Author Topic: Riddle Me This  (Read 22796 times)

master105

• Don't worry, Crest Worms... I will (ahn~♥) protect you...
  • I can prove your not here.
Riddle Me This
« on: October 20, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
So while my friends and I were playing cards when I Started asking riddles, only two people there were able to solve most of them. So i wonder how you guys will fare. lets find out.

ill start with an easy one.

A man and his wife are dead. If the man had had just one quarter, his wife would have lived. if he had two quarters, he would have lived. if he had had three quarters both the man and his wife would of lived, but his brother would have died. Why?

hints
1) The man had discovered that his brother intended to kill him and his wife.

Answer:
Spoiler:
He was attempting to phone for help in a phone booth. His brother was with his wife. With one quarter he could call his wife to save her from the immediate danger, with two quarters he could call for a ride to save himself, with three he could call the police.

2) Two people wearing helmets drank some cool beer and then died. If they had drunk warm beer, they would of lived. What happened?

hints:
A) They did not get drunk. No vehicles were involved.
B) They slowly drank some beer and suffocated to death.
C) They wanted to keep there beer cold. Very cold. They also didnt want the bottles to be wet.
D) "hey that cave looks interesting!"

Answer:
Spoiler:
they went splunking and had the beers in a cooler, which they had dry ice in. the dry ice melted, turning tinto Carbon Dioxide. because carbon dioxide is denser than air, it drove the oxygen out of the small low area of the cave they were in, suffocating them.

3) The most expensive car ever made is for sale. Although many people want to own it and can afford to buy it, nobody will do so. Why?

hints:
A)The car was used once and is in good condition, but it has not been driven for many years.
B) Most people have seen it on TV, but they can't name the man who drove it.
C)Its is not associated with any celebrity or with any remarkable historical event or tragedy, though when it was driven it was a special event at the time.
D) yes, this car actually exists.

Answer:
Spoiler:
The car is actually used for space expedition on the moon and it was kept on the moon for many years. Although many people want to buy it but "shipping is not included" and NASA is putting it on sale only as a joke.

4) A woman going a journey used a driver. Then she stopped and used a club to hit a large bird. She was very pleased. Why?

Answer:
Spoiler:
She was playing golf and hit an Eagle, two under par and a very good score.

5) What can go from there to here by disappearing and then go from here to there by appearing?

Answer:
Spoiler:
the letter "t"

6) What three-letter word complets the first word and startd the second?
                                       DON        CAR

Answer:
Spoiler:
Key. it completes the word donkey, and a key stars a car.

7) A man was determined to kill him self. He stood on top of a seaside clif and tied a noose around his neck and tied the other end of the rope to a branch on a near by tree. Then the man drank poison and set fire to his clothes. he had a gun ready to shoot himself. He jumped from the cliff and fired the gun. The man survived, How?

Answer: (one of many)
Spoiler:
He misses with the bullet, which hits and severs the rope. He falls into the water, extinguishing the flames. The poison either wasn't a lethal dose or was too much and induced vomiting.

8.) Approximately how many house bricks does it take to complete a brick house in England?

Answer:
Spoiler:
One :| (The last one!)

If a white man threw a black stone into the Red Sea, what would it become?

Answer:
Spoiler:
Wet

10) I am as light as a feather, yet no man can hold me for long. What am I?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:56:36 PM by master105 »

ActionDan

• Teaching old dogs new tricks
Re: Riddle Me This
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »
I like riddles of all kinds, although I like the kind of narrative ones most.  Ones in which the audience has to ask questions to figure it out.

I haven't thought of an answer yet, but I would like to know if we are allowed to ask questions.

For example, "Does 'quarter' refer to the monetary unit of currency representing 0.25 USD?"

Don't lynch me.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
>would of
Pet peeve detected.

What would have happened if the man had had four quarters/a whole?

master105

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 06:24:49 PM »
but I would like to know if we are allowed to ask questions.
For example, "Does 'quarter' refer to the monetary unit of currency representing 0.25 USD?"

well ill give you guys 3 hints for each riddle if you so wish.

and yes that is what 'quarter' refers to. (this does not count as a hint).

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:45:54 PM »
How many quarters did the man actually have, or are we assuming that he had 0?

master105

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
How many quarters did the man actually have, or are we assuming that he had 0?

the man is dead so he had no quarters, if he had some ether him or his wife or both would of survied.

i think ill give you guys a hint.

Bardiche

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
Ignoring me then, eh. Well then, working from the information here...

Let us state that each life is a quarter. Therefore,

1 Qt = 1 Life

We assume the wife is pregnant, and thus she accounts for two lives. As they are married, the wife and man are vowed to eachother and belong to eachother. Now then, if the man does not have any quarters, then it stands to reason neither his wife, nor his child, nor he himself can survive. If he had a quarter, then he could purchase his own life, as the wife and unborn child come as a set.

Two quarters buys him the wife + child set. However, if he has three, he can buy ALL THREE lives! However, someone must die in order for the child to be birthed: he and his wife are wed and belong to eachother, and so share a quarter each. If he has two quarters, then he himself dies and the child can be born, inhering the man's quarter.

If he wants to life AND have his wife and child, he must therefore take another quarter from somewhere, and that source is his brother.

Does that come close? :V

Drake

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »
He was attempting to phone for help in a phone booth. His brother was with his wife. With one quarter he could call his wife to save her from the immediate danger, with two quarters he could call for a ride to save himself, with three he could call the police.

i dunno

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

master105

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
Ignoring me then, eh. Well then, working from the information here...

Let us state that each life is a quarter. Therefore,

1 Qt = 1 Life

We assume the wife is pregnant, and thus she accounts for two lives. As they are married, the wife and man are vowed to eachother and belong to eachother. Now then, if the man does not have any quarters, then it stands to reason neither his wife, nor his child, nor he himself can survive. If he had a quarter, then he could purchase his own life, as the wife and unborn child come as a set.

Two quarters buys him the wife + child set. However, if he has three, he can buy ALL THREE lives! However, someone must die in order for the child to be birthed: he and his wife are wed and belong to eachother, and so share a quarter each. If he has two quarters, then he himself dies and the child can be born, inhering the man's quarter.

If he wants to life AND have his wife and child, he must therefore take another quarter from somewhere, and that source is his brother.

Does that come close? :V

this is the most unique answer ive gotten for this riddle. but alas no.

i dunno

.... and we have a winner people.

lets see if you can make it two for two. new Riddle added. (shortly)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »
Eh I was cut but I'm posting this anyway:

Oh, I didn't try using ~imagination~. Let's try this again.

The brother's a cannibal. You're stuck in a cage with your wife. You can only get out by bribing the guard with... quarters. One for females, two for males. You're a selfish human being, so you'll save yourself first. Therefore...

One quarter: Your wife escapes, the brother eats you.
Two quarters: You escape, the brother eats your wife.
Three quarters: You both escape, your brother starves to death.

Yep.

ActionDan

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:53:26 AM »
nice. I was thinking of parking meters earlier.

Is the brother gonna kill his wife or something?

Don't lynch me.

master105

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:56:48 AM »
well you got to get creative with some of these riddles. Manly because they give you so little to work with,

Is the brother gonna kill his wife or something?

yes, he was. stupid pay phones and there pay per mintute.

anyway new riddle up, check the first post.

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:22:36 AM »
Why are the police the most expensive to call? :/

Anyway, for the new riddle, here's a random guess : They poured the beer into their helmets to drink, but their helmets were dirty, and had bacteria that could've been killed by heating up the drink. :UU

Also,
>would of
Pet peeve detected.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
For the sake of sanity use "would have" instead of "would of" next time. :V

Anyway, poison in the ice cubes or something.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.

ActionDan

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 01:32:01 AM »
hmm.  they were underwater, wearing helmets and drinking beer through a tube.  The beer was cold, so it either froze or was more viscous, blocking air from reaching them.

Long shot, but w.e.

Don't lynch me.

master105

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 01:53:19 AM »
For the sake of sanity use "would have" instead of "would of" next time. :V

Anyway, poison in the ice cubes or something.

i "would have" to say you are incorrect.

hmm.  they were underwater, wearing helmets and drinking beer through a tube.  The beer was cold, so it either froze or was more viscous, blocking air from reaching them.

your on the right track. so much so that ill give you another hint.

Drake

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 02:13:56 AM »
Why are the police the most expensive to call? :/
Wasn't necessarily that they were the most expensive, but that they were the furthest away. The pay phone is pay-per-minute or some such thing, so the first person you would call is your wife if she were with the brother, then someone to save you, then the police to arrest the brother. Of course the specifics are a bit wonky, but I was pretty sure the answer was correct or at least was similar to the correct one.

Uh, this one I'm going to have to think about a bit. Doesn't immediately make sense.

EDIT:
As for this one, seeing as they were in a place where the cold of the beer is what killed them, but they suffocated instead of freezing or something, it would have to be somewhere isolated where the temperature of the beer is coincidentally low as well. Maybe in space; they'd be wearing helmets then.
My guess is that they were somewhere enclosed (such as underwater or in space where they would wear helmets), and cooled the beer with dry ice, which of course would have suffocated them once it turned into gas.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:57:35 AM by Drake »

ActionDan

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 05:38:48 AM »
I like drake's observation.  It goes with the "they don't want the bottle's wet" part.

Perhaps the "wetness" they fear is from condensation, which would happen more readily if the beer was warm.  I keep wondering if A) pure sodium is involved B) if this has to do with freezing points of water/beer and C) Why they are drinking beer.

Going with the space theory.  They are astronauts who wanted to enjoy beer that wasn't originally in liquid form (because space food is tightly sealed or w/e).  Somehow they fucked up after that.  I got nothing after that.

Don't lynch me.

Drake

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
Obviously they wanted to drink the beer cold in the most literal way possible and buried themselves in the snow, soon dying from lack of air. The helmet being worn is a beer hat so they can drink while buried.

:D

master105

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 02:43:55 PM »
Obviously they wanted to drink the beer cold in the most literal way possible and buried themselves in the snow, soon dying from lack of air. The helmet being worn is a beer hat so they can drink while buried.

:D

while this answer is better than the one I got involing a canoe, it is still incorrect.

last hint added.

ActionDan

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
hmmm.  So let's say they were hiking up a mountain, with snow everywhere.  They walked into a ice cave.  The entrance collasped with no way to get out.  All they had to drink was beer.  They had helmets on originally to keep out the snow.  They wanted to keep the beer cold to avoid condensation--> freezing the water because that takes up some oxygen (H2O).  But they got hypothermia and ended up having to breath a ton more air anyway for their bodies to generate internal heat to survive.  Then they suffocated.

Don't lynch me.

master105

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
EDIT:
As for this one, seeing as they were in a place where the cold of the beer is what killed them, but they suffocated instead of freezing or something, it would have to be somewhere isolated where the temperature of the beer is coincidentally low as well. Maybe in space; they'd be wearing helmets then.
My guess is that they were somewhere enclosed (such as underwater or in space where they would wear helmets), and cooled the beer with dry ice, which of course would have suffocated them once it turned into gas.
correct.  they went splunking and had the beers in a cooler, which they had dry ice in. the dry ice melted, turning tinto Carbon Dioxide. because carbon dioxide is denser than air, it drove the oxygen out of the small low area of the cave they were in, suffocating them.

though the Space theroy would of worked to.

ill put up another one shortly.

Edit: i didnt see your edit the first time. my bad
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:41:31 PM by master105 »

ActionDan

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
The car is cursed.  It killed someone, or someone was murdered inside it.  Now it's haunted by the ghosts of the dead.

Or it's a dictator's car. 

Don't lynch me.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
If someone buys it, they set a price which allows another to sell another car for more than they bought the first, thus making the first buyer no longer owning "the most expensive car ever made."

Bardiche

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 05:01:59 PM »
Someone's threatened to kill whoever owns that particular car, and there is solid grounds for belief that the killer intends to follow through with it.

Alternatively, there's a law in effect that prohibits usage of Communist cars (or Mutant cars). The car is a Communist car, owning it would be treason, and that would be grounds for summary execution. But dang, it's a mighty fine car.

Alternate to alteranate: the present owner is a Communist and dealing with Communists is treason and grounds for summary execution. While everyone wants that damn car, they can't go and buy it because doing so is treasonous and grounds for summary execution.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:05:03 PM by Bardiche »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »
Riddle #3: Something managed to make the car stink to high heaven, quite possibly its former owner biting it at some point while still in it. That would explain it having a previous owner. It would also explain why the previous owner isn't specifically mentioned as the seller. As for the time gap between when it was last used and the selling time, that could be for a number of reasons after the poor sap bit it, but could be as simple as no one getting their hands on it for years after the death. The car would be in good enough condition to drive (technically), but no one would want it because of the smell. Replacing the parts that couldn't be cleaned enough would mean buying new parts, which probably means they aren't as good as the old ones, and extra money would have to be spent on them anyway. Even then, you would still have to clean it. If you had to throw away much of it and sell it for parts, it would probably be a net loss. 'Course, this is all assuming it was that bad in the first place. It could just be that something happened to make the car stink and no one wanted to touch it for years.

Riddle #2 'fridge' logic: Dry ice is -56 deg. C. Keeping it in a container that cold would cool the beers well below freezing, where they couldn't drink it at all. Silly guys.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

master105

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
while all your guys answers are clever and logical, they are not right. Thou Reddyne's answer is good enough to be correct, its not the answer to this partcular riddle. as the  new hints will tell.

besides, people WANT to buy the car. if it has a horibbl stench or is haunted, would you want to buy it?

ActionDan

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
Guess #1: It's the club car in Nantucket.

Guess #2: It's a stolen car/heist car and while people might want to drive it, it would get people into trouble with the police.

Guess #3:  People want to buy it, but somebody or something stops the transaction from going through, perhaps the owner.

Guess #4: The car was driven once in Rat race to test the land-speed-limit and is therefore fictional.  So no one can buy it even if they wanted too.  (Maybe the car was tested once in the real world and only models of the car are being sold, not the actual car.)

Don't lynch me.

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
The car lies on the bottom of the sea.

Alternatively, the car isn't literally a car.

Conqueror

• Here I am, dirty and faceless
  • waiting to heed your instruction
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
Because it's now a museum piece and the curators won't have people buying it.

Or it's government property and involves state secrets.

On tue un homme, on est un assassin. On tue des millions d'hommes, on est un conqu?rant. On les tue tous, on est un dieu.
Every saint has a past and every sinner a future.