Author Topic: Ask a Staffer Ep. 6 - Purvis  (Read 33349 times)

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: Ask a Staffer Ep. 6 - Purvis
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
Favored Race/background/god in Crawl?

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2011, 06:35:31 PM »
What is your idea of a relaxing vacation?

What is your favourite kind of candy, if any?

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
That's actually fairly public knowledge, Rou. But I'll let him answer cause it'll be hilarious

What is the most irredeemably evil thing you have ever heard of happening, ever?

What is the most irredeemably evil thing you've actually encountered in a way that directly affects you?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2011, 07:19:47 PM »
Why can't we have nice things?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
What video game systems do you own?

What is your opinion on kiwi birds?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2011, 08:39:28 PM »
You called?

Depends, are you the pizza guy?

Question that may verge on sensitive - roughly how old are you? I have a mental image of you as a guy in his 50s or something. :V

Old enough to technically have sired Slaves. The age in my profile is correct.

Favored Race/background/god in Crawl?

Ooooh. Background-wise, I enjoy Chaos Knights of Lugonu for the flavor, but Crusaders are probably my favorite for survivablity since they take Lair from theoretically possible to actually possible. Favorite race is kobold, but I enjoy ghouls too. And merfolk, for the mobility and being completely crazy eights in polearms. Favorite god is harder. I like Okawaru for all the free junk, Nemelex for completely changing the game and also for making ghoul monks actually able to survive early mid game.  Trog is a favorite, due to my first victory. Lugonu is neat, if not all that realistically great. But the best is Beogh. The day they nerf Beogh in anything ever is the day Crawl stops being worth it at all, Beogh is the most distinctive and defining thing about the game.

What is your idea of a relaxing vacation?

Hm. I imagine one that is completely free of stress, but has cool things to do pretty much whenever I feel like, at all times of day. Preferably with a lot of friends around.

What is your favourite kind of candy, if any?

With eating candies, it's Reese's Pieces. Oh god, i could eat them for meals. When it comes to hard candies, it's root beer barrels. I probably did extensive tooth damage to myself with those back when I had easy access to them, I'd go through several a day.

What is the most irredeemably evil thing you have ever heard of happening, ever?

History is broad and deep, and after a point you stop ranking things and just realize after a certain point is crossed it's just fucking awful.

What is the most irredeemably evil thing you've actually encountered in a way that directly affects you?

Reaganomics
Why can't we have nice things?

Reaganomics.

What video game systems do you own?

NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Dreamcast, Gameboy, Gameboy SP, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy DS, Genesis Nomad (scavenged, no idea if it works). Used to have an Atari 7800 but it's kinda borked.

What is your opinion on kiwi birds?

Kiwi Kraze/New Zealand Story was hella cute.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
When there's something strange in my neighborhood, who should I call?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »
What's your opinion on the current state of space exploration?

You house is on fire, what do you do?

Are you against using ghosts to make cheap refrigerators?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »
Ever had any potentially paranormal experiences?

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2011, 10:02:47 PM »
Would you... touch it for me?
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
When there's something strange in my neighborhood, who should I call?

Ghost Nappa.

What's your opinion on the current state of space exploration?

There's some interesting things being considered, but it won't be Americastan what does them, we're too busy devoting over 50% of our budget to killing brown people and slashing social safety nets because brown people benefit from them too.

You house is on fire, what do you do?

How on fire? Do I have enough time to carry something out? If so I'll try to grab my portable HD, or my tower if I think I can do it and get out in time. They's expensive and got lots of stuff =[

This presumes no one else is in any trouble, though.

Are you against using ghosts to make cheap refrigerators?

It is practically canon.

Ever had any potentially paranormal experiences?

Probably, but I don't recall them. I do remember being really young, though, and having difficulty telling somewhat realistic dreams from reality though. That being said, one doesn't need to have such experiences to be oddly superstitious about some things; I still find it hard to walk down a country road alone at night, for instance =[

Would you... touch it for me?

Don't you think you're trying way too hard at this point? You should take a break.

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:47 PM »
Carpeting or wood floors? Or something else entirely?

Do you enjoy putting together jigsaw puzzles?

What's the best movie you've seen recently, or the one that sticks out the most in recent memory?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2011, 11:08:58 PM »
Like horror films of any kind?
                                                                                   .

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »
Carpeting or wood floors? Or something else entirely?

I like carpeting, it's nice on my feet, and doesn't splinter when fucked up. But given spills, wood is probably better for me. My computer chair has tore the shit out of my floor, though.

\
Do you enjoy putting together jigsaw puzzles?

I help Grandma every now and then with hers. Used to do it a lot as a kid.

What's the best movie you've seen recently, or the one that sticks out the most in recent memory?

Do the TTGL movies count? I enjoyed them. With western stuff, I finally watched Stargate, which I enjoyed largely due to the series. Also watched Six-String Samurai, which was pretty neat. But as I mentioned, I tend not to like most movies, typically they're one of the worst storytelling mediums in my opinion.

Like horror films of any kind?

Typically no. But I enjoyed Alien. Either they tend t be lame, or they make my superstitious scared of the dark ass too jumpy.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »
Can I have a dollar?

Two dollars?

... Threeeee dollars?

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
What is the best way of getting rid of someone who's asking a hobo for money?
                                                                                   .

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »
What's the best way to ignore people handing out flyers on the street?

Any fun festivals take place in your area?

Do you believe in multiverse theory?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2011, 01:48:49 AM »
Can I have a dollar?

Two dollars?

... Threeeee dollars?

More like you give me a dollar, nerd.

What is the best way of getting rid of someone who's asking a hobo for money?

Shive 'em in the yarbles with a rusty brtiva!

What's the best way to ignore people handing out flyers on the street?

Pretend you are talking on a cellphone, and loudly talk about how some furry or scientologist is trying to proposition you.

Any fun festivals take place in your area?

Well, there's the Brookville community picnic, which I go to visit the food booths and look at all the steam engines the Darke County Steam Threshers displays there.

Do you believe in multiverse theory?

This means a lot of things. Elaborate.

>_

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »
You meet with yourself. What do

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2011, 02:03:53 AM »
You suddenly get an opportunity to build a summer house in Gensokyo, anywhere you like.  Where do you put it?

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2011, 02:22:38 AM »
Preferred sword type?
                                                                                   .

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2011, 02:58:29 AM »
>_

> Inventory
> Quests
> Is Kourindou open?

What is your opinion of Barack Obama?

Muscle, Mysticality, or Moxie?

If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2011, 03:31:48 AM »
What's the story with you going to the hospital? Did everything turn out alright? I was only around for part of it. :ohdear:

Would you mind selling RP'ing to those of us who have been anything BUT sold on the idea?

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2011, 04:08:28 AM »
Do you like stand-up comedy?  If so, anyone in particular?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2011, 06:59:49 AM »
Potentially invasive: What do you typically carry around every day? Your wallet, a knapsack, a backpack, a water bottle, some snacks, things of that nature?

When did you pick up your habit of playing in the rain?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »
Potentially invasive: What do you typically carry around every day? Your wallet, a knapsack, a backpack, a water bottle, some snacks, things of that nature?

Extension: What's in your bindle?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
Do you believe every universe that could exist, does exist? (Whether it be something as simple as going left when you went right to something as out there as everyone living on the moon instead.)

What kind of universe would you like to live in?

What's your primary motivation in life?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2011, 12:25:34 PM »
You meet with yourself. What do

Come up with a scam.

You suddenly get an opportunity to build a summer house in Gensokyo, anywhere you like.  Where do you put it?

I would put it in human town. That way it has the smallest chance of becoming a faerie clubhouse, oni gambling den, haunted, or so on while I'm not there. As well, I stand the smallest chance of being youkai'd in the middle of the night, and have the largest chance of a problem solver saving my bacon if it does happen. Not mention at least a couple of the cooler youkai (Keine, Ran) come to town anyways, so I can meet and buddy up with them in good time.

Preferred sword type?

I like sabres. Longer, lighter blades in general.

> Inventory
> Quests
> Is Kourindou open?

>Your inventory contains:
>One Computer Device
>One internet connection
>An I/O device
>Your Quests are:
>Crapfully yours, Crap for Crap
>You are tasked with asking Purvis some questions. Some good ones.
>You can't afford Kourindou.

What is your opinion of Barack Obama?

I largely regard him as a traitor to the left. He has repeatedly failed to take a stance on leftist causes, which would do a lot to rally his own goddamn party to actually try to represent those ideals in Congress and keep people convinced that such things are actually possible. Remember back when he had his team drafting up actions he could take immediately upon taking office? Remember how many of them he actually did? While I never really expected a left-wing revolution or a New New Deal, being well aware of how the right wing machine works, I was kind of hoping he would at least make the effort to advocate it loudly and keep the flame alive. Instead he really doesn't go up to bat at all and pretty much enervates the base by demonstrating he doesn't give enough of a shit to do what he was elected to do. Then he continues to ape Republican ideals, like a the goddamn spending freeze on everything but military (can't cut out the far the hugest sinkhole!) like McCain proposed in...was it September of '08? August? Onna those months. This all said, I'll probably still hold my nose and vote for him in November of '12 just because he'll almost certainly be technically preferable to whatever combination of Gingrich/Palin/Arpaio the right wing comes up with to loudly blame the debt they created onto the Democrats and gleefully cheer along corporatism.

Muscle, Mysticality, or Moxie?

Muscle ascensions used to be the funnest, til the Nemesis Quest was finished and the seal clubbers got a goddamn nightmare. Nowadays I like-a the Saucerors. But in reality? Moxie all the way.

If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?

There's much too many places to visit that I could narrow it down. I suppose I'd like to see Angkor Wat, but not with a tour group, just one of the resident monks to show me around. And he
speaks good Englitch. Preferably one full of little stories about foibles after daily life there, and history of such. That'd be pretty sweet.

What's the story with you going to the hospital? Did everything turn out alright? I was only around for part of it. :ohdear:

So back in spring of '06, I started to get these horrible pains in my torso. I go to the ER on monday night, they give me a once-over, don't find anything and suggest maybe I had some reflex and give me some prilosec. Two days later, it happens again. This time, they actually do a more intensive scan rather than suggesting I'm a liar/padding the bill, and they find out my gall bladder was working at about 30% efficiency. They discover this at about 10:30. About noon, they have me in surgery. I get a 25000 or so bill. County services looks at it, and pretty much gives me no shit about nullifying the surgery costs at all, immediately agreeing there's no way I could possibly afford it. This leaves me with about 2000 dollars or so of doctor costs I still couldn't afford. So...I just signed my car over to my mom, and waited for the knee-breakers to show up. So far they haven't.

Would you mind selling RP'ing to those of us who have been anything BUT sold on the idea?

I probably can't. If the idea of creating your own character, and running them through a dynamic world and a dynamic story where you have a high degree of freedom doesn't appeal to you, then I can't really think of anything to say that would change your mind. The only thing I could do after that is obligate you to try it, and wow your pants off with the process.

Do you like stand-up comedy?  If so, anyone in particular?

I used to, back in the time before I had internet and still watched TV. George Carlin was a favorite. I've got no idea who's out there now, but between the things I hear about the likes of Carlos Mencia, Dennis Leary, and other comedians whose names reach my ear when paying what scant attention I do (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Abridged guy likes his stand up comedians, so I've encountered some things while looking into references), I'm largely not impressed.

Extension: What's in your bindle?

Depends. Typically I'll have my driver's license, and a fuel cardif I have one (my grans get me those for Christmas) or fuel money if I need it. If I'm out to purchase something, I'll have the cash I think I'll need; these are uncommon trips. If I'm going to visit someone, I bring the bindle. It contains pretty much all of my DS games (friends like to borrow them, and I like to borrow their stuff), a change of clothes in case I decide to stay over (which I often do), some common pain relieves, sudafeds, and antacids because they tend to be necessary sooner or later, and my DS (or GBA SP if I have a need of that). If I intend to stay out for a day or so, I'll often bring a two gallon travel jug of water with me; most of the places I visit have awful tap water.

When did you pick up your habit of playing in the rain?

Rain looks neat. Umbrellas are fun. I've probably believed this most of my life. That said, I've also scaled back on that; I've explored most of the areas around me pretty thoroughly, which makes roving around at random less fun.

Do you believe every universe that could exist, does exist? (Whether it be something as simple as going left when you went right to something as out there as everyone living on the moon instead.)

God I hope not. If every moral decision I made had the bad result happen elsewhere anyways, that would be an exceedingly terrible place to live. You might as well not try, because it wouldn't make a difference anyways in the grand scheme of things.

What kind of universe would you like to live in?

I'll be boring and say one without poverty, war, or general systematic suffering. I like not having to be angry at my fellow man for being selfish, callous shitholes.

What's your primary motivation in life?

I try to be less unpleasant and more thoughtful than the "average" person, figuring if I can at least do that I can justify the various debts racked up as a consequence of existing vs not existing at all.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
I used to, back in the time before I had internet and still watched TV. George Carlin was a favorite. I've got no idea who's out there now, but between the things I hear about the likes of Carlos Mencia, Dennis Leary, and other comedians whose names reach my ear when paying what scant attention I do (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Abridged guy likes his stand up comedians, so I've encountered some things while looking into references), I'm largely not impressed.
Yeah, those are horrible examples.  Carlos Mencia had everyone shit on him once it came to light that he stole jokes wholesale.  Dennis Leary gets the shaft for lifting a lot of his material from Bill Hicks, even while he was still alive.  Dane Cook was big a few years ago, but he was also found to be stealing jokes, and people wised up to his horrible delivery.  I think with a few exceptions (Patton Oswalt for one) material from after the 90s is weaksauce. 

Aside from your DS/GBASP do you play many video games? 
What do you dislike about film as a medium?

Alfred F. Jones

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »
Do you play any instruments? If you don't, which instrument would you like to play?

What was so bad about Reaganomics?

Do you prefer reading manga or watching anime?

What is your opinion on Dubya?