Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)  (Read 94227 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)
« Reply #450 on: February 21, 2016, 05:05:29 AM »
>"Naw, shiny is for people with too much jewelry or bad fashion sense. Gaudy.You're not like that."

« Reply #451 on: February 21, 2016, 05:12:52 AM »
>"Naw, shiny is for people with too much jewelry or bad fashion sense. Gaudy.You're not like that."

>"But shiny is nice...." she pouts. "Don't I at least get to sparkle in the sunlight?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #452 on: February 21, 2016, 06:34:11 AM »
>"Sure, all kinds of things sparkle!"

« Reply #453 on: February 21, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »
>"Sure, all kinds of things sparkle!"

>"A sparkling, mysterious, multi-purpose magical doohickey...." she muses. "I don't suppose you've ever actually found anything like that yet, have you?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #454 on: February 21, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »
>"Not yet, really."

« Reply #455 on: February 21, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »
>"Not yet, really."

>"Well, I'm sure it's only a matter of time for a clever little Seeker like you."
>She flops back onto the pillows with a deeply contented sigh.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #456 on: February 21, 2016, 10:56:25 PM »
>Settle back in.
>"So...what are we going to do next?"

« Reply #457 on: February 21, 2016, 11:11:38 PM »
>Settle back in.
>"So...what are we going to do next?"

>You sink back into your own pillow; you'll worry about fixing the sheets later.
>Kyouko giggles. "You're not still hungry for more, are you?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2016, 12:46:08 AM »
>"Don't think I could handle it. ...I'm still not sure I have handled it. But I meant in the longer term."

« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2016, 01:02:33 AM »
>"Don't think I could handle it. ...I'm still not sure I have handled it. But I meant in the longer term."

>"Well, tomorrow we catch the ferry," she says, "and then the day after that we'll be back in Val Razua, and after that... I know you said you wanted to get back to Easthaven as quickly as you could." She seems a little wistful as she says this.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2016, 01:41:31 AM »
>"Not sure if I'll be staying there."

« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »
>"Not sure if I'll be staying there."

>"You mean you might come back out this way once things at home are straightened away?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2016, 02:47:12 AM »
>Nod.
>"If nothing else, this whole curse thing taught me who my friends were, and in particular who weren't my friends."

« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »
>Nod.
>"If nothing else, this whole curse thing taught me who my friends were, and in particular who weren't my friends."

>She frowns a little. "What do you mean?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #464 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:43 AM »
>"I don't wanna dwell on it, let's just say home became less welcoming than I remembered."

« Reply #465 on: February 23, 2016, 12:17:43 AM »
What exactly do you mean by that, Purvis? Apart from Yamame, obviously, and that, hopefully, should be a resolved situation.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #466 on: February 23, 2016, 01:36:20 AM »
Lotta people got shitty at Nazrin. Recall how half of her hometown tried to rip her off? Or all the shit that went down in Braston afterward? Nazrin's got reasons to be bitter.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:39:08 AM by Sivrup »

« Reply #467 on: February 23, 2016, 02:04:27 AM »
I think your recollections and mine are a bit different from each others. I'll admit that life hasn't been smooth for Naz, but she's met way more helpful people than harmful. Even the pirates went out of their way to try and give us an answer or two, though I still don't quite know why. A few bad memories? Sure. But 'bitter'? I think that's a bit harsh.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #468 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:23 AM »
Not helpful. Well-meaning. Very rarely was someone actually helpful, because the few who did ultimately not be an obstacle or general shitheel was powerless to do anything but wish us well. Nazrin has every reason to be extremely bitter. With the exception of like Momo, there was practically no one in Braston who was helpful or sympathetic outside of the Seeker's guild. Closest we got were the oni giving us a thumb's up for beating one of their own with a signboard.

« Reply #469 on: February 23, 2016, 02:50:52 AM »
So, what, sympathy counts for nothing with you? And let's not forget, we met the Maiden's crew in Braston. I'd say they were pretty helpful.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2016, 03:07:44 AM »
Sympathy doesn't mean much in the face of all the rest, no, given sympathy did little to get Nazrin healed, or comforted, or much of anything til she got to Valtown.  As for the Maiden, do recall that Murasa lied to her and used her and she put her life on the line for Murasa's sake because of that lie. Which was yet another case of Nazrin trying to do the right thing, and getting fairly shit on for it. Nazrin has very good reasons to be bitter about home these days, particularly in light how much better things kind of started to go once she left.

« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2016, 03:13:37 AM »
I think you and I have a very fundamental disagreement here. You see Nazrin as being bitter and angry at everything, and I see her as looking forward to going home to see the people she cares about. Which is going to be very confusing for Kyouko at least, to hear you say one thing and me say another.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #472 on: February 23, 2016, 03:30:37 AM »
I see her bitter and angry because she has lots to be bitter and angry about. She tried to do the right thing, was punished for it, and saw a very ugly side of the world when she needed help the most. Then the cycle repeated several times. Anyone would grow quite bitter about this.

THIS SAID: I think she would want to see the people she cares about. Just, I can't imagine she'd want to stay anymore or drag Kyouko there. Valtown's been much better to her, and holds more opportunity.

« Reply #473 on: February 23, 2016, 03:57:04 AM »
Punished? What? Cycle repeated? What?
(How'd I end up being the optimistic one here?)

Leaving that aside, I agree, at some point, Naz will end up back here in this city. As you said, all the opportunity is here. And I don't think she'd invite Kyouko back there, either. It's another story if Kyouko WANTS to go back with us, but she hasn't asked yet, and I hadn't planned on asking her. So we're not on all the wrong pages, you and I. I just didn't want to send conflicting signals to Kyouko here.
Perhaps something.... more neutral?

>"Let's just say there're some folks I'm looking forward to seeing more than others."

« Reply #474 on: February 23, 2016, 04:43:39 AM »
>"Let's just say there're some folks I'm looking forward to seeing more than others."

>Kyouko frowns sympathetically. "Is it something you want to talk about?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #475 on: February 23, 2016, 05:11:36 AM »
>Shake head. "Not right now."

« Reply #476 on: February 23, 2016, 05:21:34 AM »
>Shake head. "Not right now."

>She places an hand gently on your arm. "Well, if you ever change your mind, I'm here."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #477 on: February 23, 2016, 06:16:57 AM »
>"It's a story for later, but I'll tell it. It's not terribly exciting, really."

« Reply #478 on: February 23, 2016, 06:29:01 AM »
>"It's a story for later, but I'll tell it. It's not terribly exciting, really."

>"Don't wanna spoil the mood, hey?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #479 on: February 23, 2016, 06:57:03 AM »
>"Exactly."