Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)  (Read 94227 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »
>How long was it between when Kagerou left us and when we found the garden?
>"Well, I did find Yuuka's place eventually, though I had to hike *insert above time here*, and even then, I needed a bit more help to get there." Chuckle. "Picture this if you can. A fairy riding a goat, claiming to be a knight, found me."
>"But they actually knew where Yuuka's place was and led me right to it." Pause and shake head. "Now that I think about her, I kind of hope I see her back in town. Assuming she's not still on her epic quest for the.... how did she put it? The Overgoat."

>About three more days.
>"The... the what?"
>Kyouko giggles at Kagerou's reaction. Of course, she laughed even harder herself, the first time she heard this part of the story.

« Reply #301 on: February 08, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »
>"I promise, that's what she said. She was on a grand quest for the Overgoat. I think she had an adjective or two in front of it, but I've forgotten what they were."
>"She's attached to one of the noble houses of Val Razua, House Pardicas. They're a bit eccentric."

« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »
>"I promise, that's what she said. She was on a grand quest for the Overgoat. I think she had an adjective or two in front of it, but I've forgotten what they were."
>"She's attached to one of the noble houses of Val Razua, House Pardicas. They're a bit eccentric."

>"They're big on goats," Kyouko says. "There's a goat on the House crest, statues of goats all along the manor parapets, they've even got a whole squadron of satyr footmen. I, uh... I've never seen them do much besides stand around in uniform and flirt with pretty girls, but a couple of them are kinda cute.... I think the house has a big farming operation somewhere.... Their cheese isn't bad, if you like that sort of thing!"
>Kagerou takes this all in with a rather nonplussed expression. "This is... not exactly where I expected this story to go."
>"I wonder if the Overgoat actually exists?" Kyouko muses. "You know how fairies are sometimes."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:16:48 PM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »
>Satyr? Have we seen any of those?

« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »
>Satyr? Have we seen any of those?

>Not personally. You don't think they're very numerous; or at least not in your neck of the woods.

« Reply #305 on: February 08, 2016, 10:10:10 PM »
>Ohhh, exotic.
>Grin. "Trust me, I was a bit lost for words myself when I met Fearless. That's her name, by the way, Fearless Grapefruit. The goat was Thelonius."

« Reply #306 on: February 08, 2016, 10:13:32 PM »
>Ohhh, exotic.
>Grin. "Trust me, I was a bit lost for words myself when I met Fearless. That's her name, by the way, Fearless Grapefruit. The goat was Thelonius."

>"Fearless... Grapefruit. Fearless Grapefruit. Really?" Kagerou shakes her head and laughs. "I think I'd been expecting something a little more harrowing. Um, not that I'm not glad that it wasn't! Though, uh... where did-"
>She shakes her head. "Nevermind, I'm jumping ahead. Continue."

« Reply #307 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:11 PM »
>"Yeah, the harrowing part came when I met Yuuka. That part, I'm glad you weren't there for, Kagerou. That woman is someone I very much hope I never have to see again. Once would have been enough, but she wouldn't give me what I needed. Not unless I did a favor for her. After I was through begging for my life. She enjoyed that part."
>"Now her garden is as pretty and as diverse as the rumors say, but there's still some flowers she didn't have. I had to get one of them for her, which I could find in Val Razua. At least, that was the only place close enough for the time I had. That's why I said 'back' to Yuuka's."
>Take a moment. "I won't lie. I was feeling pretty miserable on the way back to Val R."

« Reply #308 on: February 08, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
>"Yeah, the harrowing part came when I met Yuuka. That part, I'm glad you weren't there for, Kagerou. That woman is someone I very much hope I never have to see again. Once would have been enough, but she wouldn't give me what I needed. Not unless I did a favor for her. After I was through begging for my life. She enjoyed that part."
>"Now her garden is as pretty and as diverse as the rumors say, but there's still some flowers she didn't have. I had to get one of them for her, which I could find in Val Razua. At least, that was the only place close enough for the time I had. That's why I said 'back' to Yuuka's."
>Take a moment. "I won't lie. I was feeling pretty miserable on the way back to Val R."

>Kagerou frowns, as she waits expectantly for you to continue.

« Reply #309 on: February 08, 2016, 11:10:12 PM »
>"I did get the flower she wanted, in the end. It took... A bit of work, and a lot of fast talking, but I got it. But by that point, so much time had passed, and my condition had got to the point that I didn't know if I could make it all the way back to Yuuka's again. But by that point, I had reconnected with Kyouko here." Wave at her. "We'd gotten to know each other the first time I was in the city, she even gave me a place to stay. And after she'd heard everything when I got back, she offered to come with me, to help me back to Yuuka's."
>Pause and frown and ask Kyouko, "Or, did I ask you? I still don't have all my memories quite sorted out yet."

« Reply #310 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:15 PM »
>"I did get the flower she wanted, in the end. It took... A bit of work, and a lot of fast talking, but I got it. But by that point, so much time had passed, and my condition had got to the point that I didn't know if I could make it all the way back to Yuuka's again. But by that point, I had reconnected with Kyouko here." Wave at her. "We'd gotten to know each other the first time I was in the city, she even gave me a place to stay. And after she'd heard everything when I got back, she offered to come with me, to help me back to Yuuka's."
>Pause and frown and ask Kyouko, "Or, did I ask you? I still don't have all my memories quite sorted out yet."

>"You asked, and then I insisted," she says, sounding just a little proud of herself, to be honest. Well, not like she hasn't earned it.
>"So you... went back to the city," Kagerou says, "and then came all the way back out here again?"

« Reply #311 on: February 08, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »
>Nod and nibble. "Yuuka left me with no choice. Even in peak condition, I couldn't have stolen the bittercress from her, and going back to Val R was the only way to get what she wanted in trade."

« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
>Nod and nibble. "Yuuka left me with no choice. Even in peak condition, I couldn't have stolen the bittercress from her, and going back to Val R was the only way to get what she wanted in trade."

>"And she'd just have let you die instead of give you a single flower?"
>"I wanted to shout at her about what a horrible, awful person she was!" Kyouko says. "But... Nazrin made me promise not to. Said it was too dangerous." She still looks disappointed at this fact.

« Reply #313 on: February 09, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
>"My life meant nothing to her. I don't think anyone's life means much to her. She takes being a plant lover to a whole new level. If she didn't think she could use me, I think she'd have killed me the first time around for intruding on her garden."
>Look down. "I'm still trying to figure out why she didn't kill me in the end."

« Reply #314 on: February 09, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
>"My life meant nothing to her. I don't think anyone's life means much to her. She takes being a plant lover to a whole new level. If she didn't think she could use me, I think she'd have killed me the first time around for intruding on her garden."
>Look down. "I'm still trying to figure out why she didn't kill me in the end."

>Kagerou looks sullen. "I'm... not sure what to say."

« Reply #315 on: February 09, 2016, 07:37:45 PM »
>Shake head. "Best thing I can do is stop wondering about the why, and just accept that it happened."
>"Of course, I wouldn't have made it back there at all if not for Kyouko. My strength failed me when we were still a day or two out from Yuuka's. After it was clear I couldn't walk any farther, Kyouko here picked me up and carried me all the rest of the way. Unbeknownst to me, she'd picked a strength potion before we left."

« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
>Shake head. "Best thing I can do is stop wondering about the why, and just accept that it happened."
>"Of course, I wouldn't have made it back there at all if not for Kyouko. My strength failed me when we were still a day or two out from Yuuka's. After it was clear I couldn't walk any farther, Kyouko here picked me up and carried me all the rest of the way. Unbeknownst to me, she'd picked a strength potion before we left."

>"Carried you for days?" Kagerou eyes the yamabiko as if a different person might now be sitting in her chair.
>"It's powerful stuff!" Kyouko says, then cringes. "Tastes awful, though. Absolutely terrible, eugh."

« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2016, 12:19:49 AM »
>Nod. "Between the medicine doing it's job on me, which knocked me out for.... hours, at least, and Kyouko recuperating from the potion's side effects, we were a while getting back on our feet. And that medicine wasn't much better tasting than the stuff you took, Kyouko. When I tell Minoriko about this, I'll tell her to add some seasoning to the stuff if she ever has to make it. Maybe cinnamon."

« Reply #318 on: February 10, 2016, 08:33:41 AM »
>Nod. "Between the medicine doing it's job on me, which knocked me out for.... hours, at least, and Kyouko recuperating from the potion's side effects, we were a while getting back on our feet. And that medicine wasn't much better tasting than the stuff you took, Kyouko. When I tell Minoriko about this, I'll tell her to add some seasoning to the stuff if she ever has to make it. Maybe cinnamon."

>Kyouko giggles.
>"But... it worked, right?" Kagerou says.

« Reply #319 on: February 10, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
>"It worked. By this point, if it hadn't have worked, I wouldn't be here to tell you about it. I think I, I really am better."

« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2016, 05:22:12 PM »
>"It worked. By this point, if it hadn't have worked, I wouldn't be here to tell you about it. I think I, I really am better."

>Kyouko beams, as if she were every bit as happy about this conclusion as you are.
>"I'm glad to hear it," Kagerou says, then slowly shakes her head. "It must have been miserable...."

« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
>"At times, yeah. But, and it sort of amazes me to say this, but, it really could have been worse." Smile at Kyouko. "I wasn't alone."

« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2016, 09:59:53 PM »
>"At times, yeah. But, and it sort of amazes me to say this, but, it really could have been worse." Smile at Kyouko. "I wasn't alone."

>You smile at Kyouko and she smiles back at you - that smile which sustained you through the worst moments of your life. She reaches out a hand and gives your arm a gentle squeeze.
>"Never alone."

« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2016, 10:22:46 PM »
>"And not just you, either. There was you, too, Kagerou, and Neu and Captain Murasa, and Minoriko and Ichirin, and Marisa and Honeysuckle. I had too many people wishing me well to wallow in misery, or consider giving up."
>Lean back and sigh. "Before all this started, I didn't think I'd ever need that sort of thing in my life. Now, though..."

« Reply #324 on: February 10, 2016, 10:38:51 PM »
>"And not just you, either. There was you, too, Kagerou, and Neu and Captain Murasa, and Minoriko and Ichirin, and Marisa and Honeysuckle. I had too many people wishing me well to wallow in misery, or consider giving up."
>Lean back and sigh. "Before all this started, I didn't think I'd ever need that sort of thing in my life. Now, though..."

>"Everyone needs friends," Kyouko says gently.

« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2016, 10:58:34 PM »
>"Oh, I had nothing against friends. I just... I didn't think I'd ever need to rely on 'em, yknow? I figured I was ready for everything and everything."

« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2016, 11:11:39 PM »
>"Oh, I had nothing against friends. I just... I didn't think I'd ever need to rely on 'em, yknow? I figured I was ready for everything and everything."

>"That's not fair to yourself," Kyouko says chidingly. "Nobody can do everything all the time. And they shouldn't have to! What good are friends if you can't lean on them from time to time, right?"
>She glances vaguely in Kagerou's direction as she asks this, as though hoping for backup, but the werewolf just smiles awkwardly.

« Reply #327 on: February 11, 2016, 12:39:16 AM »
>"I never took myself as the leaning kind." Quietly chuckle. "This whole experience... It's given me a lot to process."

« Reply #328 on: February 11, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
>"I never took myself as the leaning kind." Quietly chuckle. "This whole experience... It's given me a lot to process."

>"Well, that part's not so bad, is it?" Kyouko asks gently.
>Kagerou stands up and excuses herself. "I should go check on the tea."

« Reply #329 on: February 11, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
>"No. No it isn't so bad at all."