get it already, Iced Fairy! Having come back from a two-week leave of absence, he submitted a Moriya Shrine festival piece that impressed all three of our judges. Nice story, and the ending was great-- Hatate and Aya's rivalry kept it interesting as well.

Oh, and because Sakana wanted me to say so: "Theshim's entry gets honorable mention for sneaking in a reference to Purvis' Day Planners". And as for me, I don't much like Mokou, but this was quite refreshing to read, and it was nice to see a fresh face around these parts, so please stick around to write more~

Rou, you asked me on IRC and I wasn't able to give you an answer then, but your entry was a  bit too far off-topic for this week's theme. Regardless, it was still very good, so an honorable mention goes to you as well.

Hmm, Iced Fairy got me in the mood for some comedy, but perhaps that'd better be suited for next week-- I've got quite an evil topic waiting in the wings. >:D But for now, this week's challenge is the silent terror that assaults our pastoral Gensokyo:
April 19, 2010: ?Youkai Practices Animal Abuse!?

X Month X Day, at around 26 o'clock, I suddenly heard a cry similar to that of a fox's. It did not seem like a trifling matter, so I rubbed my sleepy eyes and headed for the scene. When I arrived, I saw in front of me a fox being dominated, a truly shocking view of animal abuse. As I am a crow tengu, this case is extremely heart-wrenching.
Article and Interview with Yakumo Yukari, from Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red

Gensokyo is a land of youkai, but those youkai are many and varied. Some are humanoid youkai, some are magicians, satori, or personified elements. And some are animal-based. In this week's challenge, you will write a fiction piece about one of these animal youkai-- no karakasa, no satori, no fairies, no Lunarians except for moon rabbits-- and a day in their life, ordinary or otherwise. If they have a master, then their relationship with their master is fair game, but in the case of youkai like Mystia or Wriggle, it's perfectly valid to just write about their day.

If you're confused about whether or not your chosen character is an animal youkai, then consult the TouhouWiki and if it doesn't give you the answer you want, then come see me.
Spoiler:
Yes, there is a hidden bonus here; there is a specific animal youkai(?) that I would love to see fiction for. If you figure it out, then feel free to use it in your story, though it is not required~ And as a hint to its identity, it should be fairly recent in the news!
[/sub]

Hope you enjoy the challenge. Have fun writing, folks!

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
Congrats IcedFairy~
And keep up the good work, Rou and Theshim.

For this weeks challenge, I'd really love to see our writers try their skills on some of the less popular animal youkai. There's some obvious choices for animal youkai/ master relations that are almost overused.
Of course, judging will take place impartial to that, but it'd be nice to see some fresh winds~

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »
Hooray!  Back in action!  It's great fun to see what everyone else comes up with for these little challenges, and they're a great source of ideas.

I've already got my subject for this one, though I very much doubt it's the specific one being sought, I think it might be decently uncommon a story.  We'll see...

theshirn

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:16 PM »
Spoiler:
no I will not write one for Genji

« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2010, 02:51:45 AM »
Oh wow, I'm so behind on this. I was just starting my holiday thing, I didn't even realize the deadline was yesterday. ;_;

An Odd Sea Slug

• Only the best.
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:52 AM »
I might do something this week, not sure though. Depends on how tired I am after work along with how lazy I'm feeling.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2010, 06:12:32 AM »
I am going to get myself to write this entry for this week!! 

I hope I learned something during Spring Break.
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
This challenge is right up my ally (if Mystic Mutation was any indication), there are alot of animal youkai I wanted to see in Touhou that...aren't really there so this'll be a good chance to plug them in there.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Dead Princess Sakana

« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
~ WARNING! A huge battleship "DEADLINE" is approaching fast! ~

Just as a little reminder for all of you writers to finish your entries in time, since you might have gotten distracted by MotK's birthday. I'm looking forward to some nice things to read soon~  :)