Author Topic: Jojo's Bizarre Grail War Part 3: A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 224739 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Jojo's Bizarre Grail War Part 3: A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 01:24:15 AM »
> "Well, someone might show up sooner or later. Let's hang around for an hour or so."

>"Alright," Archer sends. "Are we going to do anything?"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 02:02:07 AM »
> "Not particularly...we'll just walk around town and see if we can find anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there's something I'm missing."
> "Oh, I guess now's a good chance to find some good Wall rocks..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:04 AM »
> "Not particularly...we'll just walk around town and see if we can find anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there's something I'm missing."
> "Oh, I guess now's a good chance to find some good Wall rocks..."

>"Sounds like a good idea," Archer sends back. "Honestly, I don't think any enemy magi are going to try to do anything until nightfall, this isn't like those isolated mountains our that woods no one cares about."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 03:46:59 AM »
> Walk the beach for a while and collect some stones while we're at it.
> If nothing interesting happens, let's go take a stroll through town, no doubt lined with shops in a tourist area such as this.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 04:27:36 AM »
> Walk the beach for a while and collect some stones while we're at it.
> If nothing interesting happens, let's go take a stroll through town, no doubt lined with shops in a tourist area such as this.

>You make your way down the beach, looking for stones. There's actually quite a few good ones here; you suppose having the ocean nearly to smooth out rocks helps quite a bit. It doesn't take long to to find a a good eight or so, enough to weight your purse down a tad with everything else in it.
>Walking around, you find a number of chintzy chain restaurants, a few diners that are no less crass, some hotels, a couple of churches belonging to various denominations of Christianity, a little amusement park by the beach called Funland, and a nice park a couple blocks in from the ocean, as well as a surprisingly middle-class-ish neighborhood all around it.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
> Stop at the park.
> "Nothing to see here, I guess...not yet, anyway. Lemme sit down for a sec and we'll head back to the car."
> Check the news on our phone. Any developments this morning?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »
> Stop at the park.
> "Nothing to see here, I guess...not yet, anyway. Lemme sit down for a sec and we'll head back to the car."
> Check the news on our phone. Any developments this morning?

>You take a moment to rest on a park bench. You aren't exactly winded, but it is nice to take a break and a load off.
>"I think they'll probably be laying low, like we are," says Archer. "I haven't felt any other servants nearby, though."
>Checking the news, there doesn't seem to have been anything eye-grabbing going on at the moment.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
> ~*~wistful sigh~*
> "Hey Archer, are you looking forward to the next battle? Do you like fighting?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 10:59:20 PM »
> ~*~wistful sigh~*
> "Hey Archer, are you looking forward to the next battle? Do you like fighting?"

>"Despite what you might think," says Archer. "I could happily live the rest of my life without getting shot at or some old nasty weirdo trying to hit me with a cane or whatever Berserker or Lancer do."

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »
> "Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm just wondering if it was foolish of me to think the Grail War would be anything other than a bloodbath."
> "I had taken for granted that we'd at least be able to find the Grail, if not the Overseer, but now that we've hit a dead end...I'm not sure there's any way forward other than either picking a fight with another master or waiting for them to come to us."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 11:27:54 PM »
> "Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm just wondering if it was foolish of me to think the Grail War would be anything other than a bloodbath."
> "I had taken for granted that we'd at least be able to find the Grail, if not the Overseer, but now that we've hit a dead end...I'm not sure there's any way forward other than either picking a fight with another master or waiting for them to come to us."

>"Well, we've not really looked for any kind of overseer," says Archer.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 11:31:55 PM »
> "W-well...I'm not really sure how to go about that. I don't know if it's something I'd be able to sense even if I saw them."
> "I just kind of imagined walking into some kind of secret room with the Grail in it, and there they'd be, saying, 'Hello, I'm the overseer'!"
> Do we know ANYTHING about Grail War formalities for this kind of thing? Are we entitled to know who the overseer is?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 12:32:38 AM »
> "W-well...I'm not really sure how to go about that. I don't know if it's something I'd be able to sense even if I saw them."
> "I just kind of imagined walking into some kind of secret room with the Grail in it, and there they'd be, saying, 'Hello, I'm the overseer'!"
> Do we know ANYTHING about Grail War formalities for this kind of thing? Are we entitled to know who the overseer is?"

>Archer chuckles. "I'm pretty sure we have to manifest the stupid thing, first."
>From what your research on the topic in the past suggests, the church historically oversees grail wars, having a very keen interest in finding the actual grail for the obvious reasons. As well, they have little to interest in actually being in the grail war, given their stance on magecraft, making them a useful neutral party.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:47 AM »
Admittedly my lack of knowledge in nasuverse may have caused some misconceptions about whether the Grail was a solid object we could actually locate or not.

> Suddenly sit up. "OH. I do know where to start. Why didn't I think of this sooner?"
> There are a bunch of churches around - are there any that look like they've been around for a particularly long time?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2018, 02:10:55 AM »
> Suddenly sit up. "OH. I do know where to start. Why didn't I think of this sooner?"
> There are a bunch of churches around - are there any that look like they've been around for a particularly long time?

>"Hm?" says Archer.
>None of the ones you have seen looked especially old.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2018, 02:27:34 AM »
> "The overseer is usually someone from the church."
> "There's about a half dozen of them around here, but checking them all won't take too long."
> Make our way towards the nearest one.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 04:19:41 AM »
> "The overseer is usually someone from the church."
> "There's about a half dozen of them around here, but checking them all won't take too long."
> Make our way towards the nearest one.

>It's a bit of a walk, but you find your way to St. Edmund's Catholic Church. It's a little stone thing, sitting on the corner of two neighborhood streets, partially obscured by a large tree. You find the front doors are open, and you head inside. Inside it looks, well, like just about any church. Clean carpeted floors, rows of pews stretching out toward a pulpit in the back. Stained glass windows dot the side walls, while large windows over the entryway let in much of the light. You catch a young man in cassock, who is busy pushing around a floor sweeper.
>"Ah, hello, hello, bless you!" he calls as he sets the sweeper aside and quickly makes he way toward you. "What can I do for you today, my child?"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 04:45:17 AM »
> "Hi, are you the pastor here? Er, 'reverend'? 'Father'? Sorry, I don't know my Catholic stuff too well!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 04:55:34 AM »
> "Hi, are you the pastor here? Er, 'reverend'? 'Father'? Sorry, I don't know my Catholic stuff too well!"

>"Hahah, no worries," he says. waving a hand. "Father will do, there's no need to worry. What can I do for you?"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 05:08:18 AM »
> "I'm, uh...you see..." Gesture meaninglessly while articulating our cover story.
> "I'm on a sort of scavenger hunt! I'm supposed to look for someone called the 'overseer', who gives out the instructions, and they're supposed to be at a church around here..."
> "Doesn't that sound weird? Don't be surprised if somebody else asks you about it. So, uh, are you the...'overseer'?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:29 AM »
> "I'm, uh...you see..." Gesture meaninglessly while articulating our cover story.
> "I'm on a sort of scavenger hunt! I'm supposed to look for someone called the 'overseer', who gives out the instructions, and they're supposed to be at a church around here..."
> "Doesn't that sound weird? Don't be surprised if somebody else asks you about it. So, uh, are you the...'overseer'?"

>The priest frowns and tilts his head. "I'm not quite sure what you mean..." he says. Then his eyebrows raise. "Ah, hmm...Could you wait here just a moment, please?"

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2018, 05:31:58 AM »
> Nod.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
> Nod.

>The priest bustles off.
>"Not at all suspicious, that," Archer says as she plops down on a pew.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2018, 05:46:59 AM »
> Send: "Well, so are we."
> "I can't think of anyone besides another master that we'd need to be worried about, though."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:45 AM »
> Send: "Well, so are we."
> "I can't think of anyone besides another master that we'd need to be worried about, though."

>"Oh, yeah, I'm not worried or anything," Archer sends. "Just wow, that was something. Hope he's not a gambler."
>Minutes pass by. It's difficult not to wonder just what is happening. You're aware that the Church formally does not approve of Magi, but Magi are such a tiny concern compared to other things that are of greater interest, or at least greater threats, that realistically they just leave magi alone; especially since it would be a problem to get on the bad side of the Magic Association. Though you have heard stories of them going after particularly nasty rogue or harmful magi. That's not you, right..?
>Nearly 15 minutes go by before the priest steps back out. He approaches and gives you a piece of paper. "Sister Gibson would like to meet with you at Salt Air. It's down Wilmington Ave, to the north, in about 20 minutes." Checking the paper, you see that it says largely that; there is an address for the place.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2018, 02:21:24 PM »
> "Thank you very much, father. I'll be on my way."
> Nod politely, then head back out.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 09:22:16 PM »
> "Thank you very much, father. I'll be on my way."
> Nod politely, then head back out.

>You nod politely, if a bit awkwardly, and make your way out. "I hope that helps," he says as you leave.
>"Not suspicious at all," Archer reiterates as you return to the street.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2018, 11:11:17 PM »
> "It's a lead, and that's more than I was expecting. Let's go meet this Sister Gibson."
> "What's 'Salt Air', though...?"
> Look it up on our phone.
> "Oh. This looks, uh, out of our price range."
> "Well, let's go see her, at least."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »
> "It's a lead, and that's more than I was expecting. Let's go meet this Sister Gibson."
> "What's 'Salt Air', though...?"
> Look it up on our phone.
> "Oh. This looks, uh, out of our price range."
> "Well, let's go see her, at least."

>Archer leans in to have a look. "Wow, that's pricey, isn't it?" she says. "Who're they trying to fool? We could get a whole lot of the kinds of things we already had for this price."
>You start making your way northward. ...Doing this in 20 minutes may be difficult. Not impossible, you think, but you're going to have to keep a steady pace.

>_

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2018, 11:33:44 PM »
> Would it be faster to get the car?